• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Rlan

Hey AusGAF, recommend some packaged snacks that I can get my work's social club that are actually good for you?

Shaneus

They are surprisingly effective. Only time it has ever failed me was Choc's copy of Halo CEAE that Cod sent me. :(
Whatever you do, DON'T USE THEM ON DREAMCAST DISCS. I bought a second-hand copy of DoA2 for cheap and it would get stuck on the intro movie. Got it cleaned, didn't boot at all, DC's poor laser just kept tracking :(

Is it a Madcatz fightpad? :/
Yup. They're surprisingly good, fired up the new one (it's a bit smaller, but it still works just the same. Something about boat sizes and ocean motion) and it plays beautifully for Megadrive stuff.

The correct response was "That's because you were drunk!" and then I was going to post "And How!"

Hand in your Simpson's card, bucko!
If I was here, I wouldn't have let it slip. I propose sacrificial burning of rep's card.
tumblr_l9cwgmhx8e1qdoghio1_500.png

Hello, AUSGAF long time no speak. I was recently in Melbourne on a holiday with my wife and we brought a livingsocial deal for this:

Three-Hour, Six-Course Italian Cooking Class - Eat the Meals You Create! ($160 Value) from WE COOK 4 U

Long story short they didn't have availability for the dates we were there and we can't get a refund so I'd rather not see them go to waste. It expires by July 24 so still has a bit of time on it.

Would make me feel better if someone else could get some use out of it, maybe Rep could do something romantic for his wife?

Oh and not looking for money either.

Yup. They're surprisingly good, fired up the new one (it's a bit smaller, but it still works just the same. Something about boat sizes and ocean motion) and it plays beautifully for Megadrive stuff.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll have a think about it! Damn Madcatz not giving drivers to the big boys.

You can have SSX either way!

If I was here, I wouldn't have let it slip. I propose sacrificial burning of rep's card.
tumblr_l9cwgmhx8e1qdoghio1_500.png
:/
I was directly quoting from that episode multiple times, maybe you guys should hand your cards back in!

Yug

FYI - Actual tournament details, exhibitor details, and still some further TBA panels will continue to be updated over the next few weeks.

My Ouya came today. I have zero inclination to open it right now. :/

Yug: The "What's on at the same time as this event" page is broken. It just lists every single event in one long list.

Kritz

Banned
Will def check out the Halfbrick thing, maybe the PA Q&A, Bioware might be fun for a laugh, the giantbomb thing without a doubt, the indie showcase, maaaaybe to the Minecraft film if we're not doing a meetup around that time.

Pretty much anything with a focus on indie game showcases, making games, or "yo shit's fucked".

---

I'm tempted to post in the AusPAX thread and say "hey ausgaf's doing a meetup on day x, want to turn up?"

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
FYI - Actual tournament details, exhibitor details, and still some further TBA panels will continue to be updated over the next few weeks.

It looks like most of it is in the guidebook for handhelds, which i suggest everyone to actually go and download.

Clearly there's going to be some holes that need to be filled, but most of it seems to be there.

Hello, AUSGAF long time no speak. I was recently in Melbourne on a holiday with my wife and we brought a livingsocial deal for this:

Three-Hour, Six-Course Italian Cooking Class - Eat the Meals You Create! ($160 Value) from WE COOK 4 U

Long story short they didn't have availability for the dates we were there and we can't get a refund so I'd rather not see them go to waste. It expires by July 24 so still has a bit of time on it.

Would make me feel better if someone else could get some use out of it, maybe Rep could do something romantic for his wife?

Oh and not looking for money either.
Thanks for the offer dude! Awesome offer but we have already booked a romantic dinner. Trying to fit everything in around PAX and her getting all the way to Melbourne for Saturday night.

How did you enjoy Melbourne by the way?

Oh WOW at the PAX schedule!

... though it could be way better-presented. It's not at all clear from the layout how long things are and what they overlap...
Yesssssssssssssssss there is basically nothing I want to see on Sunday aside from the second PA Q&A and maybe the retro trivia thing so it isn't like I'm flushing money down the toilet by not being around. Might see if I can leg it into the PA panel while the wife does some shopping or something.

Annoying as fuck that PAX is out in the middle of nowhere though :/
Understandable though due to the size of the event.

EDIT: WTF at the opening clash. The keynote being delivered by an industry legend is up against Australia's best gaming studio. Most people will want to go to both!!!

Yug

It looks like most of it is in the guidebook for handhelds, which i suggest everyone to actually go and download.

Clearly there's going to be some holes that need to be filled, but most of it seems to be there.

Yeah, the Guidebook has waaaaaaaay more details in there, but the tournament stuff is more likely to change over the next few weeks.

Yug

WTF at the opening clash. The keynote being delivered by an industry legend is up against Australia's best gaming studio. Most people will want to go to both!!!

There are a lot of people going to PAX. Not all of them will fit in that opening keynote panel. You'll need to make some hard choices :p

I wouldn't mind seeing the Penny Arcade Report on parenting. Unfortunately I'll be head off to the footy by that time so I'll miss it.

Wouldn't mind going to the Penny Arcade and Rooster Teeth Q & As too.

Danoss

Oh WOW at the PAX schedule!

... though it could be way better-presented. It's not at all clear from the layout how long things are and what they overlap...

Wow indeed. Click 'Tabletop' to see why I'm glad I saved my money.

While I would have liked to meet many people from here, the event itself has nothing that interests me.

I do find the guys doing the 'Beyond Dungeons & Dragons' presentation rather entertaining, though unless they've changed or added to it, I have already seen it. If anyone here hasn't and there's no conflict with anything else, check it out for sure.

Yug

Wow indeed. Click 'Tabletop' to see why I'm glad I saved my money.

While I would have liked to meet many people from here, the event itself has nothing that interests me.

I do find the guys doing the 'Beyond Dungeons & Dragons' presentation rather entertaining, though unless they've changed or added to it, I have already seen it. If anyone here hasn't and there's no conflict with anything else, check it out for sure.

The table top tournament listings aren't on the website yet. The mobile app has some, but not all... we've been working hard with other board gaming communities to finalise stuff. To give you an idea, here is the latest listing of table top comps and events within the MASSIVE table top area at PAX.

Oh, and this doesn't include the Magic the Gathering specific stuff either.

Hope this adds some value to the event for you ;)

FRIDAY
Board Games
A Game of Games (See Event HQ)
Tournament: Puerto Rico A Qualifier (2 hours)
Carcassonne-a-thon
Tournament: Dominion A Qualifier (2 hours)
Tournament: Agricola A Qualifier (2 hours)
The Very Big Small World Event
Tournament: Puerto Rico B Qualifier (2 hours)
Turn out the lights! It's Power Grid time!
Tournament: Dominion B Qualifier (2 hours)
Munchkin Munchkin Munchkin!
Tournament: Agricola B Qualifier (2 hours)

Card Games
Magic the Gathering
CardFight!! Vanguard free fight event
Pokemon Trading Game
Legend of the Five Rings
Magic the Gathering

Role Playing Games
Pathfinder Society: Encounters & Adventures
ArcanaCon Presents Tabletop Roleplaying Games

Wargaming
Battle Arena
Learn to Play: Warmachine & Hordes
Learn to Play: Warhammer 40K & Fantasy
Learn to Play: Batman Arkham City
Paint & Take
Learn to Play: Blood Bowl
Learn to Play: Dark Age
Speed Painting

SATURDAY
Board Games
Family Game time!
Tournament: Agricola C Qualifier (2 hours)
Tournament: Puerto Rico C Qualifier (2 hours)
Waterdeep just got deeper – Lords of Waterdeep +, Scoundrels of Skullport Expansion
Tournament: Dominion C Qualifier (2 hours)
Catan Mania!
Tournament: Agricola D Qualifier (2 hours)
Tournament: Puerto Rico D Qualifier (2 hours)
Munchkin
Tournament: Robo Rally (3 hours)
Party Game-a-palooza
Tournament: Dominion D Qualifier (2 hours)
X-Wing: Starship Battles – Showdown at Paxian Sector

Card Games
Magic the Gathering
CardFight!! Vanguard Staff Challenge
Pokemon Trading Game
Legend of the Five Rings
Magic the Gathering

Role Playing Games

Wargaming
Battle Arena
Paint & Take
Learn to Play: Infinity
Speed Painting
Learn to Play: Malifaux

SUNDAY
Board Games
Tickets across the World – Ticket to Ride event
Tournament: Dominion Final (1 hour)
X-Wing: Starship Battles – Showdown at Paxian Sector
Munchkin
An Epidemic of Pandemic!
Tournament: Agricola Final (1 hour)
Bring your braaaainsssssssss: Play Zombie games!
Tournament: Puerto Rico Final (1 hour)

Card Games
Magic the Gathering
Pokemon Trading Game
Legend of the Five Rings
CardFight!! Vanguard PAX Championship

Role Playing Games

Wargaming
Battle Arena
Paint & Take
Speed Painting Competition
Learn to Play: Malifaux

Shaneus

Hey Shaneus! Persona 4 Golden on Vita for $29 from JB Hifi!
Why are you telling me this? :(

I was directly quoting from that episode multiple times, maybe you guys should hand your cards back in!
Next time, Gadget... next time!

Will def check out the Halfbrick thing, maybe the PA Q&A, Bioware might be fun for a laugh, the giantbomb thing without a doubt, the indie showcase, maaaaybe to the Minecraft film if we're not doing a meetup around that time.

Pretty much anything with a focus on indie game showcases, making games, or "yo shit's fucked".

---

I'm tempted to post in the AusPAX thread and say "hey ausgaf's doing a meetup on day x, want to turn up?"
I'm going to the Penny Arcade Q&A. I'm going to ask "How much money could a podcast make if a podcast could make money (but didn't honestly want to make more than $15)?".

Edit: Rep, as good as the Halfbrick thing might be, it only seems to have the one dude from there. So you/we might be better off checking out Mr. Gilbert.

Edit #2: Under "events also at this time" it has everything. Guessing that'll be sorted shortly :)

That's concerning, hope I don't miss out on Ron :/
Hm, this is too... bugger.

Weeeeeeeeeell, there is a reason the queue room will open up at 8am on Friday morning, but the show itself won't open up until 10am. First in line kinda deal.
How big's the room? Few hundred seats? Few thousand? I have a horrible feeling I'm going to miss out :( And the queue room, as good an idea as it might be, doesn't imply that I'll be making it to a lot of the big-name stuff I'd like to see :/ Maybe a "virtual" queue or something online or on the iPhone app? Much better idea, IMO.

Yug

How big's the room? Few hundred seats? Few thousand? I have a horrible feeling I'm going to miss out :( And the queue room, as good an idea as it might be, doesn't imply that I'll be making it to a lot of the big-name stuff I'd like to see :/ Maybe a "virtual" queue or something online or on the iPhone app? Much better idea, IMO.

The queue room is an entire building, holds thousands. It's only really used for the initial rush at the beginning of the day to get into the show.

Over the past six months I have watched heavy dramatic tv shows seemingly exclusively. Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Homeland etc. So the other day I started reliving part of my childhood and watch Dragonball Z Kai. Holy shit I am enjoying it way too much.

Holy shit the art in Funky Barn looks like Gaz's! Did you get contracted to Tantalus for the art? I swear it reminds me of your work!

The queue room is an entire building, holds thousands. It's only really used for the initial rush at the beginning of the day to get into the show.

Oh that's cool then, worry has eased considerably. Should be good for my first StreetPass!

Forgive me if I should be posting this in the buy/sell/trade thread instead, but thanks to Nintendo i do of course need to trade with the same region people :(

Looking for a straight swap with my Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D for Luigi's Mansion 2.
In WA preferably, PM me if interested!

Over the past six months I have watched heavy dramatic tv shows seemingly exclusively. Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Homeland etc. So the other day I started reliving part of my childhood and watch Dragonball Z Kai. Holy shit I am enjoying it way too much.

How is that? Kinda tempted to check it out.

Shaneus

Man, I hope there's some sweet, sweet Ingress portals submitted and active in time for it. I could imagine it'd get pretty damn hectic if that was the case.

Danoss

The table top tournament listings aren't on the website yet. The mobile app has some, but not all... we've been working hard with other board gaming communities to finalise stuff. To give you an idea, here is the latest listing of table top comps and events within the MASSIVE table top area at PAX.

Oh, and this doesn't include the Magic the Gathering specific stuff either.

Hope this adds some value to the event for you ;)

Thanks for listing that. What's on offer there doesn't interest me at all, but it might for others.

Most of those board games have been out for many years and are well known, so I either own or have played just about all of them. The card games are awful, none of the FFG games are there; no Netrunner or Star Wars LCGs.

I love roleplaying games, but Pathfinder is terrible, though it is no surprise that it has a presence given its popularity. No idea what ArcanaCon are bringing, but they've got a yawning gap to fill. When there's people like D. Vincent Baker and wife Meguey, Jason Morningstar, Will Hindmarch, Jared Sorensen, Luke Crane, Fred Hicks, Epidiah Ravachol, Emily Care Boss and more turning up to PAX in the US talking about and running their games, it's easy to be underwhelmed by the offerings we have here. I understand why this is the case, this is not lost on me, but it is still disappointing.

Indie RPGs on Demand seems to be a growing thing over there and it's a shame it's not here. The indie games scene doesn't have big names like Pathfinder and D&D, but people can walk up and say "I want to play Monsterhearts" or "Could someone please run Misspent Youth?" and a GM will accommodate them and others. Maybe some ArcanaCon GMs will do this.

I like roleplaying games outside the very mainstream ones known by even those who have never played. I like boardgames outside the big ones that have been established for years. To me what's on offer is akin to having Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, GTA IV and the like as drawcards in the video games area; yes they're popular and are mainstays, but there are newer things out there as well as alternatives from the mainstream that are worth a look. Maybe I'm an odd duck, maybe I'm asking too much.

That was longer and whinier than I intended, but I quite like tabletop games. Hopefully we can have better next year.

Top Bottom