• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Between Saints Row III and Sleeping Dogs, which game is the right choice?

Depends if you want humour or something slightly more serious. Saints Row has a terrible story and is just flat out stupid fun. Sleeping Dogs is amazing all the way through.

I would vote SD but I enjoyed both.

Depends on if you want a dumb, fun game (Saints) or a serious, fun game (Sleepys).

Personally, out of the two I played Saints way more and enjoyed my time with it. The Sleepys was a shorter lived, more serious but still enjoyable time.

What mood are you in?

Dead Man

Depends on if you want a dumb, fun game (Saints) or a serious, fun game (Sleepys).

Personally, out of the two I played Saints way more and enjoyed my time with it. The Sleepys was a shorter lived, more serious but still enjoyable time.

What mood are you in?

Exactly the correct answer.

I find myself thinking less of SR3 as a game as time goes on. It was fun at the time but not on the same level as I expect of the series. Hoping SR5 is the step up I'm looking for.

Saints Row constantly has wondering how the hell they're going to top that last bit because it was already batshit insane five missions ago.

Sleeping Dogs blew most of its load 1/3 in but the hand to hand combat and Hong Kong flick feel was good fun.

Both are decent (no better IMO) but I preferred Saints because it was just so dumb. Played about 1/3 co-op which was alright.

7K8bW.jpg

In other news, the Australian has started doing a daily boat people arrivals tally. My eyes could not possibly roll further back.

So now game 'journalists' are going to call out developers who don't give them snappy quotes to edit into their rumour reblogging? How low will the media go? And they say gamers are the entitled ones?

Also Sleepy had really strong first and last thirds whereas SR3 blew its load for me early. Once I had gotten the first big safehouse in SR3 it never really hit those peaks again whereas the endgame of Sleepy was blood pumping stuff. Year of the Dragon touched on that feel for me again which was nice.

Sleepy 2 needs to be a huge step up in quantity though, like GTA5 looks to be.
And SR2 was from the first Saints Row before they cut everything back again for SR3

Between Saints Row III and Sleeping Dogs, which game is the right choice?

Argh. Hard choice. Both are great for different reasons - Sleepy Dawgs for it basically becoming a fantastic open world ode to HK action films, and Saints Row for being fucking insane.

I found myself really digging Sleepy Dawgs more than SR3, more so because of the combat and some of the stuff you do. That and SR3 decides to do some shit that really doesn't make any sense, even for THAT game.

Also check out some LTTP threads on Sleepy Dogs if you want some more info/GIF's.

This is also a pretty great critical analysis on the game but has some pretty major spoilers (not the biggest one or 2 though). I agree that the game needed more fleshed out female characters but like he said, the game itself didn't get much time to do that for either gender of characters. Although the game pretty much hit the sweet spot of not overstaying its welcome so it's hard to say what they should have done as I really like the story they told.

Next game UFG, next game.

Shaneus

Sleepy Dogs is a parody of Asian movies while SR3 is more a parody of Western stuff, that might help your decision!
SD is more a homage than a parody, whereas SR3 is more a parody of parody action movies than anything resembling something legitimate. Perhaps if you can Bern, buy SD and get SR2 for 360.

Sleepy Dogs is a parody of Asian movies while SR3 is more a parody of Western stuff, that might help your decision!

I definitely see SR3 as a parody. But Sleeping Dogs wouldn't be a parody imo. It's basically a Hong Kong action movie itself. Homage is more fitting, as Shaneus mentioned above.

Dead Man

So now game 'journalists' are going to call out developers who don't give them snappy quotes to edit into their rumour reblogging? How low will the media go? And they say gamers are the entitled ones?

Also Sleepy had really strong first and last thirds whereas SR3 blew its load for me early. Once I had gotten the first big safehouse in SR3 it never really hit those peaks again whereas the endgame of Sleepy was blood pumping stuff. Year of the Dragon touched on that feel for me again which was nice.

Sleepy 2 needs to be a huge step up in quantity though, like GTA5 looks to be.
And SR2 was from the first Saints Row before they cut everything back again for SR3
Eh, they got emails and then whined about about, neither side has covered themselves in glory.

senahorse

My god Phil Fish is a manbaby. He has spent the last few years dishing out shit and showing disdain to his peers and fans alike. Another douchebag comes along and gives him some equally immature shit and he has a cry and runs home with his ball.

Yeah parody was the wrong word, I was lazy on mobile GAF :(

Eh, they got emails and then whined about about, neither side has covered themselves in glory.
At least they didn't get personal about it until he cracked the sads and named names of those who wouldn't get him the clicks.

In any case it all went to shit overnight as usual

Games Journalism has really put itself in a bad light yet again this weekend. Just a fucking joke. The insiders on GAF a better to listen to them Eurogamer et al at this point which is really disappointing. Get your facts straight rather than re-edit an article multiple times over 3 days, it's like the 7 minutes bullshit all over again. Although they have a history of this anyway.

TheBear

Anyone here going to buy Pikmin 3 off the UK store and claim the 30%off W101?
I've bought stuff off the UK eShop before, is there any reason why it wouldn't work?

Eh. Dude has been given shit every day. This is just the proverbial straw that broke that camels back. Nobodies behaviour is excusable in this situation. The worst is the random vitriol being spewed on this forum against Fish. Dude is clearly unstable, I have no idea what he is like irl or what he has been through I'm in no position to judge him personally. I guess just shrug and move on with my life.

senahorse

There is a reason he has been given shit every day, and he has brought most of it on himself. Some people can handle criticism gracefully or just ignore it, others, well they have a complete meltdown over it. But at this stage anything Phil Fish says about himself being attacked is pretty much just the pot calling the kettle black.

People are taking what Phil Fish says on twitter seriously?

You can go to jail for tweets dude! Fish should be serving 12 life sentences.

Dude is a fuckwit and I didn't like his game but I would never say any of the shit tens of thousands of tweets and forum posts directed at him.

senahorse

I think that would be the best outcome for everyone. Some people just aren't good in the spotlight, look at what happened with Dyack. I prefered Uwe Boll's approach, challenge your critics to a boxing match :p

I've never got the "I don't like Person X so when I have a go at the them on twitter, I'll put @PersonX on my rant so they can see how much I hate them" thing.

Feedback and conversation is one thing but verbal abuse is just wrong.

It's the tech version of the old bugger who yells at politicians when they go to shopping centres. Everyone would would think "ohh I don't like them," but at least be civil.

Shaneus

Had a few people nudge me elsewhere about responding to the rebuffs from XSEED. I'll keep this short: I've got nothing more to say. Even if you strip away most of the specifics, it's still a fucking creepy thing as far as I'm concerned.

The chap who works for XSEED's marketing department thinks it's quite a good game though, so I expect you should probably just listen to him. BYE.
He's taken his bat and ball and gone home. Lolz

What a clusterfuck of a trainwreck of a thread. White-knighting all up in this bitch. It's like complaining that a Tarantino movie is too violent. WHAT'S WRONG WITH SOCIETY THESE DAYS?

Oh, this is great:
Just imagine for a second that instead of this mode, Mondo gave a black man watermelon and fried chicken until he tapdanced for him. Would there be posters defending it? No one would cry "well it exists in a purely fantastical world, clearly it's tongue in cheek!" or "it's just a side mission, you can totally ignore it" because it would be clearly racist and offensive.
It would have just as much right to exist, however, for the people who do enjoy that kind of thing. And if it specifically served to satirize racism, I'd even go so far as to say it has easily defensible artistic merit!

The thing about artistic expression is that it has to be all-inclusive, or else there's a problem. If someone ever holds off on including part of his/her vision in an artistic work solely because it might offend someone else, then that artistic vision has been compromised, and that is absolutely the biggest crime of all.

There is no such thing as political correctness when it comes to art. Or rather, in my personal opinion, there SHOULD be no such thing. Anything and everything should be fair game, and creating controversy out of an artistic work due to the offensive nature of its content can ultimately serve only to oppress artistic expression.

-Tom

jambo

I don't think someone that is bi-polar should be let loose on Twitter to represent a company/game.

I hope he gets some proper help.

Am in Belgium. Have only had one beer (and bought a further six).

Bruges actually IS like a fucking fairytale, it's really pretty.

Yeah Bruges is cool, went there ~2 years ago. Trying to recall what I did now... went up the Belfry of course, think I visited the Church of Our Lady and St Salvador's Cathedral (if that is the one right near the main square). Ate lots of frites w/ mayo, mussels and waffles lol. Went on a brewery tour, even went to a little frites museum thing heh (not worth it). Oh yeah went to a chocolate museum too. Food museums are weird but relevant to my interests.

Deeku

the only things i know about that fish guy is japanese games suck and wearing glasses underwater. more than enough to hate the dude!

Halo Anniversary is fucking awesome. Such a great world and atmosphere they built 12 years ago. Giant project back in the day, really impressive. Dat score.

Maybe Destiny will be amazeballs after all.

EDIT: Also the port is pretty rough. Lots of glitches.

EDIT2: Alright, that's another hard lock. Fuck you for cheaping out MS and using Saber.

Top Bottom