• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

markot

Banned
This Penny-Arcade stuff is really depressing.

I wish Mike wasn't such a hard-headed butthead about stuff

SAYS THE PAX GOING MONEY GIVER!

"I wish hitler wouldnt go on about the jews so much... but im still getting my tickets to see his nuremburg gig!!!!!! Woooo!!!!!"

lexi

Banned
I don't get Mike. There have been a number of trans panels at PAX, why is he so set on alienating that community?

jambo

I didn't say ignorance was an excuse and neither did he.

Him reacting badly and being an asshole is his excuse. He said he's going to try to change it so we'll see.

No doubt there'll be some questions on the subject at the Q&As

teekun

He posted a big news post about it on the site.

Basically he doesn't really know heaps about the subject and when he's backed in to a corner he falls back on being an asshole.

He emailed the woman he was tweeting and it seems like everything was worked out.

http://penny-arcade.com/2013/06/19/twiiter-sucks-sometimes

He keeps doing this though. This is like the third or fourth time he's responded to criticism with hostility only to come up with a half-apology when it finally goes nuclear?

Shit, even this email exchange seems to show that Sophie actually agrees with his original point, and even apologizes for the behaviour of some of the trans people who got super offended by him. Nothing's going to be learned by this, and he's going to keep on keeping on until he does it again.

I'm glad I'm not going to PAX for him or his comic. I just want to play games and shit.

My need for beer at PAX is going to depend on my reaction to the general crowd. I've never attended a nerd convention of any sort and I'm kind of scared to see just how bad things can get on the anti-social end of the nerd spectrum.

Jintor

I didn't say ignorance was an excuse and neither did he.

Him reacting badly and being an asshole is his excuse. He said he's going to try to change it so we'll see.

He's said he's gonna try and change it a couple of times now and he just doesn't. It never seems to happen

Seems more like transgender people make him uncomfortable so he got defensive about it? :/

My need for beer at PAX is going to depend on my reaction to the general crowd. I've never attended a nerd convention of any sort and I'm kind of scared to see just how bad things can get on the anti-social end of the nerd spectrum.

If it's anything like supanova, pretty bad. I just hope PAX will be free from...*shudders*... glompers.

Shaneus

Agreed, and GUTTED to be missing the Zone thing I had no idea about until reading this post! AAAAGH. Damn it. Super Guile was the best character, and I’ll never forget how awkward it was when Catriona Rowntree was on the show that one time and looked like a rabbit that’s just landed in a pot of stew.
What The Zone thing?!?!?!?!

I kid you not, have the cheat codes I remember from when I was a kid is remembering the voices from the show in my head. Ecco the Dolphin: right b c b c down c up (when Ecco is mid-turn). I also distinctly remember them using a Super Soaker with a camcorder running around their offices first-person to emulate footage from Doom during a cheat code segment because they couldn't show *actual* footage, being a G-rated show.

I also remember when Andrew Humphries and Stuart Clarke were on there, because Hyper <3.

Gameplay wise it's a perfect port. Holy crap SO GOOD. Visually it's like "what if there was a PS2 version that came out in 2006?" but please bear in mind I'm playing on an iPad Mini. But MAN ALIVE is this an amazing conversion. Can't recommend it enough.

It sure beats my old solution for playing it on the couch, which was "Fire up the PC version in the other room, and then use my iPad to remote into my PC and then use an app on my iPhone to control the mouse remotely and then watch my router explode".
Damnit, I don't need to spend more money on iOS games :/ Although I did get XCOM on PC for free, so it's not like I'm throwing money away by not playing it on there. Hope it runs alright on an iPad 3 (Retina iPad - the right speed GPU to actually run it properly).

There&#8217;s still time to add my &#8220;Why every game would be better if it was more like Rainbow Islands&#8221; talk
That I never submitted because it&#8217;s a terrible idea
Never mind... we'll find a park bench for you to stand on while we all sit on the grass and you can talk your little heart out about this "Rainbow Islands" thing (whatever that is).

This Penny-Arcade stuff is really depressing.

I wish Mike wasn't such a hard-headed butthead about stuff
Holy.

Gazunta

Having never attended a PAX I can't say what that crowd is like but the majority of the Supanova crowd are pretty relaxed and socially-capable.
If it's anything like supanova, pretty bad. I just hope PAX will be free from...*shudders*... glompers.
Awww fuck I forgot about those guys. To be fair Supanova have cracked down on that a bit in the past few years and I haven't heard anyone complain about it at the last few shows I attended.

Glombers I saw that shan
I am bad at typing ><

What's a glomper?

There are four basic elements to the glomp: running, jumping, hugging, and that weird subsection of "anime people" who have no concept of strangers' personal space and think everything they do is kawaii. See:

GLOMP_by_geekgirl321.jpg

Has it been confirmed that the RRP in Australia for the next gen console games will be higher than current gen console games? I know the prices currently being listed certainly are, but I'm just wondering if they're placeholders or if RRP is already known.

r1chard

There are four basic elements to the glomp: running, jumping, hugging, and that weird subsection of "anime people" who have no concept of strangers' personal space and think everything they do is kawaii.
Ah, I have encountered these types before. Didn't realise there was a name for them now, except "icky". Ick.

Dollars to donuts the best investment you could make for pax is a gas mask.

Personal hygine will be lacking. TRUST ME.
All the LAN parties I got to have a can of deodorant on the front desk as a subtle reminder :) [it seemed to work for at least one of the events too]

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
No 3DS yet, which is a shame. I wanted to check that out for the weekend.

I might have to check out EB and their shitty sales / second hand stuff to see if there's anything I can just grab for cheap.

Stackboy

Having never attended a PAX I can't say what that crowd is like but the majority of the Supanova crowd are pretty relaxed and socially-capable.

The PAX East crowd was super sociable. I would imagine PAX Aus attracts the same kind of crowd.

I am curious to see the exhibitor list.

teekun

Two giant unannounced areas haha, I wonder who that would be...

Right next to each other as well.

I was thinking the same thing. When I saw the map last night I thought, hmm Nintendo has a massive space in the exhibitors hall, why don't Sony and MS... oh wait.

Shaneus

Awww fuck I forgot about those guys. To be fair Supanova have cracked down on that a bit in the past few years and I haven't heard anyone complain about it at the last few shows I attended.
ANSWER MY QUESTIONS/RESPOND TO MEEEE

I don't think I even asked any questions, but still...

Edit: Holy fuck, I completely forgot about exhibitors etc., I was only ever thinking of PAX in terms of presentations. I hope the Antichamber stand isn't a complete bitch to get into. But there's probably five flights of steps, some of which I have to go up AND down twice to get in. Also, I've been hanging to play Joust for fucking EVER.
BTW If that's the Mindscape I'm thinking of, they'd better damn well have a new game in the Life & Death series for me. It's been far too long since Life & Death 2: The Brain.

Yeah the guidebook app does that.

Stoked about Giant Bomb at Paxaus. Also keen for that Friday night screening of the old 90's show The Zone, I used to get up early every saturday for that shit when it was on. All in all pretty stoked with the schedule and whats on offer, cheers to Yug and the paxaus team for this whole soiree.

Bueno.

Wow. Now I want to see this panel to see how they navigate the minefield they've created. Too late now I guess.

Australia is racist. Im like the only real ethnic minority on this board!

Asians dont count. Australia is in Asia! Thats like calling an Eskimo an ethnic minority in ESKIMOLAND.

What is your heritage markot? Is your minority status why you can't feel love?

Top Bottom