• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Fredescu

Does anyone know how to find non Uplay supported Ubisoft games on their website? I got free Trackmania 2 and Rayman Origins from that Lynx promo, but I can't find it anywhere. I was sure you used to be able to see all of your games on your account, but now with Uplay I only see three.

I'm pretty sure a bunch of you got in on the action when they had that pricing error and a bunch of games were $0. Can anyone see those games still? I can't find an account page other than the Uplay one.

markot

Banned
I bought anno 2070. It took 30+ minutes till I could play it from click 'launch' cause of all the shit it installs >_<;

markot

Banned
Whats the dealio?!

Water cooling uses fans? Then whats the point?!

Anyway... if you were buying a graphics card NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

What would it be?

Also computer case with quietness as supreme desireability. But also room for graphics cards.

markot

Banned
Yes budget.

Less then $300 like 250...

Also it has to be a decent upgrade from a 6950 >.< or I will feel stupid.

I thought water would be cool and quiet, boo to that!

Fredescu

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
trying to organise a meeting with a client for work.. this conversation just occured.

them "hows your friday?"
me "was just about to say, i'm on leave then"
them: "....PAX?"
me: "...yes..."
them: "me too."

this was a NON IT client lol.

Danoss

Danoss, iv been thinking and i agree with you more that the dnd system isnt the best. the main reason for me at least is that nothings very clear anymore with the introduction of the essentials line and 4e in general things got over complicated. what other systems do you recommend
edit: also i never thought it was the best in case anyone read it like that, i just didnt hate it

Apologies in advance for this long post. I hope some other roleplayers read it because there might be something of interest in here for them too.

If you're looking for an alternative to D&D, it will depend on what sort of experience you're looking for. The main thing would be knowing what sort of story you would like to tell and how involved your character is in the shaping of this.

The problem I have with D&D, and I've probably expressed this at length numerous times, is that it is heavily geared towards tactical combat and not much more. Roleplay can occur as much as you like outside of this, but the system won't get involved in much, if any, of it. There may be an occasional diplomacy check, nature, arcana or insight check or maybe a skill challenge, but they're not very deep or involved. The system won't really step in until one side or the other says "I don't like what you're doing and where this is going, so now I will hit you and we will fight to the death, winner gets the other person's stuff".

Many people like it, but it really becomes apparent as you reach higher levels how problematic it can be. I just played on Saturday and our characters are Level 26. One combat encounter took about 3 hours, that's right, one combat encounter. That's not fun or ideal. We've tried to streamline combat as much as possible including being up front with enemy stats so we know what is needed to hit before choosing a power ahead of time. We cannot make it any quicker without completely overhauling the combat system, and that would defeat the purpose of playing the D&D system in the first place. It's absurd, especially when calculating damage takes longer than anything else, when writing out dice totals or pulling out a calculator to tally damage is necessary, it has gone way too far; at this point its an exercise in maths class, not a game.

Of course this is the design of D&D. It is meant to tell the story of someone starting off as a lowly acolyte in their chosen field and ascending to the power of a god. The rising stats, complexity of abilities, dice pools and damage all feed into the power fantasy the game is designed to be. This is the experience and the story that D&D will tell, time and time again; it is not something I wish to experience again and it seems you may have grown tired of this as well as the increasing complexity of the game over time since its release.

Memorable moments have come from when a character has said or done something funny or cool, like trying to pick up a female NPC while playing the guy who blurts out absurd things due to his awkwardness and getting shot down, not from the time he rolled a crit and then rolled up 250 damage as a result. Both of these things happened on Saturday and only one of them will have me and others talking about it for years to come. Because of this, I like there to be more of a story and less of a focus on powers or abilities and ridiculous damage.

If you like the combat aspect of D&D but wish for it to be dialed back somewhat and for characters to have a little more involvement in the story of the world they inhabit, then maybe 13th Age would be the game to look at. It's designed by Jonathan Tweet and Rob Heinsoo, lead designers of D&D 3e and 4e respectively. A grid isn't required at all, miniatures and tokens still are, but only as a quick reference for three aspects of combat engagement and nothing more. The combat is much more streamlined for faster play, but while having a great feel to it; it feels overwhelming to begin with as monsters are strong and seem to have the upper hand, but the momentum swings into the players favour as the rounds go on which has a more cinematic feel and a win feels earned. There is so much more to it of course, but I could be typing for ages. The book is shipping now and pre-orders have gone nuts, it is a big deal.

A game that is quite a bit looser and played by the seat of your pants at times, where players have a lot of input into what happens is Dungeon World. The rules aren't restrictive at all and a creative player with a great imagination can really bring the game to life. I'm waiting for the book to become available again before I can purchase it and have a read, so I can't go into great detail. I do have other games similar to it that are set in different genres (apocalypse, monster hunting a la Buffy/Supernatural/X-Files, teen monster drama and a couple of others) but allow the same freedoms at the table.

Now, one that just finished on Kickstarter is Torchbearer. I received the PDF just last week and the book will shortly go to press. It was sold as a love letter to basic D&D. In Torchbearer, you have chosen the life of an adventurer for there is no other option, no inheritance, job or other opportunity awaits. You may become a hero, but you must fight for it every inch of the way and it won't be easy; but this is not what the game is about, it is about exploration and survival.

Dungeons are old and dark places that hold valuable treasures, but the way is perilous and who knows what may lie in wait. There is only so much bag space to carry the necessary resources to survive your time in the dungeon, not just conquer and loot whatever it is you may find there. Rations of food and water as well as the light of your torch will be in short supply, your time below ground is limited by the longevity of these things; how much loot you may escape with will also be determined by how much space you can spare in your backpack. Clearly this game is on the gritty side of the genre, evoking the feel of being in a dungeon with limited resources. It has a different feel, tells a different story and delivers a different experience. I like the idea of this, the fun is in the challenge and struggle of your circumstances, not inevitable triumph over whatever it may be that your encounter. A few Kobolds or Orcs should and do strike fear in the heart of an adventurer.

On Saturday, when one of the players commented on the difficulty of one of the encounters, as the GM had turned it up a bit, the response from my GM was damn funny. "OH MY GOD THEY'RE DEFENDING THEMSELVES! Isn't it better when you can't just steamroll your way through the enemies?" He's right. Although D&D is generally balanced to the PCs eventually winning, knowing you will eventually conquer your enemy can take the wind out of the sails quite a bit.

Aside from these 3 games above, there are a number of others out there that can deliver a different and unique experience to the game table. Mouse Guard and Burning Wheel use a similar system to Torchbearer and have a different focus, On Mighty Thews is all about the pulp fantasy the likes of Robert E. Howard, Savage Worlds has some cool settings that can deliver a lot of fun (though I haven't read too much into it), and many others. The selection is vast, it's all down to the experience you would like and the story you want to see unfold. Recommending or finding a system that will do this is relatively simple once this is known.

Once you step out of the fantasy genre, there are countless other games to be experienced and if you think of something you'd like, I'm sure there is a game out there that can make that happen. Want to play Ghostbusters? Done. Inception? Done. Cyberpunk, kids fighting nightmarish monsters, horror movie, pirates, dystopian dilinquent teenagers, superheroes, zombie outbreak, noir, amnesia? All doable, in my collection and there are many more.

I'm sorry this carried on so long, I had some time to kill before my doctors appointment this afternoon, but I hope there was at least a couple of things you liked or at least were partially interested in. If you want to discuss a little more in depth on mumble or something, let me know, I'm more than happy to.

I want to get some AusGAF RP happening soon and I'm well aware I've been saying that for a while, but I really do. Having some input and discussion with interested parties might help get that happening sooner. I'm looking at some new systems that I haven't played and being able to bounce things off other people would be excellent to make sure I've grasped a system properly and that at least one other person knows it. I have PDFs available to share if there are any volunteers or interested parties.

Gazunta

Danoss just wanted to say I have very little idea what you just said but I really enjoyed reading it.

A friend of mine is running one of the D&D tables at PAX so it'll probably the first time I will play it in like decades.

Jintor

My god, EVO2013 was fucking HYPE this year. Managed to catch Persona, Skullgirls, Marvel and Street Fighter and each and every one of them was amazing.

teekun

I tried to watch EVO but someone put 20c on my monitor.

Ok whoa. I don't know why I never thought about this, but are 20c pieces what arcade machines here took back in the day? I haven't been to an arcade since I left the US and it's all quarters there, obviously.

Ok whoa. I don't know why I never thought about this, but are 20c pieces what arcade machines here took back in the day? I haven't been to an arcade since I left the US and it's all quarters there, obviously.

When I was a kid they were 20c. They started going up in price pretty quickly by the mid-80's

teekun

When I was a kid they were, they started going up in price pretty quickly by the mid-80's

Did they change denominations, though? In the US the quarter is so standard that even when some games went up to $1-1.50 a play they still only ever took quarters. You just had to put in a half-dozen of them.

Here, though, 50c and gold are so common that it seems silly to not take them.

Dead Man

Did they change denominations, though? In the US the quarter is so standard that even when some games went up to $1-1.50 a play they still only ever took quarters. You just had to put in a half-dozen of them.

Here, though, 50c and gold are so common that it seems silly to not take them.

All they took back in the day was 20c coins, so they upped the price to 40c when prices went up.

Edit: Might have missed your point a bit. Yeah, they take all the coins now I think, but I'm not sure when that started. The dollar coin wasn't introduced until about 1985, so machines before then would take 50c as the largest coin I think, if the price was that high.

Truth be told, I stopped going to arcades at some point so I couldn't tell you. I know when I popped into Timezone years later for a go of House of the Dead it had become $1 coins.

Dead Man

Truth be told, I stopped going to arcades at some point so I couldn't tell you. I know when I popped into Timezone years later for a go of House of the Dead it had become $1 coins.

Yeah, I stopped going to arcades in about 1990, so anything after that is a pure guess from me. Truth be told, even the stuff before then is a bit hazy, memory is not what it used to be.

I used to love arcades, but i was (and still am) so bad at games that I would blow my money so amazingly fast that I'd have to wait ages for my brother to go through his money (damn coordinated bastard). Hence, I have an aversion to watching othr people play games like on a Let's Play, livestream or eSports.

When Super Kong or Luigi threatens to show me how it's done, I tell them to fuck off. Then i die some more and rage quit.

Dead Man

I used to love arcades, but i was (and still am) so bad at games that I would blow my money so amazingly fast that I'd have to wait ages for my brother to go through his money (damn coordinated bastard). Hence, I have an aversion to watching othr people play games like on a Let's Play, livestream or eSports.

When Super Kong or Luigi threatens to show me how it's done, I tell them to fuck off. Then i die some more and rage quit.

I feel your pain. I sucked so bad at some games that I had to save up for weeks just to play for 5 or 10 minutes.

Once we got a pc at home I gave up on arcades altogether.

teekun

All they took back in the day was 20c coins, so they upped the price to 40c when prices went up.

Edit: Might have missed your point a bit. Yeah, they take all the coins now I think, but I'm not sure when that started. The dollar coin wasn't introduced until about 1985, so machines before then would take 50c as the largest coin I think, if the price was that high.

Yeah, that's all I was wondering. Americans for some reason have refused to accept the 50c and dollar coins as common currency, so arcade machines only ever took quarters for as long as I remember.

markot

Banned
Theres nothing worser then a website where they dont tell you the price for products..... I AINT GONNA CALL OR GO TO YOUR DAMN SHOP TO CHECK!

Shaneus

trying to organise a meeting with a client for work.. this conversation just occured.

them "hows your friday?"
me "was just about to say, i'm on leave then"
them: "....PAX?"
me: "...yes..."
them: "me too."

this was a NON IT client lol.
Best client ever.

Apologies in advance for this long post. I hope some other roleplayers read it because there might be something of interest in here for them too.

If you're looking for an alternative to D&D, it will depend on what sort of experience you're looking for. The main thing would be knowing what sort of story you would like to tell and how involved your character is in the shaping of this.

The problem I have with D&D, and I've probably expressed this at length numerous times, is that it is heavily geared towards tactical combat and not much more. Roleplay can occur as much as you like outside of this, but the system won't get involved in much, if any, of it. There may be an occasional diplomacy check, nature, arcana or insight check or maybe a skill challenge, but they're not very deep or involved. The system won't really step in until one side or the other says "I don't like what you're doing and where this is going, so now I will hit you and we will fight to the death, winner gets the other person's stuff".

Many people like it, but it really becomes apparent as you reach higher levels how problematic it can be. I just played on Saturday and our characters are Level 26. One combat encounter took about 3 hours, that's right, one combat encounter. That's not fun or ideal. We've tried to streamline combat as much as possible including being up front with enemy stats so we know what is needed to hit before choosing a power ahead of time. We cannot make it any quicker without completely overhauling the combat system, and that would defeat the purpose of playing the D&D system in the first place. It's absurd, especially when calculating damage takes longer than anything else, when writing out dice totals or pulling out a calculator to tally damage is necessary, it has gone way too far; at this point its an exercise in maths class, not a game.

Of course this is the design of D&D. It is meant to tell the story of someone starting off as a lowly acolyte in their chosen field and ascending to the power of a god. The rising stats, complexity of abilities, dice pools and damage all feed into the power fantasy the game is designed to be. This is the experience and the story that D&D will tell, time and time again; it is not something I wish to experience again and it seems you may have grown tired of this as well as the increasing complexity of the game over time since its release.

Memorable moments have come from when a character has said or done something funny or cool, like trying to pick up a female NPC while playing the guy who blurts out absurd things due to his awkwardness and getting shot down, not from the time he rolled a crit and then rolled up 250 damage as a result. Both of these things happened on Saturday and only one of them will have me and others talking about it for years to come. Because of this, I like there to be more of a story and less of a focus on powers or abilities and ridiculous damage.

If you like the combat aspect of D&D but wish for it to be dialed back somewhat and for characters to have a little more involvement in the story of the world they inhabit, then maybe 13th Age would be the game to look at. It's designed by Jonathan Tweet and Rob Heinsoo, lead designers of D&D 3e and 4e respectively. A grid isn't required at all, miniatures and tokens still are, but only as a quick reference for three aspects of combat engagement and nothing more. The combat is much more streamlined for faster play, but while having a great feel to it; it feels overwhelming to begin with as monsters are strong and seem to have the upper hand, but the momentum swings into the players favour as the rounds go on which has a more cinematic feel and a win feels earned. There is so much more to it of course, but I could be typing for ages. The book is shipping now and pre-orders have gone nuts, it is a big deal.

A game that is quite a bit looser and played by the seat of your pants at times, where players have a lot of input into what happens is Dungeon World. The rules aren't restrictive at all and a creative player with a great imagination can really bring the game to life. I'm waiting for the book to become available again before I can purchase it and have a read, so I can't go into great detail. I do have other games similar to it that are set in different genres (apocalypse, monster hunting a la Buffy/Supernatural/X-Files, teen monster drama and a couple of others) but allow the same freedoms at the table.

Now, one that just finished on Kickstarter is Torchbearer. I received the PDF just last week and the book will shortly go to press. It was sold as a love letter to basic D&D. In Torchbearer, you have chosen the life of an adventurer for there is no other option, no inheritance, job or other opportunity awaits. You may become a hero, but you must fight for it every inch of the way and it won't be easy; but this is not what the game is about, it is about exploration and survival.

Dungeons are old and dark places that hold valuable treasures, but the way is perilous and who knows what may lie in wait. There is only so much bag space to carry the necessary resources to survive your time in the dungeon, not just conquer and loot whatever it is you may find there. Rations of food and water as well as the light of your torch will be in short supply, your time below ground is limited by the longevity of these things; how much loot you may escape with will also be determined by how much space you can spare in your backpack. Clearly this game is on the gritty side of the genre, evoking the feel of being in a dungeon with limited resources. It has a different feel, tells a different story and delivers a different experience. I like the idea of this, the fun is in the challenge and struggle of your circumstances, not inevitable triumph over whatever it may be that your encounter. A few Kobolds or Orcs should and do strike fear in the heart of an adventurer.

On Saturday, when one of the players commented on the difficulty of one of the encounters, as the GM had turned it up a bit, the response from my GM was damn funny. "OH MY GOD THEY'RE DEFENDING THEMSELVES! Isn't it better when you can't just steamroll your way through the enemies?" He's right. Although D&D is generally balanced to the PCs eventually winning, knowing you will eventually conquer your enemy can take the wind out of the sails quite a bit.

Aside from these 3 games above, there are a number of others out there that can deliver a different and unique experience to the game table. Mouse Guard and Burning Wheel use a similar system to Torchbearer and have a different focus, On Mighty Thews is all about the pulp fantasy the likes of Robert E. Howard, Savage Worlds has some cool settings that can deliver a lot of fun (though I haven't read too much into it), and many others. The selection is vast, it's all down to the experience you would like and the story you want to see unfold. Recommending or finding a system that will do this is relatively simple once this is known.

Once you step out of the fantasy genre, there are countless other games to be experienced and if you think of something you'd like, I'm sure there is a game out there that can make that happen. Want to play Ghostbusters? Done. Inception? Done. Cyberpunk, kids fighting nightmarish monsters, horror movie, pirates, dystopian dilinquent teenagers, superheroes, zombie outbreak, noir, amnesia? All doable, in my collection and there are many more.

I'm sorry this carried on so long, I had some time to kill before my doctors appointment this afternoon, but I hope there was at least a couple of things you liked or at least were partially interested in. If you want to discuss a little more in depth on mumble or something, let me know, I'm more than happy to.

I want to get some AusGAF RP happening soon and I'm well aware I've been saying that for a while, but I really do. Having some input and discussion with interested parties might help get that happening sooner. I'm looking at some new systems that I haven't played and being able to bounce things off other people would be excellent to make sure I've grasped a system properly and that at least one other person knows it. I have PDFs available to share if there are any volunteers or interested parties.
ADHD&D ;)

markot

Banned
Actually because they cool more, you can run the fans at much lower rpm's, especially if you have good radiators, which certainly can run a lot quieter. Talking about custom loops more so than all in ones.

MY FRIDGE DOESNT MAKE NOISE UNLESS IT DOES BUT WHY SHOULD THIS?!

Top Bottom