• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Omikron

Arguably Munchkin is incredibly 'nerdy' with its DnD spoof theme etc. But I think Danoss pretty much covers it, there are so many damn options out there for gateway games, than Munchkin just seems so much of a mess.

For me a board game works best when you are having to make interesting decisions most of all. Munchkin doesn't have this.

Kritz

Banned
I think I'd really like a game with a few of munchkin's elements (loot collection, dungeon crawling, monster slaying), but with a cooperative focus and maybe map exploration / random map generation.

I guess at that point I'm asking for like, board game DnD that can last for 1-2 hours and doesn't require a DM.

--

On the flip side, I've really been loving Zombicide which I picked up a few months ago, and also Settlers of Catan which I've been playing quite a bit with family. I think they're both pretty awesome, although Zombicide struggles a bit with some really quite overpowered characters / abilities that make some other characters completely redundant.

RIP MS Points.

We are excited to announce that, as part of the next Xbox 360 system update, Microsoft Points will be retired, and transactions on Xbox will take place using your local currency instead of Microsoft Points. The monetary value in your Microsoft account will be stored in local currency, offering you a new, convenient way to purchase exciting Xbox content. This change allows you to use a single Microsoft account to purchase games, movies, apps, and entertainment from your favorite Xbox stores - or the Windows Phone Store for users with a Windows Phone 8!

Hey, I'm looking into getting a polariod camera and since a few of you know camera things I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

I love how subtle newscorp is.

The worst part of my day is accidentally reading their headlines when I pass the newsstands.
Yeeeep. The daily "HEY KEVIN SUCKS" headlines are pretty hilarious though. They've really lost their touch. I mean, they weren't great to begin with, but all I can see when I look at those headlines is "noooo I'm melting!".
As a side note, I finally got my parents to cancel their Australian subscription.

I think I'd really like a game with a few of munchkin's elements (loot collection, dungeon crawling, monster slaying), but with a cooperative focus and maybe map exploration / random map generation.

I guess at that point I'm asking for like, board game DnD that can last for 1-2 hours and doesn't require a DM.

That sounds pretty cool really! I'd play that.

Speaking of, I'm off to play 1830 over the Ekka holiday this week. Pretty excited, but the time frame is a little daunting @_@ 9 hours...

Jintor

Gotta watch Joe Goddamnit Hockey complaining about regulation for uni. Blarrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. (Not for propaganda purposes, just to see how people whine about regulation)

Gazunta

I just learned Breaka chocolate milk and Oak chocolate milk are made at the same factory. My whole life is a lie.

Has anyone here been to OzComicon?

jambo

I just learned Breaka chocolate milk and Oak chocolate milk are made at the same factory. My whole life is a lie.

Has anyone here been to OzComicon?

Been to Oz Comic-Con in Adelaide and Melbourne. Had a great time, although the Melbourne show suffered from terrible line issues and overselling tickets.

Danoss

A few members of my gaming group have been looking for something like that for years.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to exist (at least to the level that would be expected of such a thing). Some think that the D&D board games like Castle Ravenloft do the trick, while others disagree. Dungeon Lords has everyone play their own version of Dungeon Master, filling their dungeon with traps and monsters, while competing with other players for resources to do so. Afterwards, the adventurers come in and wreck the place. Dungeon Run kinda does what you want, but looks like it is utter shit. D&D has essentially been turned directly into a board game with Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2E), but still requires a GM to run the pre-written scenarios and linked campaign. Sounds like it can break rather easily, even though it was redesigned to prevent that, it just doesn't break as badly now it seems.

None of these do what you're looking for and you're absolutely better off just running whatever PnP RPG you want instead. There are some games that rotate who plays the GM or set who is the arbiter for the rules on certain topics so everyone has the opportunity to play. The only one that I know of which does this in a purely GMless fashion is Fungeon, but I know nothing more than that. For the rotating GM, maybe Labyrinths & Lycanthropes might be close enough to work, and I definitely want to give it a closer look. Agon does this in a competitive fashion and Blood Red Sands looks like it will do something similar in a different setting later this year.

Hell 4 Leather does GMless play, but has nothing to do with dungeon crawling or medieval-style combat. I'll just quote the blurb.

You were the meanest most badass SOB around. Everything was tight – you rode with the Devil's Dozen – toughest chapter going. No fucker messed with you.

Except…

Your 'buddies' screwed you. Life is cheap.

What's a little murder between pals?

But... You cut a deal with the Devil. You got one night – Devil's night – to exact vengeance. You're gunna show those bastards what a REAL Angel of Hell can do.

When the rooster crows, your chance for revenge is over - you've gotta go Hell For Leather!

Sounds rad to me. Murdered bikie back from the dead on a murderous rampage.

Hey, I'm looking into getting a polariod camera and since a few of you know camera things I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

I know Polaroid itself isn't a thing anymore, the name was sold and can be slapped on anything the owner desires these days.

If you're looking for an instant camera, I'd say look at the Fujifilm Instax range.

The most basic is the Instax Mini 7s, though I think it is a bit too much so. The Instax Mini 8 is a step above the 7s and if you want a cheaper option, this would be the way to go. The Instax Mini 25 is better again and comes with a close-up lens in the package and has auto exposure options, unlike the 7s and 8 with manual settings you have to keep an eye on. The Instax Mini 50 is an improvement on the 25 with a slightly better close-up lens, better flash, self-timer and tripod mount. It costs more for this of course, but is a great choice.

Note that the Instax Mini 25 and 50 use CR2 batteries, while all other models use AA batteries. This may be a big deal, depending on how you plan to use it. In a nutshell, for the cheapest option, go the Instax Mini 8; for very decent go the 50; for the biggest photos as a result and size is not an issue, the Instax 210. My pick would be the Instax Mini 50.

Film is the pricey part as I'm sure you'd imagine. The price varies depending if you need Mini or Wide, but you can buy them in varying size bundles on Ebay for a bit better value (Mini and Wide). Be mindful of the type of film as there are a few types, the Instax 210 is the only one that takes Instax Wide film, the rest use Instax Mini film (and there are different styles besides regular, like Hello Kitty frames and shit instead of plain white, so keep an eye out).

Hopefully I've not made that overly complicated as I often do. If I have, let me know.

Agyar

Has all the worst mechanics in board games combined into one:

- Pile on the leader
- Random card draws
- Distinct lack of any long/short term strategy due to the above point
- Terrible art*
- Terrible humour*

*subjective.

Agreed. Munchkin sucks.

Gazunta

Thanks Clive / Shan / Jambo. I'm just trying to figure out if I should be getting interested in having an artist's alley table when they open their Brisbane show next year since I'll have new books ready.

Or I could stay home and draw more comics about Street Fighter / Dogs who are also Presidents

Have you played Cut-throat Caverns. Not really what you're asking for but it has loot collection and monster slaying, with a slight co-op focus. You have to work together to kill of the monsters but you're trying to be the last one to kill it so you get the loot. If you don't work together to kill it though, you'll probably all die.

Kritz

Banned
Have you played Cut-throat Caverns. Not really what you're asking for but it has loot collection and monster slaying, with a slight co-op focus. You have to work together to kill of the monsters but you're trying to be the last one to kill it so you get the loot. If you don't work together to kill it though, you'll probably all die.

sounds like my dota 2 last hitting strategy

I know Polaroid itself isn't a thing anymore, the name was sold and can be slapped on anything the owner desires these days.

If you're looking for an instant camera, I'd say look at the Fujifilm Instax range.

The most basic is the Instax Mini 7s, though I think it is a bit too much so. The Instax Mini 8 is a step above the 7s and if you want a cheaper option, this would be the way to go. The Instax Mini 25 is better again and comes with a close-up lens in the package and has auto exposure options, unlike the 7s and 8 with manual settings you have to keep an eye on. The Instax Mini 50 is an improvement on the 25 with a slightly better close-up lens, better flash, self-timer and tripod mount. It costs more for this of course, but is a great choice.

Note that the Instax Mini 25 and 50 use CR2 batteries, while all other models use AA batteries. This may be a big deal, depending on how you plan to use it. In a nutshell, for the cheapest option, go the Instax Mini 8; for very decent go the 50; for the biggest photos as a result and size is not an issue, the Instax 210. My pick would be the Instax Mini 50.

Film is the pricey part as I'm sure you'd imagine. The price varies depending if you need Mini or Wide, but you can buy them in varying size bundles on Ebay for a bit better value (Mini and Wide). Be mindful of the type of film as there are a few types, the Instax 210 is the only one that takes Instax Wide film, the rest use Instax Mini film (and there are different styles besides regular, like Hello Kitty frames and shit instead of plain white, so keep an eye out).

Hopefully I've not made that overly complicated as I often do. If I have, let me know.

Thanks! I think I might go for the 50, or the slightly cheaper 25. Can I ask what the implications of different batteries would be? Would it be unwise to purchase something off of ebay? The prices seem to be cheaper (and the range wider) but if it breaks it'll probably end up being a huge pain even with warranty.
And yes, the adorable film is definitely a plus. It's kinda pricey but given the style and that it would only be for special occasions I don't think it's that much of a problem.

--

On the flip side, I've really been loving Zombicide which I picked up a few months ago, and also Settlers of Catan which I've been playing quite a bit with family. I think they're both pretty awesome, although Zombicide struggles a bit with some really quite overpowered characters / abilities that make some other characters completely redundant.
That exists. I got board game dnd thinking it was more like regular dnd. Its 100% what you described

Danoss

Thanks! I think I might go for the 50, or the slightly cheaper 25. Can I ask what the implications of different batteries would be? Would it be unwise to purchase something off of ebay? The prices seem to be cheaper (and the range wider) but if it breaks it'll probably end up being a huge pain even with warranty.
And yes, the adorable film is definitely a plus. It's kinda pricey but given the style and that it would only be for special occasions I don't think it's that much of a problem.

AA batteries are widely available, the other CR2 batteries are slightly harder to find. The real difference is if you needed batteries in a pinch, AA would be easier. I recommend just buying a charger and a bunch of rechargable CR2 batteries from DealExtreme. I bought this charger and these batteries to use in torches and my digital light meter. If you can't be bothered with rechargeables (and I couldn't blame you if you don't use them often) maybe just grab them in cheapo packs like this, or source them when needed from a local shop. I think the better cameras in that range are worth the mild inconvenience of obtaining the different batteries.

I'm not sure what prices you're seeing on Ebay for these cameras, but after looking at DWI (which ships out of HK, and has been great in the past) who have them for $145 and comparing them to local prices, you're probably better off buying here. Georges has them for $149 here, which seems great looking at the other options I've seen.

jambo

Thanks Clive / Shan / Jambo. I'm just trying to figure out if I should be getting interested in having an artist's alley table when they open their Brisbane show next year since I'll have new books ready.

Or I could stay home and draw more comics about Street Fighter / Dogs who are also Presidents

You should do an Artist's Alley table at Oz Comic-Con Adelaide >_>

Just spammed some friend invites on steam, bugger you if you don't accept :)

Do I get one?

jambo

Is that any good?

I had a great time with the missus and some mates. Dressed up and had some photos taken. Bought a few comic books, a TF2 Pyro figurine, some posters and a few original pieces in Artist's Alley.

Got some photos with Jonathan Frakes and he signed some pictures and even had a quick chat to the missus about her shoulder/arm tattoo.

Also had some pictures signed by Sean Astin and a quick chat. He was so lovely to everyone and stayed about an hour later than his allotted time to sign everyone's items. We also bonded over our first names and the abuse we have received thanks to them.

The panels were also really good, both funny and informative. Jonathan Frakes was definitely the highlight, randomly breaking in to song or walking up to the aisles to sit down next to people asking questions. Astin was also great.

One of the highlights of the show though, turned out to be meeting Sean Schemmel. If you don't know, he voiced Goku in the Funimation dub of DBZ and he was one of the nicest people I've ever met. He was so happy just to be in Australia, never thinking his voice acting gig would land him at conventions all over the world.

Melbourne was also good, but it was a bit fucked on the first day thanks to bad organisation that resulted in lines just spilling out everywhere. Plus they were letting people walk up and buy tickets to get in on the day and get in before the people who had lined up for 2-3 hours.

Seeing Patrick Stewart was amazing though, totally made up for the fuckery.

The 2013 ones were great as well, although because it was our second year we didn't look at as much stuff in the booths and just stuck to doing panels, signings and photos. If all of the panels we wanted to go to were on one day we probably wouldn't have bothered going both days.

Shatner's panel was great, altough he only did about 5 questions over the full hour as he went in to great detail and rambled a bit. He made up for it though, by reading some poems from Banjo Patterson's collected works. Plus the man is 82 and still travels the world to see fans.

Richard Dean Anderson was also great, really funny and sarcastic. He was a bit overweight, but still ran around and acted crazy. Answered a tonne of questions and really gave you some great insight in to what it was like to work on MacGyver and Stargate. He was also great when we saw him for signings and photos, really enthusiastic and bubbly, definitely not faking it.

I also managed to nab another DBZ voice actor, in the form of Christopher Sabat.

I'd recommend going at least once, as long as the celeb list interests you.

That would almost be worth going to in order to see William Shatner live.

http://www.ozcomiccon.com/guests.aspx

my non-gaming convention experiences were Conquest in the 80's. They were all fucking awful.
I went to one in the 90's where George Takei wittered for an hour on about trying to get a passport.

Cons these days are waaaaaaaaay ahead of what we used to get. people complaining about PAX didnt pay money to see Hugh Borg.

Dead Man

I had a great time with the missus and some mates. Dressed up and had some photos taken. Bought a few comic books, a TF2 Pyro figurine, some posters and a few original pieces in Artist's Alley.

Got some photos with Jonathan Frakes and he signed some pictures and even had a quick chat to the missus about her shoulder/arm tattoo.

Also had some pictures signed by Sean Astin and a quick chat. He was so lovely to everyone and stayed about an hour later than his allotted time to sign everyone's items. We also bonded over our first names and the abuse we have received thanks to them.

The panels were also really good, both funny and informative. Jonathan Frakes was definitely the highlight, randomly breaking in to song or walking up to the aisles to sit down next to people asking questions. Astin was also great.

One of the highlights of the show though, turned out to be meeting Sean Schemmel. If you don't know, he voiced Goku in the Funimation dub and he was one of the nicest people I've ever met. He was so happy just to be in Australia, never thinking his voice acting gig would land him at conventions all over the world.

Melbourne was also good, but it was a bit fucked on the first day thanks to bad organisation that resulted in lines just spilling out everywhere. Plus they were letting people walk up and buy tickets to get in on the day and get in before the people who had lined up for 2-3 hours.

Seeing Patrick Stewart was amazing though, totally made up for the fuckery.

The 2013 ones were great as well, although because it was our second year we didn't look at as much stuff in the booths and just stuck to doing panels, signings and photos. If all of the panels we wanted to go to were on one day we probably wouldn't have bothered going both days.

I'd recommend going at least once, as long as the celeb list interests you.
Sounds good. If next years is any good it might be a good time for the long threatened RadGAF meetup.

jambo

Even though I typed so much, I added some more.

Totally forgot that there was a 2012 and 2013 event in Adelaide. They had melded in my mind for some reason.

jambo

Convince the organizer's of OCC to fly me out as a guest and I'm there :)

But I though the Pop in Pop Culture was short for popular?

ywtdFIK.gif

<3

Bernbaum

To use 'quality of board/card games' as a metaphor for the quality of board/card games, Munchkin is the Monopoly of board/card games.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
just went through every party in the victorian senates policies pages.

cross posting from the poligafaus thread

I'm also reading the policies of every party.

edit: I'm going to update this with pros and cons for every party.

Animal Justice Party
Pro: arent telling us to be vegans.
Con: too much link clicking, i just want a nice one page overview plz. it's not the worst but it's annoying, didnt' read much more than their dingo policy and their farming policy.

Here's my favourite part so far from the Australian Christian Party

Regarding refugee intake in general, we believe Australia should re-balance the refugee intake to reduce the number of Muslim refugees and take more persecuted Christians form various African countries.
Not getting my vote

Australian democrats:
7 clicks in and i havent found a policy yet, just more links to more sub headings. Not getting my vote (when I eventually get to one its a fucking giant pdf doc. fuck that)

Australian Independants
Really easy to get to the policies. good policy page, bold header, text, bold header text.
Snappy overview has sold me, many policies i agree with, few i disagreed with of the ones i skimmed. will vote for!

Australian Labour Party
cbs reading

Australian Sex Party
best overview page to date, simple effective. but perhaps too simple. they don't really seem to discuss or care for any big picture items (the environment etc)
will vote for, but not top priority. hope they do well though, good policies present.

Citizens Electoral Council
I think I just got teleported to 2003, this website. damn.
needs some animated GIFs

holy shit these guys are insane LOL. PUT AT BOTTOM OF LIST DO NOT VOTE FOR.
but view their website, it's amazing: http://www.cecaust.com.au/
they have a section on violent videogames under art and culture!

Country Alliance

i'm greeted with a white family fishing, what's not to like?

their 2nd policy: Boat Ramps: We want to double their number.

SOLD.

nothing here that really matters to me, but nothing that offends me either, clearly got their targets and trying to help out their people.

Democratic Labour Party
no real policy overview page is a bit annoying. they have a list of things they wish me to read... but i cant be bothered.
randomly selected a page: " we support the rights and duty of parents to discipline their children."

beat the fuckers! now there's a policy.

drug law reform party
one policy, one agenda, all good, no issues but not one i worry about.

family first party
think climate change is fake.lol no vote.

HEMP Party Australia
the help end marijuana prohibition party

they get bonus points for their name.

Katters Australian Party
People say he's crazy, I had a quick overview, nothing seems too outlandish with what theyre putting forward (reduce ownership of supermarkets bycoles and woolies, give us backguns! lol.
this page is hilariously blank: http://www.ausparty.org.au/issues/government-services.html

also seems ok, some one find me the crazy please.

found it! hallal supports terorrism!

Liberals
CBS reading. lizard man.

One Nation Party

ILLEGAL BOAT PEOPLE FACTS:

...on average 100 people a day arrive

&#8230;they arrive in Indonesia with a passport to enter the country

&#8230;80% plus destroy passports and identification papers before entering Australia

...the boat people as reported, pay up to $20,000 to people smugglers for passage to Australia

&#8230;2013-14 Illegal boat people will cost Australian taxpayers $2.8 Billion if lucky. To date estimated cost $12 Billion plus

&#8230;supply of cigarettes to illegal boat people $1.5Million a year <--- LOL

&#8230;supply of telephone and charges $5Million to the taxpayer

Not one reference. WHERE ARE YOUR REFERENCES? fucking hell. reference wikipedia at least!

They also amusingly have "more coming soon.." listed on their policies page. bit late?

Palmer United
Nothing suss here! (and im being serious, these policies all sound fine. but he's listed like 5 sentences lol.)
no mention of dinosaur theme parks is a bit disheartening.

like katter, please find me the crazy? otherwise he seems fine.

Rise Up Party - keep australia australia

lots of non white people in their banners! they must be good people!

anti gay marriage.. there has to be something else here though. im so confused by this party. so many non white people.. yet it's all WHITE POWER!

Secular Party

Ithink these are good people? I can't work it out though.

something just SEEMS SINISTER.

Stable Population Party

seem a bit anti boats.. but they're also anti bogans having 10+ kids.

so they're just... anti large population!

seem like an alright mob.

Greens

cbs reading

The Nationals

YOU HAVE A VIDEO THAT AUTOPLAYS ON YOUR SITE FUCK YOU YOU PIECE OF SHITS. NO VOTE.

wikileaks

julian assange! lololol

Shaneus

Got my Vita card! Definitely genuine and I'm definitely still alive.

You can all breathe a sigh of relief now... I know you were worried.

PS2 will last for 13 and a half years. A 13.5 year generation. Insanity!

ElgCz.gif

It all started with Ridge Racer 5 (and like 4 rushed From Software titles) on March 4th 2000
It will end with FIFA 14 (after some Bollywood tie-in game along with yet another FFXI expansion pack) on September 27th 2013

xL7rw.gif

With emerging markets as advanced as they are these days, as well as self publishing being so open on PS4, I don't expect there to be many (if any) late stragglers like the Dreamcast has had.

Also today I realised PGR4 is 6 years old. :/
And even Blur is 3 years! :/

Don't read this unless you've seen the latest episode.
I can't believe hank knows and has confronted Walt already. This season should be spectacular.
(Breaking Bad discussion)
I know! I love how this show doesn't beat around the bush. Instead of drawing out a will they/won't they cat and mouse game, they've gone with the thermonuclear option. Bravo!

And that opening? Hot damn!

holy shit
so i just watch lateline, turnbull and albanese talk about fttn
if tony were to step down by his own will and let turnbull sit in the bigboy chair i think they would win by a landslide
dont want to pull a alp though and start backstabbing
anyway that emma lady that hosts it is terrible, she watched the newsroom and said "i want to cut people off and make them answer questions" but she keeps cutting people off when they are getting to the main point, also talking like megabit and gigabyte are crazy future words that no one knows the meaning of
also if the rest of that shit wasnt enough tonights display clearly shows how bias abc are

Top Bottom