• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Omikron

Shamelessly cross posting, NEW PC GEAR :D :

newbies_zpsf45e45b8.jpg~original

Water cooling coming at a later date.
:(

Kritz

Banned
I've switched back to nvidia after three years of games running like horseshit with the reason being, "cuz amd".

Plus, physx looks nice.

Fredescu

Yeah we have spent the last two gens in team red, thought it was time for a change.

Fair enough. I have alternated for ages now. GTX570>HD4890>7900GT>9600XT>GF4 4200Ti, then it was Nvidias all the way to Voodoo1. Red time for me now. Not sure if I'm going to get a 7950/7970, or just wait for the new cards.

Fredescu

I've switched back to nvidia after three years of games running like horseshit with the reason being, "cuz amd".

Just don't upgrade to 320.18 :p

I don't know if Skyrim had it, but every shitty Bethesda engine game before it had Nvidia issues at launch. I actually think my HD4890 was the most trouble free card I had. Either way, both sides have problems.

senahorse

Ha the 770 and second SSD is for my gf's PC.

Fair enough. I have alternated for ages now. GTX570>HD4890>7900GT>9600XT>GF4 4200Ti, then it was Nvidias all the way to Voodoo1. Red time for me now. Not sure if I'm going to get a 7950/7970, or just wait for the new cards.

Never hurts waiting. I have also alternated all the way back to TNT2 I think, either that or my righteous 3D, I forget which came first.

Fredescu

Never hurts waiting.

Someone has offered to buy my current card in a few weeks. Makes waiting harder since that value will only drop! On the other hand, I haven't played a PC game in yonks. It always feels better to upgrade your video card when your partway through a game.

jambo

Titanfall thread in Gaming about it being MP only is hilarious.

According to a lot of posters this apparently means its not a "real" or "complete" game.

:lol

Family Plan on Xbone was only ever going to be 60 minutes of gametime before it kicks you to the Storefront for the 10 people on your Family Plan list

laughaj2htjbb21skrqs.gif

Would have been fucking nuclear once that was widely publicised.

Titanfall thread in Gaming about it being MP only is hilarious.

According to a lot of posters this apparently means its not a "real" or "complete" game.

:lol

Means I won't buy it. I don't agree with the 'incomplete' or 'cut the price' shit though. If a game is good, it's good FFS.

Although I am more than tempted to dip my toe into MP gaming through f2p stuff like Warframe.

Kritz

Banned

but but but but Gizmodo said "The Xbox One Just Got Way Worse, And It's Our Fault"!

It'd take longer to download the game than you'd get to play it. It's such a shame there isn't already a way to play a small amount of a game before deciding to buy it. Such a shame a thing has never existed on any platform currently released.

but but but but Gizmodo said "The Xbox One Just Got Way Worse, And It's Our Fault"!

It'd take longer to download the game than you'd get to play it.

BU-BU-BUT STREAMING FROM THE CLOUD!

(not like the 'play while you download' service that Sony and Steam have/has I assure you! It uses the CLOUD!)

markot

Banned
Gizmondo is a bunch of cunts. They went to CES or some shit and started using a universal remote to screw with the displays there. And they still are those same cuntleringers.

Bernbaum

Don't want to talk about it. Feels like
Port in 07, team that everyone has written off and finds quite strange to be in the finals. Of course, Port were too young rather than too old like Spurs but the resulting feeling is the same. Quiet pride that they made it this far but internal disappointment in myself for ignoring the factors that led to the loss.

Basketball. Link here with a great quote from Pop at the end which is telling for how I feel about 2014.

Spurs lost this in the last 28 seconds of game six.

An older team facing down LeBron et al in their own backyard at game 7 with all the expectations of the world behind them is an arduous task. Without a doubt, both sides left everything on the floor and once the Spurs had emptied themselves they started making mistakes.

A good series, but all the best moments were in game 1, 6 and 7. So many classic moments - Danny Greens revelatory 3-point shooting, Ray Allen's 3 at the end of regulation, Mike Miller hitting a 3 without a shoe, Bosh's block against, Manu playing like an energetic teenager in game 5, a headbandless LeBron making shots. Games 6 and 7 were their own highlight reels.

If it's any condolence to you, the Heat roster is $80,000,000, whereas today's Spurs would only cost you $60,000,000. More points to the dollar with San Antonio!

Dwyane Wade is done. Done. You know LBJ wants a triple to elevate his legacy to the level of MJ and Kobe but 2014 is gonna be tough for them with what I expect to be a weaker Heat roster.

Speaking of 2013-2014, I have no fucking idea what the Lakers are going to do. It's probably Nash's last season; Kobe might not be back straight away, and when he IS back, there's no way he's 100% and he still runs the risk of re-injuring himself; I love Pau Gasol but he might get traded and I don't trust D'Antoni to develop a system that makes smart use of two bigs; there's not much guarantee Dwight will re-sign and even if he does return he'll probably be as disappointing as he was last season; the bench will be JUNK, just plain junk (Meeks, Hill and Jameson had their moments but were far too inconsistent) and they'll probably get sweet fuck all after the draft and the following round of trading.

Fuck everything.

markot

Banned
The Australian National University says it is seriously considering axing staff to deal with cuts to its budget.

Over the past month the ANU has been seeking suggestions from staff and students about how to respond to a budget hole of more than $50 million.

In its response to the hundreds of ideas put forward, the university has announced a number of potential savings that it will rule on in July.

In an announcement to students and staff on Friday, the ANU said staff salaries make up more than 50 per cent of its costs and is an area where considerable savings must be made.

The university says its professional workers now outnumber its academic staff.

It says the costs associated with that and its IT department far exceed those of comparable universities.

The university has also hinted there is room to increase the number of students and fees, raise parking fees, and move towards a self-insurance model for workers compensation.

It has also highlighted goals to reduce energy costs by 10 per cent.

But it has stopped short of any pay cut for its executive staff, labelling it as something that would be more symbolic than helpful.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-21/anu-flags-staff-cuts/4771892?section=act

legend166

An older team facing down LeBron et al in their own backyard at game 7 with all the expectations of the world behind them is an arduous task. Without a doubt, both sides left everything on the floor and once the Spurs had emptied themselves they started making mistakes.

A good series, but all the best moments were in game 1, 6 and 7. So many classic moments - Danny Greens revelatory 3-point shooting, Ray Allen's 3 at the end of regulation, Mike Miller hitting a 3 without a shoe, Bosh's block against, Manu playing like an energetic teenager in game 5, a headbandless LeBron making shots. Games 6 and 7 were their own highlight reels.

If it's any condolence to you, the Heat roster is $80,000,000, whereas today's Spurs would only cost you $60,000,000. More points to the dollar with San Antonio!

Dwyane Wade is done. Done. You know LBJ wants a triple to elevate his legacy to the level of MJ and Kobe but 2014 is gonna be tough for them with what I expect to be a weaker Heat roster.

Speaking of 2013-2014, I have no fucking idea what the Lakers are going to do. It's probably Nash's last season; Kobe might not be back straight away, and when he IS back, there's no way he's 100% and he still runs the risk of re-injuring himself; I love Pau Gasol but he might get traded and I don't trust D'Antoni to develop a system that makes smart use of two bigs; there's not much guarantee Dwight will re-sign and even if he does return he'll probably be as disappointing as he was last season; the bench will be JUNK, just plain junk (Meeks, Hill and Jameson had their moments but were far too inconsistent) and they'll probably get sweet fuck all after the draft and the following round of trading.

Fuck everything.

Dwight to the Clippers for Blake.

Fuck everything.
Yup

That Allen 3 after the LeBron fail was the championship moment. That's when I said, "Yep. They are NBA champions. They have what it takes to be the best of the best. Just pure class.

Duncan was god damned amazing this series. He faded a lot though, his age is showing but his skills are still fantastic. Gives 110% at all times too. Parker faded at the wrong game this series too, just didn't have it in the tank for game 7. Manu was all over the place. I can't see a retirement though until he or Duncan has a bad run of injuries, although the bench have really showed their class this season and the Pop team might have some ideas of bleeding in. You can tell Pop has loved every minute dealing with these aging champions and keeping the team at the peak of the competition.

Heat bench impressed me this series too, handy as fuck. Especially with Wade playing so shit. LeBron is still LeBron, gets better and better every year

You would expect them to cotton wool the fuck out of Kobe right? Priority would be getting him 100%. Bench will get a clean out you expect?

The Australian National University says it is seriously considering axing staff to deal with cuts to its budget.

Over the past month the ANU has been seeking suggestions from staff and students about how to respond to a budget hole of more than $50 million.

In its response to the hundreds of ideas put forward, the university has announced a number of potential savings that it will rule on in July.

In an announcement to students and staff on Friday, the ANU said staff salaries make up more than 50 per cent of its costs and is an area where considerable savings must be made.

The university says its professional workers now outnumber its academic staff.

It says the costs associated with that and its IT department far exceed those of comparable universities.

The university has also hinted there is room to increase the number of students and fees, raise parking fees, and move towards a self-insurance model for workers compensation.

It has also highlighted goals to reduce energy costs by 10 per cent.

But it has stopped short of any pay cut for its executive staff, labelling it as something that would be more symbolic than helpful.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-21/anu-flags-staff-cuts/4771892?section=act
Why? Find out why and fix it.

Then do what other uni's do. Find some contracts outside academia to make the big money.

Thanks to rep and bern for the spoiler tags. Much appreciated, gentlemen. Just finished the game.

It's the first game I've seen this year (I've only watched the last game of the season for the past 3 years, I think) so it's an oddly detached reaction that I had to the result.

Jintor

Does anybody else get this thing where they load new GAF pages but the last one you were looking at persists on the page until you switch out and back into the new tab? Using chrome.

Yes, it happens from time to time, especially when there are multiple tabs open.

Also, clicking submit after editing a recent post sometimes does not load, page has to be refreshed.

Deeku

awww yeah a tropical cyclone is nearby, wind signal no 3 in force!

i love all these warning thingamys

also, it's freakin hot like everyday. low 30s but it feels like that time it was 40 in syd:/ shirt + undershirt does not help

but, short shorts and minimal clothing everywhere!

edit:

ok so beauty and the geek aus is on a tv channel for whatever reason...i don't get it, the "beautys" are gross lookin, and the geeks are not nerdy...like, the description for one dude was "doing a double degree"....NERRRRRRRD!

r1chard

You can cancel the automatic UC3 download and select to only install the part you require, ie: SP, 2D SP, 3D SP, MP, language packs etc.

If you're just after the SP, it's like 12GB only.

I noticed that the download was split into four bits - I've paused the three I don't want and will see whether that works :)

ok so beauty and the geek aus is on a tv channel for whatever reason...i don't get it, the "beautys" are gross lookin, and the geeks are not nerdy...like, the description for one dude was "doing a double degree"....NERRRRRRRD!
LEARNIN' IS FOR SOCIAL OUTCASTS!!! DOUBLE LEARNIN' IS DOUBLE NOT NATURAL YOU HEAR ME!!

When I saw ads for that show years ago I didn't think any of the girls were particularly attractive. They filled a stereotype of what beauty should look like without quite actually achieving it, much like the guys fell into a visual range of what a nerd should be but probably didn't fully embody their moniker, either.

No one want to challenge their pre/mis conceptions while watching the tele.

Jintor

We kept getting those guys drop fliers around the Drama, Anime and Computing society stalls a few years back for contestants. I don't think they were going for 'beauties'.

Fogz

Some good 24 hour deals on GOG at the moment, like $5 Fez and Dyad, Back to the Future and Miasmata for $3.74, $3 Hotline Miami, FTL for $2.50
no trading cards though :(

I picked up Omerta: City of Gangsters + all DLC for $10, and Zafehouse Diaries, from an Australian dev I believe, for $2.50

And be sure to buy Witcher 2 for $6 and then download the full combat rebalance mod!

Top Bottom