• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Shaneus

What? The last 3 big sales were all on the Australian marketplace. All the publisher ones as well. In fact I can't think of any sales that were in the US but not here, apart from the odd random game.
I'm sure there have been a few, maybe I was mistaken. Maybe they were just games that weren't available in Australia.

The best part about building a new PC is the moment after you've put it all together, have ironed out the kinks and have hit the power button, and seeing that beautiful BIOS prompt screen pop up.

Also, turns out modern PCs don't have IDE connectors anymore. Had to buy a docking station so I could still use my older HDDs. All my old music is on a 160GB IDE drive. Maybe it's for the best. The very oldest HDD I have is from like 2001 or something.

Finally, despite being perfectly aware of the technical reasons they are so, SSDs are still so much smaller than they have any right to be.

AssCreed3 spoiler

So here I am, hanging out with Sam Adam, having a beer while George W. Washington is up there talking shit about being made CIC, and out of nowhere, "Fuck youse cunts". FUCKING TEMPLAR CUNT LEE IS SITTING RIGHT BEHIND ME?!? How the fuck does that make sense? I mean sure, Connor might spill his beer by why the fuck wouldn't he be like *eagle jump* *blade come out of sleeve into Lee's cunty throat* *fin troubles in White man paradise*. Makes no sense.

The way i think whats wrong about ACIII is as if EA Looked at ACII and said "hey we need a game like that."
So they clone it superficially without understanding what made it fun.

See also: dantes inferno, army of two, moh 2010, etc.

Except that it was ubi montreal.

I still dont think i can face getting ACIV unless it uber cheap.

legend166

Just pulled an all nighter for work. I ended up solving the problem and got about five minutes of satisfaction.

It was not worth it.

Whoa Clive, you're selling up? Where you moving to?

So I've decided* I want to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro. The YouTube videos I've seen of people drawing, editing and posting comics directly on the device is too much for me to resist. So I popped into Harvey Norman to try one out, and saw five Surfaces, three of which the wife had to reboot to get working, and none of which were identified as RT or Pro machines. Eventually a salesperson asked if they could help, and I asked if they had any Pro machines. She pointed out one neglected one in the group and so I asked where the pen was. "Oh, we took the pens away, people were stealing them"...but it's the one bit I needed to test? I need to hold that pen, and test if the screen really is pressure sensitive like my Wacom devices. "Oh, yeah, we'll, sorry *shrug*"

But hey it's the Internet's fault retail is tanking.

tl;dr can anyone here recommend a place I can try out a Surface Pro with a pen that I can then purchase one from.

* this decision will be revoked the second Apple announce an iPad that has a pressure sensitive screen.

posted from my iPad

I think you can check them out at JB Hifis. I've been to a couple recently and noticed they all suddenly had dedicated Surface sections, and their radio and online ads seem to be pushing Pros pretty hard. I didn't see if they had any pens, but I wasn't looking.

Pretty dour game of penalty ridden rugby last night, good result though. Nice and poetic that Halfpenny missed that shot to win.

Assassin's Creed 3 spoiler #2:
It's exactly like every other fucking Assassin's Creed game.

Nah, that's the issue. They fucked around too much with the stuff that did work in the formula and didn't fix the stuff that was irritating in previous games. No idea why they made the slight parkour change, no idea why the UI for several systems (like Brotherhood control) were fucked around with, no idea why they didn't run the game through QA. The hunting stuff was great, the ship combat missions were great, the 'tombs' were pretty fun, even the Homestead stuff is okay even though it obviously only got 30% of the resources it needed to make it a solid part of the game.

Also the fact that "optional" conditions can't be turned off in the UI is a fucking mindblowing decision that I would contend ruined the experience for a lot of players. Do you like being told you fucked up? Especially when a lot of the conditions require you to play the slice first to learn where everything is. Just make a toggle so people can play the game like AssCreed 2. It's not fucking hard. Instead everyone trys to meet a checklist rather than doing why the fucking story tells you to do or being a fucking Assassin and doing what the player thinks an Assassin should do. The optional conditions remove all of your freedom. It says, "GO DO THESE FUCKING THINGS OR ELSE YOU FAIL CUNT".
And I thought the Templars were the controlling ones :/

Shaneus

Spoiler alert:
I haven't played much of the AC series at all. I think I might've put an hour or two into the first one, but that's it.

Danoss

I can't believe I haven't heard of or seen this before. It's The Fist of Jesus, a 15 minute short film where, well, I don't want to spoil it. I'll just say that you should definitely watch it, it's fantastic and very funny. Perfect Sunday viewing.

Warning: This may offend some of our more religious christian members. Also, there is considerable blood and gore, but it is so over-the-top that most should be fine with it.

Fredescu

DmLi56X.png

Shaneus

Incredible. Should be in the first post for AusGAF X: The Dickhead PM Australia Had To Have.

I can't believe I haven't heard of or seen this before. It's The Fist of Jesus, a 15 minute short film where, well, I don't want to spoil it. I'll just say that you should definitely watch it, it's fantastic and very funny. Perfect Sunday viewing.

Warning: This may offend some of our more religious christian members. Also, there is considerable blood and gore, but it is so over-the-top that most should be fine with it.
Watching now. This'd better be good.

Bernbaum

Far Cry 2.

Just experienced possibly the best single moment in my decades-long career in gaming.

For those that have played Far Cry 2, or listened to extensive podcast discussion of the game, you'll know that the open-world game is largely unscripted and employs an array of 'interferences' such as weapon jams, onsets of malaria, and enemy vehicles ramming you from directions unknown.

The world design is fairly simple, but with several procedural systems overlapping each other, every encounter plays out very differently. There are side-missions galore which are fairly simple in their objective, and you may think a goal is easy to achieve but you have to consider many factors such as distance to the objective, time of day, number of 'bottlenecks' along the way (such as enemy checkpoints) and the reliability and suitability of the equipment you take with you.

So, I chose a 'destroy the competing arms dealer target' mission from the gunshop, one of many in the game. The objective is always the same: travel to an area on the map where a convoy of vehicles is constantly moving around, and destroy the large truck. Simple.

This mission was a fair distance away along the edge of the map, and occured in the second act of the game after a whole new map is opened up to the player. The new map was largely unexplored and I took the opportunity to unlock as many safe houses and enemy checkpoints as possible along the way to the target area. The enemy convoy isn't stationary and often has to be 'chased down' or ambushed from a position ahead along it's route.

I was in the area of the target convoy got held up at a enemy camp for longer than expected, with several enemy assault trucks all deciding it would be a fantastic time to all converge on this one camp. Having eliminated the foot soldiers residing in the camp, and several of the assault trucks taken out with grenades, I had what I thought was one remaining assault truck to take out before I explored the camp for gear. I equipped my favourite ordnance weapon - the explosive bow and arrow right from the start of the game, and lined up the target through the scope, limiting my field of view.

Those who have played FC2 will know the explosive arrows follow an arc through the air and aren't too accurate at a distance.

The very moment I let the arrow fly, the enemy convoy came into view. The explosive arrow hit the truck dead-on, it exploded, and I cleared the objective.

I had NO IDEA the truck was anywhere near the camp! The area the convoys traverse is fairly large and it could have been ANYWHERE on the map but at that very moment, through sheer chance, it ended up right in my line of sight at the exact second I pulled the trigger. Far Cry 2 is a heavily procedural game, and the chances of something like that happening are incredibly remote yet alas, it happened.

There are plenty other moments like that throughout the game but that so far has been the most unexpected and rewarding.

Such a fantastic game.

Far Cry 2.

Shaneus

May offend? May? Bahaha.

Oh man, that was fucking incredible. I don't know how I hadn't heard of it either. Amazing story.

The leper! (about the only spoiler I can mention that doesn't really give away any of the plot, you sneaky spoiler cheater folk)

Danoss

May offend? May? Bahaha.

Oh man, that was fucking incredible. I don't know how I hadn't heard of it either. Amazing story.

The leper! (about the only spoiler I can mention that doesn't really give away any of the plot, you sneaky spoiler cheater folk)

It's pretty hard not to like. It's amazing.

I'm watching the comments roll in from a mate over IM as he's watching it. I'm in tears from laughing just thinking about it as I read them.

Shaneus

It's pretty hard not to like. It's amazing.

I'm watching the comments roll in from a mate over IM as he's watching it. I'm in tears from laughing just thinking about it as I read them.
It's really, really well done. I posted it on my FB as "The true story of Jesus". Made sure I removed the thumbnail as well so as to not give anything away :D

Actual spoiler:
Holy shit, when he brought Judas back to life, but forgot to get him off the noose and he died again... fuuuuucking hell!

I guess there will be rioting as a result of this video. At least two cups of tea will be involved.

that is some world class gore, but I couldn't watch it as a result.

Far Cry 2.

Just experienced possibly the best single moment in my decades-long career in gaming.

For those that have played Far Cry 2, or listened to extensive podcast discussion of the game, you'll know that the open-world game is largely unscripted and employs an array of 'interferences' such as weapon jams, onsets of malaria, and enemy vehicles ramming you from directions unknown.

The world design is fairly simple, but with several procedural systems overlapping each other, every encounter plays out very differently. There are side-missions galore which are fairly simple in their objective, and you may think a goal is easy to achieve but you have to consider many factors such as distance to the objective, time of day, number of 'bottlenecks' along the way (such as enemy checkpoints) and the reliability and suitability of the equipment you take with you.

So, I chose a 'destroy the competing arms dealer target' mission from the gunshop, one of many in the game. The objective is always the same: travel to an area on the map where a convoy of vehicles is constantly moving around, and destroy the large truck. Simple.

This mission was a fair distance away along the edge of the map, and occured in the second act of the game after a whole new map is opened up to the player. The new map was largely unexplored and I took the opportunity to unlock as many safe houses and enemy checkpoints as possible along the way to the target area. The enemy convoy isn't stationary and often has to be 'chased down' or ambushed from a position ahead along it's route.

I was in the area of the target convoy got held up at a enemy camp for longer than expected, with several enemy assault trucks all deciding it would be a fantastic time to all converge on this one camp. Having eliminated the foot soldiers residing in the camp, and several of the assault trucks taken out with grenades, I had what I thought was one remaining assault truck to take out before I explored the camp for gear. I equipped my favourite ordnance weapon - the explosive bow and arrow right from the start of the game, and lined up the target through the scope, limiting my field of view.

Those who have played FC2 will know the explosive arrows follow an arc through the air and aren't too accurate at a distance.

The very moment I let the arrow fly, the enemy convoy came into view. The explosive arrow hit the truck dead-on, it exploded, and I cleared the objective.

I had NO IDEA the truck was anywhere near the camp! The area the convoys traverse is fairly large and it could have been ANYWHERE on the map but at that very moment, through sheer chance, it ended up right in my line of sight at the exact second I pulled the trigger. Far Cry 2 is a heavily procedural game, and the chances of something like that happening are incredibly remote yet alas, it happened.

There are plenty other moments like that throughout the game but that so far has been the most unexpected and rewarding.

Such a fantastic game.

Far Cry 2.

Here is your next gem to buff up.

Gazunta

Thanks everyone who recommended JB for my MS Surface Pro search. The local one had a demo unit proudly set up, with pen, and I was able to do some quick sketching. I didn't get to test the pressure sensitivity but really just needed to hold the pen and feel what it was like to draw on the screen. So looks like JB will be getting my cash even though its a bit more expensive there.

I've tried every art app for the iPad under the sun and have a few styluses as well, but I think I really need to move on as far as art productivity goes. As things stand even if im able to draw a comic completely on the ipad theres there's no way for me to actually upload it to the site, which is kinda annoying.

Oh yeah video games. Xcom on iPad continues to be fucking amazing. I've probably played it more than the PC version.

markot

Banned
Thanks everyone who recommended JB for my MS Surface Pro search. The local one had a demo unit proudly set up, with pen, and I was able to do some quick sketching. I didn't get to test the pressure sensitivity but really just needed to hold the pen and feel what it was like to draw on the screen. So looks like JB will be getting my cash even though its a bit more expensive there.

I've tried every art app for the iPad under the sun and have a few styluses as well, but I think I really need to move on as far as art productivity goes. As things stand even if im able to draw a comic completely on the ipad theres there's no way for me to actually upload it to the site, which is kinda annoying.

Oh yeah video games. Xcom on iPad continues to be fucking amazing. I've probably played it more than the PC version.

galaxy note 10.1

Gazunta

Yeah, tried that. Really liked the pen, pressure sensitivity was good, and the screen was nice and big.

But for a bit extra I get to run "real" Photoshop, so that's a real draw for me.

Shaneus

Yeah, tried that. Really liked the pen, pressure sensitivity was good, and the screen was nice and big.

But for a bit extra I get to run "real" Photoshop, so that's a real draw for me.
Did you contemplate the stylus/pen I suggested earlier?

It says shark, einstein.
Top work, you uncultured swine.
Thank you. Should've just left markot thinking that he was the only person able to read what's on that album cover, though.

That was amazing. Thanks.

Top Bottom