• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm looking at getting some PSN games today, for both PS3 and datOled.

Currently the ones in the running are:
Symphony of Jintor's Lack of Gaming Classic History Knowledge
Tactics Ogre PSP
Vagrant Story
Metal Gear Peace Walker
Journey
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath and Munch's Oddysey
Jet Set Radio HD Vita
Machinarium

Any others I should consider? I tried the demo for Sine Mora on both systems. I think the PS3 version is better in terms of slow motion dodging.

Suggestions most welcome.
I'd be slightly hesitant about buying Tactic Ogre and Jet Set Radio. they were both part of the US Vita PS+ so there's a chance that they may be offered sometime soon for AU. If you can, perhaps it might be best to wait a month or two to see if they appear?

Apart from that, the list seems good. Machinarium may still be part of PS+ for PS3 or has that ended?

Deeku

lol

Yagharek said:
Half Minute Hero (psp game)

And maybe some of the classic Final Fantasy games on psp? IV's pretty good.

Also Sound Shapes!

I'd be slightly hesitant about buying Tactic Ogre and Jet Set Radio. they were both part of the US Vita PS+ so there's a chance that they may be offered sometime soon for AU. If you can, perhaps it might be best to wait a month or two to see if they appear?

I think the US deal was FF Tactics, not Tactics Ogre. Different games.

Macinarium is no longer on psn+ here, but /i think its on sale. Its good stuff though?
Do you like Point and Click Adventure games?

Do you have a PC? If so, you can get it faaaaar cheaper on PC, especially with the Christmas Steam sales upon us. It doesn't take an awfully long time to complete, either.

I think the US deal was FF Tactics, not Tactics Ogre. Different games.
Whoops. I just remembered the word Tactics and knew it was a SRPG. Thanks for correcting my erroneous advice. Carry on with your purchase, Yag.

Yagharek

Do you like Point and Click Adventure games?

Do you have a PC? If so, you can get it faaaaar cheaper on PC, especially with the Christmas Steam sales upon us. It doesn't take an awfully long time to complete, either.

FWIW, Ive found you can get Machinarium on Mac for $10 direct from the developer. I'm not a pc/mac type as is well known, but PS3 version is only $12.95 it turns out.

I havent played a point and click game since Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (if you can call it one) and before that, Full Throttle. I've heard Machniarium compared favourably (very much so) to World of Goo in terms of atmosphere. Maybe it was just winning indie kudos in the same era, but the association is there in my mind.

You know what, I may actually have a spare copy of Machinarium in my Steam inventory. I won't be able to check until I get home. If you wish (and have Steam installed on your computer) I can send you my spare (if I do have one) copy.

Shaneus

Fuck me, Lumines is incredible. The console itself is surprisingly well built and doesn't feel the slightest bit cheap or unrefined.

Maybe it'd come with hindsight, but there are a billion things you can see with the PSP-1000 that could be (and were) trimmed. Not with this.

Only problem is the screen protector that came with the starter kit *only* covers the screen. For some reason I thought it would've covered the whole front of the device. Should that be a concern?

Otherwise, loving the fuck out of it. And that's with only one game (until I'm game enough to update it and hook it to the PS3, wanna make sure I have no CFW options currently left before I update).

Yagharek

That's a very kind offer. I might just wait for a couple of days, think it over and see what happens with the Oddworld games, then I'll let you know. :)

I'm not really likely to play PC games (laugh all you like, its just not how I play for some reason).

Yagharek

Fuck me, Lumines is incredible. The console itself is surprisingly well built and doesn't feel the slightest bit cheap or unrefined.

Told you. No square button issues and perfect architect's gates. No loading mechanism noise. It's literally the most 'welcoming' system since Dreamcast's bass wub wub wub as the blue swirl was painted by that little blue dot.

Maybe it'd come with hindsight, but there are a billion things you can see with the PSP-1000 that could be (and were) trimmed. Not with this.

It's a nice and light system too. I also had a PSP-2000 (Slim and Light it was called) and it felt really fragile.

Only problem is the screen protector that came with the starter kit *only* covers the screen. For some reason I thought it would've covered the whole front of the device. Should that be a concern?

I ordered the hori protectors last week (still havent shipped yet so I'm keeping it in the foam slip for now). I'll let you know how they go but my main concern is the screen rather than the rest of it.

Otherwise, loving the fuck out of it. And that's with only one game (until I'm game enough to update it and hook it to the PS3, wanna make sure I have no CFW options currently left before I update).

What did I tell you!

Kritz

Banned
I need gift ideas.

My father is supes into chess, triple J, doctor who and occasionally british comedy. I think I've tapped out each of those areas. What's something generic and relatively inexpensive (~$50) that he might like.

My mother recently got into photography. I have no idea what kind of camera she has. I don't know if I'll be able to find out. Is there like an all encompassing photography guidey thing I could get her? Something that'd be useful to a novice without assuming much of the abilities of the camera? I know it can at least focus on things as I've received like 30 fucking flower photos from her with the backgrounds blurred.

Sister's an enigma although isn't incredibly hard to buy for. She likes cider, bad music, expensive shiny things you wear, and lowest common denominator american comedy television.

Yes, I did just ask for gift ideas for my entire family. Fuck y'all.

I need gift ideas.

My father is supes into chess, triple J, doctor who and occasionally british comedy. I think I've tapped out each of those areas. What's something generic and relatively inexpensive (~$50) that he might like.

Vita has Dr Who and Chess games

My mother recently got into photography. I have no idea what kind of camera she has. I don't know if I'll be able to find out. Is there like an all encompassing photography guidey thing I could get her? Something that'd be useful to a novice without assuming much of the abilities of the camera? I know it can at least focus on things as I've received like 30 fucking flower photos from her with the backgrounds blurred.

Vita has 2 cameras

Sister's an enigma although isn't incredibly hard to buy for. She likes cider, bad music, expensive shiny things you wear, and lowest common denominator american comedy television.

Vita is shiny and expensive, she could probably wear it. Import that Miku game it's probably full of bad music

Kritz

Banned
Will look into the books, thanks.

I guess vitas are on the shopping list right next to the wii u, 3ds and a toaster, so I can have a complete collection of things that don't have games.

Yagharek

Vita has Dr Who and Chess games

Vita has 2 cameras

Vita is shiny and expensive, she could probably wear it. Import that Miku game it's probably full of bad music

Douglas Adams had it wrong. The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is not 42. It's Vita.

Will look into the books, thanks.

I guess vitas are on the shopping list right next to the wii u, 3ds and a toaster, so I can have a complete collection of things that don't have games.

I'll file this next to your list of wrong opinions about the eastern shore, brighton boy.

Kritz

Banned
Douglas Adams had it wrong. The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is not 42. It's Vita.

I'll file this next to your list of wrong opinions about the eastern shore, brighton boy.

why, do they have games over on the eastern shore

or do you just set them on fire and then dance around in a circle with sticks in your hand

Dr. No
Transfer - 5/5
Movie - 5/5

From Russia With Love
Transfer - 4.5/5
Movie - 4/5

Goldfinger
Transfer - 3.5/5 (the laser scene was incredibly jarring, switching between crisp closeups and a blurry, muddled mess of a full shot that looked like the contents of an empty ice cream container)
Movie - 5/5

Going well so far! Probably stop for the day before I get toooo burnt out on the Bondisms.

I havent played a point and click game since Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (if you can call it one) and before that, Full Throttle. I've heard Machniarium compared favourably (very much so) to World of Goo in terms of atmosphere. Maybe it was just winning indie kudos in the same era, but the association is there in my mind.
Yag, can I call you Yag? You should play more P&C adventures! Unfortunate that the Vita has come along. Maybe in a month I'll run though a whole heap of recommendations.

Ben & Dan is a must play though.

I don't see why? You only want to protect the screen which you need nice and clear to see properly.

What did I tell you!
Shaneus has you on ignore!

Yagharek

Yag, can I call you Yag? You should play more P&C adventures! Unfortunate that the Vita has come along. Maybe in a month I'll run though a whole heap of recommendations.

Shaneus has you on ignore!

That scoundrel!

why, do they have games over on the eastern shore

or do you just set them on fire and then dance around in a circle with sticks in your hand

Need I remind you that glenorchy is on the western shore.

Good Guys sale. $1 postage or pickup in store I think.

Kid Icarus on 3DS for $29
Nintendogs & Cats on 3DS for $19
Pilotwings on 3DS for $29
Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS for $29
OoT on 3DS for $29
Skyward Sword on Wii for $29
Dance Central 1 on Kinect for $19

Shaneus

Told you. No square button issues and perfect architect's gates. No loading mechanism noise. It's literally the most 'welcoming' system since Dreamcast's bass wub wub wub as the blue swirl was painted by that little blue dot.
Man, everything about this system reeks of Dreamcast. Decent but small games library, technically and mechanically perfect with some innovative ideas, but doomed to fail within 6 months of it launching because the competition won in retail based on the success of their previous release.

What did I tell you!
You told me one thing, then another. Bastard.

I need gift ideas.
Vita.

Fuck, I was getting all ready to make Vita the new Kooka's, but it seems I was beaten to it. Too much Lumines.

I don't see why? You only want to protect the screen which you need nice and clear to see properly.
GxX7H.png

I was more thinking the rest of the front of the device. But given that the PSP I have is still in alarmingly good nick (it does have a hard cover, though) I don't think I have anything to worry about with the Vita.

I was more thinking the rest of the front of the device. But given that the PSP I have is still in alarmingly good nick (it does have a hard cover, though) I don't think I have anything to worry about with the Vita.

Which is why I said you really won't need to worry due to the build quality. As long as the touchscreen is protected you are all good.

Yagharek

Man, everything about this system reeks of Dreamcast. Decent but small games library, technically and mechanically perfect with some innovative ideas, but doomed to fail within 6 months of it launching because the competition won in retail based on the success of their previous release.

I think the key difference is Vita has a back catalogue c/- PSN that is really fucking good. Dreamcast was reliant purely on 18 months of stellar first party releases and a handful of third party games like Soul Calibur and Code Veronica.

AusGAF moving wholesale over to Sony as Choc leaves, lol

<Insert something about Nintendo blocking youtube here>

Speaking of which, the Vita doesnt play youtube stuff as far as I know. Might be wrong. Not personally concerned, or maybe there's an app?

Lol, you guys trying your hardest to justify your vita purchase?

Three weeks ago I'd have said the same thing. It's a shockingly well built system.

All new AusVitaGAFfers owe it to themselves to import Mortal Kombat for it.

Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS for $29

Awesome. Finally playing RE4 on my Wii lately had put me in the mood to grab this. Good timing.

Actually, looks like they don't like my PayPal. Oh well, someone else will have it around that price soon enough. Don't really need to be chucking stuff on the backlog at this point anyway.

Rahk

So I'm looking at getting some PSN games today, for both PS3 and datOled.

Currently the ones in the running are:
Tactics Ogre PSP
Vagrant Story
Metal Gear Peace Walker
Journey
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath and Munch's Oddysey
Jet Set Radio HD Vita
Machinarium

Any others I should consider? I tried the demo for Sine Mora on both systems. I think the PS3 version is better in terms of slow motion dodging.

Vita games:
Surge! It's kind of barebones, but quite addictive plus it's cheap. Lumines might be enough puzzle games for you though.

Perhaps check out Dokuro, Super Stardust Delta and Mutant Blobs Attack. I haven't played them but they both have good word of mouth, although both could be potential candidates for sales/PS+ in future. Mutant Blobs was already free on US PS+.

I'm also looking to get Final Fantasy Dissidia 012 duodecimdodecahedron, which is apparently quite good and you can use the right analog stick for camera control (which wasn't available in the original PSP release for obvious reasons).

Looks like FuturLab are releasing a new full featured Velocity (non-minis) on PSN in the future.

http://www.fanpoweredflight.net/

Apart from that, the list seems good. Machinarium may still be part of PS+ for PS3 or has that ended?
I don't believe Tactics Ogre was? Perhaps you've mistaken it for Final Fantasy Tactics.

I ordered the hori protectors last week (still havent shipped yet so I'm keeping it in the foam slip for now). I'll let you know how they go but my main concern is the screen rather than the rest of it.
The Hori protectors are great and super easy to put on straight. The Vita is still super sensitive with it as well. I got the starter kit as well, but ended up using a Hori instead of the one that came with it. If you don't want to spend money on it the official one should be fine though. I mean I've been using my iPhone for over 2 years without a protector at all and it doesn't have a single scratch.

The one problem I have with the Vita design is the location of the speakers. The position of your thumbs naturally cover them. Don't know how that design decision passed through. They're not very good quality and I typically use headphones anyway though, so not much of an issue for me.

I think the key difference is Vita has a back catalogue c/- PSN that is really fucking good. Dreamcast was reliant purely on 18 months of stellar first party releases and a handful of third party games like Soul Calibur and Code Veronica.

<Insert something about Nintendo blocking youtube here>

Speaking of which, the Vita doesnt play youtube stuff as far as I know. Might be wrong. Not personally concerned, or maybe there's an app?
Yeah, there's a YouTube app, which recently got an update and it's quite good.

Yagharek

Oh, right. Thought that was one of the games that was missed.

Its good. Its like Loco Roco/2D Katamari in a way I suppose.

As for Velocity, I just bought the mini this week. >.<
Oh well, that runs excellently so I will keep at that for now and might look at the new version if its significantly different.

Yagharek

Borrowing a link from beast in the thread about the latest school shooting. It's about drone strikes in Pakistan, one of which killed 69 children. Obviously this is over years of activity, but it is nevertheless tragic and unacceptable.

Read this and be appalled:

Link

By Rob Crilly, Islamabad5:37PM BST 11 Aug 2011
In an extensive analysis of open-source documents, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism found that 2,292 people had been killed by US missiles, including as many as 775 civilians.
The strikes, which began under President George W Bush but have since accelerated during the presidency of Barack Obama, are hated in Pakistan, where families live in fear of the bright specks that appear to hover in the sky overhead.
In just a single attack on a madrassah in 2006 up to 69 children lost their lives.
Chris Woods, who led the research, said the detailed database of deaths would send shockwaves through Pakistan, where political and military leaders repeatedly denounce the strikes in public, while privately allowing the US to continue.
"This is a military campaign run by a secret service which raised problems of accountability, transparency and you have a situation where neither the Pakistanis nor Americans are clear about any agreements in place and where the reporting is difficult," he said.

edit: shit, article is from 2011 and completely unspoken about in our media since.

Dead Man

Borrowing a link from beast in the thread about the latest school shooting. It's about drone strikes in Pakistan, one of which killed 69 children. Obviously this is over years of activity, but it is nevertheless tragic and unacceptable.

Link

edit: shit, article is from 2011 and completely unspoken about in our media since.

Yep. Absolute failure of the media to maintain any semblance of integrity or objectivity. I don't begrudge the US media their coverage of the shooting, but the lack of coverage of this shit prior to the shooting and in non US media is simply infuriating.

Yagharek

Yep. Absolute failure of the media to maintain any semblance of integrity or objectivity. I don't begrudge the US media their coverage of the shooting, but the lack of coverage of this shit prior to the shooting and in non US media is simply infuriating.

Yeah, completely different issues and should be treated as such. I'm just amazed at how big the tally is (and then add to that the number of other adult innocents who aren't counted as such).

It's pretty much a case of complete dehumanisation and disconnection from mass murder via the technology of drone strikes. They are weapons that are unjustifiable alongside nuclear weapons, landmines, chemical weapons and cluster bombs.

They should be banned, purely on the basis that if you're going to go to war and kill people, you should be killing the intended people and none other.

Drones are a coward's weapon.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

Link

Man, I'd hate to change the topic, but it's things like this that get me irritated by 9/11 conspiracy theorists, anti-flouride/anti-vaxx nutters. We should be focusing our energy towards criticizing our world governments for real things that actually have evidence backing it, like this for example.

Yagharek

Man, I'd hate to change the topic, but it's things like this that get me irritated by 9/11 conspiracy theorists, anti-flouride/anti-vaxx nutters. We should be focusing our energy towards criticizing our world governments for real things that actually have evidence backing it.

That would require critical thinking, and that's something impossible in our current media-politic environment.

Fucking poker in Far Cry 3 made me want to snap a controller.

Actually, looks like they don't like my PayPal. Oh well, someone else will have it around that price soon enough. Don't really need to be chucking stuff on the backlog at this point anyway.
I paid by Paypal, with a different email address no less, and had no issue. Maybe try again now?

Aww, that's my favourite one =[
Well that's disappointing.
I was pretty shocked by how bad it is compared to the rest of the movie. That one scene is the one that really suffers, most of the rest of the movie is in the range of fantastic to very good.

Link
Yeah one of the Universities over there released a study on them not to long ago. Also one of their students started a twitter account to tweet each drone attack in Pakistan, showing how prevalent the double tap was with the drone attacks

:(

jambo

I was pretty shocked by how bad it is compared to the rest of the movie. That one scene is the one that really suffers, most of the rest of the movie is in the range of fantastic to very good.

Problem is that's one of the best scenes in Bond history.

"Do you expect me to talk?"

"...no Mr Bond I expect you to die."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom