• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

IT Enquiry report is out

reccomendations

-Ban geoblocks
-Remove all restrictions on grey importing for retailers
-Run advertising campaign to show how to use geoblocks to get cheap prices
-Government must not deal with companies that are employing geoblocks

and this

-INTRODUCTION OF A RIGHT OF RESALE FOR CONSUMERS WITH ALL DIGITAL CONTENT (steam and valve could be fuuuuuuuuuuucked)

-ABS to track pricing
-Parralel importation laws to be looked at and potentially repealed
-REGION LOCKING BANNED

seems if you fuck with teh gvt they fuck you back.

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary...mmittees?url=ic/itpricing/report.htm#chapters

Omikron

Hopefully Germany and Australia will lead the push towards better consumer rights for digital content.

Not really steam alone here though, PSN/Nintedo/Xbox/Origin etc etc all have purchases locked to an account.

Either way, those are all positive recommendations from my perspective.

I've got an Xperia Z and it's pretty sweet. They can be bought outright for a bit cheaper than the other top phones.

If I had free choice, I'd probably go for a HTC One.

Any reason that the HTC One is the pick of the bunch for you? Any new phones expected to be released in September/October, that's about when I'll be ready to upgrade.

How is that any sort of justification?
If you use a quote you remove any form of responsibility for the weight that those words have. They didn't say it someone else did. Dude, everyone knows that. Anyway, I hope you die a horrible, horrible death.

That's a quote, by the way, from... a... book... or a movie. If not, then a televisual show. Look, someone, somewhere said those exact words in a thing that's popular with people.

In closing, I've absolved myself and therefore cannot be made, or make myself feel bad about what I... I mean, someone else said that I've repeated.

jambo

Not really steam alone here though, PSN/Nintedo/Xbox/Origin etc etc all have purchases locked to an account.

Either way, those are all positive recommendations from my perspective.

I meant in general. CCat was the one who mentioned Steam.

I have a bunch of albums on iTunes that I no longer listen to. Being able to trade them in or sell them for a discounted price like I would a physical copy would be great.

Dead Man

IT Enquiry report is out

reccomendations

-Ban geoblocks

and this

-INTRODUCTION OF A RIGHT OF RESALE FOR CONSUMERS WITH ALL DIGITAL CONTENT (steam and valve could be fuuuuuuuuuuucked)

-ABS to track pricing
-REGION LOCKING BANNED

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary...mmittees?url=ic/itpricing/report.htm#chapters
Too awesome for this world, won't happen.

Any reason that the HTC One is the pick of the bunch for you? Any new phones expected to be released in September/October, that's about when I'll be ready to upgrade.

It seems like it has all of the functionality of a Galaxy S4 with better build quality. I like the way it looks/feels compared to the others, and all of the tech sites gave it a good wrap.

There's a new Nexus 7 coming out soon with wireless charging, which is pretty spiffy. Don't know what else is on the horizon.

Recommendations would have no bearing on Steam anyway as Valve has no business presence in Australia. Same way current refund laws don't apply to them.

Correct and somewhat incorrect.

Valve would have to stop local AU publishers jacking the prices up just for Australia

if they can block banned games here and do so then they can sure as fuck comply with this law.

can't have your cake and eat it to. You want to do the 'oh we aren't in australia thing' allow australians to buy banned games..... end of story. You can buy banned games from amazon for example, ergo amazon isn't in aus (actually aws is but yeah...) but if you are complying with a law elsewhere, go fuck yourself you can comply.

So they may not have a prescence in aus but they act as if they do. Using local classification logos etc. Therefore they could still have an issue. The internet removes borders and this is something Governments will struggle with for ages as will businesses

IF not, you clearly can comply with a countries law, and will do so. Germany is also having a go at steam about this.

I concur this is more likely to have an effect on PS4/One though

Some douchbag mod wrote a pretty awesome writeup on Killzone Vita. Y'all should read it.

PLEASE DONT BAN ME

Probably been discussed before but what mobile provider does AusGAF use? What is your plan, reception, area you live in etc? I came off contract in Dec last year and I just didn't bother resigning for a new phone, so I still have my old iPhone 4. I've been with Optus for those two years and I must say the reception where I live (rural area on the central coast) is abysmal. It costs $59 a month, with like $600 value (lol) and 2gb of data.

So I just decided to switch it up, I wanted Telstra's superior coverage but without the price tag, so I got one of those boost mobile starter kits a few days ago. I must say I'm pretty impressed. They use Telstra's full 3G/Next G network (not LTE though) and it's only $40 or 30days of service, which includes unlimited talk/text and 3gb of data.

So now the problem is, I'll be looking to get a new phone in the next few months (some suggestions would be great), but then I'm going to buy it outright... Are there any decent plans on offer that don't break the budget?
We are on/going with Aldi pre-paid SIM cards. On the Telstra 3G network, $35 a month for unlimited calls/sms/mms/data etc.

Galaxy S4
HTC One
Google Nexus 4
Sony Xperia Z
Yup. Pretty sure the Xperia Z was under $500 somewhere recently.

-REGION LOCKING BANNED/QUOTE]
Oh hey see that Ninty? Maybe I can start picking up some WiiU bargains FFS

Won't happen any time soon.

Thing is traditionally this is something the LNP would be against so it will be quite interesting to see their response

How Tony can spin blocking everything and jacking prices up positively, we will have to see

because lol good fuckin luck

same to google etc who will try and run an ad campaign ala the miners. Again good luck

jambo

http://games.on.net/2013/07/love-paradox-games-join-us-at-the-paradox-community-event-next-week/

paradoxgon.jpg

Love Magicka or Mount & Blade? Love War of the Roses? What about Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis or The Showdown Effect? Well you’re in luck, because Paradox Interactive are coming to Sydney, Australia next week on Wednesday 7 August — and they’ve asked us to come along and bring some community members.

As Australia’s biggest PC gaming site, we’ve been given exclusive access to get our awesome (and very handsome) community members into the event to chat to the developers, play some games, and even see the reveal of an all-new, unannounced title. Very cool.

Numbers are limited so if you’re interested, leave a comment below saying that you’d like to come along and we’ll try and reserve a spot for you.

You need to be able to get to Sydney’s CBD on Wednesday 7 August. The event starts around 6:30 PM.

Don’t miss out! This offer is only open to the games.on.net community (for now). It’s completely free, you just need to register your interest below and I’ll get in touch with you via PM once we have confirmation.

Kinda cool for Sydneysiders.

davidnic

Galaxy S4
HTC One
Google Nexus 4
Sony Xperia Z
Nokia Lumia 1020 (WP8, but still awesome)

Probably have to go HTC One or Google Nexus 4. I seen the outright price in a Telstra shop of the HTC One it was $596 that is awesome for what it is.

I have a Sony Xperia is awesome and tough\ waterproof.

Coalition just lost every Holden employees vote

top job tony

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/29/tony-abbott-refuses-holden-handouts?CMP=soc_568

he says its better to support a tax rort than support the company. Also says Howard had cars doing fine

Two things

1. GFC
2. Labor instituted the 20% FBT write off not Howard so Howard did fuck all around that measure.

Fuckin sick of the LNP ignoring the GFC. The country would be dead if they were in power then because they wouldn't have done the stimulus, they would have done fuck all and we would be rather much worse off.

The change imposed by Labor requires people claiming future FBT concessions to keep records to prove they are using their vehicles for business purposes, not private use.

someone please explain to me why thats unfair and bad? Fuck sake Australia WAKE UP TO YOURSELVES for once

whinging, wanting it all, on 200k and battlers

no get fucked. This entitlement mentality needs to fucking stop. If you are on 200k a year you are not fucking poor.

What made you poor was the mcmansion you purchased for grossly inflated prices when a smaller house would have done just fine.

and for that matter if you have a negatively geared property

you are the opposite of battler

you have a fucking INVESTMENT PROPERTY FOR FUCK SAKE

Ventron

The change imposed by Labor requires people claiming future FBT concessions to keep records to prove they are using their vehicles for business purposes, not private use.

someone please explain to me why thats unfair and bad? Fuck sake Australia WAKE UP TO YOURSELVES for once

whinging, wanting it all, on 200k and battlers

no get fucked. This entitlement mentality needs to fucking stop. If you are on 200k a year you are not fucking poor.

What made you poor was the mcmansion you purchased for grossly inflated prices when a smaller house would have done just fine.

Interesting name for your alt account, Choc.

Ydahs

Probably been discussed before but what mobile provider does AusGAF use? What is your plan, reception, area you live in etc? I came off contract in Dec last year and I just didn't bother resigning for a new phone, so I still have my old iPhone 4. I've been with Optus for those two years and I must say the reception where I live (rural area on the central coast) is abysmal. It costs $59 a month, with like $600 value (lol) and 2gb of data.

So I just decided to switch it up, I wanted Telstra's superior coverage but without the price tag, so I got one of those boost mobile starter kits a few days ago. I must say I'm pretty impressed. They use Telstra's full 3G/Next G network (not LTE though) and it's only $40 or 30days of service, which includes unlimited talk/text and 3gb of data.

So now the problem is, I'll be looking to get a new phone in the next few months (some suggestions would be great), but then I'm going to buy it outright... Are there any decent plans on offer that don't break the budget?

Just signed a month-to-month contract with Optus. It's the BYO phone $25 plan. Reception is not a problem, but of course that depends on the area.

I only have 200MB of data, which is pretty bad, so I can eventually see myself switching over to Vodafone which offer much better value. Their reception was once sketchy, but apparently it's improved in recent years.

Regarding phones, I bought a Nexus 4 a bit over a month ago for ~$400, loving it so far. Performance is top notch and since it's a Google phone, it's guaranteed to be well supported and receive the latest Android updates on time. Decent battery life as well. It's a mid to high-range phone with a budget price, so it's definitely worth checking out or waiting for the inevitable revision.

Shaneus

IT Enquiry report is out

reccomendations

-Ban geoblocks

and this

-ABS to track pricing
-REGION LOCKING BANNED

Is that you?

Don't forget to take your graphic calculators and protractors!
What do we need a protractor for? We don't have a farm.

IT Enquiry report is out

reccomendations

-Ban geoblocks

and this

-ABS to track pricing
-REGION LOCKING BANNED

If any of that actually gets put into practice I'll be impressed.

Coalition just lost every Holden employees vote

top job tony

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/29/tony-abbott-refuses-holden-handouts?CMP=soc_568

he says its better to support a tax rort than support the company. Also says Howard had cars doing fine

Two things

1. GFC
2. Labor instituted the 20% FBT write off not Howard so Howard did fuck all around that measure.

Fuckin sick of the LNP ignoring the GFC. The country would be dead if they were in power then because they wouldn't have done the stimulus, they would have done fuck all and we would be rather much worse off.

I don't normally get involved in politics on the web but where do you think the surplus came from for labour to spend up big during the GFC? That's right Liberal savings.

Voting in this country is so predictable; Liberals voted in to put country out of red back into black, the moment things get back on track Labour is voted in to spend the money. Rinse then repeat for eternity. When can we vote in and keep in power the party that actually keeps the country in the black?

Further in recent handouts, if the latest one is successful, equates to over $500Mil in govt. handouts for Holden. Just in recent times. Personally as a private company owner and literally dealing with hundreds of small/medium business owners each year (web dev) I know where I'd rather the govt spent half a billion. Directly into Aussie small businesses, imagine $1mil handouts for 200 businesses instead of the latest $200mil handout to Holden...which one would promote more jobs? What if one of those 200 investments turned into the next Twitter? You get the idea. How long must our govt. payout to private industries that fail? We're now a services nation, let us act like one.

$500Mil could create our Silicon Valley or a games industry destination for developers or you know actually put the NBN on track into our businesses and homes.

Top Bottom