• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

jambo

Godddd...

Stop talking about stupid games you stupid jerks.

Whats wrong with your pnuematic goombas?

You dont even talk about good games like Pikmin 3.

You're the reason Tony Abbot exists.

Going by Wii U sales I'm surprised that more than 1 person in AusGAF owns a Wii U...

Danoss

just gone back to contacts this week myself. Still wear glasses too when I can't be bothered, but the contacts are nice to have again. The ease of choosing non prescription sunglasses makes them worth it alone.

I'm still lazy and use glasses most of the time. I save contacts for when I'm a bit more active and don't want to concern myself with sweat, rain or whatever (especially since I'm at home the majority of the time). Daily disposables make this possible and affordable. Prescription sunnies are great, but the freedom to choose others is too.

Blinking didn't help a hell of a lot, unfortunately. As this is my trial week I only had to keep them in for four hours but only managed 3.5 before I got fed up with them. Apparently fish oil tablets are supposed to help, and I've been eyeballing humidifiers in case one at work would make a difference. Otherwise I just use them (mostly) on weekends where there's no aircons.

Blinking can help when the air is still, though I still end up using drops at some point no matter where I am. In air conditioning, blinking won't do much of anything, you'll need eye drops to help you out there.

I'm hoping mine do somewhat, this was my first sesh where I had them in for longer than a few minutes. Taking them off, they were really quite dry and I noticed my eyes weren't watering at all (I assumed they would). No problem watering when I'm trying to put the fuckers in, though!

I've never had great luck with eyedrops (my aim is fucking pathetic) but I'm sure there are multiple solutions (ahaha) to get around that, like these (although I don't think they can be bought directly, here, I'm sure there's some equivalent thing.

Practice man. Buy some cheap drops and practice without contacts in. It won't take you long to figure it out. I owe my eyedrop skills to the many years of smoking weed and using them to hide my red eyes when needed. Necessity will force your hand here, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

I'm a shit teacher, but it's all about tilting your head right back so you're looking straight up without moving your eyeballs. Hold the bottle above your eye (positioning this is what will need practice, trial and error and you'll nail it) and open your eyelids wide and bombs away. When your dry eyes get hit with those drops, you'll be like "ooohhhh, fuck yeah!" It's so soothing.

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked I can handle them now after such a monumental struggle with them initially around 10 years ago. But I'm not sure I like how I look without glasses though, so I'll see how I go ;)

That's the funny thing, it's the reverse of getting used to how you looked with glasses on. My friends thought it looked odd when I first started wearing glasses, then when I got contacts it was the opposite. Doesn't take long and no one, including you, will think anything of it.

Are you gents using daily disposable/weekly/monthly/leave-in-overnight ones? I only have the dailies for the test, but I guess if I want to use them for longer periods of time I could look at other ones.

Dailies all the way. The cost is higher if you use them everyday (astigmatism in both eyes increases this further) but since I don't it is much more cost efficient. Acuvue Moist are the ones I use and they're pretty damn good. I've tried monthlies and didn't have much luck. I think if I needed to wear them more frequently, I'd go for the fortnightly ones.

Kritz

Banned
4VEbDSRh.jpg

Father got a four pack of Cascade's new beers. I guess cascade are branding themselves to be a bit more craft beery?

Beer review: it tastes like what beers taste like.

hops/5 - beers.net

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm such a nerd. I attended a lecture for a unit I'm not even enrolled in at uni today. Even made two pages worth of notes because I found it damn fascinating.

Feel like I should attend the lecture about world religions after my 1-week break.

Shaneus

Blinking can help when the air is still, though I still end up using drops at some point no matter where I am. In air conditioning, blinking won't do much of anything, you'll need eye drops to help you out there.
Yeah, I think that's what I'll be like as well, regardless of where I am. It's second-nature to always bring a cloth to clean my glasses with, I just replace that with drops. I'm not expecting 1000% less accessories/maintenance or whatever.
Side question: How long would you be able to have those contacts in before eyedrops stop doing anything? Just if I'm going out or I want to wear them from 7am in the morning until post-after work drinks or something, I wouldn't want to push my luck (or know that I'll definitely have to bring my glasses with me).

Practice man. Buy some cheap drops and practice without contacts in. It won't take you long to figure it out. I owe my eyedrop skills to the many years of smoking weed and using them to hide my red eyes when needed. Necessity will force your hand here, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

I'm a shit teacher, but it's all about tilting your head right back so you're looking straight up without moving your eyeballs. Hold the bottle above your eye (positioning this is what will need practice, trial and error and you'll nail it) and open your eyelids wide and bombs away. When your dry eyes get hit with those drops, you'll be like "ooohhhh, fuck yeah!" It's so soothing.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure every time I did them I was never parallel with the floor, I was closer to a 45 degree angle. But yeah, now I'm not afraid of shoving my fingers into my eye sockets, I should be less twitchy about eyedrops as well. Couldn't believe how easily I was able to put them in this morning, especially after the nervousness I had in my first training session (and all 10 sessions during my first stint).
Side question: What eyedrops did you use for your red eyes? I almost always have red eyes for whatever reason and they usually feel a little "tired", something with a stamp of approval would be most welcome :)

Dailies all the way. The cost is higher if you use them everyday (astigmatism in both eyes increases this further) but since I don't it is much more cost efficient. Acuvue Moist are the ones I use and they're pretty damn good. I've tried monthlies and didn't have much luck. I think if I needed to wear them more frequently, I'd go for the fortnightly ones.
Yeah, I have astigmatism and they gave me freebie Acuvue Moist for my first trial week or whatever. Honestly think a batch of those fuckers (however big that may be) could last me for *ages*. I mean, 30 or so should last me at least 4-5 months, I'd think.

Excited about the freedom of them, though. Chuck a couple in a bag, some eyedrops and I'm right for a weekend or short trip.

Fuck yeah, Dead Man wins! Excuse the shitty phone pics with crap light and a wobbly hand :)

The pile of victory:

Thanks for the help guys, it is masively appreciated.

Oh man, so good. I really like the R4, I have the R3 and it's a great case. What CPU did you go for again? Post temps/clocks etc after you've stressed her out. :)

Dead Man

Oh man, so good. I really like the R4, I have the R3 and it's a great case. What CPU did you go for again? Post temps/clocks etc after you've stressed her out. :)

Love the case, so easy to work with compared the shit from a decade ago. Looked much nicer than all the other stuff in the price range too. Same with the motherboard, no jumpers to set up. God I hated doing that. I got the i5 3570k. I do have a small ratle in one of the fans, I need to find it but that can wait, only really booted and updated so far, boot up is so fast, gone from a 5 minute process on the old laptop to a 30 second deal.

What applications do you use for temp monitoring and stress testing, or benchmarking too? Haven't bothered with that stuff in years.

lexi

Banned
Fuck yeah, Dead Man wins! Excuse the shitty phone pics with crap light and a wobbly hand :)

The pile of victory:

Thanks for the help guys, it is masively appreciated.

cableman.jpg

I... shouldn't feel this way about a picture of a PC.

What case is that? It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

Love the case, so easy to work with compared the shit from a decade ago. Looked much nicer than all the other stuff in the price range too. Same with the motherboard, no jumpers to set up. God I hated doing that. I got the i5 3570k. I do have a small ratle in one of the fans, I need to find it but that can wait, only really booted and updated so far, boot up is so fast, gone from a 5 minute process on the old laptop to a 30 second deal.

What applications do you use for temp monitoring and stress testing, or benchmarking too? Haven't bothered with that stuff in years.

Shamelessly stolen from the 'I need a New PC' thread, but these are the apps I use.

MSI Afterburner (aka RivaTuner) allows you to manage GPU overclocking, fan speed/profiles and chart many aspects of your GPU.

Real Temp allows you to monitor the temperature of your CPU core(s).

Prime95 allows you to stress test your CPU and RAM for stability

FURMark allows you to stress test your video card.

That will get you started in terms of checking temps, stressing CPU/GPU and seeing what type of OC you're looking at.

What fans are you using and what sort of placement? My 212 fan started rattling a couple of months ago so I replaced it and saw a significant drop in temps. I eventually replaced the t wo stock fractal fans as well, but they should be sufficient unless you're looking at OCing both your CPU/GPU.

@ Lexi. It's the Fractal Design R4....Lots of room and ridiculously silent. Plus it's sexy as. Comes in Titanium/black/white

Dead Man

Shamelessly stolen from the 'I need a New PC' thread, but these are the apps I use.

MSI Afterburner (aka RivaTuner) allows you to manage GPU overclocking, fan speed/profiles and chart many aspects of your GPU.

Real Temp allows you to monitor the temperature of your CPU core(s).

Prime95 allows you to stress test your CPU and RAM for stability

FURMark allows you to stress test your video card.

That will get you started in terms of checking temps, stressing CPU/GPU and seeing what type of OC you're looking at.

What fans are you using and what sort of placement? My 212 fan started rattling a couple of months ago so I replaced it and saw a significant drop in temps. I eventually replaced the t wo stock fractal fans as well, but they should be sufficient unless you're looking at OCing both your CPU/GPU.

@ Lexi. It's the Fractal Design R4....Lots of room and ridiculously silent. Plus it's sexy as. Comes in Titanium/black/white
Thanks. Games first, then benchmarks/testing :) Not planning to overclock it for a while, it feels fast as fuck already to me.

Dead Man.

Table.

Name.

Linkies.

NAOW!

Pliz?

Assuming you mean the desk the pc is on, this is what I bought, but mine looks much darker than those images: http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Furniture/Desks/Home-Office-Desks/OWMETROPCE

cableman.jpg

I... shouldn't feel this way about a picture of a PC.

What case is that? It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

As SuttonDagger said, R4. Very cool case. Not massively expensive either.

Shaneus

Assuming you mean the desk the pc is on, this is what I bought, but mine looks much darker than those images: http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Furniture/Desks/Home-Office-Desks/OWMETROPCE
Fuck me dead, I think I need that desk. Would be a massive upgrade from my current one, which I've had since (I think) high school when I lived with my folks. It doesn't look particularly old or tacky, but that OW one definitely looks a lot classier. It says it has a PVC finish... does it looks like the sort of thing that would peel in twelve months time?

Rlan

Anyone got Steamkeys they'd like to swap?

I have separate ones for:

Shank 2
Binding of Isaac + DLC
Dungeon Defenders
Cave Story+
Offspring Fling

I got them via Humble Bundles ages ago but I already owned those games (and redeemed the other ones)

Up for anything really.

Dead Man

Fuck me dead, I think I need that desk. Would be a massive upgrade from my current one, which I've had since (I think) high school when I lived with my folks. It doesn't look particularly old or tacky, but that OW one definitely looks a lot classier. It says it has a PVC finish... does it looks like the sort of thing that would peel in twelve months time?

I've had mine about 6 months and it has peeled a bit where my forearm rests when using the mouse. Nothing dramatic, but in another 6 months I'll be looking for a new desk I reckon.

But hey, you get what you pay for, cheap fake wood is cheap.

Danoss

How long would you be able to have those contacts in before eyedrops stop doing anything? Just if I'm going out or I want to wear them from 7am in the morning until post-after work drinks or something, I wouldn't want to push my luck (or know that I'll definitely have to bring my glasses with me).

You can safely do that and not worry about it. I find that approaching the very end of the day, like 11pm give or take is when I really want to take them out. Glasses as a backup are always a good idea.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure every time I did them I was never parallel with the floor, I was closer to a 45 degree angle. But yeah, now I'm not afraid of shoving my fingers into my eye sockets, I should be less twitchy about eyedrops as well. Couldn't believe how easily I was able to put them in this morning, especially after the nervousness I had in my first training session (and all 10 sessions during my first stint).

That'll do it. The drops would be hitting either your eyelid or your cheek. If you can nail getting the contacts in quickly, this'll be a breeze.

What eyedrops did you use for your red eyes? I almost always have red eyes for whatever reason and they usually feel a little "tired", something with a stamp of approval would be most welcome :)

I used Optazine eye drops (in typical Aussie fashion, they were called 'Oppo'; "got any Oppo, man?" Shit was awesome, made your eyes even whiter than normal which was going from one extreme to another. I think it was prescription only, though I'm not too sure because I always scabbed someone else's, I always had the weed, fucked if I was taking care of everything. Googling around I didn't have any luck finding it, but it seems Optrex uses the same active ingredient if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, I have astigmatism and they gave me freebie Acuvue Moist for my first trial week or whatever. Honestly think a batch of those fuckers (however big that may be) could last me for *ages*. I mean, 30 or so should last me at least 4-5 months, I'd think.

Excited about the freedom of them, though. Chuck a couple in a bag, some eyedrops and I'm right for a weekend or short trip.

They're the ones! If you don't use them often, they'll last you ages. I got a bunch free when I got my prescription updated many, many weeks ago and I still haven't used any. Tells you how much I get out these days.

I've had mine about 6 months and it has peeled a bit where my forearm rests when using the mouse. Nothing dramatic, but in another 6 months I'll be looking for a new desk I reckon.

Wood glue and a clamp overnight will do the trick (with a cloth or some cardboard in between so you don't wreck the fake veneer).

Thank you. It's not what I imagined from your pictures. Why is there a dearth of computer table options in this country? I see copious amounts of designs from Europe/US and over here it's mainly particle board and laminate... I'm not sure if I'll ever find a desk that I'm completely happy with.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Don't forget your hot chocolates this morning!

I know rezb1t wants to bring back the kebab friday... so maybe if you're up to it, give that a shot.

Dead Man

Wood glue and a clamp overnight will do the trick (with a cloth or some cardboard in between so you don't wreck the fake veneer).
Good idea.
Thank you. It's not what I imagined from your pictures. Why is there a dearth of computer table options in this country? I see copious amounts of designs from Europe/US and over here it's mainly particle board and laminate... I'm not sure if I'll ever find a desk that I'm completely happy with.

Yeah, I feel your pain. I've given up until I have the budget to get something proper custom made.

Shaneus

It's fairly shit. I figure that if I'm going to upgrade (and I really should) my best option is to find some kind of hybrid desk where I can stand if I want to. Maybe even get this kind of thing going:
LVl3imN.jpg

Or maybe not. But the idea of a standing desk I think, if configured correctly, would work really well for all sorts of games (should I opt for it over Comfy Couch).

*fuck multiquoting all this shit*
Awesome. Thanks!

;)

DrSlek

If you want a better quality computer desk, you can get them, but it will cost a lot more than the cheap stuff from Officeworks/ Ikea/ Amart/ Target, etc.

Office supply places not called office works. The places that supply commercial grade furniture to large offices. You can also get some good ones second-hand from auctions.

You could even try getting a custom one made by a cabinet maker/carpenter. They will be more expensive than WO but its still worth getting a quote. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Stackboy

Dammit, I always end up checking into Ausgaf after my morning coffee run and I always forget to get a hot chocolate on Fridays.

Top Bottom