• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Bizarre shit
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-04/forcett-fire-places-homes-at-risk/4453038
4453264-3x2-700x467.jpg

2 hours well spent. No wrinkles or nothing.

... is there a desktop PC in your bathroom?

Monitor connected with laptop.

I don't have a problem with you in the slightest, but I'd wager there's some folk who are hoping for the worst with that monitor and the bath. Or that you drown from drinking and then having a bath.

But I think you're rad. And you have A&P cider, which makes you extra rad.

Sorry to disappoint those folks. I've actually slept in bathtubs on many occasions.

That looks amazing and horrifying at the same time. Wonder how those people at the beach don't seem to care about the massive smoke cloud in the horizon.

60-70 properties have been destroyed, but thankfully the casualty count is just one and hope it won't go up. No idea how firefighters deal with these kind of situations...

I think I love Assassins Creed 3. It is super Euro jank up in the place, just the way I like it.

It is less polished and cooked than AC2 but all the little things it does better just makes me swoon.

Also if your game has awesome rain in it then I will pretty much put it in my GOTY list (dat Sleepy Dogs).

The Desmond stuff is fucking hilarious if they spent more than 2% of their time on that stuff, just awful. Interaction is fucked, physics and animation is PSOne grade.

Traversal is fantastic once you get used to it, although it is hold RT to win this time. The level design is top notch, ACRev was terrible in that regard but here it is a hell of a lot of fun to sprint over roof tops or climb rocky outcrops with Connor.

There are technical glitches every 5 seconds. Logs on rocks require you to sprint jump onto them otherwise Connor gets stuck in a crouch. Basically ANY interaction can lead to it missing the loop onto the next step of the process (which is why I assume it is so quick and easy to pull Desmond out of the Animus!).

Looks fantastic on PC and controls like a dream with a 360 controller. Alt+Tabs like a hero too! Had it sitting there all day no issue. Runs fine with the latest patches for me, everything on highest setting aside from shadows.

The story missions are super linear and super broken. I can't recall all the times something didn't trigger in a mission and I ended up just flying by the seat of my pants, lots of fun when it works but when they kick you back it is frustrating.

Feels like a completely different team worked on it, using the AC2 code as a basis. FOV in cutscenes is still frustratingly wasteful.

All in all really enjoying it! I expect when I get into the story more I will think a little less of it. Hunting around the MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSIVE frontier though is exactly what I wanted Far Cry 3 to be like.

AND THEY HAVE FUCKING KITTIE CATS YOU CAN PET ON THE STREET IN THIS GAME! DOGS AND CHICKENS TOO!
I should check to see if I can slaughter the children. Yes. I shall do that now.

Is it really that bad? The two hours or so I played of it were funtimes.

I hate applying for jobs.

It really does suck, especially this time of year when people have already hired staff for Christmas. Sending of dozens of applications without response is very disheartening.

Kritz

Banned
all of assassin's creed 3 is worse than all of fable 3.

And I could have bought four AC3s for the price of Fable 3.

edit: AND AFTER FABLE 3 THEY'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE ANY MORE BAD FABLE GAMES

Rezbit

I think I love Assassins Creed 3. It is super Euro jank up in the place, just the way I like it.

It is less polished and cooked than AC2 but all the little things it does better just makes me swoon.

Also if your game has awesome rain in it then I will pretty much put it in my GOTY list (dat Sleepy Dogs).

The Desmond stuff is fucking hilarious if they spent more than 2% of their time on that stuff, just awful. Interaction is fucked, physics and animation is PSOne grade.

Traversal is fantastic once you get used to it, although it is hold RT to win this time. The level design is top notch, ACRev was terrible in that regard but here it is a hell of a lot of fun to sprint over roof tops or climb rocky outcrops with Connor.

There are technical glitches every 5 seconds. Logs on rocks require you to sprint jump onto them otherwise Connor gets stuck in a crouch. Basically ANY interaction can lead to it missing the loop onto the next step of the process (which is why I assume it is so quick and easy to pull Desmond out of the Animus!).

Looks fantastic on PC and controls like a dream with a 360 controller. Alt+Tabs like a hero too! Had it sitting there all day no issue. Runs fine with the latest patches for me, everything on highest setting aside from shadows.

The story missions are super linear and super broken. I can't recall all the times something didn't trigger in a mission and I ended up just flying by the seat of my pants, lots of fun when it works but when they kick you back it is frustrating.

Feels like a completely different team worked on it, using the AC2 code as a basis. FOV in cutscenes is still frustratingly wasteful.

All in all really enjoying it! I expect when I get into the story more I will think a little less of it. Hunting around the MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSIVE frontier though is exactly what I wanted Far Cry 3 to be like.

AND THEY HAVE FUCKING KITTIE CATS YOU CAN PET ON THE STREET IN THIS GAME! DOGS AND CHICKENS TOO!
I should check to see if I can slaughter the children. Yes. I shall do that now.

06jQs.gif

Yagharek

Also saw the hobbit tonight. A mixed bag I must say. Might think about it before commenting.

I would compare it first to the film Mongol, which I love, but not for thematic reasons or anything story related.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I see Choc is gone.

Oh well.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
immama o drunk andhi tirhgit now

:)
high! how r U

aint no body got time for that. oh lord jesus its a fiiiiere

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I SAID OH LORD JESUS ITS A FIRE! JESUSUS JESUS . AINT NO BODY GOT TIME FOR THAT. AINT NOBODY GOT NOBODY GOT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT.

markot

Banned
Tolkein is fantasys Chevy Chase.

He is over rated like a cod game and twice as mundanelt tepidly fawningly terrible.

markot

Banned

No one with a brain could ever call a tolkein book 'a page turner'.

They are boringly mundane. For the folk who think renaissance fairs are fun. Game of thones is a thousand tolkeins, distilled and fermented and triple concentrate. Tolkeins books are boring, they are an unreadable mess of mundanity. I couldnt get 10 pages into lord of the rings before ringing the bell of boredom.

And wow, he wrote a new language for the elves?! I can do that too.

eargd ihjger

werwrh!

sdfgujjjju!?

Wow! Im amazing!

I couldnt get 10 pages into lord of the rings before ringing the bell of boredom.
First half of Fellowship can be pretty tough. My advice is to stick with it, skipping the songs and Elvish bits. Really picks up once they hit Rivendell. But skip the songs the whole way through.

Also need to note that the book's closing in on a hundred years and that Tolkein was into linguistics, so of course the writing style is going to be different. Ever tried reading old copies of Mark Twain or Jonathan Swift? Capitalised Letters All over The Place!

Jintor

No one with a brain could ever call a tolkein book 'a page turner'.

They are boringly mundane. For the folk who think renaissance fairs are fun. Game of thones is a thousand tolkeins, distilled and fermented and triple concentrate. Tolkeins books are boring, they are an unreadable mess of mundanity. I couldnt get 10 pages into lord of the rings before ringing the bell of boredom.

And wow, he wrote a new language for the elves?! I can do that too.

eargd ihjger

werwrh!

sdfgujjjju!?

Wow! Im amazing!

ARGH

markot

Banned
First half of Fellowship can be pretty tough. My advice is to stick with it, skipping the songs and Elvish bits. Really picks up once they hit Rivendell. But skip the songs the whole way through.

Also need to note that the book's closing in on a hundred years and that Tolkein was into linguistics, so of course the writing style is going to be different. Ever tried reading old copies of Mark Twain or Jonathan Swift? Capitalised Letters All over The Place!

Exactly, we shouldnt read old crap.

Its the same reason I couldnt read that dracula book. It was great, but then they start with those stupid chick diary or letter chapters...... omg so boring......

And as shakespeare said, 1345123 years ago, brevity = wit. Tolkien should have listened to that. Too much fluff, not enough... not fluff.

markot

Banned
So I guess you love Tony Abbot and hate Asians? BECAUSE I LOVE THEM! (And hate abbot >_<)

My stupid darksouls doesnt even load............... Stupid crap. nice going Scamco and gfwlrible!

I love the contrast of what appears to be the apocalypse happening in the background and apparently people not giving a shit having a swim.

When the end of the world actually does come, I'm sure that this will be commonplace. "End of the world? Eh, what can I do about it? Swim. I can definitely swim."

Assassin's Creed III Stuff
tldr: Cons: Crashes constantly. Least polished version of the recent games. Crashes constantly. Missions broken and linear. PS1 level animation and physics in certain areas. Crashes constantly.

Pros: Controller support. Looks purty. Has Alt-Tab support. Rain.

Result: BEST EVAH!!

Ugh, my brain...

edit: AND AFTER FABLE 3 THEY'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE ANY MORE BAD FABLE GAMES
Fable: The Journey???

Or are you counting that as a good game?

What a surprise, markot with a terrible opinion!

I am downloading Dark Souls. I better not die.
I've heard it's easy. You'll do fine.

And as shakespeare said, 1345123 years ago, brevity = wit. Tolkien should have listened to that. Too much fluff, not enough... not fluff.
Time to start that Twitter account that posts one book's story per tweet. Or find the dozens that probably already do it.

tldr:
Cons:
Crashes constantly (Nope only twice which I must now put down to my SSD firmware needing an update).
Least polished version of the recent games (No way, ACR was much worse in terms of polish, this certainly has the most glitches but is much MUCH more enjoyable to play than Rev. It needed another 6 months in the oven though to get the glitches out of the system. Rev should have just been tossed in the bin).
Crashes constantly (Nope only twice which I must now put down to my SSD firmware needing an update).
Missions broken and linear (Broken is definitely a con, not sure I would class Linear as a con though, just a hallmark of the series, works well enough).
PS1 level animation and physics in certain areas (Only the tiny cave Desmond and his team are in, which makes up 1% of the gametime for me). Even the outdoor mission seemed a lot better. I expect they had some work experience kids do the work for the cave area :/).

(The gambling games seem shit too. Just give me fucking poker or something, I have no idea with this shit. Also the story is rushed in its explanation sometimes, even though they improved some of the introduction of elements, like with reducing your notoriety. Mixed bag on that front!)

Pros:
Controller support.
Looks purty.
Has Alt-Tab support.
Rain.

(You forgot improved free running/climbing! Also RDR style addictive hunting. High detail wildlife in highly detailed, massive environments that are heaps of fun to jump across.)

Result: MOST FUN HUNTING GAME EVAH!!

Fixed

Kritz

Banned
They didn't make any good ones either

Fable 2 was preeeeetty good. Like, 3/5 good.

yo you could shoot people in the balls in Fable 2. IN THE BALLS. And they were all like, OW MY BALLS and they fell over and died.

Fable: The Journey???

Or are you counting that as a good game?

No I'm just selectively not counting it as a Fable game.

... also you could have orgies in fable 3, and fart on people, and get drunk and throw up, and abuse farm animals, and say HEEEEEYYY and do a pelvic thrust, and if you fart too long you shit your pants and you walk around with shitty pants.

and if you sit around too long listening to the bad guy's speech after he's defeated Stephen Fry fuckin SHOOTS THAT MOTHERFUCKER and is like, PEACE. And then the game ends.

Man Fable 2 is a sweet game.

Fable 2 was a fun romp with some very basic systems in place. Very relaxing to play. Enjoyed the art design a lot too, nice and light and colourful.

Kritz

Banned
For some reason I'm playing Kingdoms of Amalur again while no games are coming out. As much as I want to like it, because it's essentially a dry Fable, the lack of fun combat is really killing it for me.

The combat is incredibly stop-starty at a micro level, where there's these huge half second delays between each combo, where you're open to being attacked or more likely open to being bored and aggravated. Don't get me wrong, I like it when combat has weight to it, like Da Souls, but Amalur certainly isn't weighty so much as it is stilted.

But seeing how the game plays on auto-pilot, it's really good for podcasts, so I'll probably throw a lot more time into it until VLR shows up.

For some reason I'm playing Kingdoms of Amalur again while no games are coming out. As much as I want to like it, because it's essentially a dry Fable, the lack of fun combat is really killing it for me.

The combat is incredibly stop-starty at a micro level, where there's these huge half second delays between each combo, where you're open to being attacked or more likely open to being bored and aggravated. Don't get me wrong, I like it when combat has weight to it, like Da Souls, but Amalur certainly isn't weighty so much as it is stilted.

But seeing how the game plays on auto-pilot, it's really good for podcasts, so I'll probably throw a lot more time into it until VLR shows up.

Torchlight 2 scratched my itch for both a new Diablo 2 game and a new Fable 2 game strangely enough. The combat is nice and light and fun if you want it to be, the environments are well designed and colourful, the story is only really there to ask you to knock off some more cool looking bad things over there, just nice and relaxing.

Shaneus

immama o drunk andhi tirhgit now

:)
high! how r U

aint no body got time for that. oh lord jesus its a fiiiiere
See shan, THIS is why you don't edit your posts after getting drunk (or in this case, stoned... I assume). We make fun of Holy posting in that state for maybe a day or two? We make fun of you editing your post... forever.

I see Choc is gone.

Oh well.
Can you see whether it's perma or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom