• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Okay question time, what would you guys do (if anything) about the stream of refugees coming to Australia by boat?
To slow/stop the stream? Fix the cause of the exodus. Long term? Help countries get good at providing shelter/food/water. Short term? Up the intake, educate potential refugees on the percentage of successful refugees, calm shit down, clamp down on people organising the boats, calm shit down, create close ties with exodus countries to avoid refugees putting their lives at risk.

legend166

I would cheat off the Greens plan, which is a pretty decent starting point.

Unless the UNHCR is overhauled and has a massive increase in funding, and unless more countries sign up to the convention, people will still make risky journeys to shitty countries because waiting for one of the 500 spots a year that the UNHCR in Indonesia allocates will be a losing game.

It won't double, I also would like a source on that 30k figure. Additionally, do you feel that they are not genuine refugees, or do you just feel they should be someone else's problem?

Source on arrivals: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/19/did-howard-solution-stop-boats

So far this year 15,610 asylum seekers have arrived in Australian waters on 220 boats.

15k in six months, so extrapolate it out to 12 months = 30k. Now the policies announced by the government might change what that figure ends up being.

My view on it is this:

I didn't really care for most of the time this debate has been going on. For most of the time it was barely anyone. I remember the stat was like "it would take 20 years of boat arrivals to fill up the MCG" or something like that. So it wasn't really on the forefront of my mind.

However, 30,000 people in one year is a lot. That's only three years to fill the MCG. That makes Fred's 2% figure wildly outdated and understated. According to this, we seem to average around 130k - 150k immigrants per year (http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/02key.htm) So that would make it more like 20-25%. I don't think that's at all sustainable. We have to house and train these people until they can get back on their own two feet. 30k is the size of a NSW country town.

I also think every effort has to be made to discourage people to get on a boat that has a pretty good chance of sinking, resulting in everyone on board dying. So I'd go back to the Howard policies, whilst simultaneously ramping up refugee intake direct from camps. We read about those horrid refugee camps on the border or places like Sudan. Why can't be bring people direct from there?

I fully concede that there's a section of the 'stop the boats' people who are yelling it purely out of misplaced xenophobia. But what annoys me is when the morons like the Greens try to paint anyone who doesn't support a carte blanche approach to refugee intake as some foaming at the mouth racist.

Fredescu

However, 30,000 people in one year is a lot.
17000 isn't "a lot"? 2000 isn't "a lot"? Why choose that as your figure for "a lot"? Shouldn't you compare it to other countries to figure out what your standard should be?

But what annoys me is when the morons like the Greens try to paint anyone who doesn't support a carte blanche approach to refugee intake as some foaming at the mouth racist.

I agree with this, most of the complaints I hear are from economic illiterates rather than out and out racists.

senahorse

It's kind of funny that if the aboriginals didn't allow "boat people" most of us wouldn't be here, it's more of a storm in a teacup situation and it disgusts me that being more right wing about it in this country gets you more votes.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
75004_550347745021878_845390211_n.jpg

this fucker got through the net!

Dead Man

Source on arrivals: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/19/did-howard-solution-stop-boats

15k in six months, so extrapolate it out to 12 months = 30k. Now the policies announced by the government might change what that figure ends up being.

My view on it is this:

I didn't really care for most of the time this debate has been going on. For most of the time it was barely anyone. I remember the stat was like "it would take 20 years of boat arrivals to fill up the MCG" or something like that. So it wasn't really on the forefront of my mind.

However, 30,000 people in one year is a lot. That's only three years to fill the MCG. That makes Fred's 2% figure wildly outdated and understated. According to this, we seem to average around 130k - 150k immigrants per year (http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/02key.htm) So that would make it more like 20-25%. I don't think that's at all sustainable. We have to house and train these people until they can get back on their own two feet. 30k is the size of a NSW country town.

I also think every effort has to be made to discourage people to get on a boat that has a pretty good chance of sinking, resulting in everyone on board dying. So I'd go back to the Howard policies, whilst simultaneously ramping up refugee intake direct from camps. We read about those horrid refugee camps on the border or places like Sudan. Why can't be bring people direct from there?

I fully concede that there's a section of the 'stop the boats' people who are yelling it purely out of misplaced xenophobia. But what annoys me is when the morons like the Greens try to paint anyone who doesn't support a carte blanche approach to refugee intake as some foaming at the mouth racist.

Thanks for the source. So, my question remains, do you think they are not legitimate refugees, or do you think they are just somebody elses problem.

Shaneus

this fucker got through the net!
Not going to lie, that delivery made me chuckle.

I'm a big proponent for getting young ones into reading. If they find it enjoyable before school forces books on them and makes it feel like a chore, then they've got a great start.

With that in mind, Book Depository has you covered.
Exactly the same. One of the first notable things I bought for him was a collection of Dr. Seuss books :) I had to hold onto it for a year and a bit (I think I bought it when he was barely two? Or 18 months or something) but he loves it and not long afterwards I was visiting my sister & co. and got to read it to him in bed <3
The next birthday or Christmas or whatever, he scored a Dr. Seuss activity pack which had something like colouring books and a giant puzzle that I helped him with (I helped him with his first jigsaw!). There's been a smattering of DVDs and such, but I try and avoid those.
Went for a walk at lunch today anyway, and managed to find a big, fuckoff-massive Where's Wally book that was discounted to $10, so even though it's not *technically* reading, it's better than a DVD or some toy that he'll barely use. Having said that, a long time ago I bought The Emperor's New Groove for myself but never unwrapped it, so he'll be getting that too (hoping he'll let me watch it with him). Oh, and a squishy Angry Bird toy or something. Found a Scooby Doo talking card though, so at least there's that.

I should stop, clearly I'm too excited about doting on my eldest nephew.

Shaneus

Two things:

1) Anyone want a copy of P4G? After chatting with a few people, I realised that while it may be an awesome game, it's not awesome for ADHD people with an inherently impatient nature despite medication. I think it's a US copy (or possibly JAP) but obviously everything still works fine with it. Not sure what I paid for it either, so make me a (reasonable) offer.

2) Why didn't anyone tell me about this? It probably has a similar style of gameplay to P4G, but the Namco/Sega/Capcom 3x combo is intriguing.
Edit: Wait, it's 3DS only? Scratch that, then.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Two things:

1) Anyone want a copy of P4G? After chatting with a few people, I realised that while it may be an awesome game, it's not awesome for ADHD people with an inherently impatient nature despite medication. I think it's a US copy (or possibly JAP) but obviously everything still works fine with it. Not sure what I paid for it either, so make me a (reasonable) offer.

2) Why didn't anyone tell me about this? It probably has a similar style of gameplay to P4G, but the Namco/Sega/Capcom 3x combo is intriguing.
Edit: Wait, it's 3DS only? Scratch that, then.

jint can tell you about 2!

also

this is hilarious: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...etriou-tipped-off-bombers-20130725-2qkt2.html

I like to imagine demetriou calling evans "hey mate, you alone?" *muffled laughted heard in the background* "yeah mate just me"

jambo

Books, dice, pencils, bad skin, greasy hair.

Edit: The last two may not be needed, but they seemed to be when I was PnP roleplaying.

I found a store in the CBD that sells a lot of the books so I'm going to grab the basics at some point and then we'll give it a bash. Main issue is none of us have played before so someone will have to wing their way through DMing...

Random stuff since I CBF quoting:

- Rodrick's in Southland will (or used to) let you design your own jewelry.
- Tiffany's in Australia is a crazy ripoff (2-3x US prices). Don't shop there.
- I think that 'quadro' reply wasn't for me?
- Canada has less than double our population and has around 100k refugees a year. Maybe we should look at what they do.
- Buy kids things that are fun for a little while and piss off their parents once you leave.
- Milsims are OK during a sale but a bit slow, you have to keep on top of them.
- Germany has a shit healthcare system.
- Going to Heidelberg today.

I didn't realise anyone besides Liberal parliamentarians and maybe western sydney residers actually believed John Howard stopped the boats!

Okay question time, what would you guys do (if anything) about the stream of refugees coming to Australia by boat?

Process them locally, no detention. Short period of quarantine for health reasons or whatever else. Place them in rural and remote areas until their asylum is granted. Increase Australia's humanitarian intake. Increase the level of co-operation with our regional neighbours on this issue. Once we remove the abhorrent expense of mandatory detention and offshore processing we can increase expenditure related to naval and border shit (probably have to subsidize Indonesia's too) minimizing deaths.

That's a poor source when she doesn't cite its origin.

I also think every effort has to be made to discourage people to get on a boat that has a pretty good chance of sinking, resulting in everyone on board dying. So I'd go back to the Howard policies, whilst simultaneously ramping up refugee intake direct from camps.

Ahhh, good times. Those were the golden years weren't they? Children overboard, people sabotaging boats to avoid being turned back, Australian Navy personnel and refugees risking their lives alike. I can definitely see why we should go back.

Danoss

Mates and I want to attempt a weekly D&D session.

What do we need to get started? Stuff like books, dice, char sheets?

Thanks in advance.

No matter what roleplaying game you and your mates get into, you don't want there to be a shortage of dice, pencils, erasers and scrap paper or notepads. I don't need to tell you where to pick up basic stationary, but dice may be another story altogether.

For many, dice are a very personal thing and they may want to see a set of dice in person before forking out money for them. I'm not fussed in this regard and buy all of my dice online from the Dice Shop in the UK. If you and your mates want to go in on an order together, you can save on some shipping costs. Grab 2 or 3 of the 7 dice polysets each and maybe a dice bag, or just use a tupperware container, jar or small tin. If not, grab a big bag of dice (about 100) for everyone to share and use here from Defiant Gaming in Canberra; or you can buy all your dice there if you don't want to wait.

I deleted a massive thing here about dice brands and whatnot, because I realised it's largely irrelevant. I will say that it is worthwhile picking up dice that don't have severely rounded edges; if you avoid these, you'll be happy with your purchase.

As for D&D itself, I wouldn't recommend go down that path if you're all just starting out. The next version of D&D (called 'D&D Next') is currently being designed and tested. Support for the current version will be ditched upon its release. 13th Age is just about to come out, and by that I mean my pre-order shipped out at the start of this week. 13th Age is designed and written by the lead designers of D&D 3rd Edition and D&D 4th Edition (the one that'll be in the shop you found). It is more streamlined and straightforward than D&D is, since it's not bogged down in minutiae. It is the game D&D Next wishes it could be.

One thing that's been done is they've specifically designed the way monsters and combat works to make it easy to run. The GM can actually design an encounter on the fly in 13th Age if they want or need to, they do not need to forgo adding a bit of flavour to certain monsters and the overall encounter since that has been baked in as well. Try doing this in D&D 4e at the game table and the GMs brain will explode, preceded by a tornado of tears, but probably not before everyone has left because they had to wait too long. Combat is also very quick, cinematic whilst still being enjoyable. I'll contrast that with my last session of D&D 4e where the combat took over 3 hours; this is not quick, cinematic, nor enjoyable and it is standard fare for D&D combat, it is definitely not an outlier. This puts extra strain on the GM who has to prepare a lot of stuff ahead of time. Both games benefit from some preparation, 13th Age is just far more efficient.

13th Age has a lower cost to entry as well, since that have ditched the standard 3-book release. With D&D 4e you will at least need to start with the Dungeon Master's Guide, Player's Handbook and Monster Manual to have the complete basic game. All these books have been rolled into one for 13th Age and you will get the PDF for no extra charge, so I think it's a better buy in more ways than one.

I don't want to deter you from roleplaying in any way at all with what I have written above. More roleplayers is a good thing and what grabs people is that their first time is an enjoyable time that they would like to repeat. I think you and your mates are more likely to have a better time with 13th Age than you would with the current edition of D&D, while still getting the experience you would expect. You won't be missing out on anything, it will still feel like D&D, especially since it is designed by the same people.

I'm sure I've gone into far more detail than you care to know. When you combine me with something I find interesting and time to spare, you get trouble. I may have also laboured some points to death, but I have tried to lay down some good reasons why I think or feel that way and I hope they didn't come across as abrasive. Of course, you're free to choose and play whatever you like, that's completely your choice as well as your friends'.

The Star Wars RPG instead.

Nah I don't know, but the Star Wars one is fun.

The newly released Edge of the Empire or the older Star Wars Saga (d6) Edition? I'm assuming the latter. I believe Saga Edition was the precursor to D&D 4e and is partially responsible for how that turned out (my thoughts on this are well documented).

Neither of them are appealing to me, but Edge of the Empire seems a bit more conducive to crafting a story at the table rather than people jumping through GM hoops. I think it might even be possible to play out a more mundane story in the Star Wars universe, rather than it being all big action/high drama all the time. Custom dice are annoying and that in itself quite a turnoff; dice apps are an option, but where's the fun in that?

Exactly the same. One of the first notable things I bought for him was a collection of Dr. Seuss books :) I had to hold onto it for a year and a bit (I think I bought it when he was barely two? Or 18 months or something) but he loves it and not long afterwards I was visiting my sister & co. and got to read it to him in bed <3
The next birthday or Christmas or whatever, he scored a Dr. Seuss activity pack which had something like colouring books and a giant puzzle that I helped him with (I helped him with his first jigsaw!). There's been a smattering of DVDs and such, but I try and avoid those.
Went for a walk at lunch today anyway, and managed to find a big, fuckoff-massive Where's Wally book that was discounted to $10, so even though it's not *technically* reading, it's better than a DVD or some toy that he'll barely use. Having said that, a long time ago I bought The Emperor's New Groove for myself but never unwrapped it, so he'll be getting that too (hoping he'll let me watch it with him). Oh, and a squishy Angry Bird toy or something. Found a Scooby Doo talking card though, so at least there's that.

I should stop, clearly I'm too excited about doting on my eldest nephew.

That's awesome man! I was the same with my mates son, it's hard not to get excited and spoil them just a little. I started him out with Richard Scarry, which turned out well because he was really into cars and bikes and other cool vehicles so Cars and Trucks and Things That Go was a real hit.

I've been a reader since before I can remember much of anything and I loved Where's Wally and colouring books. It can't be all reading all the time, it's nice to just have a change of pace; he'll love it. If it's creative or exercises the brain or imagination in an enjoyable way, then I'm all for it.

Shaneus

That's awesome man! I was the same with my mates son, it's hard not to get excited and spoil them just a little. I started him out with Richard Scarry, which turned out well because he was really into cars and bikes and other cool vehicles so Cars and Trucks and Things That Go was a real hit.

I've been a reader since before I can remember much of anything and I loved Where's Wally and colouring books. It can't be all reading all the time, it's nice to just have a change of pace; he'll love it. If it's creative or exercises the brain or imagination in an enjoyable way, then I'm all for it.
Used to love Richard Scarry! I even remember one of his books where there was a cut-out finger-puppet theatre or something. I think there was a snakes and ladders game around, too.

I remember I used to love reading as well but these days it just feels like it takes too much damn effort to remember anything. Maybe I need to get into junior fiction or something.

On the book/creative thing, I'm just trying to make sure that there's nothing violent and staying away from digital stuff as much as possible. I've seen him get hooked on iPads and kiddie PC flash games and I want to prevent that where I can. Thankfully, he's into Lego so I guess that's a good sign. Let's just hope he doesn't see the Lego games ;)

Bernbaum

It looks like they were at a booth for a different game.

Also I already backed it for the digital copy tier. I look forward to persuadatroning NPC Bernbaum and using him as a meat shield.

If I can somehow convince them that my real name is AGYAR'S FAT MUM then I thoroughly look forward to 'accidentally' sniping out AGYAR'S FAT MUM.

-

Satellite Reign got funded. Hooray for them.

Danoss

Used to love Richard Scarry! I even remember one of his books where there was a cut-out finger-puppet theatre or something. I think there was a snakes and ladders game around, too.

I remember I used to love reading as well but these days it just feels like it takes too much damn effort to remember anything. Maybe I need to get into junior fiction or something.

On the book/creative thing, I'm just trying to make sure that there's nothing violent and staying away from digital stuff as much as possible. I've seen him get hooked on iPads and kiddie PC flash games and I want to prevent that where I can. Thankfully, he's into Lego so I guess that's a good sign. Let's just hope he doesn't see the Lego games ;)

Scarry, Seuss and Golden Books dominated a lot of my young reading days. I'm so glad they're still going strong.

If you get stuck into an enjoyable story, I'm sure you'll have no problem remembering the details. If you leave it too long, some details may fade or disappear, but I put down Let the Right One In in February and picked it back up in June and had no issues recalling what had transpired.

If you want to get back into reading, Young Adult fiction might be a good place to start. It's easy to read, doesn't take long to get going and once you start you won't want to stop. I'm not saying this to be mean at all, I quite enjoy YA fiction as do many people. I smashed through Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games trilogy and I have His Dark Materials trilogy, Ship Breaker and The Book Thief on my my stacks of books to read.

Narnia, The Magic Faraway Tree Collection and The Wishing Chair Collection are all books I want to re-read, I bought them again just so I could. When your nephew is a little older (maybe 7 or 8) I think he'd definitely like those last two series. I thoroughly enjoyed them at that age, they really get the imagination going and would recommend them to every parent.

I like where you're going with your nephew, it's excellent! There's no escaping games, television and movies, but I think they're less likely to be consumed by them as long as other options excite them. I just think back to my own childhood where the same things were available (in more primitive forms) and yet it didn't hinder the enjoyment of a wide variety of other activities, both inside and out.

I'm thinking there I must have gotten something lodged in there or something, like, under the eyelid.

Maybe a saline eyewash might provide some relief? Your local pharmacy should have something. It definitely can't hurt. There is the warm saline compress I mentioned earlier which might help too, dried pus or lymph could be one of the culprits. Either way, I hope it eases for you soon.

Shaneus

Narnia, The Magic Faraway Tree Collection and The Wishing Chair Collection are all books I want to re-read, I bought them again just so I could. When your nephew is a little older (maybe 7 or 8) I think he'd definitely like those last two series. I thoroughly enjoyed them at that age, they really get the imagination going and would recommend them to every parent.
The latter two I remember reading (or had them read to me?) in primary school. Dem golliwogs.

I like where you're going with your nephew, it's excellent! There's no escaping games, television and movies, but I think they're less likely to be consumed by them as long as other options excite them. I just think back to my own childhood where the same things were available (in more primitive forms) and yet it didn't hinder the enjoyment of a wide variety of other activities, both inside and out.
It damn-well sucks. I don't have any confidence in having or raising my own kids, but I have some very specific ideals that I believe any children I know should follow and be raised by.
As far as that tech being available as kids, I think it definitely hindered me somewhat. Not necessarily massively, but I remember long hours playing the MD and PC when I could well have been outside. But I think I took solace in books just as much. Just hoping to nip it in the bud especially now it's even easier to get access to them. I understand the whole TV = babysitter thing, but I just don't like it.
MAYDAY_WIDE_IMAGE_I0369417_229100.JPG

It's the one on the right who's 5 on Saturday. <3

Jintor

Maybe a saline eyewash might provide some relief? Your local pharmacy should have something. It definitely can't hurt. There is the warm saline compress I mentioned earlier which might help too, dried pus or lymph could be one of the culprits. Either way, I hope it eases for you soon.

Might give the tea remedy a shot, if I can find any pure leaves in the house... cheers for that, by the way. I appreciate it.

Danoss

The latter two I remember reading (or had them read to me?) in primary school. Dem golliwogs.

I had them read to me by my Aunty before bedtime each night. It was wonderful. I don't remember nearly enough of them, so they deserve the re-read.

It damn-well sucks. I don't have any confidence in having or raising my own kids, but I have some very specific ideals that I believe any children I know should follow and be raised by.
As far as that tech being available as kids, I think it definitely hindered me somewhat. Not necessarily massively, but I remember long hours playing the MD and PC when I could well have been outside. But I think I took solace in books just as much. Just hoping to nip it in the bud especially now it's even easier to get access to them. I understand the whole TV = babysitter thing, but I just don't like it.
MAYDAY_WIDE_IMAGE_I0369417_229100.JPG

It's the one on the right who's 5 on Saturday. <3

How strange, I'm exactly the same. I have no desire to have children of my own, but I do want the best for the children of others I know.

Tech was bad for us as ADHD sufferers, the worst kind of distraction and often our greatest enemy. The 'hyper-focus' that people refer to, often as a positive to my amazement, is responsible for that. Those that see it as a positive say it's great because we can focus completely on one task while other things pass us by. I heard it best described as 'an inability to stop what you are doing, long after you should have'.

I, too, understand the TV = babysitter thing that happens and I do not like it either. The child is exposed to new information, some of which they may have questions about. If no one is present to answer the question or guide them to find it on their own, then they're left to their own interpretation or the one that was presented to them on TV, and these may be wrong or harmful in one way or another. Parents may say that it's different when it's your child and if I had one I would know. I'm sure they'd be right. I still don't have to like it.

I remember when you posted that pic originally and how proud you were.

Thought this was going to be a Bernbaum thread. I still read it in your voice anyway man.

I love Daria.
I love Aubrey Plaza.

But this doesn't work. And it makes me sad.

And hurt inside. How could it not work :(

I understand the whole TV = babysitter thing, but I just don't like it.
Man I still don't get it. Never worked with my son. I assume it is an age thing, once he hits 5 or something his attention span will develop enough that he will stay glued to it but at the moment he seriously jumps from his Leapster to his Storio to the TV to the trains to the books to the drawing/craft table to the cat to the trucks back to the Leapster back to the books etc constantly. Really the only thing that he gets glued to on TV is Peppa Pig, and that only lasts for like 5 minutes max! Even then he can be coaxed away from it quite easily with food or more food. Heh.

I have no desire to have children of my own, but I do want the best for the children of others I know.
Hey, that's called being a decent human being! Kids are innocent little shits, and the future of our planet, so we want them to be raised as best as possible. Otherwise who will pay for our pensions? The democrats? Pffft! Fat chance!

I love Daria.
I love Aubrey Plaza.

I thought it mostly hit the mark. The jokes were on point, it had most of the right personality/attitude. Couple of performances are maybe a tad off (including Plaza's delivery, just slightly) but I dunno, maybe I was just sold on the concept/writing enough that I overlooked the issues.

"High school was like the Civil War: it lasted four years, you were defined by what you wore and I lost one in ten of my friends to gangrene. That last part isn't true, but a girl can dream, can't she?"

and

"I never thought I'd come back here, Jane."
"I knew I would, but I assumed it'd be for a funeral."

are such perfect Daria lines.

Shaneus

Tech was bad for us as ADHD sufferers, the worst kind of distraction and often our greatest enemy. The 'hyper-focus' that people refer to, often as a positive to my amazement, is responsible for that. Those that see it as a positive say it's great because we can focus completely on one task while other things pass us by. I heard it best described as 'an inability to stop what you are doing, long after you should have'.
Still is. Falls back to that loop/spiral we keep referring to. Funny how it keeps popping up in all sorts of different aspects and behaviours eh? ;) Secret for us is to stop it before it develops. I'm still shithouse at it, resulting in consistent nights where I'm not getting enough sleep ergo not thinking straight for the majority of the following day :/

I, too, understand the TV = babysitter thing that happens and I do not like it either. The child is exposed to new information, some of which they may have questions about. If no one is present to answer the question or guide them to find it on their own, then they're left to their own interpretation or the one that was presented to them on TV, and these may be wrong or harmful in one way or another. Parents may say that it's different when it's your child and if I had one I would know. I'm sure they'd be right. I still don't have to like it.
It's consuming information rather than interacting and learning from it. It's the same reason I don't like and in most cases am simply unable to just sit down and watch a TV show or movie, it always has to be in the background or something else has to be on my plate to be able to take it in. Sometimes I'll get glued to it, but I can't sit and watch anything. I think if kids get into the habit of that early, they'll grow up with this subconscious expectation that the only way to learn is by sitting and watching rather than participating and experiencing. I know that even today, I have trouble learning how to do anything (shit, even learning ABOUT anything) unless I can fuck around with it myself and establish how my own brain interprets it's way around whatever it is rather than someone else's (because frequently, how someone else describes/instructs something is drastically different from myself).
Probably also why I'm drawn to games that do a good job of integrating what's happening on the screen with an appropriate audio scape. It's one thing to play CoD and have explosions and shit (where the sound just matches what's happening onscreen), but it's another to have graphics and sound interact, play and merge with each other to the point where it amplifies the experience (see: Rez, Lumines, Tempest 2000/Space Giraffe) rather than just compliment it. One is showing you it's world from a perspective, the other is pulling you in and making you an integral part of it.

Fuck me, that was a ramble.

Man I still don't get it. Never worked with my son. I assume it is an age thing, once he hits 5 or something his attention span will develop enough that he will stay glued to it but at the moment he seriously jumps from his Leapster to his Storio to the TV to the trains to the books to the drawing/craft table to the cat to the trucks back to the Leapster back to the books etc constantly. Really the only thing that he gets glued to on TV is Peppa Pig, and that only lasts for like 5 minutes max! Even then he can be coaxed away from it quite easily with food or more food. Heh.
When I say I get it, I mean... um... I get how parents can just need a break and kids will watch it. But hey, there's every chance your kid has ADHD as well. Just because he's not a tantrum-throwing, annoying little shitstain (as most current affairs shows would have you believe) doesn't mean he doesn't have it. Maybe keep it in mind, because I know for sure it's not *just* an age thing. Mitchell can be glued to the portable DVD player or iPad for hours and he's only turning 5 on Saturday... and he's been like that for at least a year and a half.

I remember when you posted that pic originally and how proud you were.
:D

I love Daria.
I love Aubrey Plaza.

I've never watched a full episode of Daria, but I kind of agree, I think she was playing it far too deadpan. At least, it seemed that way.

I've never watched a full episode of Daria, but I kind of agree, I think she was playing it far too deadpan. At least, it seemed that way.

Daria's a pretty deadpan role. There are occasional moments of different intonation in the show, but I think pretty much everything in the video would've been played the same way.

FUCKING PUS TIME
D158BiT.png

Uhh here is a cheap skate deck, $35 posted. I like Element stuff lol
Cheap cheap but decent 7 inch Tablet for $69 at JB Hifi

ALSO DEADLY PREM GOT GREENLIT ALREADY! THROW YOUR COFFEE IN THE AIR YO!
Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut on PC includes new features over and above the original game, plus additional content not seen in the PS3 Director's Cut release:
  • A surprising new scenario from the game’s director, Hidetaka ‘Swery’ Suehiro
  • Enhanced HD graphics with new textures
  • Reworked control system allowing for an even better combat experience
  • Downloadable content to expand the mystery beyond the original game
  • New bonus DLC exclusive to the PC version!
And exclusive to the Steam version, earn achievements and collect Steam Trading Cards – complete the whole set before the Raincoat Killer gets you!
MY WALLET ACHES FOR THE MARKET

When I say I get it, I mean... um... I get how parents can just need a break and kids will watch it. But hey, there's every chance your kid has ADHD as well. Just because he's not a tantrum-throwing, annoying little shitstain (as most current affairs shows would have you believe) doesn't mean he doesn't have it.
Whose saying he's not! ;)

Maybe keep it in mind, because I know for sure it's not *just* an age thing. Mitchell can be glued to the portable DVD player or iPad for hours and he's only turning 5 on Saturday... and he's been like that for at least a year and a half.
Yeah Oli can be glued to the Leapster for longer than the wife is comfortable with but he is more than happy to be distracted onto another item of interest if we want to give him a break.

I get what you mean now by the TV thing. We are pretty conscious of that too, he can go a day without watching it without realising it thankfully at this point. He has started picking up PC stuff now too, the other day I was idling in Scribblenauts Unlimited and came in to find him halfway through a level lol
That game is irritating as shit to move the dude around in so I was impressed he picked it up without audible grumbling lol

ANYWAY

What I meant to say earlier is that books are awesome as fuck. All kids love books. Shower those fuckers in books. Make it rain books. The more the merrier. I need to buy some more. eBay is awesome for picking up books, sometimes even cheaper than BookDepo. Make sure to price check!

Well unexpectedly everyone showed up for suit shopping for a mates wedding and everything has been purchased. Suits look nice enough for want we paid. Renting was ridiculous money for what you got.

Top Bottom