• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Islam's rise was so singularly dependent on so many unlikely events and borrowed so much from Christianity and Judaism that I just don't see it happening without Christianity itself being a thing first. Even the war between the Sassanid Persians and Rome that weakened them both to allow it to happen was partly religiously motivated.

If Christianity had fizzled out (as it would have without Saul to spread it so far and wide), what could have replaced it? Judaism and all its offshoots (apart from Christianity) were way too ethnocentric and stuff like Mithraism wasn't expansionist enough. There were messianic/apocalyptic movements, but they all stressed how mysterious and secret its knowledge was, how being a member made you a part of an exclusive club. Hardly good candidates for a worldwide proselytising movement.

Christianity was like that too, originally, both in its Jewish ethnocentrism and its elitism, but some secret sauce was added by Paul of Tarsus that made it highly attractive to lowborn and rich Yahweh-sympathetic Greeks alike. It helped that Paul would have been, for all his protestations of his Jewishness, thoroughly hellenised, probably speaking Greek better than he did Aramaic or Hebrew (Tarsus was an extremely Greek city). Not to psychoanalyse him too much, but his Pharisaic studies and heretic-hunting may have been a conscious rejection of the society in which he was raised in, in favour of the one his family's heritage was tied to. Think of a second generation immigrant teen affecting an accent and wearing visible symbols of his parents' homeland.

Whatever the case, he took a very Jewish sect and morphed it, then packaged it in a very Greek form, turning its gaze outward.

The only thing I can really think of that might have gotten close to doing what Christianity did is Buddhism, but it had a long way travel from Afghanistan to England and would have had to cross over Zoroastrian Persia in order to even break into the former Empire. I just don't see it having gathered enough steam by now.

Rice and almond milk are foul.

Try Zymil. My wife is lactose intolerant and since we switched, she's had no issues. Same great milk taste, no lactose issues.

I'm not talking about Islam, but other messianic sects in the same region, at the same time. Hell, Zoroastrianism could have become something similar. It is not possible to say with any degree of accuracy that without Christianity, Europe would be a barbarian wasteland. Hell, without Christianity fucking it up, the Romans may have had a batter shot at holding off the invasions. Pagan religions of many varieties may have become powerful. It's just not possible to say.

Also, seconding Zymil, I know lactose intolerant people who drink it with no problems.

Fuck yes! Next time I cook chili it will be going on a hot dog.
The one and only time I ever had a chili dog was at a baseball game in the US. It was glorious. I think I'll be saving some of whatever slop I end up making and using it for this (I also usually make nachos with it). Thanks for the reminder! Grabbed the stuff tonight, so I think I'll make this most sombre of holidays chili day.

What the fuck? How the fuck?
Don't know. Don't know. Whoever first did it is a god among men.

Whats a good non dairy milk i can try? Rice or almond or....
The wife drinks "Soy Milky" soy. It doesn't really taste like milk but it's not bad. I pretty much gave up on milk last year because I didn't really see any benefit in it. The milk we have in supermarkets is so bland I may as well not bother with it. Don't miss it at all. OK, I lie, after having probably less than half a litre in a year, I wanted a milkshake last weekend. Wasn't interested in plain milk though.

Guess I'm lucky I'm not lactose intolerant--the current beer in the fermenter is a milk chocolate stout (or, alternatively, a lacto chocolate stout). Has about 250g of lactose in it.

Fusebox

Banned
Fuck yes! Next time I cook chili it will be going on a hot dog. Fucking Sonic. How have I never done this before?!?

tumblr_lur9tyen821qjhjgyo1_r1_500.jpg

Hell yeah, love me a good chili dog.

In Sydney there's a famous little caravan by the water in Woolomoloo called Harrys Cafe De Wheels which is a bit of an institution:

http://www.harryscafedewheels.com.au/

I always get their Chili Dog:

chilli_dog.jpg

Continential Viennese smoked frankfurt served with freshly cooked spicy chilli con carne and chilli sauce.

Their little menu thumbnail pic doesn't do it justice, I'll take a photo next time I'm there.

edit: Dammit, took me 11 minutes to make this post and by the time I was done...

I'm not talking about Islam, but other messianic sects in the same region, at the same time. Hell, Zoroastrianism could have become something similar. It is not possible to say with any degree of accuracy that without Christianity, Europe would be a barbarian wasteland. Hell, without Christianity fucking it up, the Romans may have had a batter shot at holding off the invasions. Pagan religions of many varieties may have become powerful. It's just not possible to say.
How, exactly?

The barbarian invasions were about plunder at first, then carving out petty kingdoms in Roman territory later on. How does the religion of the invaded change the overstretched military situation or the financial problems the central government was experiencing? How does it prevent the senatorial class retreating to their vast country estates and leaving the cities bereft of public patronage and the armies bereft of soldiers?

Classical Paganism would have done nothing to prevent any of this and was, in any case, already dying off by the time Christianity had come along. The cults of Sol Invictus, Isis, Osiris, Mithras and a host of other mystery religions had already largely supplanted the traditional Roman pantheon during the middle Empire, all except for Jupiter, who had come to have a quasi-monotheistic following all across the Empire. People kept the Roman gods around, because of tradition, heritage and good luck, but in many cities, their temples were empty and crumbling even before Christianity came along.

Seriously, all Christianity did was kick in the door and the whole edifice fell down.

But could Classical Paganism have held the various parts of the Empire together despite being parts of different polities? With how moribund and chaotic it was, I highly doubt it.

Zoroastrianism is one of those funny ones as it seems to vacillate between expansion and introspection. It was very closely identified with Persian ethnic identity and Persian power at the time, but could easily have spread over the Levant and Egypt like Islam had a Persian invasion ever succeeded. Even a major steppe tribe adopting it and invading the west might've been enough, given that monotheism seemed to have been an idea whose time had come. If that had happened, maybe Sweden would be a Zoroastrian country today.

Dead Man

How, exactly?

The barbarian invasions were about plunder at first, then carving out petty kingdoms in Roman territory later on. How does the religion of the invaded change the overstretched military situation or the financial problems the central government was experiencing? How does it prevent the senatorial class retreating to their vast country estates and leaving the cities bereft of public patronage and the armies bereft of soldiers?

Classical Paganism would have done nothing to prevent any of this and was, in any case, already dying off by the time Christianity had come along. The cults of Sol Invictus, Isis, Osiris, Mithras and a host of other mystery religions had already largely supplanted the traditional Roman pantheon during the middle Empire, all except for Jupiter, who had come to have a quasi-monotheistic following all across the Empire. People kept the Roman gods around, because of tradition, heritage and good luck, but in many cities, their temples were empty and crumbling even before Christianity came along.

Seriously, all Christianity did was kick in the door and the whole edifice fell down.

But could Classical Paganism have held the various parts of the Empire together despite being parts of different polities? With how moribund and chaotic it was, I highly doubt it.

Zoroastrianism is one of those funny ones as it seems to vacillate between expansion and introspection. It was very closely identified with Persian ethnic identity and Persian power at the time, but could easily have spread over the Levant and Egypt like Islam had a Persian invasion ever succeeded. Even a major steppe tribe adopting it and invading the west might've been enough, given that monotheism seemed to have been an idea whose time had come. If that had happened, maybe Sweden would be a Zoroastrian country today.

I'm saying it would have prevented any one event, but to claim that without Saul Europe would have stagnated is rubbish. It may have, it may not have.

Fogz

Im starting to think i might be somewhat lactose intol.

Might grab one tonight for testing purposes.

I logged in to gaf for a reason, the above wasnt it. Ive gone blank.

I just use Liddell brand Lactose Free milk. Its like $2.50 for one of those 1 litre long life cartons but does the trick for me.

Shaneus

$10.12 each until the sale ends in 10 hours.
I love the aesthetic of it, I've watched a video or two but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it or not. But if you're up for springing for the four pack, I'm definitely in.

I'm assuming it has some kind of single player?

Been banned once, but it was a fair cop. No complaints.
1. Called Vettel a cunt in the F1 thread (when it was still bannable)
2. Made a (what I thought was a fairly innocuous) "would" in that thread about the UK girl who had a tongue extension (I think along the lines of "probably kinda would") and was the first of many in what became a scene not unlike something from a war movie.
3. Posted a pic quoting Idiocracy, but I think it was interpreted that I was calling the OP "gay" as opposed to it being an indication of how the English language was going to evolve. Definitely the harshest out of all three IMO.

Im starting to think i might be somewhat lactose intol.

Liddel's Lactose Free. Basically just like regular milk, but whatever enzyme it has that makes me queazy has been replaced with another one that doesn't. I get the low fat one because they're all kinda sweet and that particular one sort of balances out so it tastes like normal milk.

You can also get tablets that help you digest lactose if you're intolerant but can't get out of having to eat it (ie. at a restaurant or something). They sell them at Chemist Warehouse and are called "Lactese" (from memory).

The one and only time I ever had a chili dog was at a baseball game in the US. It was glorious. I think I'll be saving some of whatever slop I end up making and using it for this (I also usually make nachos with it). Thanks for the reminder! Grabbed the stuff tonight, so I think I'll make this most sombre of holidays chili day.
One of my favourite bachelor creations is getting some Stagg chilli (I know, but I'm lazy) and eating it out of a bowl that's lined with corn chips. If you want to go the whole hog, apparently chilli makes a great nacho topping as well (kinda where I got the idea from).

Ugh, chilli. So good.

PS. Dyad still not available yet. WTF.

Fogz

Liddel's Lactose Free. Basically just like regular milk, but whatever enzyme it has that makes me queazy has been replaced with another one that doesn't. I get the low fat one because they're all kinda sweet and that particular one sort of balances out so it tastes like normal milk.

Because they seem to have a lot of sugar in them.

I'm saying it would have prevented any one event, but to claim that without Saul Europe would have stagnated is rubbish. It may have, it may not have.
Sure. I'm just speculating, which was originally a response to somebody fantising about going back in time and smothering Christianity in the grave, the implication being that things would be better had Christianity never spread beyond Judea. I disagreed and provided a plausible alternative scenario citing historical trends at play at the time.

The enlightenment-era historical revisionist views on Christianity and its supposedly damaging effect on history are common, but are deliberately blinkered and ignore quite a lot of pertinent facts of history. It's like the idea that Richard the Lion Hearted was a great English king as opposed to a neglectful Angevin adventurer who happened to hold the throne of England as the least part of a French baronial empire.

Dead Man

Sure. I'm just speculating, which was originally a response to somebody fantising about going back in time and smothering Christianity in the grave, the implication being that things would be better had Christianity never spread beyond Judea. I disagreed and provided a plausible alternative scenario citing historical trends at play at the time.

The enlightenment-era historical revisionist views on Christianity and its supposedly damaging effect on history are common, but are deliberately blinkered and ignore quite a lot of pertinent facts of history. It's like the idea that Richard the Lion Hearted was a great English king as opposed to a neglectful Angevin adventurer who happened to hold the throne of England as the least part of a French baronial empire.

It certainly would have been very different, but I don't think it is possible to say it would have been better or worse. I agree that it does sometimes get a bad rap, but it also caused a lot of problems at times, same as any other mass social change.

I don't really like chilli.
You're wrong.

One of my favourite bachelor creations is getting some Stagg chilli (I know, but I'm lazy)
I used to looooooooove Stagg Chili. Not sure what happened, but one day I just went off it. Picked up one a few years back and didn't enjoy it at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just think the canned flavour got to me, it seemed to permeate into the taste somehow.

Rahk

I love the aesthetic of it, I've watched a video or two but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it or not. But if you're up for springing for the four pack, I'm definitely in.

I'm assuming it has some kind of single player?
Yeah, I'm not totally sure I'd enjoy it either. There is single player and different stories for each of the characters. I'm worried that might be the way to play it (at least for a first playthrough) as it seems like 4 players could turn into a bit of a clusterfuck, although I guess that could be what makes it fun.

There was a short IGN playthrough of a mission that was uploaded not long ago if you want to check that out. Can't link it as I'm on my phone.

I'll decide if I get a 4 pack once I get home and if I can find at least one other person.

It certainly would have been very different, but I don't think it is possible to say it would have been better or worse. I agree that it does sometimes get a bad rap, but it also caused a lot of problems at times, same as any other mass social change.
Of course it caused problems at various points, it's had a 2000 year history, nearly all of it chaotic and in among a political situation (empire, invasion, feudalism, reformation/counter-reformation) that was nothing but perpetual turmoil. On the Internet though, it seems that there are those who are very quick to ascribe all that is evil and barbaric in the modern world to Christianity, which is puzzling to say the least.

Dead Man

Of course it caused problems at various points, it's had a 2000 year history, nearly all of it chaotic and in among a political situation (empire, invasion, feudalism, reformation/counter-reformation) that was nothing but perpetual turmoil. On the Internet though, it seems that there are those who are very quick to ascribe all that is evil and barbaric in the modern world to Christianity, which is puzzling to say the least.

LOL, yeah that is a horrendous over simplifications, and just wrong.

Rahk

You're wrong.

I used to looooooooove Stagg Chili. Not sure what happened, but one day I just went off it. Picked up one a few years back and didn't enjoy it at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just think the canned flavour got to me, it seemed to permeate into the taste somehow.
I had Stagg Chili for the first time a few weeks ago and canned flavour is an apt description. Tasted like canned soup but in chili form.

Shaneus

Yeah, I'm not totally sure I'd enjoy it either. There is single player and different stories for each of the characters. I'm worried that might be the way to play it (at least for a first playthrough) as it seems like 4 players could turn into a bit of a clusterfuck, although I guess that could be what makes it fun.

There was a short IGN playthrough of a mission that was uploaded not long ago if you want to check that out. Can't link it as I'm on my phone.

I'll decide if I get a 4 pack once I get home and if I can find at least one other person.
Just watched and heard the description and... eh, not sure if I'm keen to be honest. It actually feels like the sort of game I *should* be interested in, but I don't think I am. And given there's a strong focus on MP, it's another straw that breaks that particular camel's back.

My memory of it is vague, but I believe an Aussie hacked the forum and on trying to find out who the whole place turned hostile to any known Aussie.
I remember it was so harsh that even years afterward I was hesitant to post in AusGAF at first.

Yep that sounds familiar. Cheers!

I have lots of tuna. canned salmon too when I'm feeling whimsical in the supermarket.

Only found out canned chicken was a thing last week. Got a few cans, will become a staple of mine when I'm out at uni or work or something. It's made in thailand but idgaf dat protein

Kritz

Banned
Scores threads based on matched positive/negative keywords. High scoring threads are highlighted, low ones are greyed out. Keywords easily editable at the top of the script.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/review/165302

I hope you don't mind, but I made some slight changes to your script:

Just makes it look a bit less garish than five different layouts all clashing together at once. I also made the colours 'encourage' good threads, not punish bad ones.
(I will also probably flip the good and bad keywords since I don't care at all about game news and rumours, but I enjoy reading discussion)

Shaneus

Best thing that happened to me today? Came home and forgot that I put seasons 1-9 into Sickbeard on my NAS a week or two ago. Now I don't have to dig out my DVDs! Woo!

Kritz

Banned
I'd feel really weird if I ever pirated the Simpsons. Not because, y'know, piracy. But because it'd just seem so off to watch Simpsons out of syndication. I never, as a child, actively sought out Simpsons to watch - it was just always on.

To be able to just go out and get The Simpsons, in a form where I could watch any episode any time I wanted to, is frankly bizarre to me.

But I still want to do it some day. Do a season 1-12 marathon.

Gazunta

Dead Man and VKS I just wanna say most of what you're saying is going straight over my head but MAN is it interesting to read.

Also. Finally bought the plane tickets to Melbourne for PAX. EXCITED AS ALL HELL.

Shaneus

season 1-9 of what
edit"actually im going to guess simpsons?
This is correct. I actually posted that in the Simpsons thread first, but didn't realise I wasn't at all specific when I posted it in here.

PS. I'm happy to say that the Dyad preorder page has been removed. Yay.

Also. Finally bought the plane tickets to Melbourne for PAX. EXCITED AS ALL HELL.
Will you sign my copy of Party Animals and the other Viva Pinata games?

I'd feel really weird if I ever pirated the Simpsons. Not because, y'know, piracy. But because it'd just seem so off to watch Simpsons out of syndication. I never, as a child, actively sought out Simpsons to watch - it was just always on.

To be able to just go out and get The Simpsons, in a form where I could watch any episode any time I wanted to, is frankly bizarre to me.

But I still want to do it some day. Do a season 1-12 marathon.
Difference with The Simpsons is I actually have all these seasons on DVD. Laziness has prevailed in this case.

Gazunta

Will you sign my copy of Party Animals and the other Viva Pinata games?
Sure, and I'll be selling unsold copies of Viva Piñata Party Animals in the PAX Australia carpark after the show! :p

Plane tickets almost doubled in price over the past week. Don't delay, folks!

Ten/11 seem to only cycle through S10-present now anyway so you can't rely on syndication these days unless you're one of those big-time pay tv havin' people.

I have the first half of the show on DVD but still need to get 6-10.

I hope you don't mind, but I made some slight changes to your script
Do whatever you like to it. I did mention the design was a bit ugly pretty much the first post we discussed it.

It greys out posts based on my preferences but that's why I put the arrays at the top, so it's easy to customise.

Originally I had it fully hiding threads, and it was pretty aggressive. Out of 200 threads on a page, there were usually fewer than ten. That's why I did the scoring thing. If there's a keyword you REALLY want to see, just put it in the array a few times (or the opposite for ones you definitely don't want).

It was originally created after a discussion about how many terrible posts are in Gaming right now.

Danoss

You can also get tablets that help you digest lactose if you're intolerant but can't get out of having to eat it (ie. at a restaurant or something). They sell them at Chemist Warehouse and are called "Lactese" (from memory).

Thanks for that, turns out I'm now lactose intolerant too. It seems that my tolerance has been gradually decreasing over time and has not reached a point where I can't touch even the smallest amount without feeling pretty ill.

Was sad at not being able to have all the wonderful dairy products. At least I can buy that milk and still have cereal and stuff. Great change in diet coming as many of the meals I had involve some kind of dairy.

Do not reveal the below spoiler if you're easily grossed out.

Tonight my Gran shat on the toilet floor, stepped in it and traipsed it halfway through the house.
Just mentioning that she had done so when asked what I was doing when going to clean it up was enough to spark a hail of abuse. My mother is here and is joining in my gran that it must have been the dog (that had been sleeping by our feet all day, also, locked door) and agreeing about how terrible I am.

Sorry, I just had to complain about that. Getting real fucking jack of it.

At least I got a referral to a psychiatrist today. Hopefully get my ADD/ADHD, associated anxiety and depression and who knows what else under control sometime soon.

Shaneus

Thanks for that, turns out I'm now lactose intolerant too. It seems that my tolerance has been gradually decreasing over time and has not reached a point where I can't touch even the smallest amount without feeling pretty ill.

Was sad at not being able to have all the wonderful dairy products. At least I can buy that milk and still have cereal and stuff. Great change in diet coming as many of the meals I had involve some kind of dairy.
Tell me about it! The tablets definitely help, and for some reason I'm not as bad as I used to be (though I guess I'm somewhat avoiding dairy-heavy products) but sometimes I lapse and just think "fuck it", like Christmas last year when I had pudding with cream, ice-cream and custard AND I think some cheesecake... yeah, I wasn't in the best state when I got home :/

At least I got a referral to a psychiatrist today. Hopefully get my ADD/ADHD, associated anxiety and depression and who knows what else under control sometime soon.
This is fucking awesome to hear, dude. I know you're not flash on medication but even if you don't go down that route, even just talking to someone who's well versed in ADHD can be a great help. Even better if you talk to someone who's a qualified medical practitioner who also happens to have it (like I have) but man, just hearing you're taking steps is a fucking awesome thing :)

What a fucking dick move by Polari. Non-contributing, antagonistic waste of a post (and space in general).

Jintor

I'm searching every nook and cranny for voxaphones. I'm hanging on Liz's every word. Just things move... really quickly. I feel like plot points are telegraphed fairly obviously and then executed in strange ways.

I really like the quantum mechanic twins though. They're pretty cool.

Dead Man

Do not reveal the below spoiler if you're easily grossed out.

Tonight my Gran shat on the toilet floor, stepped in it and traipsed it halfway through the house.
Just mentioning that she had done so when asked what I was doing when going to clean it up was enough to spark a hail of abuse. My mother is here and is joining in my gran that it must have been the dog (that had been sleeping by our feet all day, also, locked door) and agreeing about how terrible I am.

Sorry, I just had to complain about that. Getting real fucking jack of it.

That sucks about the dog and you being blamed, utter bollocks. Good to hear you got a referral though, good luck.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The more I play of Bioshock Infinite the more confused I become as to the crazed praise.

I really loved the game, but I don't side with the manic praise. BioShock got a similar treatment upon release, which I think some people forget as time went by. I didn't feel it it at the time unlike I do with Infinite, but I think Infinite will get a similar treatment, where cynicism slowly seeps into the collective gaming consciousness as time goes by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom