• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Fredescu

But the act of spitting (implementing DRM) never happened. The analogy would be "if you announced your intention to spit in my face, then changed your mind..." which is hardly as effective.

If you consider the announcement itself the spitting, and it's not unreasonable to do so, then there's no problem with his analogy.

If you call me a thieving cunt but then a few weeks or months later say it was all a misunderstanding and you wont treat me like a thieving cunt after all I will still remember you called me a thieving cunt.

The issues with Broken Age, the long development cycle, the cutting of content and the staggered release next year are making it quite apparent the benefits of a strong publishing partner.

m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=611601

Nine Inch Nails was a good example of this too in the music industry, good to know there will always be reason for both methods to continue in the future.

I consider myself a pro-level grudge holder but since MS have taken a well-earned beating, have rescinded the policies that have been repudiated (publicly, at least ) by the people who were to gain most by them, and Mattrick has hit the Kinect-powered escape pod, what's left? More expensive because it has a Kinect?

Does this mean I have still hold onto $599, Other OS, Paywall PSN MP, Waggle, Final Fantasy on Xbox, N64 using carts instead of discs, Colecovision playing Atari carts, etc.

what's the statute of limitations? I suspect its as soon as a killer app appears. Even though I've ordered both, it's multiplat games that I've ordered with them.

Good on Avalanche. How would they have liked it if 4 aussies impersonated abba for 20 years?
apart from Bjorn Again

jambo

We won =D

http://games.on.net/2013/07/mad-max-will-finally-have-a-proper-australian-accent/

Mad Max is somewhat of an iconic Australian film, and the revelation that the upcoming game of the same name would replace Max with a generic grizzled American action-man voice left a lot of people quite unhappy.

Now, Avalanche studio head Christopher Sundberg has revealed via Twitter that the Australian accent is set to return.

“Attn. fans who want Max to have an Aussie accent in #MadMaxGame: It shall be so,” he wrote. “We admire your loyalty. You have been heard.”

The news comes after more than 2,500 people pledged their support in a petition started by our bros over at Ausgamers. Good work, guys.

Hopefully they pick a real Aussie voice actor for the role though...

Let us know that price and I'll see what the mate can afford.

RfSELvm.jpg

or $60 + p/h should be fine...

R* didn't announce Red Dead Redemption on PC... ever.

Different R*

Fredescu

what's the statute of limitations?

This implies some sort of objective moral code that doesn't really exist. I assume Edge is aiming it's article at people trying to decide between the two. If you're the type of person to have multiple consoles on pre order you're probably beyond help not the intended audience.

Different R*

I really doubt that kind of decision gets made at the studio level.

jambo

I really doubt that kind of decision gets made at the studio level.

I meant more that R* San Diego hadn't done any PC development since 2003.

Probably a combination of that and a worry about lack of sales.

With Steam nowadays though, they'll make back the cost of the porting job in no time.

Fredescu

With Steam nowadays though, they'll make back the cost of the porting job in no time.

With Steam in them days they would have too. It's not like RDR was from the dark days of spotty ports. No RDR on PC remains a bizarre decision. Rep might be right that it was too messy to bother with though, I don't know.

Even if GTAV comes to PC I don't know if I want it, GTAIV still runs like a turd years on.

No worse than the console versions, and generally better looking besides.

This implies some sort of objective moral code that doesn't really exist. I assume Edge is aiming it's article at people trying to decide between the two. If you're the type of person to have multiple consoles on pre order you're probably beyond help not the intended audience.

I have been beyond help for a long time otherwise I would have quit with the Dreamcast.

Also Paywall Xbox Live. And Pay For Map Packs.

yup.

Shaneus

Yep, buy PS+ through PSN. Cheapest way to do it, wait for a sale like last time when it was like $55 or something.
eASIE9A.jpg

We won =D

http://games.on.net/2013/07/mad-max-will-finally-have-a-proper-australian-accent/

They've said it's an Aussie accent. They haven't mentioned whether it's still set in Australia or not, which was what the whole issue was in the first place, wasn't it? Sounds like a cop-out or an artful dodge by Avalanche.

Edit: Okay, I was thinking of a different petition. So they have an Aussie voice actor, but no mention of the location? I *thought* that was the issue in the first place, but maybe I'm wrong. PS. People who could potentially play him:
cIRVASbm.jpg

qpxNwiZm.jpg

Can't think of anyone else in the US who could do it. None come to mind, at least.

I consider myself a pro-level grudge holder but since MS have taken a well-earned beating, have rescinded the policies that have been repudiated (publicly, at least ) by the people who were to gain most by them, and Mattrick has hit the Kinect-powered escape pod, what's left? More expensive because it has a Kinect?

Does this mean I have still hold onto $599, Other OS, Paywall PSN MP, Waggle, Final Fantasy on Xbox, N64 using carts instead of discs, Colecovision playing Atari carts, etc.

what's the statute of limitations? I suspect its as soon as a killer app appears. Even though I've ordered both, it's multiplat games that I've ordered with them.

This is pretty much how I feel. They've backtracked and admitted they were wrong and got rid of Mattrick. I mean I understand why people are pissed, but as far as mea culpas go, they've just done a pretty big one.

We won =D

Shit, forgot to reply to the second mulitquote.

WEDIDIT.gif! Is there a we did it gif?

Mentioning Party Animals is career poison. :)

Um...not a huge amount to tell about those guys except they really know their stuff and I've got every confidence in the world the game is going to be fantastic. I've had the pleasure of working with them on Party Animals, Ga'Hoole and Happy Feet 2 (and maybe Spyro too? It was so long ago...) and they all deserve sainthoods for putting up with having my useless ass on the team. So I know they have what it takes to get the game done. This KS has been coming for a long time now, they're putting a fuckton of work into it and you should support more local development.

Just my opinion :)
Yeah, I would, but I heard you worked on Party Animals, so I'm not so sure now.

It is launching with it. The day one patch is to remove the DRM.
So in order to remove the always online DRM to allow those without an internet connection to use the console you have to hook the machine up to the internet?

If true: Bravo, Microsoft. Bravo.

Hmmm, that's a good point. I think you may hav-- hang on did you work on Party Animals?!?!

We won =D

Cue gamers complaining about the weird voices or questions about "Is this set in England?"

Stackboy

Early adopters to PS4 and Xbone; what's made you make this decision? Just curious after the last cycle had so many hardware errors and difficulties at launch.

Early adopters to PS4 and Xbone; what's made you make this decision? Just curious after the last cycle had so many hardware errors and difficulties at launch.
Being able to get the console (PS4) for $200 (after trade in credit). It's as simple as that. You can barely get a PS3 for that price 8 years after launch; I can foresee a time where I'll be able to get it for that little.

Fredescu

Cheap price, funded entirely by selling and trading in games that I don't want to keep, four games on launch with PS+, stick it to the Xbone, lack of foresight.

Updated
Xbox Live Games on Demand sale
Monday Only

Assassin’s Creed 3 for 1200 allards or $20 EXPIRED
Borderlands 2 for 600 allards or $10 EXPIRED
Max Payne 3 for 600 allards or $10

Tuesday Only

Hasbro Family Game Night 3 for 600 allards or $10
Kinect Sports 2 for 600 allards or $10
Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes for 600 allards or $10
Lego Lord of the Rings for 1200 allards or $20 ($5 more expensive than the US) :(
Monopoly Streets for 600 allards or $10
Rockstar Table Tennis for 160 allards or $3

Wednesday Only!

Crysis 3 for 1800 allards or $30 (US get it for $20) :(
The Orange Box is 320 allards or $5 (BUY IT YOU IDIOTS)
Witcher 2 isn't on sale in our region yet, is 600 allards or $10 in the US :( :(

All Week Discounts

Brothers in Arms: Hell’s Highway for 320 allards or $5
Bulletstorm for 320 allards or $5
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 for 320 allards or $5
Crysis for 320 allards or $5
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga now 320 allards or $5 for Aussies!!!
Dragon Age Origins for 320 allards or $5
Far Cry Instincts Predator for 320 allards or $5
Mass Effect for 320 allards or $5
Prey for 160 allards or $3
WWE 13 for 1200 allards or $20

Not Yet On Sale

Bioshock Infinite (not on sale yet)
Forza Horizon (not on sale yet)
Gears Judgement (not on sale yet)
Hitman Absolution (not on sale yet)
Left 4 Dead 2 (not on sale yet)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengence (not on sale yet)
Tomb Raider (not on sale yet
X-com: Enemy Unknown (not on sale yet)

No Dice For Us Aussies

Perfect Dark Zero (shit local price) :(
Far Cry 3 (shit local price) :(

Just pretty keen in general. I'm not 100% if I'll get it at launch, I'm anticipating cash flow problems, but I'll be there pretty early. I loves me a console launch.

I might be late to the party with this, but has this been posted? What happens when Q3A bots play for four years

I had never bought a playstation at launch. This is first time they've been reasonably priced. I bought both Xboxes at launch because there were games I wanted to play, same with the last three Nintendo consoles. I am spectacularly bored with 360 and PS3 though. TLOU and Sly Cooper were the first PS3 games I have played in over a year.

That and the fact it's really a phantom preorder since its with Amazon. no money down and they could still say"no OS orders fulfilled."

Hmmm, that's a good point. I think you may hav-- hang on did you work on Party Animals?!?!

That would be career suicide.

This is pretty much how I feel. They've backtracked and admitted they were wrong and got rid of Mattrick. I mean I understand why people are pissed, but as far as mea culpas go, they've just done a pretty big one.

I guess it's also an age thing. I'm turning 40 in a few months. I'm a hell of a lot more forgiving than I was at 20 or even 30. I don't have it in me to be 100% angry about everything all the time. MS not doing something bad they said they would is good, not bad.

They've said it's an Aussie accent. They haven't mentioned whether it's still set in Australia or not, which was what the whole issue was in the first place, wasn't it? Sounds like a cop-out or an artful dodge by Avalanche.

Brit Tom Hardy is Max in the movie. He's apparently doing the accent. The game and movie aren't linked specifically. I would be highly surprised if they didn't merge the two for marketing purposes unless Tom Hardy's agent is a prick

Also update for our region! Finally let us in on this awesome deal!

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga now 320 allards or $5 for Aussies!!!

Tempted by PS4 having a handful of F2P games ready around launch. Already having PS+ also makes it a huge temptation knowing that I can start the console up and already have 4 games (including Don't Starve which I really want to play) ready to go.

Will wait for first sale though!

Fredescu

Ooooooh, revenge buy. Nice! It's like angry sex... just not with the person with whom you are angry.

Every purchase I've made since my 360 red ringed has been a revenge buy against the Xbox brand. I'm not console warrior, but I hate that platform. Not because of the red ring mind, that was just the straw.

I might be late to the party with this, but has this been posted? What happens when Q3A bots play for four years

Thanks, I was wondering why Carmack tweeted this: https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/352192259418103809

Fake, but funny.

Shaneus

Brit Tom Hardy is Max in the movie. He's apparently doing the accent. The game and movie aren't linked specifically. I would be highly surprised if they didn't merge the two for marketing purposes unless Tom Hardy's agent is a prick
Things I learned today:
There's a new Mad Max movie.

Every purchase I've made since my 360 red ringed has been a revenge buy against the Xbox brand. I'm not console warrior, but I hate that platform. Not because of the red ring mind, that was just the straw.

Thanks, I was wondering why Carmack tweeted this: https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/352192259418103809

Fake, but funny.

I know it's fake, but I did some googling about Quake 3 bots and found this master thesis...

http://www.ai.rug.nl/~mwiering/thesis_j_g_gerrits.pdf

61 pages on CTF bot optimisation haha, brilliant.

I was afraid it was fake, but I really wanted to believe.
And that's a masters thesis I could get behind. A mate of mine found a peer-reviewed journal for comic book analysis. He's currently trying to figure out if reading comics analtyically would make him hate them. It's still probably worth it. I'm not really into comics but I'd still do that

Heh heh heh... angry sex... heh heh heh... red ring... tee hee hee.

Fredescu

Can I ask why? Just curious.

The focus on it by Microsoft caused them to kill off their PC studios and stop developing or even porting PC games. Prior to that they marketed the first Xbox as "just like a PC" and a lot of people I know bought into that rubbish, when it was really just another closed off console and nothing at all like a PC. The 360 had proprietary ports, severely limiting third party peripherals, and making those that did exist rather expensive, I guess due to licensing costs. Ridiculous hard drive upgrade costs. Gold sub required for peer to peer online play, offering nothing else of value. XBLA started out good but scaled very poorly and tales of poor treatments of developers and exorbitant title update costs.

There is probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

To be fair, the controller was awesome, and the integration of chat/messaging with gaming was better than anything else anywhere, even on PC.

If I had the time of day for both consoles, I'd probably get an Xbone just for Sunset Overdrive, but I barely have time to play what I've got, so it's easy to "boycott" it. Like someone who doesn't like coffee boycotting Gloria Jeans.

Xbox gave us the mighty 360 controller. So good.

If I had the time of day for both consoles, I'd probably get an Xbone just for Sunset Overdrive, but I barely have time to play what I've got, so it's easy to "boycott" it. Like someone who doesn't like coffee boycotting Gloria Jeans.

My boycott hurts mainly because of the peach iced tea I'm missing out on :(

senahorse

The focus on it by Microsoft caused them to kill off their PC studios and stop developing or even porting PC games. Prior to that they marketed the first Xbox as "just like a PC" and a lot of people I know bought into that rubbish, when it was really just another closed off console and nothing at all like a PC. The 360 had proprietary ports, severely limiting third party peripherals, and making those that did exist rather expensive, I guess due to licensing costs. Ridiculous hard drive upgrade costs. Gold sub required for peer to peer online play, offering nothing else of value. XBLA started out good but scaled very poorly and tales of poor treatments of developers and exorbitant title update costs.

There is probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

To be fair, the controller was awesome, and the integration of chat/messaging with gaming was better than anything else anywhere, even on PC.

Good point, I didn't think about that (MGS and the death of PC support), totally understand and voting with the wallet is the best thing you can do. The other things (XBLA, dev support etc) I also agree with. Thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom