• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Whoa shit, that sucks. What version were you on and where did you last save?

Vita and I have no idea!

So who knows, Maybe I never saved in the first place. It wasn't too far into the game but it was enough to now make me not bother, Since the dialogue was so bad to begin with.

So maybe I didn't save. Because you know, I figured it being a handheld it probably creates it's own auto save at specific points, clearly that's a no.

The things you learn.

Vita and I have no idea!

So who knows, Maybe I never saved in the first place. It wasn't too far into the game but it was enough to now make me not bother, Since the dialogue was so bad to begin with.

So maybe I didn't save. Because you know, I figured it being a handheld it probably creates it's own auto save at specific points, clearly that's a no.

The things you learn.

I had the same issue with 999. Played like 40 minutes, couldn't save, 3DS ran out of charge, had to restart.

:(

Clipper

Why iView do you only have like one episode of a show? I just want to watch last week's Doctor Who before I watch tonights, is that too much to ask

Last week's should be there. They typically last 14 days...

Edit: And both are there for me. Perhaps you were looking at a time when only last week's was up? This week is ep 10.

What's the best way to watch region locked content. I remember reading on neogaf a few days ago about a website that did it but can't for the life of me find it again (was in someones post, not a thread).

Jintor

just the internet iview.

If you search by series you get Dr Who but I can't figure out the link to access alternate episodes

Danoss

just the internet iview.

If you search by series you get Doctor Who but I can't figure out the link to access alternate episodes

Go to A-Z, find it in there and you should see it.

axoYIM7.png

Also, fixed.

Shaneus

What's the best way to watch region locked content. I remember reading on neogaf a few days ago about a website that did it but can't for the life of me find it again (was in someones post, not a thread).
Unblock-US is a DNS thing, not VPN so you use your own traffic. Maybe that was it?

Danoss

After just briefly speaking about Lake Eyre, I went looking for new posts on my favourite photography forum and some rad person had posted pictures they had taken there about 2 weeks ago. Here are 2 of those images that are just stunning.

The full set can be seen here. I encourage people to have a look, it's breathtaking. This guy is talented and has been to some beautiful locations in this country.

Dead Man

All shots were taken with my Canon 7D. For the pinhole itself, I was going to fashion my own, but I ended up grabbing a pre-made one from here on Ebay.

I do want to mess around with some pinhole stuff more and while that pinhole is neat, the hole can allow dust ans other such things into the camera, which I don't want. The item I bought has changeable pinholes in case you want one of the zone plates or zone sieves (a pinhole with other tiny holes around it, gives it an even softer look). There is also a piece of film with a pinhole in it (they call it a pinzone) which won't allow any dust or whatever through into the camera, ordered that ages ago but still waiting on delivery from HK.

I can totally understand that. I didn't even know that place was there until yesterday afternoon, go figure.

Mt Gambier would have been beautiful, nothing like that in the city, gotta travel around a bit for something as beautiful as that. I didn't even know that I was missing something like that until I was there today. Once I was there I just wished I arrived earlier, it was only a little spot, but I could have spent all day there.

I didn't know it until recently, but lake Eyre, while barren, is amazingly beautiful. The photographer, Murray Fredericks, spent some time out there taking amazing images. I cannot emphasize how beautiful they are. There's a documentary on it (in full on YouTube, watch in HD fuck, didn't realise it's in Russian) that I thoroughly recommend, he's not sure any of the time he spent there will be worth it, and then they show the photos. Damn.
Always good to find a place with a bit of serenity, as the man would say. I wish I had the patience to get back into photography, it just never seems to make it back up to the top of the list.
o7XCnrP.gif

just finished a 30 page written 50 page notes / appendices design document in two days
Fuck that, you are a better man than me. So glad I'm not at uni any more.
Oh yeah, I need to update you guys on the job interview.

In a nutshell - the job sounds horrible and there's no way I'm going to continue.

1. It's a job supporting financial applications. Like payroll and time keeping and stuff. Sounds really, really boring. Plus, the applications are completely in house, so I wouldn't pick up any real marketable technical knowledge/skills.

2. When I asked what kind of career progression I could expect, his answer was essentially "Pretty much none at all. I've been here for six years and I haven't been promoted. There's really not many opportunities at all."

3. This is how he described the working environment to me - he had us both sit there in complete silence for a good 15 seconds. He said that's how it will be most of the time.

4. The salary range advertised in the job ad isn't actually a range to negotiate in based on experience, qualifications, etc. I would have started at the bottom and worked up to the top over 4-5 years.

Anyway, I feel bad because I totally continued to sound enthusiastic and interested even as I was thinking in my head "Oh man there's no way I want to do this job". So he's going to ring back probably tomorrow about the second interview, and I'll just have to tell him then I'm not going to continue.

Oh well, good interview experience that gave me some confidence, because I'm 90% sure if I wanted the job I would be able to get it.
Don't feel bad. Sounds like a shitty job that was being undersold too. Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic until you are sure you don't want the job. Just part of the game.
After just briefly speaking about Lake Eyre, I went looking for new posts on my favourite photography forum and some rad person had posted pictures they had taken there about 2 weeks ago. Here are 2 of those images that are just stunning.

The full set can be seen here. I encourage people to have a look, it's breathtaking. This guy is talented and has been to some beautiful locations in this country.
Damn. I've been some places that I thought were barren, but nothing like that.

Deeku

Oh god exam in like 15 hours, pre exam panic mode is go D:

also pics of rice bags please
I threw the bag away after putting the rice in the rice container:(

Yesssssss we can eat delicious food and take purikura. Plus its pretty cheap to travel around Asia from Osaka. Tickets to Seoul are $40!
Meetup in Osaka, weekend trip to Seoul!!

Hey Shan, Deek, maybe Laf? I reckon you would really like Hataraku Maou-sama. It's about a demon overlord and his minion who ends up in modern day Japan working at a fast food restaurant and the Hero that comes through chasing him. It's pretty good comedy with a plot.
Noted.

Omikron

Channel 7 news report last night mentions that > 2000 people were ejected from AFL games last season.

Aaahahahahahaha. Holy shit, I need to find video.

Omikron

By my count, there was a maximum of 198 games in 2012 (excluding the pre-season stuff and I'm not researching how many games were cancelled). So it's over 10 people per match. Hmm, I'm not sure how to interpret that number, to be honest.

198 + 8 finals games... but avg still around the 10 mark.

Darklord

Banned
Random tech question time! I use an ethernet cable at home for my internet. If I simply bought something like this ubs wifi would that let me have both wifi and the ethernet cables going?

Hahaha.

My grandmother lives in Redfern next to this Samoan family. My dad went round to see her yesterday and noticed that the Samoan family, having reached capacity in their own house, have knocked down the fence and built a hut into her backyard to house more of their family. Both parties are renting, and she doesn't want to say anything because "they are nice people".

Rahk

Don't know if anyone here is keeping an eye on Star Citizen (big space sime by the Wing Commander guy) but they just released details on another pledge ship, and created a new level of pledge that gets you lifetime insurance on it.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/the-aurora-revealed/
I didn't know you could still pledge for it. I didn't end up getting suckered during the Kickstarter but maybe I will now and get that lifetime insurance for my digital ship.

They are going to make sooooooooooooooo much money from all the microtransactions.
Going to? They already are selling microtransactions with this new ship and the game isn't even out yet!

Also, it's nearly at $9mil? Crazy.

Clipper

Random tech question time! I use an ethernet cable at home for my internet. If I simply bought something like this ubs wifi would that let me have both wifi and the ethernet cables going?

It would only work if your modem/router supports WiFi too of course. And your PC would only use one connection or the other at a time for the Internet and stuff, whichever it deemed better (or whichever you forced it to use). It wouldn't double your bandwidth or anything.

Shaneus

Always good to find a place with a bit of serenity, as the man would say. I wish I had the patience to get back into photography, it just never seems to make it back up to the top of the list.
I have a theory, that everybody needs to have their own creative outlet. I like to think I've found one with music (though I still need to learn how to create it with the PC... stupid learning curve), my brother (and Danoss, obv) have it with photography... even people like Jase who are obsessed with the art of crocheting.

My grandmother lives in Redfern next to this Samoan family. My dad went round to see her yesterday and noticed that the Samoan family, having reached capacity in their own house, have knocked down the fence and built a hut into her backyard to house more of their family. Both parties are renting, and she doesn't want to say anything because "they are nice people".
That blows. Is Redfern as bad as it seems on the news?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So the therapist has suggested I need to do something to get my brain working again, the suggestion was the gym.

Dis gunna be good

I have no real passion or motivation for anything in life so exercise is meant to help give you a kick start in that department.

I have 2 weeks to actually check out the gym and maybe join and do a single session. That might sound like a long time but for me it's way too short.

Woo self challenges, shoot me now.

Also song 3 from the new ocean album is fucking amazing, god damn.

Shaneus

So the therapist has suggested I need to do something to get my brain working again, the suggestion was the gym.

Dis gunna be good

I have no real passion or motivation for anything in life so exercise is meant to help give you a kick start in that department.

I have 2 weeks to actually check out the gym and maybe join and do a single session. That might sound like a long time but for me it's way too short.

Maybe even consider getting onto this C25K thing some of us are jumping on? I was reading an article over the weekend about the effects of exercise on dopamine receptors (the thing that's misfiring or not working as well in ADHD folk) and could well apply to you as well (not necessarily for ADHD, but for elevating mood and generally balancing shit out in your head).

The gym can be (and often is) intimidating, as much as people tell you you shouldn't feel that way. Running would be better, cheaper and might give you a taste of what a good amount of exercise does to your state of mind :)

Danoss

I have a theory, that everybody needs to have their own creative outlet. I like to think I've found one with music (though I still need to learn how to create it with the PC... stupid learning curve), my brother (and Danoss, obv) have it with photography... even people like Jase who are obsessed with the art of crocheting.

I agree with this completely. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it has that cathartic feeling, nor does it matter if you're actually good at whatever it is as long as you enjoy doing it. Experience will produce improvement anyway, no matter how small.

When I'm taking photos, the rest of the world just melts away and there is nothing else. Any worry I may have is completely absent. I'm a completely different person. One such aspect is that I'll make a mistake and it doesn't matter, I don't beat myself up over it because I can just try again. Another is that I'm not self-conscious of what I'm doing if people are around. I can't explain it, but it's fantastic.

I want to do street photography, but won't be able to for some time. Taking photos of people doing whatever in a public place is anxiety inducing and is the only exception to the above. I hope to get there one day.

hamchan

Dis gunna be good

Also song 3 from the new ocean album is fucking amazing, god damn.

Less Dota 2, more gym.

I'm at a place to do my RSA. The door to the room is locked and no lights are on.

Am I going to lose my kidney

probably just your liver from non responsible drinking
Yes. What do you hope to achieve though?
global domination

i dont know how that works
if im not motivated to do most things why would doing hard things make me more motivated
also wouldnt doing exercise require it in the first place
im a lazy fatty :( good for you evl

That blows. Is Redfern as bad as it seems on the news?

Nah. People are fairly chill. There's always a few good old boys sitting on a bench during the day. Some dude near mine has a pet pig that he walks, so that's cool. You do get domestic arguments that spread onto the pavement as one party walks away, but that's just occasional shouting. That being said there was some dude that got stabbed in one of the housing commissions and then walked to his own home in a housing commission ~1km away while trailing blood. He ended up bleeding out and the blood trail didn't get washed away for a while.

Only time I've been harassed was by a couple of teens when I was riding my bike home. They tried to throw a phone book at me which missed and then one of them ran up beside me so I just unclipped my foot and kicked him in the chest. Was pretty dumb, but pretty funny.

Idk, it seems decent enough. I've found that everyone is willing to say 'good morning' and 'how's your day been', and whenever I'm out walking the dog they'll stop and give her a pat. Area is becoming more and more popular too, so we'll see how older residents deal with the changes that brings.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Maybe even consider getting onto this C25K thing some of us are jumping on? I was reading an article over the weekend about the effects of exercise on dopamine receptors (the thing that's misfiring or not working as well in ADHD folk) and could well apply to you as well (not necessarily for ADHD, but for elevating mood and generally balancing shit out in your head).

The gym can be (and often is) intimidating, as much as people tell you you shouldn't feel that way. Running would be better, cheaper and might give you a taste of what a good amount of exercise does to your state of mind :)

I tried to do a day of c25k with the dog. I thought I did well only to realise I did half of the time, I was stuffed the dog looked bored and wanted another walk.

The point of the gym is to make it intimidating, there's nothing to really fear when you're running at night but doing stuff in front of people fuuuuuuuuuuu that's a pass by default for me.

So it's a big challenge for me. We couldnt think of any other ideas so the gym it was. Plus as you pointed out exercise in general is good for the brain.

Danoss

Dis gunna be good

During the visit to the GP when getting my referral to the psychiatrist, she suggested exercise, even just walking. Exercise is good for depression and in my case also has the benefit of possible weight loss. The most difficult part is always the motivation. In the past once moving past that wall of actually getting out the door, it's ridiculously easy and I'll wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

I can't speak for your therapist, but you might not have to go to the gym as per the suggestion. I'd wager that as long as you are participating in a new activity where you can take your mind off things, you're doing the right thing. If it involves exercise, great; if not, exercise is still good and will surely do your state of mind a lot of good. That little bit of exercise I had yesterday made me feel great and even if I didn't have my camera with me, I would have thoroughly enjoyed myself. I hope you can find the same for yourself.

Jintor

Hrrmm. I guess I should have ozbargains open on a seperate auto-refreshing window at all times or something. These daily newsletters aren't cutting it, half the things are already expired by the time I wake up.

Shaneus

I tried to do a day of c25k with the dog. I thought I did well only to realise I did half of the time, I was stuffed the dog looked bored and wanted another walk.

The point of the gym is to make it intimidating, there's nothing to really fear when you're running at night but doing stuff in front of people fuuuuuuuuuuu that's a pass by default for me.

So it's a big challenge for me. We couldnt think of any other ideas so the gym it was. Plus as you pointed out exercise in general is good for the brain.
Intimidating is good as long as you never, ever use it as an excuse to not do it. I can think of a number of reasons why I might not be able to make it to a gym (traffic, travel time, how busy it is etc.) but running, there really isn't any at all (even bad weather isn't an excuse unless it's *really* horrible). No gym equipment to clean off, no incorrect way to use this machine or that, just you and the road, baby.

Having said that, I still haven't actually started C25K yet. My foot was buggered when everyone else in AusGAF started, but I have no excuse now. Good night's sleep tonight and I'll be up for it tomorrow morning, all things going well :)

PS. Danoss, have you thought about easing into doing street photography? I don't know a heck of a lot about it specifically, but maybe you could just try photographing things like cool looking graffiti/artwork, then move onto things like taking photos of people's interesting things, like their pets, a bike, groceries or whatever (obviously asking their permission, breaking down that wall before asking them to be a subject themselves).

I dunno, might be a path to travel down :)

Hahaha.

Please tell me your dad did/is going to do something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom