• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

legend166

Not a bad price. The software list is super depressing though. I guess I'd pay $170 to play Nintendo Land and NSMBU if I hadn't just bought a 3DS.

Yeah. For me there's 6-7 games I'd get by the end of the year so that's good enough for me.

A nice NZGAF-er might be able to hook me up so we'll see.

Shaneus

2 days ago

Today

CVEW4gd.gif

Fuck yes, blew up in their faces. Gamers win again. Pre-orders were too low for the Xbone and MS panicked.

The main thing here is that everything is going to be the same as PS4.

BIG FUCKING NEWS IS REGION FREE!!!!!!!

Also they canned the Family Plan with this news, no more looking to 'share with up to 10 friends'. Which is more than fine with me.

tl;dr - Reptilescorpio might get DAY ONE CHEEVO AFTER ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Footnote: Are we putting odds on when all the DRM gets turned back on? I'm thinking the 3 year mark or whenever Xbone gets a substantial lead over PS4.
Is this serious? Like, seriously fucking serious?

Fuuuuuuuuucking megaton. I bet no-one saw this coming. Not to this extent, anyway.

MS not redeemed, but thank fuck they're not doing it.

PS. Probably not exactly the same as PS4... I bet PS4 will support my Logitech wheel.

But srsly, that's epic as shit.

PPS. Rep, I don't think you responded about SSX<->360 FightPad. No hurry, just throwing it out there :)

Double Holy Shit! James Gandolfini died.
Fuck :(

XCOM IS ON IOS GO GO GO

$20.99 for Australia, I wasn't expecting that, would have thought that somehow magically translated to $30 or something.
Fuck :(
(is it basically identical to the PC one?)

OH yeah got my PAX pass this morning, and noticed that I'm listed as a panelist on their app. Bwahaha. My panel will be called "Why The Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole is Citizen Kane's Videogame"
"Flower-pot Hats: Why They're Gaming's Next TF2 Hats"

While this is good news for consumers, I agree that this calls in question Microsoft's entire console strategy of Always Online with the Power of the Cloud. If you don't have your console connected, will there be a discernible difference with regards to the player experience? If you are to believe the PR, complex calculation were to be handed off to servers in order to deliver a grander and more rich playing world. Whether that be more objects on screen, NPC AI calculations; that much was never fully specified.

If this is all true, does that mean that games will fundamentally change the user experience dependent upon whether or not the console is connected? Either way, I think this is going to result in lots of questions that Microsoft will either avoid like the plague, have to admit to tiered user base experience or admit that it was all unsubstantiated PR*.

*the last option is that Microsoft say "well you don't get the cloud anymore because you were mean to daddy and didn't want it to be always online. You only have yourself to blame. Stop crying or Microsoft will really give you something to cry about. You can have the cloud back when you give daddy your rights like he asked. But only then, not before."
FWIW, Forza 5 was using the cloud mostly (from what I understand) to utilise their "drivatar" system. Basically, the game analyzes how you drive, converts it to some formula and uploads it to "the cloud". While connected, your console downloads other "cloud" ghost drivers and uses them as AI in your game, even during single player. I also believe these ghosts can earn in-game credits, so if I upload mine, 10 people use it and it does really well, next time I log in I get everything it earned (or something).

Nifty idea, but in no way does it justify being online 24/7.

PS. That guy who replied to Cliff B. burned him something fierce. Top work on his part.

If you are to believe the PR, complex calculation were to be handed off to servers in order to deliver a grander and more rich playing world. Whether that be more objects on screen, NPC AI calculations; that much was never fully specified.
Mostly fud really.

The new Sim City runs fine for people who pirated it.

The cloud is good for MMO stuff, setting up servers and incorporating constant changes to the content delivered to the consumer. Lets you have a concrete set of content that the consumer will ping every time they play, so you can add and change things in that content and know that every connected player will be using it. Kinda like more effective patches I guess.

All you lucky people with your PAX passes. Mine's at the damned post office. Was sent to the ex's of course, and she wasn't there to accept the registered mail (I was at home - my new home, ugh). Luckily I can pick my pass up on Saturday morning between 8:30am and 12:30pm :)
I sure hope they didn't mess up my address change, haven't got my 3 day pass yet :/

I don't think it'll make that much difference really. I'll bet some games will require a connection regardless, but for most the console needed a check in, not a constant connection. Those services should still exist, it'll just be a matter of some games needing it now
The way it should be. Happy with this outcome, uneasy with how the future of Xbone DRM will go.

If the unfortunate happens, JB Hi-Fi have disc cleaning machines which will rectify the problem. It might cost you a few dollars to get it done, or if you know the games person there or are really nice (or really fucking rude and they want you gone ASAP) they might do it for free.

Essentially it does a cut and polish on the disc. When I worked there, every time a disc didn't work due to a scratch and I gave it a run through the machine, it fixed the problem. Those nasty gouged out rings the 360 can put on discs were no match.
They are surprisingly effective. Only time it has ever failed me was Choc's copy of Halo CEAE that Cod sent me. :(

They charge on shipment but you can buy giftcards early and apply instantly to the product to reduce the amount
That is damn good to know, might have to grab a few when the exchange rate peaks.

Do they have deals on the giftcards from time to time?

Dick Smith Australia aren't clearing their Wii U's out at such a tasty price.

Not yet anyway!

Edit: just checked on the NZ site. It's click and collect only.
My cousin said he hadn't seen any at the Auckland store he checks every now and then. I would expect basically zero in the wild, employees probably grabbed them early too.

DSE here had a refurb for $210! ;)

PPS. Rep, I don't think you responded about SSX<->360 FightPad. No hurry, just throwing it out there :)
Is it a Madcatz fightpad? :/

FWIW, Forza 5 was using the cloud mostly (from what I understand) to utilise their "drivatar" system. Basically, the game analyzes how you drive, converts it to some formula and uploads it to "the cloud". While connected, your console downloads other "cloud" ghost drivers and uses them as AI in your game, even during single player. I also believe these ghosts can earn in-game credits, so if I upload mine, 10 people use it and it does really well, next time I log in I get everything it earned (or something).

All of which can just be made local rather than cloud based, aside from the 'don't even press A to win' bullshit.

I want to earn cars, not farm them like a Chinese WOW player ffs.

teekun

Microsoft spewed a lot of shit about how "the cloud" is going to make the XBONE more powerful by offloading computation and processing, but the reality of it at launch is the same as any other game with online functionality. They've got some servers, and they're saving and fetching data from them. Big fucking deal. The only advantage here seems to being that Microsoft's cloud infrastructure has data centers in every major market in the world, meaning nobody will be left without a local server to connect to.

AusGAF, my PSN friends list is barren after 360 dominated my attention throughout this gen. I'm jumping to PS3/4 prime and I need some more Aussies to play online with. Please ignore my shameless desperation and add me.

GoddyofWar90

Omikron

The Socceroos are Rio bound, but it seems that this is the last place you would want to be right now

THE Socceroos are heading to Rio, but it appears that is the last place you would want to be right now.

It has been revealed a national security force will be deployed to five of Brazil’s major cities to ensure the Confederations Cup football tournament is not disrupted by the widespread protests that have swept the country.

A quarter of a million demonstrators are believed to have taken part in demonstrations in dozens of cities, which began against bus fare increases but ballooned to include many popular grievances.

Among the concerns is the lack of investment in public services when set against the billions being spent on next year’s World Cup, political corruption and police brutality in putting down the protests.

Why it is some time before the World Cup, you can bet FIFA would be keeping a very close eye on the situation.

In a statement, the Ministry of Justice said: “The officers will strengthen security at the Confederations Cup games, as planned in the security plan for large events.”

That is the entire article on the situation in Brazil.

Paz

So they are selling Wii u Premiums for $170 in NZ yet the 3DS XL is $278 during Big W's sale.

FML, I guess I'm paying full retail for my friends birthday present.

Just found out about the Xbone DRM news. I don't normally do this, but here goes.

Are you ready?

lol Micro$ux

Now, I have zero proof of any of this, but I strongly suspect that Sony and Microsoft had a kind of gentleman's agreement or understanding to institute the same kind of DRM policies across both their consoles simultaneously. This way, both parties benefit from the extra revenue.

Maybe nothing was ever said out in the open, maybe it was communicated through third party intermediaries, maybe both sides walked away with vague impressions of what the other was doing. At any rate, I believe that in January this year, console DRM was a thing for both companies.

But then the good ship Microsoft started to spring a leak. Word got out and the reaction was bad. Thing is, Microsoft thought they'd do what Nintendo did with the Wii name and tried to get ahead of the story with the reveal, so by the time E3 rolled around, it'd be old news and everyone would be over it. Besides, they had it on good authority that Sony was doing the same thing.

But the announcement only made things worse. Hitler Sony smelled blood in the water and saw a chance to attack Stalin Microsoft while they were distracted and vulnerable, thus riding a wave of good will to the NPDs and winning E3.

BAM! No DRM, $100 less.

Microsoft were caught with their pants down, but they couldn't well backpedal immediately. It does not do to be seen to be reacting to Sony. So they held the line and saw what the fallout would be. The fallout was bad and so they changed tack.

And here we are.

Someday, the details of this whole thing will leak and it'll go down in history as one of the bigger betrayaltons in console gaming history.

Fredescu

Someday, the details of this whole thing will leak and it'll go down in history as one of the bigger betrayaltons in console gaming history.

Betrayalton or stupidly providing your competitor with an easy point of differentiation? I think Hanlon's razor sorts that one out pretty easily.

According to Cboat, MS approached the publishers about their DRM, so it's fairly likely Sony knew about it through them. The rest is conspiracy theory level stuff.

Betrayalton or stupidly providing your competitor with an easy point of differentiation? I think Hanlon's razor sorts that one out pretty easily.

According to Cboat, MS approached the publishers about their DRM, so it's fairly likely Sony knew about it through them. The rest is conspiracy theory level stuff.

I've been hearing this cboat thing for a while. What/who is it?

Like I said. I have zero proof. I'm just putting it out there so that if that is what happened, I can claim to have called it ahead of time.

Omikron

Defintely, I think a lot of people just like to lolcloud after MS's hyperbolic suggestions about power. Using the 'cloud' to run up local MP servers is a great way to utilise it.

Absolutely, but I think people equate that level of service to already paying for MP via Xbox Live or whatever, not something that should be linked and force you to always be online. Two separate issues imo.

Fredescu

Like I said. I have zero proof. I'm just putting it out there so that if that is what happened, I can claim to have called it ahead of time.

Fair enough! It would have been a clever move for Sony to say "Yeah we'll do it too" with no intention to go through with it.

Deep throat from Microsoft with a good (100%?) rumour track record: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=3446

senahorse

Absolutely, but I think people equate that level of service to already paying for MP via Xbox Live or whatever, not something that should be linked and force you to always be online. Two separate issues imo.

Yeah that's fair enough, it certainly shouldn't require you to be online.

hackdog

Banned
Just found out about the Xbone DRM news. I don't normally do this, but here goes.

Are you ready?

lol Micro$ux

To quote Phillip Reginald Gould
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

We already know that it was Microsoft off their own bat.
They thought it made sense (and maybe it does in Redmond where internet is fast and easy and cheap).
Sony were considering it but were swayed by consumer sentiment.
It was the pre-order numbers that made MS change.
They probably just weren't expecting people to vote with their wallets like they did.

Hey Shaneus! Persona 4 Golden on Vita for $29 from JB Hifi!

He LIED about Prince of Persia reboot

HE SHOULD BE DRAWN AND QUARTERED

Insider for the last 6 or 7 years, never been wrong. Broke news of Remember Me and Dead Rising months/years before their reveals. Also had the lowdown on poor yields for MS. Says that Sony are locked up tight and not to expect any info leaks, which makes me think he does not work for Microsoft.

I think Hanlon's razor sorts that one out pretty easily.
At first I was like, Fred's done stuffed up the spellins of Occam's but then I was all like nah that don't seem right cause Fred got them learnings he gets from the books so I put it into a google and learned something new.

I like it. And by that I mean both the new stuff in my heads and the what those words really mean. Thanks!

r1chard

Argh I just wanna be at home designing stupid rockets. Can't stop thinking about rockets. Stupid KSP.

Also, fingers crossed for your PAX tickets reptile!

At first I was like, Fred's done stuffed up the spellins of Occam's but then I was all like nah that don't seem right cause Fred got them learnings he gets from the books so I put it into a google and learned something new.

I like it. And by that I mean both the new stuff in my heads and the what those words really mean. Thanks!

This new learning pushed out some old stuff I knew though.

What will the wife say when I return home and admit I can't recall our sons name? Is "Fred learned me too much new stuff" a solid defense?

Top Bottom