• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

senahorse

Water cooling in, PC pretty much finished, still need a couple of cables and tbc if I can be arsed tidying them up. Rather happy with the results, will post more detail in PC thread later on.

WC_zps0824e37a.jpg~original

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Water cooling in, PC pretty much finished, still need a couple of cables and tbc if I can be arsed tidying them up. Rather happy with the results, will post more detail in PC thread later on.

[I/MG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/x3n05/WC_zps0824e37a.jpg~original[/IMG]

Got any temps yet?

Shaneus

hey :p maybe if you bought them all too and supported sega you'd know
I bought them all, had no problem. Heathen.

Having said that, almost all the Sega stuff right up until the bad patch of Dreamcast ports were pretty horrid. But then they had things like Binary Domain, the *good* DC/Saturn ports (like Nights and JSR) and even Generations and the first Sonic game (sorry, you shouldn't ever need to reconfigure controls on a kart game, even though I'm pretty sure you could in both via the frontend).

That's an overclocked haswell for you, hot bloody things, doesn't help that Intel uses shitty TIM either.

Yeah, I've got Ivy and they run hotter than Sandy when OC'ed, Haswell certainly took it up a notch. 4.5 ghz OC is pretty decent though, I'm only running at 4.2 and it's about where I want to be at the moment on air (hovers around 70 degrees when stressed), I'd love to delid eventually. I'll probably upgrade again next year and just claim some back on tax again, I essentially built my brand new computer with mid-high end CPU/GPU (at the time) for $1000.

On another subject I just received this email from PayPal, it has to be a scam right? There is nothing related to this on the normal PayPal site.

"Your PayPal account has been limited. Secure Payments
Dear PayPal User, As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.
We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.
A recent review of your account determined that we require some additional
information from you in order to provide you with secure service.

Case ID Number: PP-314-261-582

This is a second reminder to log into paypal as soon as possible. Once you log
in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

Be sure to log in securely by using the following link:

Click here to login and restore your account access

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your
account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account
safety.

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain
limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your
account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further
limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your
PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to
make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution
Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further
clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting
the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".
PayPal Account Review Department"

Danoss

On another subject I just received this email from PayPal, it has to be a scam right? There is nothing related to this on the normal PayPal site.

[removed email contents]

I've had something similar happen with PayPal and it was legitimate. Check the email address that it originated from, if it doesn't come from an @paypal.com.au address you can safely ignore it. This one in particular seems that it is likely to be a scam for a number of reasons.

The easy way to avoid getting hit by a scam is to never click any such link in the email. If you have a problem that needs to be resolved, manually go to the site to log in and fix it there.

I've had something similar happen with PayPal and it was legitimate. Check the email address that it originated from, if it doesn't come from an @paypal.com.au address you can safely ignore it. This one in particular seems that it is likely to be a scam for a number of reasons.

The easy way to avoid getting hit by a scam is to never click any such link in the email. If you have a problem that needs to be resolved, manually go to the site to log in and fix it there.

Cheers. I sent the email through to PayPal as part of their phishing watch, I'll see what I get back.

Fredescu

This is the best advice. A dodgy looking email is a good indicator that something is fake, but a real looking email is so easy to fake that it can't be considered an indicator that something is real.

Jintor

I thought it was a surprisingly good shooter and a pretty good traversal game but it didn't have enough of either of those elements to be all that fantastic.

The plot went off the rails pretty much instantly and just continually got batshit stupid from there. The minute Lara picked up an insane fixation on magic - nevermind that she was right about the whole endeavour - was about the point where I threw my hands up and said "Fuck it".

It's very difficult to get over the intense mood dissonance from being an 'innocent' character who then goes about murdering a lot of dudes. I ended up just pretending she was, like, an Assassin or something. I'm beginning to think most games should just roll with hero sociopathy, because just outright ignoring it is really beginning to bug me.

The villain trying to pull out a "HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE YOUUUUU KILLED LARA" line was possibly the stupidest fucking move I could imagine. What a stupid villain, by the way. Fucking turns up in a storm, Lara goes to sleep, suddenly he's the biggest bad forever, ranting and raving in cutscenes for the rest of the game. Moronic.

Rezbit

I really enjoyed the gameplay of Tomb Raider, and pretty much ignored all the story parts. Can barely even remember what happened. I actually found the gameplay more fluid and engaging than Uncharted, might cop shit for that but eh. Bow and arrow is so fun.

Totally agree with you about the villain. More games keep doing this and it shits me. Well yes arsehole developers you probably put about 1000 enemies in front of me in ever increasing waves, and yes I killed them all. Hate games getting all preachy, just let me have fun playing your damn game.

I find it weird that that was such a big complaint for a lot of people. I honestly didn't notice the split personality thing that much, I guess because I've come to see "shoot a bunch of dudes" as par for the course with most blockbuster games nowadays. The only time I was "immersed" was exploring and climbing.

Jintor

It really depends on the treatment of the piece as a whole. Tomb Raider feels a lot, lot weirder because there's such a big focus on trying to make Lara seem like... well, like a heroic figure who's just doing what she's doing to survive, which is, yeah, okay, that's what you're doing. But then they keep stopping every few moments to show dudes talking and being all peaceful and playing board games and whatever and you're like, damn son, she's just killing peeps all the time and not really commenting on it

Compare, say, Sleepy Dawgs where you're in a chop-suey hong kong police action drama film where a little gratuitous blowing people up is to be expected, or Saint's Row or GTA where you *are* a sociopath.

Sleepy Dawgs!!! !!1 Woo hoo!!!
I love Sleepy Dawgs

Tomb Raider was good fun. Running round with the bow is great. Story is pretty arse but meh. At least it lets you skip the cut scenes.

markot

Banned
It really depends on the treatment of the piece as a whole. Tomb Raider feels a lot, lot weirder because there's such a big focus on trying to make Lara seem like... well, like a heroic figure who's just doing what she's doing to survive, which is, yeah, okay, that's what you're doing. But then they keep stopping every few moments to show dudes talking and being all peaceful and playing board games and whatever and you're like, damn son, she's just killing peeps all the time and not really commenting on it

Compare, say, Sleepy Dawgs where you're in a chop-suey hong kong police action drama film where a little gratuitous blowing people up is to be expected, or Saint's Row or GTA where you *are* a sociopath.
What would you prefer rose? Mgs2s moral codec conversations?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The villain trying to pull out a "HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE YOUUUUU KILLED LARA" line was possibly the stupidest fucking move I could imagine. What a stupid villain, by the way. Fucking turns up in a storm, Lara goes to sleep, suddenly he's the biggest bad forever, ranting and raving in cutscenes for the rest of the game. Moronic.

That sounds about as awesome as how it was done in Uncharted 2.

What would you prefer rose? Mgs2s moral codec conversations?
The premise of Tomb Raider probably leads itself to a game when you don't have to "kill" so many people.;p

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The premise of Uncharted probably leads itself to a game when you don't have to "kill" so many people.;p

Fixed.

I thought TR was perfectly fine in terms of how many people you killed and why. I honestly thought they set it up nice and early, Dead bodies hanging around, bones all over the place, it was obvious you were on a very hostile island with people who will kill you on sight.

On top of that the kidnap and blah blah, certainly gave you the impression that they would kill you and anyone else without question. They need something to do during the day so playing board games isn't the worst thing in the world.

I felt TR did it right and did it really well for a "videogame".

Shaneus

Contacts are in! But holy hell, air conditioners are pissing me off. Getting ready whilst wearing them at home was fine, driving was fine, become uncomfortable as fuck on the train. Get off the train at North Melb, fine for a bit, city loop, not so bad. Off at Parliament, fine until I walk into the office, then annoying as hell again. I guess it takes a while but right now my eyes just don't want to water which I suspect they will learn to do over time. Hope so, at least.

So weird. I can go outside and even if it's windy I'll be right, but even (relatively) still air and boom... I'm blinking every 5 seconds.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The best bits about Tomb Raider were the jumping around and exploring though. As per all Tomb Raiders.

Yep, It's why I loved it. To me, It never felt like you were constantly killing people. You would explore for a bit, bump into a handful of enemies and then continue exploring.

It wasn't wave after wave of bullshit.

Jintor

Lara just gets over it too quickly is my view.

She absolutely freaks the fuck out over the deer and the first QTE, but after that it's practically 'hit E to MURDER'

Speaking of QTEs, fuck QTEs

Top Bottom