• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, AusGAF! Who likes chili? I'm talking about this awesome stuff:
300px-Pot-o-chili.jpg

It's starting to get a bit cold, my chili plants are starting to finish up production, so it seems a good time to dump a bunch of them into a pot with meat (and beans, but I'm a heathen) and somehow make it tasty. I'm planning on making some this weekend -- anyone interested in a virtual chili cookoff where we don't get the best part of tasting it?

Kritz

Banned
So me and deafMutes may be in the next Utas advertisement as extras. Blurred out. In the background. Walking.

Lots of walking.

Dead Man

300px-Pot-o-chili.jpg

It's starting to get a bit cold, my chili plants are starting to finish up production, so it seems a good time to dump a bunch of them into a pot with meat (and beans, but I'm a heathen) and somehow make it tasty. I'm planning on making some this weekend -- anyone interested in a virtual chili cookoff where we don't get the best part of tasting it?

I have never made it from scratch, but I do make a bastardised version using taco seasoning and plenty of chillis. Beans are a must in chilli too, fuck the haters. I don't know if I will have time for cooking this weekend, but I definitely want to see what you make.

Stackboy

So Lexi is really keen to come back and hang out with us Ausgaf schlebs when she is unbanned. She is so keen, in fact, she wants to join the Ausgaf steam group.

How does she go about this? I forget and aren't at home at the moment.

She's likely reading this too HI LEXI.

Rahk

So Lexi is really keen to come back and hang out with us Ausgaf schlebs when she is unbanned. She is so keen, in fact, she wants to join the Ausgaf steam group.

How does she go about this? I forget and aren't at home at the moment.

She's likely reading this too HI LEXI.
Probably easiest to just join the chatroom and ask in there for an invite.

Gazunta

I have yet to be banned from NeoGAF. Even when all of Australia was banned I was somehow still on here :/

So who else is taking a 4 day weekend in a few hours? Who else will spend zero hours of that actually playing video games?

Dead Man

I have yet to be banned from NeoGAF. Even when all of Australia was banned I was somehow still on here :/

So who else is taking a 4 day weekend in a few hours? Who else will spend zero hours of that actually playing video games?
I've been on a 4 day weekend since this morning, but I have to work on Sat.
Never been banned. I'm a good egg. I'm not an actual egg though.

Fakes. The pair of you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've been banned three times. Scrubs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is there a way to check? I can't remember if I've been banned twice or thrice.

Only mods can check. Three you for you. One in 2008, one in 2009, and another earlier this year.

Two for Dead Man.

Clipper

I've never been banned, but I have been partially responsible for people being banned... and also for people receiving 'dire consequences', which some deemed were actually worse than a ban at the time :p.

Omikron

Really? One recent, one a few years ago, but after that one I was sure it was at two. Oh well, I must be better behaved than I thought! :)

Need to troll harder.

I've never been banned, but I have been partially responsible for people being banned... and also for people receiving 'dire consequences', which some deemed were actually worse than a ban at the time :p.

Strangely not surprised.

I'm faultless. I'm always right. I could never be banned!

Also you would miss my bargains. Especially you Shaneus, with your Vita jRPG that you have a history of loving.

300px-Pot-o-chili.jpg

Fuck yes! Next time I cook chili it will be going on a hot dog. Fucking Sonic. How have I never done this before?!?

tumblr_lur9tyen821qjhjgyo1_r1_500.jpg

I have never made it from scratch, but I do make a bastardised version using taco seasoning and plenty of chillis. Beans are a must in chilli too, fuck the haters. I don't know if I will have time for cooking this weekend, but I definitely want to see what you make.

brofist.jpg

jambo

Never been banned.

Never had custom title.

Almost 12,000 posts and still going strong.

Did you pull an Omiee?

jambo

Went to the midnight screening of Iron Man Three last night.

It was pretty awesome, way better than the second one, with dashes of The Avengers and some great comedy and action scenes.

As always, stay until after the credits.

It was pretty awesome, way better than the second one, with dashes of The Avengers and some great comedy and action scenes.

Rezbit and I will be seeing this tonight. Don't have high hopes for it due to hating Iron Man 2 (or as I like to call it, the teaser trailer for the Avengers).

jambo

Rezbit and I will be seeing this tonight. Don't have high hopes for it due to hating Iron Man 2 (or as I like to call it, the teaser trailer for the Avengers).

I really didn't like Iron Man 2, but loved this one.

It's very much in the same style as The Avengers and the newer Marvel movies.

SHANE FUCKING BLACK will deliver. I just know it. Hoping to slip into the local theater sometime tomorrow if I can fight through the hoards of 12 year olds who will forever associate Anzac day with Iron Man.

jambo

The last battle of Iron Man Three left me in the same state as the final section of The Avengers. A huge smile on my face.

Shaneus

I asked in Steam chat if anyone wanted to get a 4 pack but there was no interest. Not quite sure if I want it yet.
Fucking hell, as if anyone worthwhile goes into Steam chat anyway.

I'm keen. What's it worth in the four pack?

ausgaf initiation. get banned to become part of the team.
It's harder to get banned now that "cunt" is an acceptable term :/

So who else is taking a 4 day weekend in a few hours?
Me!
Who else will spend zero hours of that actually playing video games?
Not me.

I've been banned three times. Scrubs.
You can be banned and still become a mod? There's still hope!

I'm faultless. I'm always right. I could never be banned!

Also you would miss my bargains. Especially you Shaneus, with your Vita jRPG that you have a history of loving.
Funny guy.

Fuck yes! Next time I cook chili it will be going on a hot dog. Fucking Sonic. How have I never done this before?!?

tumblr_lur9tyen821qjhjgyo1_r1_500.jpg
What the fuck? How the fuck?

Axiom

Been here forever, barely have a post count, no bans and no titles.

Used to hang out in IRC with Dragona and a few others and when I was looking for a new forum she suggested GAF.

I remember this being mentioned before but what are you referring to?

My memory of it is vague, but I believe an Aussie hacked the forum and on trying to find out who the whole place turned hostile to any known Aussie.
I remember it was so harsh that even years afterward I was hesitant to post in AusGAF at first.

Link it here! I'll read it!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55032380&postcount=77

Sorry for the lateness. I went to bed.
But Saul of Tarsus was a jerk. You have also assumed there would be no other civilising influence on Europe. Saul did not start any civil movement of greater freedoms and rights, other than religious. You say Mediterranean culture would still be classical and fucked compared to modern democratic culture, but Christianity at the time after Saul was still very different to what we have now.

Yes, I could have posted that in the thread, but you went all Holy :)
Doesn't matter what Saul did. The Paul and Thecla thing was just an example of the cultural quirks of early Christianity not many people know about. People assume it's this one big monolithic thing from beginning to end and that everything retrograde or repressive in Western culture stems directly from Christianity, which is not the case at all.

The fact is the Graeco-Romans were just kinda jerks like that.

Also, what other unifying or civilising influences can you name that would have reached the Norwegian warlords at the end of the world other than Christianity and have done it as quickly? There were hundreds of years during which monasteries and churches were the only stone buildings in the far wild north and monasteries the main source for spreading useful things like paper and post-stone-age level farming techniques. Without Christianity sowing the seeds, the tribesmen up north would have done what their fathers had done and their fathers before them, all the way back to the dawn of time - pointedly not build cities or write stuff down.

Even discounting all that, with the political situation as it was, the church was the only thing holding anything together. Even by Late Antiquity, people had lost faith in the central government and thought of themselves as Hispanians, Provencals or North Africans first, Romans second. When Belisarius took Rome from the Gothic kings in Italy, his army was regarded as an alien force. Without the Church giving the disparate parts of the former Western Empire a common identity, what hope could there have been for a renaissance in Italy to reach far-off Britain, or Germany or Spain?

It's why I don't put effort into my posts much anymore. And why I stick almost exclusively in AusGAF.
Fair enough.

That's good news. The trailer made it look pretty great.

Dead Man

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55032380&postcount=77

Sorry for the lateness. I went to bed.

Doesn't matter what Saul did. The Paul and Thecla thing was just an example of the cultural quirks of early Christianity not many people know about. People assume it's this one big monolithic thing from beginning to end and that everything retrograde or repressive in Western culture stems directly from Christianity, which is not the case at all.

The fact is the Graeco-Romans were just kinda jerks like that.

Also, what other unifying or civilising influences can you name that would have reached the Norwegian warlords at the end of the world other than Christianity and have done it as quickly? There were hundreds of years during which monasteries and churches were the only stone buildings in the far wild north and monasteries the main source for spreading useful things like paper and post-stone-age level farming techniques. Without Christianity sowing the seeds, the tribesmen up north would have done what their fathers had done and their fathers before them, all the way back to the dawn of time - pointedly not build cities or write stuff down.

Even discounting all that, with the political situation as it was, the church was the only thing holding anything together. Even by Late Antiquity, people had lost faith in the central government and thought of themselves as Hispanians, Provencals or North Africans first, Romans second. When Belisarius took Rome from the Gothic kings in Italy, his army was regarded as an alien force. Without the Church giving the disparate parts of the former Western Empire a common identity, what hope could there have been for a renaissance in Italy to reach far-off Britain, or Germany or Spain?

Fair enough.

Without Christianity spreading as it did, there could easily have been another middle eastern/levant messianic religion that did the same, there were many competing religions in the area at the time that were broadly similar.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Im starting to think i might be somewhat lactose intol.

Whats a good non dairy milk i can try? Rice or almond or....

Might grab one tonight for testing purposes.

I logged in to gaf for a reason, the above wasnt it. Ive gone blank.

Without Christianity spreading as it did, there could easily have been another middle eastern/levant messianic religion that did the same, there were many competing religions in the area at the time that were broadly similar.
Islam's rise was so singularly dependent on so many unlikely events and borrowed so much from Christianity and Judaism that I just don't see it happening without Christianity itself being a thing first. Even the war between the Sassanid Persians and Rome that weakened them both to allow it to happen was partly religiously motivated.

If Christianity had fizzled out (as it would have without Saul to spread it so far and wide), what could have replaced it? Judaism and all its offshoots (apart from Christianity) were way too ethnocentric and stuff like Mithraism wasn't expansionist enough. There were messianic/apocalyptic movements, but they all stressed how mysterious and secret its knowledge was, how being a member made you a part of an exclusive club. Hardly good candidates for a worldwide proselytising movement.

Christianity was like that too, originally, both in its Jewish ethnocentrism and its elitism, but some secret sauce was added by Paul of Tarsus that made it highly attractive to lowborn and rich Yahweh-sympathetic Greeks alike. It helped that Paul would have been, for all his protestations of his Jewishness, thoroughly hellenised, probably speaking Greek better than he did Aramaic or Hebrew (Tarsus was an extremely Greek city). Not to psychoanalyse him too much, but his Pharisaic studies and heretic-hunting may have been a conscious rejection of the society in which he was raised in, in favour of the one his family's heritage was tied to. Think of a second generation immigrant teen affecting an accent and wearing visible symbols of his parents' homeland.

Whatever the case, he took a very Jewish sect and morphed it, then packaged it in a very Greek form, turning its gaze outward.

The only thing I can really think of that might have gotten close to doing what Christianity did is Buddhism, but it had a long way travel from Afghanistan to England and would have had to cross over Zoroastrian Persia in order to even break into the former Empire. I just don't see it having gathered enough steam by now.

Im starting to think i might be somewhat lactose intol.

Whats a good non dairy milk i can try? Rice or almond or....

Might grab one tonight for testing purposes.

I logged in to gaf for a reason, the above wasnt it. Ive gone blank.
Rice and almond milk are foul.

Try Zymil. My wife is lactose intolerant and since we switched, she's had no issues. Same great milk taste, no lactose issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom