• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Well I was looking forward to not having to put the disc in, so that kind of sucks, I guess I am in the minority when I say I couldn't give two shits about their drm policy before hand.

Pretty sure everything will be digital day one still. I was still planning on getting one, but I don't have to feel guilty about that now

Also no more bullshit talk about the cloud now!

MS PR shill: "Well, the Xbone version of this game will be better as it is pushing an extra 30fps using the CLOUDDDD!"

Slightly less spineless than usual journalist: "But the console doesn't need to be online so how would that work? Game is online only then? I thought Sony have a similar Cloud thing?"

Jintor

As a gamer, this is good news. As a journalist, I'm going to have to cancel a bunch of interviews now.

Hmmmm... maybe I can work this into some kind of retrospective...

I can buy an Xbox without the likelihood of it tanking and having a price cut. I am glad they priced these things before today.
Also a bit pissed at myself for not preordering the PS4 from Amazon

92c holy shit!

hamchan

Interesting if Microsoft really will reverse their DRM/always online etc position today...

http://t.co/GnpDRHMt0A

Oh wow, can't believe they actually backpedalled like this. I've never seen a company do this. This is good news of course but wow, it seems like they have no wtf they're doing. Especially after talking about how great their DRM is from their reveal all the way through E3.

New console launches, crazy times.

Alright Xbox 180 is a hilarious new nickname.

Fredescu

Damnit my video card works fine. No potential upgrade via RMA for me. I really want a 7970 but I've just about spent all of my budget, and I need to put some money aside for this silly console pre order thing I did. Time to sell some more stuff I guess.

Gazunta

XCOM IS ON IOS GO GO GO

$20.99 for Australia, I wasn't expecting that, would have thought that somehow magically translated to $30 or something.

jambo

These two showed up at work this morning

tglKCY7.jpg

N3GAk54.jpg

Awesome news about the XBone as well, yay consumers.

teekun

That's pretty great that the XBONE will be region free and play games without an always online requirement, but man I'm sure as fuck still not giving that company any of my money.

You don't earn back any good will when your big turning point is reversing your restrictive anti-consumer policies because your competitors are getting better press than you .

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm finished! No more essay exams ever!! I SWEAR there was another gaffer who was sitting in the exam hall. Anyway, incredibly relieved I can finally relax a bit. A day without work or exams has been a long time coming. Now I'm off to play DnD ~

I can buy an Xbox without the likelihood of it tanking and having a price cut. I am glad they priced these things before today.
Also a bit pissed at myself for not preordering the PS4 from Amazon

92c holy shit!

Don't be. They don't charge until they ship. So I might be cancelling mine yet.

Gazunta

OH yeah got my PAX pass this morning, and noticed that I'm listed as a panelist on their app. Bwahaha. My panel will be called "Why The Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole is Citizen Kane's Videogame"

While this is good news for consumers, I agree that this calls in question Microsoft's entire console strategy of Always Online with the Power of the Cloud. If you don't have your console connected, will there be a discernible difference with regards to the player experience? If you are to believe the PR, complex calculation were to be handed off to servers in order to deliver a grander and more rich playing world. Whether that be more objects on screen, NPC AI calculations; that much was never fully specified.

If this is all true, does that mean that games will fundamentally change the user experience dependent upon whether or not the console is connected? Either way, I think this is going to result in lots of questions that Microsoft will either avoid like the plague, have to admit to tiered user base experience or admit that it was all unsubstantiated PR*.

*the last option is that Microsoft say "well you don't get the cloud anymore because you were mean to daddy and didn't want it to be always online. You only have yourself to blame. Stop crying or Microsoft will really give you something to cry about. You can have the cloud back when you give daddy your rights like he asked. But only then, not before."

r1chard

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm finished! No more essay exams ever!! I SWEAR there was another gaffer who was sitting in the exam hall. Anyway, incredibly relieved I can finally relax a bit. A day without work or exams has been a long time coming. Now I'm off to play DnD ~

Damn good feeling, isn't it? Congrats :)

Edit: All you lucky people with your PAX passes. Mine's at the damned post office. Was sent to the ex's of course, and she wasn't there to accept the registered mail (I was at home - my new home, ugh). Luckily I can pick my pass up on Saturday morning between 8:30am and 12:30pm :)

While this is good news for consumers, I agree that this calls in question Microsoft's entire console strategy of Always Online with the Power of the Cloud. If you don't have your console connected, will there be a discernible difference with regards to the player experience? If you are to believe the PR, complex calculation were to be handed off to servers in order to deliver a grander and more rich playing world. Whether that be more objects on screen, NPC AI calculations; that much was never fully specified.

If this is all true, does that mean that games will fundamentally change the user experience dependent upon whether or not the console is connected? Either way, I think this is going to result in lots of questions that Microsoft will either avoid like the plague, have to admit to tiered user base experience or admit that it was all unsubstantiated PR*.

*the last option is that Microsoft say "well you don't get the cloud anymore because you were mean to daddy and didn't want it to be always online. You only have yourself to blame. Stop crying or Microsoft will really give you something to cry about. You can have the cloud back when you give daddy your rights like he asked. But only then, not before."

I don't think it'll make that much difference really. I'll bet some games will require a connection regardless, but for most the console needed a check in, not a constant connection. Those services should still exist, it'll just be a matter of some games needing it now

senahorse

Does Amazon charge your card immediately or just before they ship? If it's not till November better watch that AUD.

Is it really worth importing? Especially after shipping and the potential to need a step down converter. The PS4 may end up being a bit cheaper importing (though not enough to justify imo, especially a release console), the xbox even less so.

Danoss

Don't scratch your disc guys, don't scratch your disc.

If the unfortunate happens, JB Hi-Fi have disc cleaning machines which will rectify the problem. It might cost you a few dollars to get it done, or if you know the games person there or are really nice (or really fucking rude and they want you gone ASAP) they might do it for free.

Essentially it does a cut and polish on the disc. When I worked there, every time a disc didn't work due to a scratch and I gave it a run through the machine, it fixed the problem. Those nasty gouged out rings the 360 can put on discs were no match.

Is it really worth importing? Especially after shipping and the potential to need a step down converter. The PS4 may end up being a bit cheaper importing (though not enough to justify imo, especially a release console), the xbox even less so.

Unless the dollar improves a fair bit there seems like there won't be anything gained from importing an Xbox. PS4 maybe but still not by much. Hey if you import both, you only need one step down converter.

senahorse

True but is the minimal saving worth the loss of a local warranty for a release console? I imported both of mine last gen, the US 360 red ringed, I had to fix it myself or pay I think $200 to have it fixed, the PS3 (1.0 JP model) still going strong...touch wood.

Jintor

So there's been a couple of articles floating around that seem to barely resist calling the consumers who rallied for this troglodytes for taking away their glorious always-online future. They seem largely predicated on Microsoft's benevolent generosity and change and experimentation for its own sake. I think it's an interesting viewpoint and had Microsoft led with this bold vision instead of kind of rolling around in the dirt I think they really could have actually had something there.

As it stands I can get a games + ps+ and console shipped to my door cheaper then buying just the console locally. Though with that said if the exchange rate continues to tank I'll buy local.

So there's been a couple of articles floating around that seem to barely resist calling the consumers who rallied for this troglodytes for taking away their glorious always-online future. They seem largely predicated on Microsoft's benevolent generosity and change and experimentation for its own sake. I think it's an interesting viewpoint and had Microsoft led with this bold vision instead of kind of rolling around in the dirt I think they really could have actually had something there.

I think more than anything this shows the way Microsoft completely lost the PR war here. They could have used the points pushed in those articles but instead they just talked about the cloud and services

Fredescu

I think more than anything this shows the way Microsoft completely lost the PR war here.

Eh, no, it's still a product design problem. A 24 hour check in is ridiculous, Valve can negotiate deals with all the publishers without requiring that, MS can too. Why the new stuff couldn't just be optional I don't know, but that would have been a better idea.

Eh, no, it's still a product design problem. A 24 hour check in is ridiculous, Valve can negotiate deals with all the publishers without requiring that, MS can too. Why the new stuff couldn't just be optional I don't know, but that would have been a better idea.
Oh yeah totally. But they barely even tried to sell it to people. If they offset the shitness of it along side the fairly awesome family sharing and other potential benefits it might not have been the complete clusterfuck that is became

Fredescu

Not a bad price. The software list is super depressing though. I guess I'd pay $170 to play Nintendo Land and NSMBU if I hadn't just bought a 3DS.

Fredescu

Standard. I wouldn't expect it until at least tomorrow. It said two business days to interstate metro areas.

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/nintendo-wii-u/wii-u-black-console-premium-pack-dsnz-yg10001 Cheap cheap!

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/help/online-orders/international-customers-nz

"Dick Smith ships to the following international locations; American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Federated States of Micronesia, Norfolk Island, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Western Samoa."

Maybe they'll ship here if you ask nicely.

Top Bottom