• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Shaneus

Oh, I like this:
Another user, Therese Pearce, said she was "disgusted and embarrassed" for the Australian people.

"Hell i might just have to use snow white and the 7 dwarfs next time i take the oath for australia," she posted.
Some day that braniac will work out that one book is about as true as the other, so by doing so she's saying that using the bible is just as valid. Fucking moron.

$10 box of contact lenses from Spec Savers. Can get the 3 month prescription, yay! Wife is happy with that bargain.
I wish I was able to actually put in contact lenses! When I last tried (a LONG time ago) I could never get it right... kept flinching :/ Maybe now I've had my ADHD sorted and under control I should give them a crack.

Hopefully that deal lasts more than a few days, I might go get my eyes tested then grab some, see how I go.

Jintor

I was reading Cosmos by Carl Sagan while I was watching the TV report and was idly thinking about how rad that would be to swear an oath of office on.

I wish I was able to actually put in contact lenses! When I last tried (a LONG time ago) I could never get it right... kept flinching :/ Maybe now I've had my ADHD sorted and under control I should give them a crack.

Hopefully that deal lasts more than a few days, I might go get my eyes tested then grab some, see how I go.

Same here, I don't like the idea of it. I should get a prescription and try it out though. Fucking hate my glasses, get so dirty all the time. Fucking post-processing effects :(

Also didn't realise you need to buy TWO packs to use them. One pack for each eye unless your eyes have the exact same prescription. What a waste of time. Oh well, imports like usual.

Danoss

Same here, I don't like the idea of it. I should get a prescription and try it out though. Fucking hate my glasses, get so dirty all the time. Fucking post-processing effects :(

Also didn't realise you need to buy TWO packs to use them. One pack for each eye unless your eyes have the exact same prescription. What a waste of time. Oh well, imports like usual.

For cheap cleaning solution, keep one of the little spray bottles and just buy a big bottle of pure Isopropyl Alcohol (not that Isocol shit). It's cheap and is mostly whats in the solution anyway, except I find it much more effective. A while ago I found 5L of it for $20 online, right after I paid the same price for 1L. Still on the 1L bottle after years though.

I've imported contacts and looking at the Specsavers prices, they're actually on-par or better than the cheapest prices I was previously getting.

It's all practice man. It took me a while to get used to doing it, now it's easy as pie. The more you do it, the better you get at not flinching or blinking when you go to put it in. I found that part of the trick is where you look as you do it, also using your eyelid muscles as well as your fingers to keep them open helps. I wasn't on meds at the time, so it's totally doable.

Make sure to grab some eye drops too, your eyes will dry out while wearing them, especially because of the dex tablets which make this more the case. I recommend the "Blink contacts" brand ones, which I find are excellent and totally worth the extra cost.

$13 for Assassin's Creed 3, that's about the price I am willing to waste on it.

Also, goddam 2013 sucks for buying a gaming only TV, they all have obscene amounts of input lag, well except the panasonic s60 (only available here in 60") for a bargain price of $1600. The other alternative is to buy an LCD yuck, or spend an assload more on a VT or ZT panasonic. But when you are looking at twice the price at a MINIMUM I think the S60 is the way to go as it's only for gaming.

Will be my next tv. Though with that said my current Sony LCD just keeps on trucking on.

senahorse

Will be my next tv. Though with that said my current Sony LCD just keeps on trucking on.

Seems like a great TV for the price, the only major drawback I can see is the lack of an AR filter to help with glare/reflections, seems to be a mirror finish. Fine for me though as my games room (rumpus) is light controlled with block out curtains.

Shaneus

For cheap cleaning solution, keep one of the little spray bottles and just buy a big bottle of pure Isopropyl Alcohol (not that Isocol shit). It's cheap and is mostly whats in the solution anyway, except I find it much more effective. A while ago I found 5L of it for $20 online, right after I paid the same price for 1L. Still on the 1L bottle after years though.

I've imported contacts and looking at the Specsavers prices, they're actually on-par or better than the cheapest prices I was previously getting.

It's all practice man. It took me a while to get used to doing it, now it's easy as pie. The more you do it, the better you get at not flinching or blinking when you go to put it in. I found that part of the trick is where you look as you do it, also using your eyelid muscles as well as your fingers to keep them open helps. I wasn't on meds at the time, so it's totally doable.

Make sure to grab some eye drops too, your eyes will dry out while wearing them, especially because of the dex tablets which make this more the case. I recommend the "Blink contacts" brand ones, which I find are excellent and totally worth the extra cost.
Fantastic. I suppose for that Spec Savers price, I could easily just get a box of the single-day use ones and practice with those.

Hell, I probably still have some of my old ones around, but I'm guessing they don't have an expiry of almost 10 years, lolz.

senahorse

I got some 100% iso from Ebay recently for pretty cheap, stuff is great for cleaning but also lethal, as in you're not meant to even handle it without gloves, also it gives me a headache if I use it for more than a few minutes at a time.

jambo

Cosmos should be mandatory reading/viewing in schools.

Nah, this is the one that needs to be mandatory:

qsTmVWw.jpg

jambo

Does Sagan have any books on tape that are read by him? I imagine they'd be nothing short of *amazing*.

As far as I know the only one he ever did was Pale Blue Dot and he died halfway through recording so someone else had to do the rest.

Shaneus

His voice is cool but I always get distracted when he says yooman.
I don't know if you've ever heard Tim... someone... speak (he was a big advocate for LSD) but he pronounces "robot" just like Dr. Zoidberg. It's really distracting as well.

Robut.

Danoss

Fantastic. I suppose for that Spec Savers price, I could easily just get a box of the single-day use ones and practice with those.

Hell, I probably still have some of my old ones around, but I'm guessing they don't have an expiry of almost 10 years, lolz.

You'll find the single use ones a bit different to mess around with. They're a little more difficult to get in because they're flimsier, but I just hold it onto my eyeball a bit longer (you can feel this happen as the coolness by the saline makes contact) and it stays put. The flimsiness does make them much easier to remove, you don't have to be as firm as you do with the longer lasting contacts.

A great idea since you'll have 30 of the things to play with. Acuvue Moist are my preference. I buy the dailies because I currently don't use them a whole lot, so the longer ones are a waste, especially since I need to buy the astigmatism ones which are more expensive.

I got some 100% iso from Ebay recently for pretty cheap, stuff is great for cleaning but also lethal, as in you're not meant to even handle it without gloves, also it gives me a headache if I use it for more than a few minutes at a time.

I believe contact with the skin is fine, but in most cases it should be washed off. It's used in disinfecting pads, not at full concentration, but still quite high. It's very drying, as you would imagine and is used diluted as rubbing alcohol because of this. I've spilled it on my hands accidentally and it feels kind of like acetone, this isn't surprising as they're both solvents and isopropyl alcohol can be made into acetone (and I've read that your liver will do this if it is imbibed).

With constant usage, it would be more dangerous with the inhalation of it. As you would know the odour is acrid and it is supposed to be used in a well ventilated area. I don't do this and nothing has happened, but if it does I can only blame myself.

jambo

Might have a spare PAXAus ticket for Saturday, possibly someone pulling out because of financial reasons.

Anyone need one?

Update:
Xbox Live Games on Demand sale
Monday Only

Assassin’s Creed 3 for 1200 allards or $20
Borderlands 2 for 600 allards or $10
Max Payne 3 for 600 allards or $10

All Week Discounts

Brothers in Arms: Hell’s Highway for 320 allards or $5
Bulletstorm for 320 allards or $5
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 for 320 allards or $5
Crysis for 320 allards or $5
Dragon Age Origins for 320 allards or $5
Far Cry Instincts Predator for 320 allards or $5
Mass Effect for 320 allards or $5
Prey for 160 allards or $3
WWE 13 for 1200 allards or $20

Not Yet On Sale

Bioshock Infinite (not on sale yet)
Crysis 3 (not on sale yet)
Forza Horizon (not on sale yet)
Gears Judgement (not on sale yet)
Hasbro Family Game Night 3 (not on sale yet)
Hitman Absolution (not on sale yet)
Kinect Sports 2 (not on sale yet)
Left 4 Dead 2 (not on sale yet)
Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes (not on sale yet)
Lego Lord of the Rings (not on sale yet)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengence (not on sale yet)
Monopoly Streets (not on sale yet)
Rockstar Table Tennis (not on sale yet
The Orange Box (not on sale yet
Tomb Raider (not on sale yet
Witcher 2 (not on sale yet

X-com: Enemy Unknown (not on sale yet)

No Dice For Us Aussies

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga (US only sale) :(
Perfect Dark Zero (shit local price) :(
Far Cry 3 (shit local price) :(

Will grab Borderlands 2 at that price!

Thanks for the advice! Ended up getting them for the wife with a friend so we will see how they go. Will see if I can track down some drops around town tomorrow (or maybe just go online as it seems the contacts could be 2 weeks or so).

I might even book myself in to get a script done!

Hot n Spicy is so much better than regular KFC. I don't know why they even bother with that other stuff.
Truth. Totally got me to go BACK to KFC within a month of visiting. Never happens!

"In the interests of inclusiveness, we wish to not be included."

Seems like it could've been a good opportunity to talk about some of the stuff that happened, maybe even with Mike.
I'm all for trying to educate people but there reaches a point where it almost becomes accepted that they will not try to understand.

Danoss

Thanks for the advice! Ended up getting them for the wife with a friend so we will see how they go. Will see if I can track down some drops around town tomorrow (or maybe just go online as it seems the contacts could be 2 weeks or so).

I might even book myself in to get a script done!.

No worries, cleaning glasses is a pain, but isopropyl alcohol makes it easier and much cheaper. Since I clean with tissues (as does everyone I know) I use an air blower used in photography for blowing dust from equipment to knock the dust left behind on the lenses, super clear!

If it's been at least 2 years since your last visit, absolutely make an appointment. I just had mine done and my left eye got much worse and my right eye was actually a little better. Weird.

Might have a spare PAXAus ticket for Saturday, possibly someone pulling out because of financial reasons.

Anyone need one?

I have a mate that only got Friday tickets but the rest of us got Friday and Saturday. If there is a ticket up for grabs, then I would put my hand up for it.

On that note, ABC extra hot chili sauce > Sriracha.
All hot sauces can coexist peacefully! They all have their place*.

* Except maybe that crazy hot habanero sauce I made a few months back. Made the wife's eyes water just walking in the house. Tried a small sample when I made it, my lips took 25 minutes to stop burning.

Kritz

Banned
Unless MelbGAF chime in with a good place that can sit a decent amount of people without notice, it'll probably just be Beer Deluxe.

Hey rep, you forgot about the PSN sale:

Massive PSN sale coming up :
Prices below come in sets of three. From left to right, they are: original price, sale price, and PlayStation Plus price.

July 2-9
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3 | $19.99/$9.99/$5.00)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (PS3 | $59.99/$41.99/$37.79)
Mortal Kombat (PS3 | $19.99/$9.99/$5.00)
Mortal Kombat (Vita | $19.99/$9.99/$5.00)
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands (PS3 | $19.99/$7.99/$4.00)
Ratchet & Clank Collection (PS3 | $19.99/$14.99/$7.50)
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game (PSN | $9.99/$3.99/$2.00)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS3 | $19.99/$9.99/$5.00)
The Amazing Spider-Man (PS3 | $49.99/$29.99/$20.99)
The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s Quest (PSP | $9.99/$4.99/$2.50)

July 9-16
Alice: Madness Returns (PS3 | $19.99/$7.99/$4.00)
Fast & Furious: Showdown (PS3 | $39.99/$31/99/$23/99)
Fight Night Champion (PS3 | $29.99/$11.99/$6.00)
Hitman Trilogy HD (PS3 | $39.99/$19.99/$15.99)
Just Cause 2 (PS3 | $19.99/$9.99/$5.00)
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (PS3 | $29.99/$14.99/$7.50)
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Vita | $19.99/$9.99/$5.00)
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean (PS3 | $19.99/$9.99/$5.00)
Lord of the Rings: War in the North (PS3 | $19.99/$9.99/$5.00)
Men in Black: Alien Crisis (PS3 | $39.99/$29.99/$20.99)
Prince of Persia Classics Trilogy (PS3 | $39.99/$15.99/$8.00)
Silent Hill: Book of Memories (Vita | $29.99/$14.99/$7.50)
Star Trek (PS3 | $54.99/$43.99/$32.99)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (PS3 | $19.99/$9.99/$5.00)
The Adventures of TinTin: The Game (PS3 | $39.99/$19.99/$10.00)
The Simpsons Arcade Game (PSN | $9.99/$6.99/$4.89)
Tron Evolution (PSP | $19.99/$7.99/$4.00)
X-Men (PSN | $9.99/$6.99/$4.89)

Also,

998347_607673665933944_1723123921_n.jpg

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
At this point, I know korean BBQ one night is a plan. Rid knows of a place so we just need to figure out a day and numbers, Probably friday or so.

Not sure about beers. I think clipper still needs to modify the google spreadsheet so we can figure out where everyone is staying and pick a few places that are within everyones range.

Thats the current plan.

Top Bottom