• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, a lot of stew or curry type meals are really that easy. The main effort required was cutting up the ingredients, frying off the meat and hanging around to stir the pot occasionally. It probably took 3-4 hours total, but it's not like I wasn't watching TV or playing video games for a lot of that time. When you scale up the payoff is pretty good, because you get a ton of meals for a similar amount of effort. I just portioned them all up and put them in the freezer (got about 18 meals worth) to have over the next couple of months.
Yep yep!! We're heading into stew weather, which means I get to cook up a heap of stews. Nothing like spending $25 on ingredients, spending the 45 minutes to prepare it and then getting a week of meals plus another week of meals for the freezer.

I can't wait!! Maybe I won't.

Shaneus

You were all reading that?

Shit, BRB. Pulling an Amir0x.

PS. It's a bit old, but I don't remember seeing it posted. Bit NSFW, but dealwithit.gif:
Nasa Mars Rover Accidentally Draws Penis On Red Planet
o-MARS-570.jpg

Danoss

The amount of times something would happen with my schoolwork (mostly report cards, but also assignments), my old man would lose his shit and ask why, all I could reply with was "I don't know". Wouldn't give up asking those questions until I basically had to say (or he implied and I agreed) that I was lazy. Seriously. I literally did not know why I behaved the way I was, but how could a kid (right through to the age of 20... primary, high school and TAFE) know anything else?

Homework was the WORST thing for me. Show me a problem in class and I'll gladly be able to solve it when there was a little pressure and incentive, but ask me to do homework? Good fucking luck. Same went with projects at work. One of my old managers had actually said I had the worst work ethic he'd seen because of how much I'd be on the internet instead of having work stuff on screen.

The problem was, I knew I was pretty fucking smart because if it was something I was interested in (usually science, electronics, computers or physics) I was able to contribute in class with the best of them. But when stuff had to be done under my own steam, more often than not I was boned.

When getting diagnosed, my GP (who, like I said earlier but you may have missed, was diagnosed at around the age of 40-45 with ADHD) asked if I was able to bring in report cards. I honestly told him I think I threw them out, because I was ashamed of them, but summed them up with the "failed to apply himself" line (which was the gist of all of them). If I could get through summer holidays with my parents forgetting about my report, it was a great holiday (but obviously loaded with anxiety, because they could literally ask me at any time).

Somehow I glossed over this, but it's spot on. A mirror image to my life in so many respects. Actually, the only different thing is that the interaction between me and my mother around report card or parent/teacher time was quite different. It would usually turn into a big argument, ending in me getting some degree of a belting. Outside of that, it's identical.

I still remember vividly one of the first conversations I had with a friend's girlfriend shortly after I started medication (maybe a week). Adorable girl, so naturally I was almost always nervous around her (regardless of her relationship status). I was in a bar, she was showing me photos of her new dog and I remember it being the first conversation EVER where I could actually absorb what the other person was saying, without having a thousand things I wanted to say running around in my head, banging into each other. And when it came time to contribute, I could actually think and talk (and make eye contact!) without worrying about trying to recite that supposedly perfect sentence I'd thought of just minutes prior (that would've been completely irrelevant by that stage anyway). I was asking questions, listening to her answers, answering her questions, reading her body language... it was fucking amazing.

And from then, I looked at *everyone* in a new light. Everyone I knew (and didn't) was full of all this information I could take in and exchange and grow from without having to sabotage the conversation early because I'd run out of things to say.

I much prefer to keep social interactions short if possible. Having your mind racing and things buzzing around as new things are said, revising what you might want to say over and over. By the time you're able to get something out, the topic has changed or moved on far enough that whatever was there is now irrelevant.

When you said "the perfect sentence" I know exactly what you mean, and a lot of times even if the chance arises to get it out, it comes out all wrong and I'll feel like absolute shit for making a fool of myself. Of course most people probably don't care at all, but it's hard to convince myself of that. Before long, so much shit has flown around inside my head that I'm just lost and have no idea what to say. I'll just stay silent and beat myself up over it and just want to get the fuck out of there as my anxiety skyrockets.

Your experience sounds amazing. I badly want to experience a "normal" conversation like you've described.

I called the psychiatrists office this morning, he's just moved into a new building and the receptionist isn't sure if he's started consulting just yet. Waiting on a phone call back.

Edit: Phone call received, going in on Wednesday. Fuck yeah.

Danoss

This Sunday, 28th April is Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day.

Thought some of the photography types here might be interested in participating or just happy for an excuse to take some lo-fi photographs. You might have a pinhole lens for your camera already, or you could just DIY something for the day.

It's meant to be a sunny day in Sydney on Sunday, so I'll see if I can get myself somewhere. Might mean I can use one of my fancy new photography backpacks.

Since the aperture of a pinhole lens has an extremely small aperture (mine is f/142-145), exposure time is something that is a bit of a pain to work out. You can go about it one of two ways, the first being trial and error and the second is maths. I have a handheld light meter but it only goes up to f/90. I could get there by manually doubling a number over and over and over again or using exponentiation, but since I can't be bothered, luckily there's an app for that. Pinhole Camera Calculator for Android looks pretty sweet, I don't know about iOS but I'm sure there's something.

Shaneus

I called the psychiatrists office this morning, he's just moved into a new building and the receptionist isn't sure if he's started consulting just yet. Waiting on a phone call back.

First step, my friend. Stoked :D

Stackboy

Your experience sounds amazing. I badly want to experience a "normal" conversation like you've described.

Good on you man, let us know how you go.

Dead Man

People I knew in Primary School gettin' all engaged and stuff. Man...
People I knew have got married, had kids and divorced. Meanwhile, single, no kids. Feels bad man :(
You were all reading that?

Shit, BRB. Pulling an Amir0x.

PS. It's a bit old, but I don't remember seeing it posted. Bit NSFW, but dealwithit.gif:
Nasa Mars Rover Accidentally Draws Penis On Red Planet
o-MARS-570.jpg
Gold. Pure gold.
This Sunday, 28th April is Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day.

Thought some of the photography types here might be interested in participating or just happy for an excuse to take some lo-fi photographs. You might have a pinhole lens for your camera already, or you could just DIY something for the day.

It's meant to be a sunny day in Sydney on Sunday, so I'll see if I can get myself somewhere. Might mean I can use one of my fancy new photography backpacks.

Since the aperture of a pinhole lens has an extremely small aperture (mine is f/142-145), exposure time is something that is a bit of a pain to work out. You can go about it one of two ways, the first being trial and error and the second is maths. I have a handheld light meter but it only goes up to f/90. I could get there by manually doubling a number over and over and over again or using exponentiation, but since I can't be bothered, luckily there's an app for that. Pinhole Camera Calculator for Android looks pretty sweet, I don't know about iOS but I'm sure there's something.

Best picture I took in year 10 photography was with a pinhole camera made from an old baked beans tin. Good times.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
What do you think about Nintendo pushing people to the eshop Vooks? Bad/Good?

Good for their bottom line for sure, but for consumers? I'm not sure.

Two big issues stand out are the account system and overall pricing for 3DS games in Australia. They're just $10 less than Wii U games.

However, I have bought a few games on the eShop at full RRP (or some the UK shop) because I do want the game on my 3DS all the time. Animal Crossing it'll pay the full $69.99 for it for sure, that's a game that is worth the money.

I'm not going to drop $70 on much else though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Woke up an hour ago. Long hot shower. Dark coffee. Bacon, eggs, chili, and mushroom on toast for breakfast.

Today is a good day.

Does anyone not know Choc's twitter? https://twitter.com/noreasonspec
I was hoping for some delicious jpegs, they always taste salty sweet

:)

Oh also shocked at his shock at Telstra service. They have always been awful. Even with their cable speeds I wouldn't touch them with a fucking 50 foot pole unless it was through another company that has enough pull to get what I want (like the Aldi/Dodo situation).

Good for their bottom line for sure, but for consumers? I'm not sure.

Two big issues stand out are the account system and overall pricing for 3DS games in Australia. They're just $10 less than Wii U games.

However, I have bought a few games on the eShop at full RRP (or some the UK shop) because I do want the game on my 3DS all the time. Animal Crossing it'll pay the full $69.99 for it for sure, that's a game that is worth the money.

I'm not going to drop $70 on much else though.
Means they don't have to run a ton of stock sitting in a warehouse.

Also means I'll import even more of their games rather than pick them up at $40 from EB/JB.

eShop system means I won't spend more than $10 on a title as well.

Their lean and mean business focus could work out well if they want to be a niche publisher, won't get them back to Wii level market saturation though. Will be interesting to see if CNN et al bother to run Nintendo articles front and centre next to MICROSOFT V SONY: WHO WON E3.

Woke up an hour ago. Long hot shower. Dark coffee. Bacon, eggs, chili, and mushroom on toast for breakfast.

Today is a good day.
Youuuuuuuuuuuuuu fucking basterd. Now I need some bacon.

If Choc works at Sony/MS/EA then he should be happy at Nintendo's ineptitude.
Nah he can write off any Nintendo purchases as an expense any way so he wants to enjoy quality output as much as anyone. Plus this industry requires healthy competition to keep consumers spending rather than moving more into the social/f2p/iOS direction.

Stackboy

Wow, Chocs twitter feed is nothing but insane ramblings about how he's not getting good service from Telstra.

Like every other Australian. He just complains more.

Also what the fuck was this Year of the Luigi shit about? I see tons of Mario mario mario zelda mario other IP going on and a handful of Luigi stuff. Does YotL just mean, "We will actually use him in a fucking game and give him a sequel as we are running out of things to sequel"?

Who uses Telstra Pre-paid over here? Shaneus?

Is there a way to access the voicemail from 101 if you don't have telstra credit on the phone? I have phone credit, but no telstra credit. I was playing with the voicemail settings and I didn't know that 101 uses telstra credit. $30 gone like that :(

Shaneus

Who uses Telstra Pre-paid over here? Shaneus?

Is there a way to access the voicemail from 101 if you don't have telstra credit on the phone? I have phone credit, but no telstra credit. I was playing with the voicemail settings and I didn't know that 101 uses telstra credit. $30 gone like that :(
Oh dude. Dude dude dude. You should look this sort of stuff up! I found this on Whirlpool or something:

Save this number as a voicemail contact and use it when you want to check voicemail:

PHONENUMBER,#PIN#

Phone number, comma, hash, PIN (mine had to be 6 digits) then another hash. Bingo, your voicemail checking comes out of your regular phone credit rather than the Telstra credit :)

This post wins.
Still, WTF Ninty?

Oh dude. Dude dude dude. You should look this sort of stuff up! I found this on Whirlpool or something:

Save this number as a voicemail contact and use it when you want to check voicemail:

PHONENUMBER,#PIN#

Phone number, comma, hash, PIN (mine had to be 6 digits) then another hash. Bingo, your voicemail checking comes out of your regular phone credit rather than the Telstra credit :)

Thanks, I just tried that, but it's meant for recording a voicemail message, not checking already received ones.

After using this feature, I got sms "Call 101 you have a new message".

:/

I'm on cap Encore by the way.

Also what the fuck was this Year of the Luigi shit about? I see tons of Mario mario mario zelda mario other IP going on and a handful of Luigi stuff. Does YotL just mean, "We will actually use him in a fucking game and give him a sequel as we are running out of things to sequel"?

Well there was Luigi's Mansion 2, he seems to be pretty central to the concept of Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros., and there's the upcoming New Super Luigi DLC for New Super Mario Bros. U.

Things like Mario Golf and Mario Party 3DS are pretty tangential, but on the whole there's a decent bit of focus on him. Ear of Ouiji is a marketing gimmick, but it makes a little bit of sense.

I much prefer to keep social interactions short if possible. Having your mind racing and things buzzing around as new things are said, revising what you might want to say over and over. By the time you're able to get something out, the topic has changed or moved on far enough that whatever was there is now irrelevant.

When you said "the perfect sentence" I know exactly what you mean, and a lot of times even if the chance arises to get it out, it comes out all wrong and I'll feel like absolute shit for making a fool of myself. Of course most people probably don't care at all, but it's hard to convince myself of that. Before long, so much shit has flown around inside my head that I'm just lost and have no idea what to say. I'll just stay silent and beat myself up over it and just want to get the fuck out of there as my anxiety skyrockets.
This really hits home with me too. Brain multitasking, practising sentences. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I don't know though. I get distracted so easily and am always thinking about a billion things at once, but I kind of like getting lost in my thoughts. If I could turn it off on certain days it would be awesome, but I wouldn't want my daydreaming to disappear forever.

So much so that he named his twitter account after it, ahaha.

Oh shit. Hahaha. I did not realise that.

Dead Man

Fucking GAF and everything being black and white, and wanting to make definite pronouncements with fuck all evidence.

somecleverAusGAFer said:
Dead Man said:
Fucking people and everything being black and white, and wanting to make definite pronouncements with fuck all evidence.
Fixed that up for you.

Yeah, but at the moment those people are on GAF.

Well there was Luigi's Mansion 2, he seems to be pretty central to the concept of Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros., and there's the upcoming New Super Luigi DLC for New Super Mario Bros. U.

Things like Mario Golf and Mario Party 3DS are pretty tangential, but on the whole there's a decent bit of focus on him. Ear of Ouiji is a marketing gimmick, but it makes a little bit of sense.
Well yeah it is nice he finally got a sequel to his game, and another Mario & Luigi title (which is just a continuation of the popular handheld series that is up to like sequel number 6). Also DLC is always welcome! Kind of like Ms. Splosion Man, might as well expand upon the original ideas with a new look to keep things fresh.

Would be nice to see him star in his own WiiU game though. Although Wario has second spot I guess. :(

Fucking GAF and everything being black and white, and wanting to make definite pronouncements with fuck all evidence.

Wut

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Its ok man, we're just racist pirates.

God forbid some one call the spaniards a bunch of lazy siesta loving moochers.

Shaneus

i2C2tiU.png

This really hits home with me too. Brain multitasking, practising sentences. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I don't know though. I get distracted so easily and am always thinking about a billion things at once, but I kind of like getting lost in my thoughts. If I could turn it off on certain days it would be awesome, but I wouldn't want my daydreaming to disappear forever.
That doesn't happen at all, you're just able to control them better :) I still daydream all the time, don't you worry about that! You've seen some of my posts here, I figured that was pretty obvious ;)

Oh shit. Hahaha. I did not realise that.
Yup! "No reason specified".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom