• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Aha. Buy it, take it out of the box, set it up, boot it, connect it to innernet, spent 30-60 minutes patching it, put it back in the box in a way that obviously shows it's been open, wrap the fucker up, throw it out, buy an xbox instead.

True story: last time I had an xbox it took longer to update than the ps3 firmware. Same day, same connection.

Fixed lol

Blows my mind they would tell you to give someone a nearly new Christmas present. I guess it is like buying a new car, you accept that the dealer had to drive it around a little bit to get it from the factory to the lot :)

System update should have been installed on all new production units as soon as it passed testing. Especially since people are saying that stock isn't just sitting on shelves, deliveries have been constant from Nintendo.

Blows my mind people in Ausgaf are falling for that line of thinking. Youre better than that!
If youre buying for young kids, Im sure theyd much rather be playing a game than watching a firmware update or two.

Yagharek

Who was it who used to have updates downloadable and burnable onto a cd/dvdrw? I think MS used to let you do it on the original xbox, but I might be confused. I know sony let you do a direct d/l of the update file for psp/ps3 and transfer it via usb.

Shaneus

Wow...

https://twitter.com/GamersGate/status/282458640152141824
"The Bethesda bundle is now unavailable and we will not get new serials until middle of January next year."

I managed to get the pack and registered Dishonored, but nothing else. Guess that means I can't register anything else for a month?

Turns out (as expected) it was a pricing error:
https://twitter.com/GamersGate/status/282458510267146240
"Notice: The Bethesda New Years bundle was available for the wrong price for a short period, therefore we have run out of serials."

I did wonder, since it was up for so long (12 or more hours) and figured since it'd been up for so long that it must be legit. The recent Far Cry one was caught in an hour or two.
Did you get/want Doom or Skyrim?

And I would've thought you'd get all the keys in one hit... not true?

When I got a bike for Christmas, my Dad pulled it out of the box and put it together. When I got a Radio-Controlled Car for Christmas, my Dad put it all together (it was a kit car) so that I could use it straight away. When I put together a PC for my Dad for Christmas, I assembled it, installed Windows and made sure it worked.

While I'm not excusing the shambolic launch that was the WiiU I think that there's nothing wrong with what's being said. I think that it's a sad indictment on the time and effort it takes to update the console that a company feels the need to send out a little pro-tip to the community to avoid tears on Christmas morning as children everywhere watch a progress bar instead of playing games, but, there you go.

If a bike company sent out a tweet saying the same, people would be laughing at the sheer "no duh-iness" of such a statement. The part that baffles me is... just how many parents have signed up to receive Nintendo tweets and therefore got this? Also, how many parents would really feel comfortable setting up a console? Especially when so many hardc0res had issues?

Do you also need to set up your NNID as part of the update process? Hey, look, your mum just chose your profile name!! Meeeeeeeeerrrrryyy Christmas!

Reptile- did you end up getting thpshd?
I did! It is really terrible for people who played the original games. It seriously feels like a fan mod effort.

When I have to hit a wall ride at EXACTLY 45 degrees you know they didn't give a fuck. The controls and physics are arguably worse than the original games too.

Still better than Project 8/Proving Ground/Ride/Shred.

Blows my mind people in Ausgaf are falling for that line of thinking. Youre better than that!

If youre buying for young kids, Im sure theyd much rather be playing a game than watching a firmware update or two.
I agree and understand the reasoning. Just reeks of, "well we COULD have fixed this but hey, do it yourself, if you want the features".

On a side note none of the 5-15 year old kids I know are getting a WiiU for Christmas, I think it is because NSMBWii wasn't as much of a draw for them as it was for their parents. Plus Skylanders. Fucking Skylanders. That thing is insanely popular, taken over from that Moshi Moshi shit.

When I got a bike for Christmas, my Dad pulled it out of the box and put it together. When I got a Radio-Controlled Car for Christmas, my Dad put it all together (it was a kit car) so that I could use it straight away. When I put together a PC for my Dad for Christmas, I assembled it, installed Windows and made sure it worked.

While I'm not excusing the shambolic launch that was the WiiU I think that there's nothing wrong with what's being said. I think that it's a sad indictment on the time and effort it takes to update the console that a company feels the need to send out a little pro-tip to the community to avoid tears on Christmas morning as children everywhere watch a progress bar instead of playing games, but, there you go.

If a bike company sent out a tweet saying the same, people would be laughing at the sheer "no duh-iness" of such a statement. The part that baffles me is... just how many parents have signed up to receive Nintendo tweets and therefore got this? Also, how many parents would really feel comfortable setting up a console? Especially when so many hardc0res had issues?

Do you also need to set up your NNID as part of the update process? Hey, look, your mum just chose your profile name!! Meeeeeeeeerrrrryyy Christmas!

Does the box a bike comes in state "Assembly Required"?

Does a WiiU box say "System Update Required in order to play Wii games and use Miiverse"?

A lot of people buying a WiiU wouldn't expect that they would need to update the firmware straight out of the box. Hopefully they have a Twitter account. And follow Nintendo.

Did you get/want Doom or Skyrim?

And I would've thought you'd get all the keys in one hit... not true?
All the keys are individual, but I only registered Dishonored because their site was so slow and I wanted to install that.

Haven't checked yet but I'm assuming I won't be able to access any of the other keys until mid January. You're welcome to Skyrim.

commissar

A co-worker was getting his kids a ps3 for Christmas & asked for some advice.
We ended up updating the firmware & pre-charging the controllers so come Christmas morning they're good to go.

As long as you open the plastic seal with a knife everything else can be put back pretty much new :]
Very handy that you can do a full format to reset the first time setup.

Struggling. Everyone vote for hotline Miami because I want hotline Miami.
Voted for Hotline Miami because I want Hotline Miami...

... only 50% off. Damn you rubbish Steam sale.
It has already been $5 3 or 4 times! Voted for Primordia since I like adventure games. Also since I really should get around to buying it >_<

A co-worker was getting his kids a ps3 for Christmas & asked for some advice.
We ended up updating the firmware & pre-charging the controllers so come Christmas morning they're good to go.

As long as you open the plastic seal with a knife everything else can be put back pretty much new :]
Very handy that you can do a full format to reset the first time setup.

See, this is annoying. I can understand that since it is a 7ish year old console they will have stock sitting around that hasn't just been produced but I would really hope that the new super slims have the most current firmware possible on the damn thing. I know my 360S was up to date when I got it, can't recall exactly about the PS3S though.

commissar

See, this is annoying. I can understand that since it is a 7ish year old console they will have stock sitting around that hasn't just been produced but I would really hope that the new super slims have the most current firmware possible on the damn thing. I know my 360S was up to date when I got it, can't recall exactly about the PS3S though.
Haha this WAS the new slim. Latest FW is from way back in October too :/

Shaneus

All the keys are individual, but I only registered Dishonored because their site was so slow and I wanted to install that.

Haven't checked yet but I'm assuming I won't be able to access any of the other keys until mid January. You're welcome to Skyrim.
If that's alright! I'm in no hurry for it in the slightest :)

Struggling. Everyone vote for hotline Miami because I want hotline Miami.
Is that the next flash sale thingy? Whatever the discount, just get it. I think I bought it at 50%, only because of the Idle Thumbs discussion on it.

It would have to be up there as a contender for GOTY for me. Srsly. Guise.
vlp3i.gif

If that's alright! I'm in no hurry for it in the slightest :)
Fine with me, was going to offer it to anyone who wanted it anyway! You may have to remind me though, since I'm likely to forget about those ten games I have sitting around if I don't have easy access to them.

Damn you people. You should already have Hotline Miami. Vote for Primordia!
I've been waiting for it to hit $2.50! Gotta get those deals, man!

Does the box a bike comes in state "Assembly Required"?

Does a WiiU box say "System Update Required in order to play Wii games and use Miiverse"?

A lot of people buying a WiiU wouldn't expect that they would need to update the firmware straight out of the box. Hopefully they have a Twitter account. And follow Nintendo.
Firstly, you need to assemble a PS3, XBox 360, Wii and WiiU, too. The most frustrating part of getting a console or DVD player is getting everything out of the box and arranging it within the entertainment cabinet. I think it may take longer than assembling a bike.

Secondly, since this generation, every system and almost every game has required a firmware update and patch, respectively, before I could play them. At what point do we, the customer, finally get the message that this is part and parcel of getting a system or playing a game?

I'm not excusing having to do this (in fact I hates it like hobbitses), but I'm also conscious that I should not be blind to the facts. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean it doesn't exist; if this were true Shaneus would not exist.

My DS, 3DS, PS3, XBox360, Wii and Vita all required updates when I first connected them to an internet. It just happens that the WiiU firmware update is a particularly egregious offender.

GAF GOTY 2009 is only 0.49c on Steam!

Sleepy Dogs on PC (Steamkey) for $8! Use GMG30-DPLIM-DN831 at checkout.

Haha this WAS the new slim. Latest FW is from way back in October too :/
If it was manufactured back in October I can understand that.

I really liked that a few PSP games came with the update on the UMD. Not sure if other consoles have done this?

Secondly, since this generation, every system and almost every game has required a firmware update and patch, respectively, before I could play them.
What consoles? I can play my PS3/360/PSP/DS/3DS without having to do an update if I don't want. Same with my games. When I moved house and didn't have internet I had access to all my games.

Fucking Steam requires it though. That really is bullshit.

What consoles? I can play my PS3/360/PSP/DS/3DS without having to do an update if I don't want. Same with my games. When I moved house and didn't have internet I had access to all my games.

Fucking Steam requires it though. That really is bullshit.
You don't have to perform an update on the WiiU if you don't connect it to the internet.

No consoles or games do.

A good comparison is a blu ray player that you get home and then find out it asks you to download an update from the internet in order to play DVD's or stuff through PC streaming/USB. Actually, I bet one of them does ask that, I recall some blu ray of mine trying to connect to the internet for some bullshit thing.

You don't have to perform an update on the WiiU if you don't connect it to the internet.

No consoles or games do.

Exactly! Which makes it perfect for WiiU games on Christmas day, worry about the update shit on Boxing Day or something. You can play Wii games or do the whole 'game changer' Miiverse shit another time. Nintendoland (and whatever game the relative buys, they better buy another fucking game with it otherwise that is weak as piss) gives it enough of that Wii/WiiSports circa Christmas 2006 fun.

A good comparison is a blu ray player that you get home and then find out it asks you to download an update from the internet in order to play DVD's or stuff through PC streaming/USB. Actually, I bet one of them does ask that, I recall some blu ray of mine trying to connect to the internet for some bullshit thing.
Yep, they sure do. In fact, there may be occasions that, if your blu-ray player is not connected to your network, some features from certain blu-rays will be unavailable to you due to requiring updates. Sad but true.

Exactly! Which makes it perfect for WiiU games on Christmas day, worry about the update shit on Boxing Day or something. You can play Wii games or do the whole 'game changer' Miiverse shit another time. Nintendoland (and whatever game the relative buys, they better buy another fucking game with it otherwise that is weak as piss) gives it enough of that Wii/WiiSports circa Christmas 2006 fun.
Maybe. I'd argue that part of the console's fun is playing around with the Wara Wara Plaza, posting pictures, interacting with friends that also got a WiiU and using all the feature that the console should have shipped with.

If you didn't, that's like getting a bike to which your dad did not attach the wheels.

"It's okay, son. You can still sit on the seat and pedal!"

Yagharek

I really can't agree with reptile here. If you're buying it as a gift, set it up for them so they don't have to spend hours waiting for updates. Additionally, whilst YMMV, I can't remember any system of the online generation being easy or quick to set up. Patches, installs, network registration etc all take time.

I bought a 360 slim about three months after they came out. That took about an hour to set up, update, do the license transfer and then another hour or two to get the old games downloaded onto it because xbox live only lets you queue up a limited number of items per go.

I bought a PS3 slim late last year and spent a few hours backing up the 60G unit onto a hard drive, updating the new one, then transferring the backed up content onto the new one. (That afternoon wasn't ruined until I started Uncharted 3 though).

I bought a 3DS on launch and the first hour and a bit was taken up with Pikmin doing their transfer thing. I think - assuming the transfer tool was available at launch.

Setting up a Vita took the best part of an afternoon. Firmware, configuring the settings, downloading demos and vouchers that came with it.

Wii U apparently has a problem with long, slow updates. Try updating it at christmas where in the 24hour window, more Wii Us than ever before are going to be hammering the servers for firmware and software updates. I'm sure there will be 404s everywhere in Nintendoland this week.

None of it is ideal, but no-one, including microsoft, is innocent.

Shaneus

Rep: What was that DLC for Sleepy Dogs that was supposed to be short but still pretty good? I hope it's on sale.
It works on multiple levels! Because there's no way that three things could be at 50% of the votes because that adds up to 150%.

I forget the other levels.

Also, Kinect Party is fucking RAD. I was up far too late last night just dubstepping it with the best of them. I now need to link my Facebook up with it so I can actually save/export pictures. But man... so fun. Augmented reality = the shit.

None of it is ideal, but no-one, including microsoft, is innocent.
Exactly! I don't recall exactly where I said Nintendo are the only ones at fault. To be honest I can't even recall what I said that people are referencing in the first place, I thought there was some fun devil's advocating going on :(

Also your 360/PS3 experiences would be completely different to getting a WiiU for Christmas, as you haven't owned a WiiU in the past.

Rep: What was that DLC for Sleepy Dogs that was supposed to be short but still pretty good? I hope it's on sale.

It works on multiple levels! Because there's no way that three things could be at 50% of the votes because that adds up to 150%.

I forget the other levels.

Also, Kinect Party is fucking RAD. I was up far too late last night just dubstepping it with the best of them. I now need to link my Facebook up with it so I can actually save/export pictures. But man... so fun. Augmented reality = the shit.
Nightmare in North Point. I think it was under $5 that I paid for it. Pretty sure it was $3.75 on GMG. I think Sleepy Dogs stuff was on sale the other day? The base game is like $8 at GMG right now.

I know I was just playing :)

I really need to boot up Kinect Party. Well, for that matter I should boot up DFHAT which I bought ages ago which, it turns out, is contained in Kinect Party anyway? :/

Or... do it ahead of time.
Exactly! If Nintendo did it ahead of time it would be perfect.

:)

Also what's the deal with presents that don't come with batteries!?
First I gotta find an appropriate present at the price point that I've set for everyone I'm buying gifts for, THEN I realise I gotta add the cost of batteries on top!?
Otherwise Jimmy will be sad that his Furby suffocated in the Ben 10 Christmas themed wrapping paper!?
No Ultimatrix is going to bring that back!?

Yagharek

Exactly! I don't recall exactly where I said Nintendo are the only ones at fault. To be honest I can't even recall what I said that people are referencing in the first place, I thought there was some fun devil's advocating going on :(

Also your 360/PS3 experiences would be completely different to getting a WiiU for Christmas, as you haven't owned a WiiU in the past.

Different but comparable. Both 360 on launch and 360 slim in 2009 were long drawn-out setup processes. A midnight launch for 360 in 2006 was a necessity if you wanted to be able to play by 7am ;)

I think the reality is ALL systems now have ugly or long (or both) setup processes now they are online. The last easy one was Wii, before that though at least the last gen was simple.

Your point about 360 I picked up on purely because its only anecdotal, not because its right or wrong. It used to be the case that 360 software updates were quick and easy. Now they are quite long and drawn out, since the NXE launched. PS3 installs used to be ridiculously long, but nowadays they are one and done in under 10 minutes.

Background auto updates next generation would be great, PS3 has moved that direction really well thankfully. Just need to design the OS with that in mind.

I didn't have my 360 connected to a network for the first 12 months so it was just pick up and play for me thankfully.

Limes are finally below $10 a kilo, about time. Coronas in the freezer as we speak.

I did! It is really terrible for people who played the original games. It seriously feels like a fan mod effort.

When I have to hit a wall ride at EXACTLY 45 degrees you know they didn't give a fuck. The controls and physics are arguably worse than the original games too.

Still better than Project 8/Proving Ground/Ride/Shred..

Yeah it's not the best, but still playable. On the plus side I finally have someone to play against online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom