• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

finally broke down and bought these this morning.

cdmNAaNl.jpg

shit is expensive yo><

local milk just tastes...different, or funny. and the weetbix i had before were actually weetabix because i'm an idiot and bought the wrong thing which aslo tasted funny.

Dead Man

shit is expensive yo><

local milk just tastes...different, or funny. and the weetbix i had before were actually weetabix because i'm an idiot and bought the wrong thing which aslo tasted funny.

The milk is different? And they sell Australian milk? Too weird.

Deeku

do i need to worry about this?

The milk is different? And they sell Australian milk? Too weird.
Just tastes weird I guess. I talked to some expats and they say the same and told me to just get Pura.

And yeah, Australia is actually really well represented here, in a good way. A lot of premium red meat is Australian, grapes, broccoli, milk and dairy...that's all I've seen so far. It's odd that those specific things are Australian, but kinda cool at the same time.

How's the rice over there?
Much of the rice is just Thai rice, which is what most asian places in Aus sell. I've been buying Japanese rice because it comes in rad paper bags, and cuz JAPAN!

markot

Banned

Just tastes weird I guess. I talked to some expats and they say the same and told me to just get Pura.

And yeah, Australia is actually really well represented here, in a good way. A lot of premium red meat is Australian, grapes, broccoli, milk and dairy...that's all I've seen so far. It's odd that those specific things are Australian, but kinda cool at the same time.

Much of the rice is just Thai rice, which is what most asian places in Aus sell. I've been buying Japanese rice because it comes in rad paper bags, and cuz JAPAN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBwwcU2c3u4

Dead Man

I knew about the meat and the processed dairy like cheese, but milk seems such a strange thing to export. Glad it's there for you though :) Grapes and broccoli don't exactly spring to mind when I think of Australia either lol.

Fake edit: God FF spellchecker sucks. I typed 'borcolli' and it suggested 'collimator'.

Aaah that's awesome. Glad you're able to get some "home" stuff, and some Japanese stuff. So jealous.

Ah, that reminds me. I'm putting in an application for Kobe University next year. aaaah. I'm so excited I can't stop thinking about it. I'm not getting any work done browsing photographs all day.

Im gonna go to a hair dresser and just tell them to do whatever they want to my hair >.<;

I actually asked for an opinion last time and the hairdresser basically told me that the hair cut I wanted (and usually got) didn't work for my face and hair type, and gave me something great that I wouldn't have considered instead (something pretty short).

Deeku

Aaah that's awesome. Glad you're able to get some "home" stuff, and some Japanese stuff. So jealous.

Ah, that reminds me. I'm putting in an application for Kobe University next year. aaaah. I'm so excited I can't stop thinking about it. I'm not getting any work done browsing photographs all day.
my intake of japanese snacks has jumped significantly though which is good and bad lol

also kobe:OOOO that will be amazing. i swear, japanausgafmeetup is gonna happen. like, you go to kobe U, jint does jet in some fishing village, rahk will teach english somewhere, cods will visit, who else?...whatever, it's so on!

my intake of japanese snacks has jumped significantly though which is good and bad lol

also kobe:OOOO that will be amazing. i swear, japanausgafmeetup is gonna happen. like, you go to kobe U, jint does jet in some fishing village, rahk will teach english somewhere, cods will visit, who else?...whatever, it's so on!

Yesssssss we can eat delicious food and take purikura. Plus its pretty cheap to travel around Asia from Osaka. Tickets to Seoul are $40!

Jint! Have you decided if you're applying?

shit is expensive yo><

i forgot where you were and was confused
also pics of rice bags please

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if anyone in Melbourne is looking for long-term accommodation, I have a spare room at my place. Two-bedroom unit in Chadstone.

Dead Man

They are going to make sooooooooooooooo much money from all the microtransactions.

Yep. They have claimed all the things available via real money will be earnable in game but I can see a lot of people buying all sorts of crap with real money. I put down my 45 since I get the unlimited insurance which isn't available normally, but it's the first kickstarter type deal I have put money towards, and I'm not sure I like it LOL. I do so want the game to be good and available though!

Jintor

Yesssssss we can eat delicious food and take purikura. Plus its pretty cheap to travel around Asia from Osaka. Tickets to Seoul are $40!

Jint! Have you decided if you're applying?

I'm definitely applying to JET. But I finish my degree this year, so no more uni trips for me

Shaneus

Hey guys, have a look at who let their domain name expire!

They are going to make sooooooooooooooo much money from all the microtransactions.
Not from me, they won't. Whatever I put into the KS is what I'm putting in. If it gets to the point where I need microtransactions to enjoy the single-player component, then I'll not be impressed.

Yep. They have claimed all the things available via real money will be earnable in game but I can see a lot of people buying all sorts of crap with real money. I put down my 45 since I get the unlimited insurance which isn't available normally, but it's the first kickstarter type deal I have put money towards, and I'm not sure I like it LOL. I do so want the game to be good and available though!
That's why I'm sticking with the single-player. When people can buy their way to a better ship that's in direct competition with yours... screw that. At least with SP you're never at any disadvantage.

Dead Man

Outstanding!
Not from me, they won't. Whatever I put into the KS is what I'm putting in. If it gets to the point where I need microtransactions to enjoy the single-player component, then I'll not be impressed.

That's why I'm sticking with the single-player. When people can buy their way to a better ship that's in direct competition with yours... screw that. At least with SP you're never at any disadvantage.

I'm not interested in the MP anyway, the reason I'm so interested in this is the possibility of a good SP mode for a space sim game.

Shaneus

Sweet, we should play together!

I mean, if there's a way to do co-op without it being actual "multiplayer", I'm keen on that (depending on how/if it's implemented).

Dead Man

Sweet, we should play together!

I mean, if there's a way to do co-op without it being actual "multiplayer", I'm keen on that (depending on how/if it's implemented).

Deal. Good thing I have some time until it releases so I can actually pull the trigger on a decent PC LOL

legend166

Oh yeah, I need to update you guys on the job interview.

In a nutshell - the job sounds horrible and there's no way I'm going to continue.

1. It's a job supporting financial applications. Like payroll and time keeping and stuff. Sounds really, really boring. Plus, the applications are completely in house, so I wouldn't pick up any real marketable technical knowledge/skills.

2. When I asked what kind of career progression I could expect, his answer was essentially "Pretty much none at all. I've been here for six years and I haven't been promoted. There's really not many opportunities at all."

3. This is how he described the working environment to me - he had us both sit there in complete silence for a good 15 seconds. He said that's how it will be most of the time.

4. The salary range advertised in the job ad isn't actually a range to negotiate in based on experience, qualifications, etc. I would have started at the bottom and worked up to the top over 4-5 years.

Anyway, I feel bad because I totally continued to sound enthusiastic and interested even as I was thinking in my head "Oh man there's no way I want to do this job". So he's going to ring back probably tomorrow about the second interview, and I'll just have to tell him then I'm not going to continue.

Oh well, good interview experience that gave me some confidence, because I'm 90% sure if I wanted the job I would be able to get it.

Gazunta

Don't feel too bad Legend, you did yourself a huge favour.

Nothing worse than taking a job you feel you don't want. Trust me on that one :)

So after watching Safe Haven (none of that plot synopsis is given to the viewer until the last 20 minutes) I assumed there was no screenwriter. Apparently there were 2. I don't believe they actually knew they were meant to adapt the book as it felt like a word for word filming. It was really stupid and even more stupid when the twist ending hit which removed the one good development in the whole fucking story. It removed a believable environmental influence to shape the character arc and instead said, "Nope, she just fucking crazy or ghosts are real herp a derp!". Fuckwits.

There was a pretty cool development in JET not long ago

9658M.gif

Jintor

Hey Shan, Deek, maybe Laf? I reckon you would really like Hataraku Maou-sama. It's about a demon overlord and his minion who ends up in modern day Japan working at a fast food restaurant and the Hero that comes through chasing him. It's pretty good comedy with a plot.

Danoss

So I kept the promise (to myself) to participate in Worldwine Pinhole Photography Day. I wanted to go for sunrise photographs, but there was no way that was happening this morning. I settled for sunset, which doesn't really suit the location I chose, but it would have to do.

Off to Lake Parramatta Reserve I went, making sure to get there before golden hour began (16:44 today). I got there with about 45 mins to spare, which turned out to be just enough time. I had to ride my motorcycle there and that meant jeans and having to tote around my heavy leather jacket; today's warm weather wasn't the most accommodating.

I headed in around where the Parramatta Dam wall was and headed down the track via some rock steps. At the bottom were some stepping stones across a slow-moving creek bed. This looked like a great spot to use the pinhole with its infinite depth of field.

vxkZKXa.jpg

There are a couple of aberrations in the image where some people walking across stood there just a little too long. It didn't interfere too much, they'd have to stay there much longer to be really noticeable in this 5min 37sec exposure. While it may not look like it, there was plenty of tree cover here and it was quite dim, hence the very long exposure time; at f/8 a 1sec exposure time was needed.

z8oDwGM.jpg

Here's a shot from the other side of the stepping stone path with the wide angle lens. I wanted to put the camera in some different places, but my tripod could only get so low to the ground. I didn't bring the GorillaPod with me, which would have been perfect to demonstrate just how tranquil this place really was, I could have spent a long time around this place. I hope to return and capture more of this little area.

I continued on and climbed some more rock steps to the other side of the lake and around the path. I was hoping to catch the sunset by following the path around but there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I took a couple of panoramas, but they didn't work out at all, nor were any other pinhole shots pleasing.

It was starting to get dark and there weren't really any more shots to be had with the little amount of light left, so I started to head back. By the time I was descending back down to the stepping stone creek and climbing the steep incline of the other side, I was starting to get tired; my lack of fitness, extra weight, jeans and equipment were starting to take it's toll. I stopped to rest up the top near the dam wall. I snapped off a couple of shots while I was catching my breath.

95MzsWi.jpg

As you can see, the lack of clouds weren't very helpful at all, there was very little colour in the sky and it just looks uninteresting. I thought I'd try some bracketed images for an attempt at an HDR image and see how workable that was to make it look a little better.

FuNDoCu.jpg

I try and keep the HDR images as tasteful as possible, I don't like that tone-mapped to hell shit that is found everywhere. While still not terribly interesting, there was a little colour to be found in the sky though not to the degree that you see here; far from it, I forced that in there, along with some other processing, and not terribly well I might add.

After an hour and a half of walking and photographing around this place, I was exhausted and it was time to go home. The exercise was draining, but it felt pretty damn good. I'm looking forward to losing weight and gaining fitness so I can do this for longer in more interesting places. While the photos I took weren't very good, I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent taking them.

Hey Shan, Deek, maybe Laf? I reckon you would really like Hataraku Maou-sama. It's about a demon overlord and his minion who ends up in modern day Japan working at a fast food restaurant and the Hero that comes through chasing him. It's pretty good comedy with a plot.

That sounds great! You have had very good anime opinions in the past. I'll check it out :D

Dead Man

So I kept the promise (to myself) to participate in Worldwine Pinhole Photography Day. I wanted to go for sunrise photographs, but there was no way that was happening this morning. I settled for sunset, which doesn't really suit the location I chose, but it would have to do.

Off to Lake Parramatta Reserve I went, making sure to get there before golden hour began (16:44 today). I got there with about 45 mins to spare, which turned out to be just enough time. I had to ride my motorcycle there and that meant jeans and having to tote around my heavy leather jacket; today's warm weather wasn't the most accommodating.

I headed in around where the Parramatta Dam wall was and headed down the track via some rock steps. At the bottom were some stepping stones across a slow-moving creek bed. This looked like a great spot to use the pinhole with its infinite depth of field.

vxkZKXa.jpg

There are a couple of aberrations in the image where some people walking across stood there just a little too long. It didn't interfere too much, they'd have to stay there much longer to be really noticeable in this 5min 37sec exposure. While it may not look like it, there was plenty of tree cover here and it was quite dim, hence the very long exposure time; at f/8 a 1sec exposure time was needed.

z8oDwGM.jpg

Here's a shot from the other side of the stepping stone path with the wide angle lens. I wanted to put the camera in some different places, but my tripod could only get so low to the ground. I didn't bring the GorillaPod with me, which would have been perfect to demonstrate just how tranquil this place really was, I could have spent a long time around this place. I hope to return and capture more of this little area.

I continued on and climbed some more rock steps to the other side of the lake and around the path. I was hoping to catch the sunset by following the path around but there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I took a couple of panoramas, but they didn't work out at all, nor were any other pinhole shots pleasing.

It was starting to get dark and there weren't really any more shots to be had with the little amount of light left, so I started to head back. By the time I was descending back down to the stepping stone creek and climbing the steep incline of the other side, I was starting to get tired; my lack of fitness, extra weight, jeans and equipment were starting to take it's toll. I stopped to rest up the top near the dam wall. I snapped off a couple of shots while I was catching my breath.

95MzsWi.jpg

As you can see, the lack of clouds weren't very helpful at all, there was very little colour in the sky and it just looks uninteresting. I thought I'd try some bracketed images for an attempt at an HDR image and see how workable that was to make it look a little better.

FuNDoCu.jpg

I try and keep the HDR images as tasteful as possible, I don't like that tone-mapped to hell shit that is found everywhere. While still not terribly interesting, there was a little colour to be found in the sky though not to the degree that you see here; far from it, I forced that in there, along with some other processing, and not terribly well I might add.

After an hour and a half of walking and photographing around this place, I was exhausted and it was time to go home. The exercise was draining, but it felt pretty damn good. I'm looking forward to losing weight and gaining fitness so I can do this for longer in more interesting places. While the photos I took weren't very good, I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent taking them.

Awesome pics, regardless of what you say ;p. The pinhole pic is cool as hell, I like the way you can sort of see where the people left a trace on it. I'm with you on the HDR, I like a little bit a lot, but a lot just makes me wince.

I might have missed it, but what did you use for the pinhole picture?

Edit: It does look a beautiful spot. I think that is what I miss most in Adelaide, not the nightlife or anything, but proper green. Born in the NW US, and I grew up around Mt Gambier which is rain central.

Shaneus

Don't feel too bad Legend, you did yourself a huge favour.

Nothing worse than taking a job you feel you don't want. Trust me on that one :)
Yeah, I really felt that while playing Party Animals. And while reading your comics, for that matter. What is it you do for enjoyment, exactly?!?

PS. Fucking great photos, Danoss. I can imagine that forcing yourself to do that would've done your mental state a bit of good, too :)

Danoss

I might have missed it, but what did you use for the pinhole picture?

All shots were taken with my Canon 7D. For the pinhole itself, I was going to fashion my own, but I ended up grabbing a pre-made one from here on Ebay.

I do want to mess around with some pinhole stuff more and while that pinhole is neat, the hole can allow dust ans other such things into the camera, which I don't want. The item I bought has changeable pinholes in case you want one of the zone plates or zone sieves (a pinhole with other tiny holes around it, gives it an even softer look). There is also a piece of film with a pinhole in it (they call it a pinzone) which won't allow any dust or whatever through into the camera, ordered that ages ago but still waiting on delivery from HK.

It does look a beautiful spot. I think that is what I miss most in Adelaide, not the nightlife or anything, but proper green. Born in the NW US, and I grew up around Mt Gambier which is rain central.

I can totally understand that. I didn't even know that place was there until yesterday afternoon, go figure.

Mt Gambier would have been beautiful, nothing like that in the city, gotta travel around a bit for something as beautiful as that. I didn't even know that I was missing something like that until I was there today. Once I was there I just wished I arrived earlier, it was only a little spot, but I could have spent all day there.

I didn't know it until recently, but lake Eyre, while barren, is amazingly beautiful. The photographer, Murray Fredericks, spent some time out there taking amazing images. I cannot emphasize how beautiful they are. There's a documentary on it (in full on YouTube, watch in HD fuck, didn't realise it's in Russian) that I thoroughly recommend, he's not sure any of the time he spent there will be worth it, and then they show the photos. Damn.

Fucking great photos, Danoss. I can imagine that forcing yourself to do that would've done your mental state a bit of good, too :)

Thank you, and everyone else of course, for the kind words. I'm feeling pretty buzzed from that trip out this afternoon. It wasn't much, but it sure has made a big difference.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
THE FUCK? I go to start VLR and it wants me to start from the beginning. Where did my save game go ...

In the trash you go game.

Kritz

Banned
THE FUCK? I go to start VLR and it wants me to start from the beginning. Where did my save game go ...

In the trash you go game.

I didn't think the save bugs were on the vita version?

I have reached the point where I understand why people call project hard. Like, not reached the point where it IS as hard as people who say project is hard... but I can see it from here.

3DS has a terrible save corruption bug

Beat the entire game without hitting it. Just followed the rule of NEVER SAVE IN A PUZZLE OH JESUS.

Jintor

Why iView do you only have like one episode of a show? I just want to watch last week's Doctor Who before I watch tonights, is that too much to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom