• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Yep, It's why I loved it. To me, It never felt like you were constantly killing people. You would explore for a bit, bump into a handful of enemies and then continue exploring.

It wasn't wave after wave of bullshit.

It gets a bit more "shootbang arena" than I'd like in a couple areas towards the end but yeah, otherwise I liked the balance between adventuring and shooting.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Lara just gets over it too quickly is my view.

She absolutely freaks the fuck out over the deer and the first QTE, but after that it's practically 'hit E to MURDER'

Speaking of QTEs, fuck QTEs

The QTEs were fucking terrible in that game. I hope next gen for whatever reason doesn't bring that shit back. I do agree that her growth for murdering people was pretty damn quick, although she did at least still act scared and nervous etc throughout the game in some situations.

It gets a bit more "shootbang arena" than I'd like in a couple areas towards the end but yeah, otherwise I liked the balance between adventuring and shooting.

It did have maybe 2 or 3 spots that felt wave or trigger based towards the end. That's still far better than most of the shit we got this gen.

The game had some really annoying flaws, designs taken solely because they have been used in previous "AAA" top selling titles.

It's still one of my favourite games i've played this year. Despite it's flaws, there was just something about it that really worked for me.

senahorse

I really enjoyed TR, but I hope they don't (they will) keep the game in that direction, I really enjoyed the puzzles of old. The puzzles in this were pretty silly. Also Lara's change of character was very abrupt, but most games are like that. The Last of Us did it well with Ellie though, but I suppose that had the luxury of being spanned over a much longer time.

Fixed.

I thought TR was perfectly fine in terms of how many people you killed and why. I honestly thought they set it up nice and early, Dead bodies hanging around, bones all over the place, it was obvious you were on a very hostile island with people who will kill you on sight.

On top of that the kidnap and blah blah, certainly gave you the impression that they would kill you and anyone else without question. They need something to do during the day so playing board games isn't the worst thing in the world.

I felt TR did it right and did it really well for a "videogame".
I agree with this beautiful man. Less of a reboot and more of a prequel.

I think one of the best moments was
when you ran across those bridges and then fell into the pool of blood. Some really pretty, creative sets there.. plus i have a soft spot for those castles.

Dead Man

Turns out I've been rather a clot. I assumed I knew what I was doing when assembling the new pc box, but I didn't look at the instructions for the cooler. :/ Time to undo some work. Although it looks like I might be able to use the right side panel instead of removing everything... hmm...

Remember: a computer will never ever work unless it's drawn blood whilst being built. This follows the same rule that I have when working on a car. No blood? No good.

Dead Man

Remember: a computer will never ever work unless it's drawn blood whilst being built. This follows the same rule that I have when working on a car. No blood? No good.

This one should work flawlessly then :) I forgot how anal I was about cabling too. 'Just chuck it together Dead Man, you can sort the cable routing after'. Sure.

Be careful to not give it too much, otherwise it will build a dependency... Before you know you have to feed it fingers just to boot it up. It's not until you're trapping wild animals that you really start wonder how things ever got that bad.

Dead Man

Be careful to not give it too much, otherwise it will build a dependency... Before you know you have to feed it fingers just to boot it up. It's not until you're trapping wild animals that you really start wonder how things ever got that bad.

Hah! :) Sounds like the voice of experience.

Edit: I'm not sure I understand the retention device on this cooler, oh well, I'll give it a go, if it rattles it's wrong, right?

Gazunta

OK super geniuses, I was hoping I could find this out with some Googling but either what I'm asking for is so simple it's just assumed knowledge or it's beyond my Googlefu.

I have a file in my Dropbox public folder. I want something - a cron job, a script, whatever - to grab that file once every x minutes, copy it to my webserver, and rename it.

Any ideas?

Fredescu

It's been a while since cases were like that. These days they're pretty good. Like you, I have plenty of painful memories of when they weren't.

Hah! :) Sounds like the voice of experience.

Edit: I'm not sure I understand the retention device on this cooler, oh well, I'll give it a go, if it rattles it's wrong, right?
Probably shouldn't rattle. Is the arm all the way down and locked in place? I've been fooled by some in the past where I'm sure I'm about to braking it when locking it into place.
Just don't break it when locking it into place.

It's been a while since cases were like that. These days they're pretty good. Like you, I have plenty of painful memories of when they weren't.
That's good to know, considering that time is rapidly drawing near to my having to upgrade, as well. Even if it doesn't happen naturally, I'll probably stab myself and drizzle a bit in. What? It's only a superstition if there's no evidence to back up my stance, to which I have plenty. Empirical evidence counts, right?

Danoss

Contacts are in! But holy hell, air conditioners are pissing me off. Getting ready whilst wearing them at home was fine, driving was fine, become uncomfortable as fuck on the train. Get off the train at North Melb, fine for a bit, city loop, not so bad. Off at Parliament, fine until I walk into the office, then annoying as hell again. I guess it takes a while but right now my eyes just don't want to water which I suspect they will learn to do over time. Hope so, at least.

So weird. I can go outside and even if it's windy I'll be right, but even (relatively) still air and boom... I'm blinking every 5 seconds.

Air conditioners will do that to your eyes, it's very drying. If I'm in an air conditioned environment, I'll notice within minutes that my eyes are starting to dry out. Office work environments (or other air conditioned places where you might employ focused vision) are worse because you tend to blink less in these conditions and compound the problem. Blinking more frequently can help immensely and is your body's natural reaction to keep them moist, there is nothing you can do to change this and in some situations you may find yourself doing this intentionally to help somewhat prevent or delay the problem.

Unfortunately, your eyes won't adjust to this and is standard-fare if you wear contacts. Believe it or not, taking the stimulant medication for ADHD actually adds to the dry eyes that you're noticing. You'll need to carry some eye drops with you wherever you go, you would anyway, but the ADHD meds means you'll use them a bit (not a lot) more frequently than you normally would otherwise.

I've used a few different brands of eye drops and I now always stick with Blink Contacts. Experiment however you like because you might prefer a different brand, but make sure whatever drops you choose are intended for use with contacts, there is a difference.

Also, congrats! Contacts are rad, despite the above issues.

Dead Man

Yeah, this case is pretty awesome so far, heaps of access, and clever bits abound.
Probably shouldn't rattle. Is the arm all the way down and locked in place? I've been fooled by some in the past where I'm sure I'm about to braking it when locking it into place.
Just don't break it when locking it into place.

That's good to know, considering that time is rapidly drawing near to my having to upgrade, as well. Even if it doesn't happen naturally, I'll probably stab myself and drizzle a bit in. What? It's only a superstition if there's no evidence to back up my stance, to which I have plenty. Empirical evidence counts, right?
The cooler doesn't rattle, but it does rotate on the vertical axis if you apply quite a bit of twisting force. Poor pic:
CdGTGwH.jpg

The retention plate and backing plate are solid, but there appears to be nothing holding the cooler in place between them except a post without threads and friction. So it will rotate if force is applied. Totally stable otherwise. Should be okay, right?

Dead Man

Air conditioners will do that to your eyes, it's very drying. If I'm in an air conditioned environment, I'll notice within minutes that my eyes are starting to dry out. Office work environments (or other air conditioned places where you might employ focused vision) are worse because you tend to blink less in these conditions and compound the problem. Blinking more frequently can help immensely and is your body's natural reaction to keep them moist, there is nothing you can do to change this and in some situations you may find yourself doing this intentionally to help somewhat prevent or delay the problem.

Unfortunately, your eyes won't adjust to this and is standard-fare if you wear contacts. Believe it or not, taking the stimulant medication for ADHD actually adds to the dry eyes that you're noticing. You'll need to carry some eye drops with you wherever you go, you would anyway, but the ADHD meds means you'll use them a bit (not a lot) more frequently than you normally would otherwise.

I've used a few different brands of eye drops and I now always stick with Blink Contacts. Experiment however you like because you might prefer a different brand, but make sure whatever drops you choose are intended for use with contacts, there is a difference.

just gone back to contacts this week myself. Still wear glasses too when I can't be bothered, but the contacts are nice to have again. The ease of choosing non prescription sunglasses makes them owrth it alone.

Fuck it, double posting.

As long as you do it at least twice. Then it's "data".
Then I have data. About 4 pints of it, I reckon.

The cooler doesn't rattle, but it does rotate on the vertical axis if you apply quite a bit of twisting force. Poor pic:

The retention plate and backing plate are solid, but there appears to be nothing holding the cooler in place between them except a post without threads and friction. So it will rotate if force is applied. Totally stable otherwise. Should be okay, right?
First off, your picture reminds me of the very beginning of Star Wars. It should be chasing a smaller, late 90s cooler. Having not installed one of that size, I don't think I can help, sorry, about how much give it should have. Your description, though, makes it should like it should be okay. What make/model is it?

Dead Man

Then I have data. About 4 pints of it, I reckon.

First off, your picture reminds me of the very beginning of Star Wars. It should be chasing a smaller, late 90s cooler. Having not installed one of that size, I don't think I can help, sorry, about how much give it should have. Your description, though, makes it should like it should be okay. What make/model is it?

Yeah, it's huge, much bigger than I expected LOL. It's a coolermaster hyper 212 evo. I think I'll just go ahead and assume it is correct and keep an eye on temps and listen for any rattles for a while.

Yeah, it's huge, much bigger than I expected LOL. It's a coolermaster hyper 212 evo. I think I'll just go ahead and assume it is correct and keep an eye on temps and listen for any rattles for a while.
Had a look at some images and it seems like there would be some movement. Had a poke around and found this thread which seems to indicate that it's all okay.

I really enjoyed TR, but I hope they don't (they will) keep the game in that direction, I really enjoyed the puzzles of old. The puzzles in this were pretty silly. Also Lara's change of character was very abrupt, but most games are like that. The Last of Us did it well with Ellie though, but I suppose that had the luxury of being spanned over a much longer time.
The tombs were very nice but they needed a couple more really, especially when one was a pre-order bonus.

Remember when tool-less cases came in? Man that was amazing. Fuck cases in the 90's, things were death traps.

Shaneus

Blinking didn't help a hell of a lot, unfortunately. As this is my trial week I only had to keep them in for four hours but only managed 3.5 before I got fed up with them. Apparently fish oil tablets are supposed to help, and I've been eyeballing humidifiers in case one at work would make a difference. Otherwise I just use them (mostly) on weekends where there's no aircons.

I'm hoping mine do somewhat, this was my first sesh where I had them in for longer than a few minutes. Taking them off, they were really quite dry and I noticed my eyes weren't watering at all (I assumed they would). No problem watering when I'm trying to put the fuckers in, though!

I've never had great luck with eyedrops (my aim is fucking pathetic) but I'm sure there are multiple solutions (ahaha) to get around that, like these (although I don't think they can be bought directly, here, I'm sure there's some equivalent thing.

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked I can handle them now after such a monumental struggle with them initially around 10 years ago. But I'm not sure I like how I look without glasses though, so I'll see how I go ;)

just gone back to contacts this week myself. Still wear glasses too when I can't be bothered, but the contacts are nice to have again. The ease of choosing non prescription sunglasses makes them owrth it alone.

Fuck it, double posting.
This this this. Part of the reason I wanted to go for them. I think as long as I use them primarily outdoors for things like festivals (where I can afford to bring a pair of regular sunnies).

Are you gents using daily disposable/weekly/monthly/leave-in-overnight ones? I only have the dailies for the test, but I guess if I want to use them for longer periods of time I could look at other ones.

That's normal dead man :). Got a 212 meself .

Shaneus a emotionless robot confirmed.
I should've just re-read the news about Webber retiring from F1. Instant tears, guaranteed.
*sniff*

Dead Man

Had a look at some images and it seems like there would be some movement. Had a poke around and found this thread which seems to indicate that it's all okay.

That's normal dead man :). Got a 212 meself .

Shaneus a emotionless robot confirmed.
Thank you both very much, much more confident hitting the power button now :)
This this this. Part of the reason I wanted to go for them. I think as long as I use them primarily outdoors for things like festivals (where I can afford to bring a pair of regular sunnies).
Yeah, I'm getting my car back next week as well (lol, maybe, been promisied too many times) so I needed to be able to wear my old driving sunnies for the epic trips I will be taking (probably straight back to the mechanics when something else fails).

jambo

Just chiming in to say I enjoyed most things about Tomb Raider. Didn't even mind the QTE's. Am I a monster?

You low, corrosive lump of fecal horror, you maniac bastardly turd. I would rather drink stale urine from Norman Fowler's arse-pit than remain one moment more in your defiling company. You're filth, you're cack, you're the ooze of a burst boil, I abominate you, you towering mound of corrupted slime. Your every utterance is like the slithering hiss of a fat maggot in the putrid guts of a decomposing rat, your face is fouler than the unwiped inner ring of Satan's rectum.

lexi

Banned
Just chiming in to say I enjoyed most things about Tomb Raider. Didn't even mind the QTE's. Am I a monster?

I'm with you on this one. The game got a fucking ridiculous amount of hate and everyone suddenly thinks they're Amirox, screaming in unison "bu-bu-.... LUDDONARRATIVE DISSONANCE!!!1! OMG I'M SO FUCKING CLEVER FOR KNOWING THIS WORD!!!!!"

Jintor

Listen, I don't mind you complaining or not complaining about ludonarrative dissonance, but if you liked those QTEs you're a human piece of garbage and will burn in the seven point five circle of heck

Stackboy

Listen, I don't mind you complaining or not complaining about ludonarrative dissonance, but if you liked those QTEs you're a human piece of garbage and will burn in the seven point five circle of heck

Ehhh, it didn't feel like it made the game jarring or frustrating.

Maybe I just enjoy mashing keys?

Jintor

Instant fail QTEs can dive off a cliff as thought they had failed a shitty instant-fail QTEs

oddly enough I quite like QTEs when they're integrated into gameplay, like some of those 'grab the ledge and hit x' bits in Tomb Raider like to confirm a grab or something. But when they're on a cutscene and you have to press the button NOW or die forever, I hate them. Absolutely shitty.

If you're gonna make me hit a QTE make it for a bonus or something so I don't lose the flow for not realising you were suddenly going to do a thing

Instant fail QTEs can dive off a cliff as thought they had failed a shitty instant-fail QTEs

oddly enough I quite like QTEs when they're integrated into gameplay, like some of those 'grab the ledge and hit x' bits in Tomb Raider like to confirm a grab or something. But when they're on a cutscene and you have to press the button NOW or die forever, I hate them. Absolutely shitty.

If you're gonna make me hit a QTE make it for a bonus or something so I don't lose the flow for not realising you were suddenly going to do a thing

The cutscenes with qtes are the worst. Ledge grabbing with x is ok. Bashing x to open a door or crate. Bloody annoying.

teekun

You know what, I will forgive every game with QTEs for existing only because it led to Asura's Wrath being made. That game is amazing.

teekun

It's worth it. Well, worth playing, I don't know if I can say it's worth the price.

They somehow manage to make shit get even crazier than the on-disc ending stuff.

markot

Banned
Godddd...

Stop talking about stupid games you stupid jerks.

Whats wrong with your pnuematic goombas?

You dont even talk about good games like Pikmin 3.

You're the reason Tony Abbot exists.

The use of ludonarrative dissonance by hipster games media bloggers has reached critical point. Can't wait for it to be uncool to use and can once again become useful.

Also it wasn't too bad in Tomb Raider. She was disgusted at first but once the bodies kept falling it was made apparent she enjoyed adding to the body count which ties in well with her ongoing future as a mass self-defencer.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Godddd...

Stop talking about stupid games you stupid jerks.

Whats wrong with your pnuematic goombas?

You dont even talk about good games like Pikmin 3.

You're the reason Tony Abbot exists.

PIKMIN 3 IS AMAZING.

so much multitasking.

haven't been like that since I made gold league in sc2!

but i need to get back to it. been too distracted by earthbound and harvest moon :(

Top Bottom