• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

So I got 6 hours into LA Noire and have given up and gone on Wikipedia to read about the story.

Turns out that the main plot hasn't even really started yet, lol. I was four cases into homicide.

I feel like there's a really good game hidden somewhere in there, covered by the open world nature and the unnecessary padding.

Legend, That's weak. I finished LA noire and I hate bad games .. Yet I enjoyed LA Noire for what it was worth.

It's easy, repetitive as all hell but mostly easy.

I think a lot of people ended up quitting during homicide, I can easily see why as well. The pacing for everything was just broken and the city was way to fucking big, you don't even touch 90% of it.

The best advice for LA Noire is to let your partner do the driving, makes it a lot quicker.

I played through LA Noire with a bunch of friends when we were away on holidays. It's fun in a pack to have a laugh at, but I would imagine as a standalone it would get pretty boring.

wooooo four day weekend coming up, many others taking Friday off?

Nope. Saving up my days off for a trip to Perth (get to take my girlfriend on her first plane trip!) and 4 days off to ride the E3 hype train in June.

Shaneus

Probably 1/2 here.

I really need to avoid PC v PS4 value discussions, what fucking idiots exist in this world. Really.
Ooh, which thread?

My theory is, if Sony are opting to go for more power in their console, then it's basically not much different than having a really good PC. Ergo, there's no point in me getting one. If MS structure their box around a more "living room"-type focus (ie media playing, internet browsing, social stuff) then it would actually complement my PC rather than overlapping it's functions by a large amount. I'll gladly take Kinect over whatever Sony's planning anyway, which at this point seems to be a touchpad on their controller. Whoopty-fucking-do.

Edit:
Ugh, 50p/p freak.

legend166

Legend, That's weak. I finished LA noire and I hate bad games .. Yet I enjoyed LA Noire for what it was worth.

It's easy, repetitive as all hell but mostly easy.

I think a lot of people ended up quitting during homicide, I can easily see why as well. The pacing for everything was just broken and the city was way to fucking big, you don't even touch 90% of it.

The best advice for LA Noire is to let your partner do the driving, makes it a lot quicker.

Meh, I really don't have enough time these days to play games I'm not enjoying. It cost me $5 and I got 6 hours out of it so I'm not angry.

Danoss

Didn't have an opportunity to post this yesterday, but here's another card game from those that brought out The Resistance, Resistance: Avalon, and Flash Point: it's called Coup.

I'm sure there's a good reason it hit $50k in it's first day. If they hit $70k (I'm sure they will) there will be additional promo role cards enabling the game to accommodate 10 players. There's plenty of other goodies to be had, like adding on any of the previous Resistance games and receiving some more promo cards to use in those games for doing so. Already own those games? Add another $6 and get said promo cards.

Looks pretty sweet to me.

Clipper

Damn, I had started ignoring Coup when I noticed it wasn't based on The Resistance, but just set in the same universe. I wasn't aware you could get it with the original games too, so the mention here got me intersted again, but then International shipping made me baulk. And then I saw the stretch goals...

So I'm now paying the $80 for all three games (including shipping). :S

but then International shipping made me baulk.
Fuck the US and their crazy shipping. It's insane. I can't believe the postal service has the gall to consider Canada "overseas", either.

There are group buys of those games... Price hits $15 internationally shipped if going for the 12-pack.

Started off and straight away my legs felt like lead. Got the 'you are halfway' message about 3 blocks earlier than usual, and at one point on the way back I had to start walking about 30 second before the app told me to.
I'm sure if I paid any attention to proper diet, and spent the proper amount of time doing stretching before and after, I wouldn't have days like this morning where I'm absolutely wrecked the whole time, and upon finally managing to get home (my 5km finishes about 500m from home, if I'm feeling alright I'll just run it, this morning I could barely walk it), I had to sit down for a few minutes. Just totally knackered.

Fusebox

Banned
People wouldn't drop $500 on a GPU with PS4 around the corner would they? Surely the PS4 wouldn't cost much more than that and it should be pretty bad-ass for games and graphics and stuff.

markot

Banned
People wouldn't drop $500 on a GPU with PS4 around the corner would they? Surely the PS4 wouldn't cost much more than that and it should be pretty bad-ass for games and graphics and stuff.

Sure, if you want to pay $120 for games and be stuck to the couch!

Rahk

Yeah, a $500 GPU isn't even going to give me 4x the graphics.

Fredescu

If I was still playing video games I'd definitely wait until after the new console generation launches before upgrading. A new console generation means a few more years of poorly optimised PC ports again. You'll want as much power as possible to brute force that.

Shaneus

No idea to be honest, looking at the numbers the 780 will be between a 680 and a Titan.
Fair call. I don't even know where my setup sits compared to a Titan or 680 :/ But I need moar VRAM, 1GB just doesn't cut it. Performance-wise, it shits it in. But once you give it a bit of AA, VRAM usage spikes and it's all over.

I don't think I've ever spent that much on a GPU and thinking about it now, if I'm willing to forsake ultra everything settings and max AA/downsampling I think my setup will last me a good year or two more, I just like the idea of making it even better than it is now ;)

PS. No dice on PS4 yet. Like I mentioned earlier, their focus on POWAH basically means I'm not getting one if my PC is covering exactly the same ground.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I now have a HTC One, It's a phone.

I also have my PSP Vita up and running. I attempted to play some virtue thingy that name escapes me on the train this morning, seemed ok but i was feeling a little off so I had to stop.

Will certainly be playing it tomorrow I think.

English.

Clipper

Fuck the US and their crazy shipping. It's insane. I can't believe the postal service has the gall to consider Canada "overseas", either.
On this KS, they have a different rate for Canada, telling you to select US-based and manually adding the fee.[/QUOTE]

There are group buys of those games... Price hits $15 internationally shipped if going for the 12-pack.
I hadn't considered doing that, actually. We got anybody interested? I'm happy to update my pledge...

senahorse

The reason I am building a new PC is basically I am long overdue and I want to get back to my 2 year cycle and upgrade with each CPU tock. I think current PCs will run ps4/durango games fine for the first year or two as it will take a while to utilize the power and a number of devs have mentioned current games are being developed on PC anyway.

The reason I am building a new PC is basically I am long overdue and I want to get back to my 2 year cycle and upgrade with each CPU tock. I think current PCs will run ps4/durango games fine for the first year or two as it will take a while to utilize the power and a number of devs have mentioned current games are being developed on PC anyway.

They are all developed on PC, even if they don't release the PC version. The devkits don't work unless they are hooked up to a PC.

edit: meaning- There is Red Dead Redemption on PC, just as there is Halo 3, Reach, Halo4, Uncharted, Killzone, etc. Just not outside of the developer's offices.

Fredescu

like a guitar is for me ;), to each their own

Do you approach new CPUs as a hobby? I get that there are people who like to go for the big benchmark numbers and such. I didn't think you were a big overclocker. I like building new PCs too, but I do it for enough family and friends that I get my rocks off that way. My old Q9550 is still doing wonderfully. It's seen out three GPUs.

senahorse

Do you approach new CPUs as a hobby? I get that there are people who like to go for the big benchmark numbers and such. I didn't think you were a big overclocker. I like building new PCs too, but I do it for enough family and friends that I get my rocks off that way. My old Q9550 is still doing wonderfully. It's seen out three GPUs.

Fair question. I do approach it as a hobby to some degree, I really enjoy building things, but that's just a bonus, far from the reason of building/upgrading more often then the norm though. I certainly wouldn't call myself a big modder, currently have my Westmere (edit: Lynnfield) i5 750 overclocked to 3.6Ghz, RAM slightly over voltage and GPU is flashed to 6970 and slightly overclocked.

A few reasons I like to upgrade more often, they may not come across as valid enough for you, and that's fine as we aren't the same person (hence my response about the guitar, maybe not the best analogy but the best I could come up with in the middle of the meeting).

First and foremost I am somewhat of a graphics whore for want of a better term and even more so crave high fps, 60 or bust. I generally find to keep up with that expectation an upgrade every 2-3 years is required. Getting back to a tock cycle allows me to jump in with each major revision of CPU, the next upgrade/build will probably be Skylake for CPU and Volta for GPU (stacking RAM etc). Secondly my current PC has become somewhat unreliable (believe the MB is at fault), the SSD died on Monday, this isn't a reason alone to upgrade (well it is if it breaks :)) but I require a reliable PC for work as I am often on-call and do a lot of work from home (sure this doesn't need a great deal of power but it feeds into benefit one). Another thing we (gf and I) are getting into (still in planning stages here) as a hobby is aerial photography/filming, using HD cameras, soon 4K (when they become affordable) and will want some good processing power, no doubt i7 (multi-threaded) CPU's and more RAM will come in handy.

That's just a few things, not trying to convince you that it isn't money spent as efficiently as possible just that computing is very much a hobby in a lot of respects and if I/we spend a few grand every 2-3 years, it, in my opinion is money well spent. It's kind of like spending a lot of money on a mattress or a computer chair, we spend a lot of our life using them so I would like to have as good an experience as reasonably possible.

You will know why a guitar isn't working like it's supposed to when it screws up. WILL YOU KNOW THAT WITH A CPU?

I certainly wouldn't, I have the musical ability of a gnat.

Fredescu

currently have my Westmere i5 750 overclocked to 3.6Ghz, RAM slightly over voltage and GPU is flashed to 6970 and slightly overclocked.

Your CPU is almost as old as mine. I'm sure you know from that experience that it is quite rare for game performance to be constrained by your CPU. For what it's worth, I don't think it's a waste of money to upgrade your GPU every second cycle. You get tangible benefits out of that.

Still, if you're planning on doing a lot of video processing, new CPUs make sense.

senahorse

Your CPU is almost as old as mine. I'm sure you know from that experience that it is quite rare for game performance to be constrained by your CPU. For what it's worth, I don't think it's a waste of money to upgrade your GPU every second cycle. You get tangible benefits out of that.

Still, if you're planning on doing a lot of video processing, new CPUs make sense.

Definitely, there are some performance gains to be had with gaming and a new CPU but certainly nothing dramatic. In this instance the PC is over 3.5 years old and I am just having issues with it so want to upgrade the whole lot. The next one (Skylake) I will do the lot again due to DDR4 being a standard feature of the chipset, after that, who knows, maybe I will skip a CPU upgrade and go for video alone.

They are all developed on PC, even if they don't release the PC version. The devkits don't work unless they are hooked up to a PC.

edit: meaning- There is Red Dead Redemption on PC, just as there is Halo 3, Reach, Halo4, Uncharted, Killzone, etc. Just not outside of the developer's offices.

Missed this before, I was more so referring to some devs (off the top of my head Ubisoft has said it, pretty sure another big name said the same) saying that the PC was going to be the lead platform, at least for the first generation, due more to the devkits not being available for long I guess, but who knows maybe a large number of multi-plats will favour PC as the lead /wishful thinking.

Shaneus

Shmup fans, check it out.

Also, Dyad finally released today on GOG and Steam. DRM-free pour moi, planning on spending my (soon-to-be approved, I hope) four-day weekend doing my head in with it. Hopefully I can get some crazy 3D hacky support going.

Creator dude seriously looks like Minter's American cousin, as much as his game looks like Tempest 2000's cousin. It's bizarre.

Alice Madness Returns on 360 for $21 posted from Play Asia.

lol best to avoid those people with closed minds

Edit:
Ugh, 50p/p freak.
Get stuffed you silly billy! 50ppp forever!

Also, apparently Hotline Miami on Vita will have exclusive content and online co-op.
MUSTFAP.JPG

Apples & Oranges.

Although consoles are always the easy option if you can't be bothered shopping around. Depends on the timing of the GPU though with the whole competition issue at the moment. I'm still rocking my 460 that I paid $220ish for about 3 years ago and it makes games look delicious and run at above 24fps.

Brad Haddin (vc).

And yes, that means he is the 'preferred keeper'.
Short term solution is a good one. We really didn't have much of a choice sadly.

Game over man, game over.

At least Faulkner is in the squad, give him a trundle and he'll just fire up and start fights and shit.

and at least Johnson and Smith aren't in the squad. (though Smith ended up scoring more runs than most of our batters).

Wade hasn't set the world on fire either but neither has Cowan or many others in the team.

Shaneus

MUSTFAP.JPG
Dude, this is the picture you were looking for:
4iqNaPA.jpg

PS. Oh god I hope P4G is home when I get there. It's weird, I sure do care a lot about a game I never really wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom