• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1759850/Australian-internet-speeds-fall-23-per-cent/
Average internet speeds fell sharply in Australia during 2012, according to a new report that ranked the country 41 out of 98 nations for the pace of its online connections.

Average connection speeds fell 23 per cent in the calendar year 2012, against a global rise of five per cent, according to the latest State of the Internet report by Akamai Technologies, a US-based computing firm.

But we can't afford a FTTH NBN, right Tony?

It is bullshit, but I don't have to tell you that. The dog is a tiny Chihuahua that can almost sit in the palm of your hand, unless it can shit half its body weight, common sense should prevail. Hopefully Mr Psychiatrist can help make this shit easier to deal with, thank you.
Yeah, no way in hell they actually believe the bullshit they are spouting either, that sucks. They aren't even wrong. But yeah, Mr Headshrinker should hopefully be able to help, even if it just trying a few different prescriptions. Psychopharmacology is still a long way from perfect, but for many things there have been good advances in the last 5 years.
Dead Man and VKS I just wanna say most of what you're saying is going straight over my head but MAN is it interesting to read.

Also. Finally bought the plane tickets to Melbourne for PAX. EXCITED AS ALL HELL.
LOL, all I was doing was digging at VKS's ideas, I wasn't really contributing anything, glad it worked for you though :)

I like testing peoples patience!

Also yeah, less we forget the bravery of millions of people who committed themselves to our defence. Glad that a lot of Aussies will be home this year.

Social media scares me.

OK AusGAF, I made chili today in my solo chili cookoff. I guess I won.

Here's the beans (borlotti, kidney and some black I had leftover) before I soaked them overnight and the chili cooking (that's a 7.6L pot):
3c14e53aacc711e283fe22000a1fa511_6.jpg
19ffb3b4ad6011e28d7822000a1fa48d_6.jpg

Just after dishing up around 3pm (didn't eat until dinner time, because as we all know, chili is better after sitting around for a bit) and when serving for dinner, with a SarsBEERilla Stout from Grand Ridge Brewery in Vic (stout made with sarsaparilla root):
e2fb820aad6711e29c2822000a1fbe4c_6.jpg
6a4bd678ad8211e2ad7a22000a9f3090_6.jpg

I didn't really go with a recipe, just 1kg of diced oyster blade beef, 1kg of minced beef, and probably 1kg of the mixed beans (not sure, was just a big bowl full after soaking overnight).

I cooked the beans in some water for 60-90 minutes, browned the beef with some onions in a separate pot (diced first, minced after a bit) then chucked in some ground cayenne, cumin and paprika. Once all good I put the beef into the pot with the beans (leaving the water in there) and added more of the spices with a little garlic until it seemed about right. I also added nine cayenne chilies from the garden (some green, some orange, some red). I added some more of the spices occasionally in around 30 minute intervals after tasting each time.

Overall it's pretty good (probably one of the best chili batches I've made without a recipe or bag of pre-mixed spices). The beef has a little fat still on it and it's missing some 'middle' flavours (maybe some brown sugar could have helped), but I'm happy with it. Good thing too since there's a shitload of it. Spicy enough, could've been spicier. Probably 2-3 alarm.

Dead Man

thats a big pot!

i can't see, but is there rice under it? or do you just eat chilli as is?

I often eat as is, but it's always better with rice. If there is anything that working with middle eastern people has taught me over the last couple years, it's that everything is better with rice.

Fusebox

Banned
Now I want one of reps chili dogs too!! I drank a load of beers at a BBQ lunch and those pics above are like the exact perfect food I'm craving right this second.

Thanks guys. Haven't made chili for ages.

i can't see, but is there rice under it? or do you just eat chilli as is?
Nope, just as is. Proper chili doesn't have rice (not that it doesn't go well with it). I did have a few corn chips with it, sometimes will include cheese and sour cream.

It's more like a stew or curry, made mostly with beef, chilies, chili powder and cumin. Purists dislike beans but tons of people (me included) like them.

And I don't know that I would call any non meat Texas Chilli, I've seen plenty of Mexican recipes that have no meat.
Yeah, Chili Con Carne literally means chili with meat, but you can make it with whatever. Turkey chili is quite popular, as is vegetarian chili (often just beans).

Dead Man

Alright! I emailed the damn pictures to myself and uploaded them.

Fuck it tasted good.

Chili (con carne if it includes meat, otherwise it is Texas chili damnit!) can definitely go with rice. We always have it with rice and sour cream. My sons favourite meal!

I think I have some hotdogs in the freezer and a can of chilli somewhere...

And I don't know that I would call any non meat Texas Chilli, I've seen plenty of Mexican recipes that have no meat.

Oh also Chili Sin Carne is fucking awesome, swap out the meat for potato and you got yourself a stew goin'.
tumblr_kw9h1uBZot1qa1t4co1_400.jpg

That's right Mr. Weathers, a fucking delicious stew that is. Even the greenies can enjoy that!
Carl+Weathers+Carl.jpg

Well, Chili Sin Carne really just means chili without meat, Mr Weathers. Potatoes, mushrooms, beans, capsicums, corn, tofu... whatever really.

Played some more Black Mesa today, until I found out it's missing the last 1/4 of the game. WTF?

markot

Banned
Oh also Chili Sin Carne is fucking awesome, swap out the meat for potato and you got yourself a stew goin'.
tumblr_kw9h1uBZot1qa1t4co1_400.jpg

That's right Mr. Weathers, a fucking delicious stew that is. Even the greenies can enjoy that!
Carl+Weathers+Carl.jpg

Racist. Theyre not the same person!

Anyway, why this fire emblem so popular compared to old ones? Is it the animu?!

The discussion about adult ADHD you guys are having is making me think I might have it. I went online and looked up the symptoms and the inability to sit still, procrastination, tendency to zone out when someone's talking to me, the fact that I get easily distracted and my inability to focus on boring tasks (I only manage to get through tasks like cross-checking lists at work by listening to podcasts at the same time)... They basically describe me.

Only I don't think I'm that impulsive and I don't smoke.

:-/

Racist. Theyre not the same person!

Anyway, why this fire emblem so popular compared to old ones? Is it the animu?!
It's the story presentation and the fact that you can turn off perma-death. Bullshit last-minute deaths are why I never finished Sacred Stones.

Dead Man

The discussion about adult ADHD you guys are having is making me think I might have it. I went online and looked up the symptoms and the inability to sit still, procrastination, tendency to zone out when someone's talking to me, the fact that I get easily distracted and my inability to focus on boring tasks (I only manage to get through tasks like cross-checking lists at work by listening to podcasts at the same time)... They basically describe me.

It's the story presentation and the fact that you can turn off perma-death. Bullshit last-minute deaths are why I never finished Sacred Stones.

One of the factors for adult ADHD/ADD is having the child type symptoms as a child as well. I meet most of the criteria for ADHD-I but I'm just a lazy forgetful bastard since I only had a few of the child symptoms. It can be a very fine line though.

He ain't no Kony man.

Well, Chili Sin Carne really just means chili without meat, Mr Weathers. Potatoes, mushrooms, beans, capsicums, corn, tofu... whatever really.

Played some more Black Mesa today, until I found out it's missing the last 1/4 of the game. WTF?

He knows, but fuck if potato doesn't taste delicious as fuck in chili!

Also I thought it was only missing Xen? That is like 1/10 of the game and was pretty terribly designed so they would have to actually remake that section rather than just remodel it. They DID say they were going to patch it in though, should be done by now surely. I do have a soft spot for Xen though, some great stuff in between the rushed design.

One of the factors for adult ADHD/ADD is having the child type symptoms as a child as well. I meet most of the criteria for ADHD-I but I'm just a lazy forgetful bastard since I only had a few of the child symptoms. It can be a very fine line though.
When I was in grade 2, my teacher brought my Mum into school for a chat about my behaviour. I had a tendency to daydream in class and not pay attention to what the teacher was saying, and I hated maths because it was boring. She thought I must've been hard at hearing, so Mum took me to the doctor for hearing tests and an ear-wash, both of which I found uncomfortable and embarrassing.

Mum paid extra attention to my maths homework from then on and made me memorise, by rote, all my sums and times tables and practice arithmetic until I could do it in my sleep.

I was awesome at maths after that and never let myself fall behind ever again. I still daydreamed and got distracted easily, but I was able to make a game of solving problems, so it became interesting instead of soul-crushingly boring.

Oh yeah, and the teacher also blamed video games, which I seem to have written about in English class more-or-less constantly.

Danoss

Yeah, it can carry through to adulthood, but it won't begin then.

Nocturnal Enuresis at the age of 5 or above is also a great possible indicator. I suffered that until I was about 7 and a GP gave me some medication which fixed it (how it didn't come up in the treatment I had already received for ADD is beyond me, unless they didn't know the connection). If anyone can be bothered looking that up, I'll tell you a funny story of one such instance of it occurring in my house.

When I was in grade 2, my teacher brought my Mum into school for a chat about my behaviour. I had a tendency to daydream in class and not pay attention to what the teacher was saying, and I hated maths because it was boring. She thought I must've been hard at hearing, so Mum took me to the doctor for hearing tests and an ear-wash, both of which I found uncomfortable and embarrassing.

I have an almost exact copy of that story. I was very good at all my subjects in school, but I daydreamed also. Year 2 teacher thought I had hearing problems too and, at the time, hearing tests were being done at the school. In the middle of class one day I was sent down and tested. Of course there was no problem.

ADD wasn't well known back then. It's becoming better understood in the psychiatric field (especially because of its link with other disorders). General understanding still seems to be quite poor.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.

Shaneus

He's also a weirdo, always doing that OK sign next to his mouth.
I thought he was trying to adjust his glasses but kept missing them.

I didn't really go with a recipe, just 1kg of diced oyster blade beef, 1kg of minced beef, and probably 1kg of the mixed beans (not sure, was just a big bowl full after soaking overnight).

I cooked the beans in some water for 60-90 minutes, browned the beef with some onions in a separate pot (diced first, minced after a bit) then chucked in some ground cayenne, cumin and paprika. Once all good I put the beef into the pot with the beans (leaving the water in there) and added more of the spices with a little garlic until it seemed about right. I also added nine cayenne chilies from the garden (some green, some orange, some red). I added some more of the spices occasionally in around 30 minute intervals after tasting each time.

Overall it's pretty good (probably one of the best chili batches I've made without a recipe or bag of pre-mixed spices). The beef has a little fat still on it and it's missing some 'middle' flavours (maybe some brown sugar could have helped), but I'm happy with it. Good thing too since there's a shitload of it. Spicy enough, could've been spicier. Probably 2-3 alarm.
Holy shit, that's all it takes to make chilli? Christ, that's awesome. How many beers do I owe you now? BTW I didn't mean to make it sound like you did something incredibly basic... I just had no idea it was *that* basic. I bet if/when I try to make it, it doesn't look (or taste) as good as that. I should start with a small batch first. Roughly how much did that set you back?

I also like that it's relatively low carb, or seems to be. Good for eating after work considering I don't usually eat until around 7pm (and I think it's suggested that carbs should be avoided where possible later in the day).

I never smoked and I'm only impulsive regarding specific things. If anything, I tend to overthink things to a point where I'm considered the least impulsive person around... until you realise you've dwelled on something for too long, think "fuck it" and make a rash decision which usually turns out to be the incorrect one.

Man, this thread is starting to feel like that Simpsons episode where Bart has his appendix out, then the rest of the class gets theirs taken out as well for the hell of it. Or Spartacus.

I keed, I keed... if you've ever had the feeling you might have it, even if it's barely fleeting, go see a GP about it. Preferably one who has a reputation for knowing their shit about ADHD. I've also been indirectly responsible for having two other people I know getting checked out for it as well. One I'm not sure has gone but was seriously contemplating it, the other definitely has it, has started taking medication and has had his son checked out as well (who may also have it).

Mum paid extra attention to my maths homework from then on and made me memorise, by rote, all my sums and times tables and practice arithmetic until I could do it in my sleep.

I was awesome at maths after that and never let myself fall behind ever again. I still daydreamed and got distracted easily, but I was able to make a game of solving problems, so it became interesting instead of soul-crushingly boring.

Oh yeah, and the teacher also blamed video games, which I seem to have written about in English class more-or-less constantly.
Let me guess... "Very clever, but has issues applying himself"?

"Lazy"?

The amount of times something would happen with my schoolwork (mostly report cards, but also assignments), my old man would lose his shit and ask why, all I could reply with was "I don't know". Wouldn't give up asking those questions until I basically had to say (or he implied and I agreed) that I was lazy. Seriously. I literally did not know why I behaved the way I was, but how could a kid (right through to the age of 20... primary, high school and TAFE) know anything else?

Homework was the WORST thing for me. Show me a problem in class and I'll gladly be able to solve it when there was a little pressure and incentive, but ask me to do homework? Good fucking luck. Same went with projects at work. One of my old managers had actually said I had the worst work ethic he'd seen because of how much I'd be on the internet instead of having work stuff on screen.

The problem was, I knew I was pretty fucking smart because if it was something I was interested in (usually science, electronics, computers or physics) I was able to contribute in class with the best of them. But when stuff had to be done under my own steam, more often than not I was boned.

When getting diagnosed, my GP (who, like I said earlier but you may have missed, was diagnosed at around the age of 40-45 with ADHD) asked if I was able to bring in report cards. I honestly told him I think I threw them out, because I was ashamed of them, but summed them up with the "failed to apply himself" line (which was the gist of all of them). If I could get through summer holidays with my parents forgetting about my report, it was a great holiday (but obviously loaded with anxiety, because they could literally ask me at any time).

Yeah, it can carry through to adulthood, but it won't begin then.

Nocturnal Enuresis at the age of 5 or above is also a great possible indicator. I suffered that until I was about 7 and a GP gave me some medication which fixed it (how it didn't come up in the treatment I had already received for ADD is beyond me, unless they didn't know the connection). If anyone can be bothered looking that up, I'll tell you a funny story of one such instance of it occurring in my house.
No shit! I remember I had a problem with that and I figure if I can remember *that*, then I must've been at least four or five... possibly even older. I'll have to ask Mum when she thinks I may have stopped, because I think I may still have been getting gold stars on the calendar for a dry bed (no shit, a full week meant I got a toy!) up until primary school at the age of 6.
I had no idea that could be a possible indicator. Curious to know how that fits into it.

I have an almost exact copy of that story. I was very good at all my subjects in school, but I daydreamed also. Year 2 teacher thought I had hearing problems too and, at the time, hearing tests were being done at the school. In the middle of class one day I was sent down and tested. Of course there was no problem.
Seems to be the common thread amongst everyone (at least, those of us on internet forums who are lucky enough to have not gotten into trouble and crime etc., like you sometimes read about).

ADD wasn't well known back then. It's becoming better understood in the psychiatric field (especially because of its link with other disorders). General understanding still seems to be quite poor.
Yeah, very fucking poor. Still a godawful stigma with it and such a narrow stereotype that unless you have it (or are REALLY close to someone who has it, like the wife of my GP who I've seen as well) then it's hard to tell exactly what it's like. By the time you're an adult, most people have come up with various coping mechanisms so you're able to work around it (and mask it). At least, on the surface everything's fine... but of course, barely anyone fully understands just how many of what people would consider "personality traits" or "character traits" are actually directly attributable to ADHD.

I still remember vividly one of the first conversations I had with a friend's girlfriend shortly after I started medication (maybe a week). Adorable girl, so naturally I was almost always nervous around her (regardless of her relationship status). I was in a bar, she was showing me photos of her new dog and I remember it being the first conversation EVER where I could actually absorb what the other person was saying, without having a thousand things I wanted to say running around in my head, banging into each other. And when it came time to contribute, I could actually think and talk (and make eye contact!) without worrying about trying to recite that supposedly perfect sentence I'd thought of just minutes prior (that would've been completely irrelevant by that stage anyway). I was asking questions, listening to her answers, answering her questions, reading her body language... it was fucking amazing.

And from then, I looked at *everyone* in a new light. Everyone I knew (and didn't) was full of all this information I could take in and exchange and grow from without having to sabotage the conversation early because I'd run out of things to say.

Fuck, I love dumping all of this stuff in this forum. I apologise to all, but hopefully at least it sheds light onto what I (and possibly many others) have gone through. Potentially, you see some of it and feel inclined to get it checked out... you could have a whole new life ahead of you :)

PS. For anyone who has ADHD, I recommend getting this book. I haven't passed it onto my parents yet (I keep meaning to) but even getting it for yourself, it provides a good guide on how to explain ADHD to other people, as well as the different forms it can outwardly manifest itself in.

PPS. VKS, Danoss or anyone else here (even if you're a lurker) you can see I have absolutely no problems at all talking about this, so if you have questions, need someone to bounce stuff off of or just want to do a brain dump (not unlike what I've done here in the last 12 hours or so ;) ) just PM me or shoot me an email (GAF username @gmail.com). More than happy to help where I can :) And obviously, I would be completely silent about it outside of PM or email... I can understand why it's not something you'd want out in the open. Trust me, I've been there!

Danoss

Story time Danoss! lol

Okay, so for those of you that didn't look it up, Nocturnal Enuresis is essentially bedwetting. Not something that I'm proud of but it seemingly happens in up to 1/3 of ADD/ADHD sufferers as children. Once age 5 is reached, it should not happen. Ever.

As mentioned earlier, I suffered this until about age 7. My GP at the time gave me some medication which righted this problem. Others aren't so lucky and medication might not work for them and may carry through into adulthood, I can't imagine what it would be like for them. Anyway, there is one other feature of this that may happen to some sufferers and here is one example.

In the middle of the night, I got up and out of bed to pee. I walked out of my bed to the toilet, took it out and started urinating. There was a loud BANG! I awoke with a start. I was fast asleep and dreaming of peeing in the toilet. I had sleepwalked and was actually peeing on the television and smoke was rising from it!

My gran and aunt came racing out of their rooms to hear what the noise was. I was upset and apologising for blowing up their TV, telling them I didn't mean to. After they calmed me down and made sure I was alright, they told me not to worry about it. They promised me not to tell the television repair man what had happened, they'd tell him it was near the sink and they spilled water on it.

I was ashamed about that for years, but now it's just something I can look back and laugh at.

Danoss

Fuck, I love dumping all of this stuff in this forum. I apologise to all, but hopefully at least it sheds light onto what I (and possibly many others) have gone through. Potentially, you see some of it and get it checked out... you could have a whole new life ahead of you :)

I do too man. I love reading them and that we can do so judgement free. No apologies needed.

"Very clever, but has issues applying himself"?

"Lazy"?

Every single report card and what I had to hear every parent/teacher night. Fuck I dreaded those. Got called lazy tonight (among other things) in fact. Not to my face of course, my mother is in the other room being her usual cuntish self. If I could afford it, I'd fuck off to a motel until she leaves.

The bedwetting thing isn't a complete correlation from what I've read, but it's something parents should look for. I think a significant number of ADD/ADHD sufferers have experienced this in childhood. Any bedwetting at or beyond age 5 is supposed to be investigated because it just is not meant to happen at all, as I read in an interesting thing here last night.

that's why everything on TV is piss nowdays

Nice! :)

Gazunta

Fuck report cards.

I 'graduated' high school with, literally, the lowest grades possible and five years worth of report cards about how I could achieve things if i could just apply myself.

And now I DRIVE the school bus!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The lack of Nintendo e3 press conf is going to be something new, I wonder if it's something they will regret and get back to silly press conferences next year.

I think the point of the large press conferences is mainly for the world media and exposure via that. The Nintendo directs seem fine but they only hit the hardcore fans. Which isn't going to help sell them consoles.

The Wii u name is of course idiotic, had they gone with super Wii there would have been less confusion.

It does feel like Nintendo is slowly falling apart while Sony and Microsoft are doing it right. I'm not a huge Nintendo gamer these days, was a hardcore fan as a kid, I sure as hell don't want to see them go under.

Fix your shit Nintendo!

Run this morning was ultra easy, and (I guess*) pretty fast. Tired at the end, sure, but not wrecked like I was the other morning. Made a pretty good time too. I think.

* Endomondo Pro decided it would be fun to ignore the GPS setting and instead tell me it took me nine minutes to run the first 1km leg, so I really have no idea what my pace was like, but I know it was overall pretty good. In fact it was so far behind, even though I *know* I ran around 5.6-5.7km, it didn't even flag me as running my 5km. Third time it's done it, so time to look into other running apps. Got Runtastic when Rep mentioned it recently, so might start trying that.

Holy shit, that's all it takes to make chilli? Christ, that's awesome.
Yeah, a lot of stew or curry type meals are really that easy. The main effort required was cutting up the ingredients, frying off the meat and hanging around to stir the pot occasionally. It probably took 3-4 hours total, but it's not like I wasn't watching TV or playing video games for a lot of that time. When you scale up the payoff is pretty good, because you get a ton of meals for a similar amount of effort. I just portioned them all up and put them in the freezer (got about 18 meals worth) to have over the next couple of months.

The lack of Nintendo e3 press conf is going to be something new, I wonder if it's something they will regret and get back to silly press conferences next year.
I don't see them dumping the press conference as a bad thing at all. I think nowadays they really only exist for industry-watchers and hardcore gamers. Everyone else will still get the same news (via radio, or in a section of the newspaper) the same way they always have. Nintendo Direct is a much better way to get the information out to their fans.

I could achieve things if i could just apply myself.
That sounds like an awful lot of work.

reggie

Banned
I don't see them dumping the press conference as a bad thing at all. I think nowadays they really only exist for industry-watchers and hardcore gamers. Everyone else will still get the same news (via radio, or in a section of the newspaper) the same way they always have. Nintendo Direct is a much better way to get the information out to their fans.

E3 conferences are really the only time the industry gets covered by the mainstream media. Your nightly news isn't going to give a shit about whatever random thing they announce through Nintendo Direct.

It's not like they're not having any presence there, either. There'll still be games on the floor, and they're doing smaller press events. It's just breaking everything down in to smaller, more focused chunks instead of doing one big, all encompassing presentation.

They're not breaking off and staging some Nintendo Direct Uprising.

E3 conferences are really the only time the industry gets covered by the mainstream media. Your nightly news isn't going to give a shit about whatever random thing they announce through Nintendo Direct.
It's not like Nintendo won't be dishing out news to outlets, they're just not bothering with the big song and dance. I for one have thought the conferences are kind of dumb for the past few years so won't miss it at all.

How's chili-gafs bums today? The good stuff should burn twice, once in and once out. Ring of fire and all that.
Didn't end up that spicy, surprisingly (I kept dumping in ground cayenne and I figured having all those chilies in would make it spicy). Just a nice little burn in the mouth at the end of the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom