• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

(Breaking Bad discussion)
I know! I love how this show doesn't beat around the bush. Instead of drawing out a will they/won't they cat and mouse game, they've gone with the thermonuclear option. Bravo!

And that opening? Hot damn!

deep down I was hoping they'd go down this path, just didn't think they would so quickly. How many eps do you think Jesse will last? After the melt down he's not long for this world

Shaneus

Ugh, no Vita with me today. Did a backup of the ol' 8GB card this morning, restore to the 32GB takes a stupidly long time to do :/

On the plus side, I'm loving my new(ish) Acer cheaparse tablet, simply because it allows me to watch the PAPA 16 pinball finals on the go, whilst being significantly lighter and easier to hold than the iPad. Very impressed with it from that standpoint, great for watching stuff on that isn't super-high bitrate or resolution (I think the stream was only 480p).

Everyone should watch it, just to see the level of skill and knowledge required. It's incredible.

Bernbaum

OK Ausgaf what's the easiest way to get a US copy of Saints Row 4 on Steam? I hear GMG isn't selling them to Aussies.
Someone in the Steam thread may help you by gifting. Otherwise, Tunnelbear+GreenManGaming should do the trick. I've used that to get GMG Steam codes not on the Aussie market. I even used my Aussie address in my credit card details.

jambo

Citizens Electoral Council
I think I just got teleported to 2003, this website. damn.
needs some animated GIFs

holy shit these guys are insane LOL. PUT AT BOTTOM OF LIST DO NOT VOTE FOR.
but view their website, it's amazing: http://www.cecaust.com.au/
they have a section on violent videogames under art and culture!

This site is amazing hahaha

http://cecaust.com.au/main.asp?sub=...sm-microsoft-will-kill-more-youth-hitler.html

International Fascism: Microsoft Will Kill More Youth than Hitler

According to yesterday's New York Post, another young killer, Stephen Kazmierczak, who killed five people and wounded 16 others at Northern Illinois University, was allegedly addicted to Microsoft's Counterstrike killer video-game.

:lol

Words from BB cinematographer:

enhanced-buzz-32609-1376042976-13.jpg

PREPARE YOURSELVES!

Also, an interesting theory about Walt taking on the habits of his victims is floating around the net.

Link has spoilers, so don't click if you haven't watched all the episodes.

senahorse

holy shit
so i just watch lateline, turnbull and albanese talk about fttn
if tony were to step down by his own will and let turnbull sit in the bigboy chair i think they would win by a landslide
dont want to pull a alp though and start backstabbing
anyway that emma lady that hosts it is terrible, she watched the newsroom and said "i want to cut people off and make them answer questions" but she keeps cutting people off when they are getting to the main point, also talking like megabit and gigabyte are crazy future words that no one knows the meaning of
also if the rest of that shit wasnt enough tonights display clearly shows how bias abc are

I completely disagree, she did a good job of stopping them waffle on, they weren't going on to answer the questions they were just peddling their own Bullshit and FUD, Malcolm especially is notorious for bullying his way through a debate and pushing his parties agenda without adequately answering questions.

Deeku

Hello carol.

Don't read this unless you've seen the latest episode.
I can't believe hank knows and has confronted Walt already. This season should be spectacular.

(Breaking Bad discussion)
I know! I love how this show doesn't beat around the bush. Instead of drawing out a will they/won't they cat and mouse game, they've gone with the thermonuclear option. Bravo!

And that opening? Hot damn!
all i know is every ep i will be like :OOOOO and maybe D: sometimes.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
This guy believed breaking bad is totally ripping off the old tv show, laverne and sherly.

Could be potential spoilers since he mentions how the original show ends, for some reason Nathan Fillion tweeted it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/breakingbad...ing_bad_is_laverne_shirley_with_meth_instead/

I haven't watch any of the show aside from the first few episodes, So I look forward to reading how it all ends. If the guy on reddit is right, that shit would be hilarious.

I completely disagree, she did a good job of stopping them waffle on, they weren't going on to answer the questions they were just peddling their own Bullshit and FUD, Malcolm especially is notorious for bullying his way through a debate and pushing his parties agenda without adequately answering questions.
Except she was stopping them when they wernt waffling. Malcolm was giving context for his answeres and making points she just didnt seem to understand. Then said he was getting to technical, when talking about fttn vs fttp? Come on that shit was embarrassing. now theres also a bunch of fucking idiots out there that think that malcolm said people will have to pay companies like tpg $20k a month for internet because ahe didnt fucking let him finish or ask for clarification.

senahorse

Except she was stopping them when they wernt waffling. Malcolm was giving context for his answeres and making points she just didnt seem to understand. Then said he was getting to technical, when talking about fttn vs fttp? Come on that shit was embarrassing. now theres also a bunch of fucking idiots out there that think that malcolm said people will have to pay companies like tpg $20k a month for internet because ahe didnt fucking let him finish or ask for clarification.

Just like their are people who think FTTN will offer the same speeds as FTTH, oh and the nugget of information he keeps peddling about labor's NBN costing 94 billion.

edit: IF there was a real debate with industry people, and moderated correctly, MT's fraudband wouldn't have a leg to stand on, of all the faux debates we have seen on the NBN so far this is one of the best, albeit still very inadequate.

Just like their are people who think FTTN will offer the same speeds as FTTH, oh and the nugget of information he keeps peddling about labor's NBN costing 94 billion.
But she cuts him off when hes explaining it. Then that fucking quip of "no ones smarter than you malcolm" fucking grow up.

Yes my point really was that shes a terrible moderator and half the people there didnt know what the fuck they were talking about. Someone should fix how debates work. That is to say have a real one not whatever it is that passes off for a debate these days

I agree, he was making preposterous statements and throwing out figures without any explanations as to where he got them from. Cocoa pops reference by Albanese was apt.

He also kept on going on and on about houses being 400m from the node getting very high speed. What about those that live 450m away?

senahorse

I am not saying Albanese isn't at fault, but MT wasn't going on to explain something properly because his arguments fall apart time and time again after analysis, he was just doing his typical cherry picking of data to strenghten his un-winnable argument. MT's typical debate stance goes like this:

1. Blast Labor for their delayed 94 billion dollar NBN
  2. Then state his faster cheaper alternative as if it's as good as Labor's plan
  3. Continue Waffling
  4. Get cut off for waffling, and whinge about it
  5. Other party starts talking and then try and talk over the top of them

MT is a very intelligent business savvy bully in a bad position trying to sell a lemon.

But she cuts him off when hes explaining it. Then that fucking quip of "no ones smarter than you malcolm" fucking grow up.

Yes my point really was that shes a terrible moderator and half the people there didnt know what the fuck they were talking about. Someone should fix how debates work. That is to say have a real one not whatever it is that passes off for a debate these days

Debates in this country aren't debates for the most part, they are a farce.

Shaneus

This guy believed breaking bad is totally ripping off the old tv show, laverne and sherly.

Could be potential spoilers since he mentions how the original show ends, for some reason Nathan Fillion tweeted it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/breakingbad...ing_bad_is_laverne_shirley_with_meth_instead/

I haven't watch any of the show aside from the first few episodes, So I look forward to reading how it all ends. If the guy on reddit is right, that shit would be hilarious.
Best theory I read on Breaking Bad is that somehow the ending winds up with Walter entering witness protection, changes his name to "Hal" winds up as the father in Malcolm in the Middle.

senahorse

Labor also are doing a terrible job of selling their NBN, so much so that the average person think they are getting the same thing with the coalition but faster and cheaper, when you read their "60 page corporate plan" it is full of nonsense, misinformation and many assumptions. It's a big shame where we will end up because of this, i.e. the digital divide will only become greater.

N0VAM0D

Hey AusGAF, it's been a long time since I've posted here - or anywhere on GAF. I have been browsing occasionally, though!

Anyway, I have a question. I'm 18, and so I'm voting for my first time this year. What luck, hah. I'm still in the process of understanding Australian politics, and I think I'm generally okay with most of it. However, I'm still sort of confused about the voting system and how it works. Is it possible someone here can help me out?

Labor need to hire a proper marketing and PR firm to get their shit in order. it's like amateur hour over there.

Hey AusGAF, it's been a long time since I've posted here - or anywhere on GAF. I have been browsing occasionally, though!

Anyway, I have a question. I'm 18, and so I'm voting for my first time this year. What luck, hah. I'm still in the process of understanding Australian politics, and I think I'm generally okay with most of it. However, I'm still sort of confused about the voting system and how it works. Is it possible someone here can help me out?

Howdy! Jump in the Election thread! Not sure if enrollment is closed yet.

Rezbit

Labor also are doing a terrible job of selling their NBN, so much so that the average person think they are getting the same thing with the coalition but faster and cheaper, when you read their "60 page corporate plan" it is full of nonsense, misinformation and many assumptions. It's a big shame where we will end up because of this, i.e. the digital divide will only become greater.

Australia is going to be a digital basketcase for years if Liberal get in :(

REad the pamphlets candidates send out. Find someone you like and vote in the order they tell you to. It was all pretty straight forward once you get there.

not going near that thread but...

You generally go to a polling station (generally a public school) in your electorate, get in a line, give your name and you are checked off the electoral roll. You are given a ballot for House of Reps and and a very long piece of toilet paper which is the ballot for the senate.

for house of reps uses preferential voting. Put a '1' in the box next to the name of the candidate you most want to win the seat, Put a '2' in your second preferred candidate and so on until you have ticked ALL of the boxes, even One Nation. Tick all of the boxes and do not write anything else on the ballot otherwise it won't be counted (donkey vote or informal vote).

Senate- you can put a 1 above the line in the candidate of your chose or you can fill in ALL of the boxes below the line the same as you would for house of reps. I did that once. Once.

House of Representatives is the lower house. Which ever party has the most members forms government. The PM is the leader of the party that has the numbers to form a government in the lower house. Your local MP represents the electorate for a 3 year term you live in. Legislation is tabled in the lower house. If it passes, it goes off to the Senate

Senate is the house of review. A lot more candidates but you can vote for any of the candidates in your state. The Senate can block legislation since, most of the time, neither major party controls the senate. Here's where minor parties and independents generally have more influence. Terms are six years, generally staggered (ie depending on the timing of the election, you generally only have a half senate election).

Does that clarify things?

N0VAM0D

not going near that thread but...

You generally go to a polling station (generally a public school) in your electorate, get in a line, give your name and you are checked off the electoral roll. You are given a ballot for House of Reps and and a very long piece of toilet paper which is the ballot for the senate.

for house of reps uses preferential voting. Put a '1' in the box next to the name of the candidate you most want to win the seat, Put a '2' in your second preferred candidate and so on until you have ticked ALL of the boxes, even One Nation. Tick all of the boxes and do not write anything else on the ballot otherwise it won't be counted (donkey vote or informal vote).

Senate- you can put a 1 above the line in the candidate of your chose or you can fill in ALL of the boxes below the line the same as you would for house of reps. I did that once. Once.

House of Representatives is the lower house. Which ever party has the most members forms government. The PM is the leader of the party that has the numbers to form a government in the lower house. Your local MP represents the electorate for a 3 year term you live in. Legislation is tabled in the lower house. If it passes, it goes off to the Senate

Senate is the house of review. A lot more candidates but you can vote for any of the candidates in your state. The Senate can block legislation since, most of the time, neither major party controls the senate. Here's where minor parties and independents generally have more influence. Terms are six years, generally staggered (ie depending on the timing of the election, you generally only have a half senate election).

Does that clarify things?

That's fantastic. Thank you.

Omikron

Papers, Please really is some tight design, everything you are presented with is or can be important at any given time, nothing is wasted.

REad the pamphlets candidates send out. Find someone you like and vote in the order they tell you to.

Eh I wouldn't do this. In all likelihood I'll pick up a how to vote card, have a quick look at it and then ignore it.

Anything else you wanted to know that hasn't been explained already?

I'd suggest to not just blindly follow how your family votes. (Might seem obvious but it's disheartening how many people do this)
Have a good idea of who you want to vote for beforehand so you don't turn up and after nominating your primary or primary and secondary etc you just pick the rest randomly.

My God is there really so many first time voters? Stop making me feel old AusGAF :(

It's my 3rd federal election.

It isn't my first time voting but first federal election. Go TeamHanson

Shaneus

Haha yeah he mentioned that when he was on the Colbert report.
Oh, nice! I only read it through someone on Twitter. That it got as far as getting acknowledgement from Bryan Cranston is pretty rad.

Finally started playing Antichamber. My brain. Amazing game though.
I'm still yet to decide if anything has taken that game off my #1 GOTY spot.
It's a headfucker, ain't it? Still haven't finished it, though.

You guys catch up with the dude at PAX? I was surprised to see that he was some kind of hipster dude.

jambo

In non political news, the Review Board have released the full report on the Saints Row IV RC decision

http://www.classification.gov.au/Ab...ion report - Saints Row IV - 31 July 2013.pdf

The Review Board said:
Drug Use—During the course of the game, there is an option for a ‘side mission’ where the Player can achieve an unlimited sprinting power or superpower. Having acquired alien narcotics, the Player then has to inhale the drugs to gain the necessary superpower. The game directly links drug use to incentives and rewards. The fact that at another point in the game, these superpowers can be acquired in a different manner is irrelevant to the fact that in this option the drug use directly achieves the incentive of acquiring superpowers.

Though the drugs are referred to as ‘alien’ their usage is represented in a realistic manner using realistic drug taking methods. The means by which the drugs are obtained from a street dealer parallels reality. The dialogue of the Player and other characters underlines the link between the drug use and the achievement of superpowers e.g. “This alien shit should give us an edge” (spoken by a female character).

Top Bottom