• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

thats like 4 games tho, one for every 2 months it's been out!

But I already own Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 and NSMB DS and NSMB Wii and LEGO Batman and LEGO Batman 2 and LEGO Indy and LEGO Indy 2 and LEGO Harry Potter 2 and LEGO Star Wars OG and LEGO Star Wars ShitG and LEGO Lord of the fucking Rings and LEGO Jack Sparrow

At least 101 looks a little different, even though I have zero interest in buying it after playing the demo.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
But I already own Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 and NSMB DS and NSMB Wii and LEGO Batman and LEGO Batman 2 and LEGO Indy and LEGO Indy 2 and LEGO Harry Potter 2 and LEGO Star Wars OG and LEGO Star Wars ShitG and LEGO Lord of the fucking Rings and LEGO Jack Sparrow

At least 101 looks a little different, even though I have zero interest in buying it after playing the demo.

Lego City Undercover is nothing like those.

it's pretty much the best GTA clone available.

So the Korean film festival (KOFFIA) is on in Brisbane this weekend and I just got back from seeing the most beautiful film called "approved for adoption" (Trailer). It's about a boy who was adopted into a Belgian family, and it's half animated, half filmed documentary.

It's on in Sydney and Melbourne over the next couple of weeks so I really hope you'll check it out. They're showing a whole range of movies. You can see the whole list here: http://koffia.com.au .

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So the Korean film festival (KOFFIA) is on in Brisbane this weekend and I just got back from seeing the most beautiful film called "approved for adoption" (Trailer). It's about a boy who was adopted into a Belgian family, and it's half animated, half filmed documentary.

It's on in Sydney and Melbourne over the next couple of weeks so I really hope you'll check it out. They're showing a whole range of movies. You can see the whole list here: http://koffia.com.au .

Might see it, depending on whether I'm free on September 9th (I recall making a commitment to one weekend in that month but I'm not sure which one). Plus I'll make it a film marathon day of sorts if I see it - and see France Ha's at a arthouse cinema near-by afterwards.

Looking through the films on that line-up most of them look wholly unappealing - "approved for adoption" looks like the only interesting one imo.

senahorse

I only paid $200 for the big pimpin edition WiiU and I still cry myself to sleep :(

On that note I need to give up alcohol and smoking for the next month to afford GTA5. Will be totally worth it. Trying to convince the wife that our son was born on the 28th so I have enough time to finish GTA before needing to throw that gala event.
Not going well.

I don't think I would even bite at that price for a current gen system with no games I am interested in, still waiting for a Nintendo "system seller" before I even consider it. Though at this stage I don't know what that could be, maybe, only maybe mario kart, they seem to have lost their with kart racers (sega now have the best karting franchise imo). Not mario, because I still have SMG2 here to play, maybe Zelda?, well I still have Skyward Sword to play. Who knows maybe they will surprise me yet.

Yeah that's a good point, the competition has overtaken or at least caught up to most of the Nintendo staples.

Pikmin is still unique enough, as a hybrid of a few genres that are well served on the PC but we never saw a cheap indie homage to Pikmin on the PC which is odd.

Platformers are still the bread and butter of Nintendo hardware, most other companies have expanded them with elements of other genres but Nintendo have instead polished them down into very tightly focused ones with the emphasis on level design and multiplayer, which gives them a very nice niche to operate out of.

markot

Banned
Yeah that's a good point, the competition has overtaken or at least caught up to most of the Nintendo staples.

Pikmin is still unique enough, as a hybrid of a few genres that are well served on the PC but we never saw a cheap indie homage to Pikmin on the PC which is odd.

Platformers are still the bread and butter of Nintendo hardware, most other companies have expanded them with elements of other genres but Nintendo have instead polished them down into very tightly focused ones with the emphasis on level design and multiplayer, which gives them a very nice niche to operate out of.

BRAIN DAMAGE

markot

Banned
Labor to cut tax benefit for parents who don't immunise children
By Eliza Borrello

The Federal Government will announce parents who choose not to have their children vaccinated will miss out on thousands of dollars in tax benefits.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd will announce that those who do not vaccinate their children will not get the Family Tax Benefit A end-of-year supplement.

The payment is worth $726 per child, per year and is paid when children are vaccinated at one, two and five years of age.

Labor will shut off the payment to conscientious objectors, who can currently still claim the tax benefit if they register.
WATTTTT

Hitler.

I don't want to spoil myself, games comin out in lee than a week.

Mao Pol Pinochet.
I'd hold off on playing the full game and make as much use out of the demo as you can. By the looks of the release schedule (from Vooks) there isn't really much to play for the rest of the year...

In all seriousness, I can't believe that this is what Nintendo is going into the holiday season with:

Aug 22 - Disney Infinity (Wii U, Wii, 3DS)
Aug 22 - Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Wii U)
Aug 24 - The Wonderful 101 (Wii U)
Aug 29 - Rayman Legends (Wii U)
Sep 05 - Disney’s Planes: The Videogame (3DS, Wii, Wii U)
Sep 12 - Turbo Super Stunt Squad (Wii U, 3DS)
Oct 05 - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
Oct 16 - Skylanders Swap Force (Wii U, 3DS)
Oct 18 - Sonic Lost World (Wii U/ 3DS)
Oct 25 - Batman: Arkham Origins (Wii U)
Oct 31 - Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Wii U)
Nov 05 - Call of Duty: Ghosts (Wii U)
Nov 13 - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Wii U, 3DS)
Nov 21 - Watch_Dogs (Wii U)
Dec 07 - Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)

I've only missed two Nintendo home consoles in my time (NES and GameCube) and this looks like it may be the third. Apart from Wonderful 101, the only interesting exclusives on that list are Zelda and Mario, the former being something that I can play on my Wii (or Dolphin) if I wished. It's bloody dire, especially when you consider that most of the other games can be played on existing consoles, even it the game pad does add something to selected games i.e. Watch_Dogs and Rayman.

So are all of the other games they revealed in the recent Nintendo Directs 2014 games?

Dead Man

So I need to get SR4 for PS3, but I need to be able to play with a friend in the UK, the only way to do that is to import, right? OZGameshop the winner then?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Food/meal tips go go go. Looking to polish up my diet a bit to lessen the weight intake. I'm on a pretty strict budget too, so affordable = good. Bulk not a problem as that means I have leftovers and less money spent in the long run.

So I need to get SR4 for PS3, but I need to be able to play with a friend in the UK, the only way to do that is to import, right? OZGameshop the winner then?
We're the same region as the UK, so buying it here or from England shouldn't matter. Does it matter?

OzGameShop: $59.99
Zavvi: £37.84
EBGames: $88.00

Zavvi is too risky, especially if you want it quick.

OzGameShop is the cheapest but will take a week or so to arrive.

EBGames is the most expensive but you'll get it straight away. Its also the least un-Australian option there. You'll support the Australian economy, support local businesses and workers PLUS help a huge, soul-sucking American conglomerate. Best of both worlds!

Edit: Big W will have it for $78 it seems.

Dead Man

We're the same region as the UK, so buying it here or from England shouldn't matter. Does it matter?

OzGameShop: $59.99
Zavvi: £37.84
EBGames: $88.00

Zavvi is too risky, especially if you want it quick.

OzGameShop is the cheapest but will take a week or so to arrive.

EBGames is the most expensive but you'll get it straight away. Its also the least un-Australian option there. You'll support the Australian economy, support local businesses and workers PLUS help a huge, soul-sucking American conglomerate. Best of both worlds!

Edit: Big W will have it for $78 it seems.

Thanks chaps. :)

Sucks because the Kiwis get their own awesome edition with a flag and a hat and the alien drugs and everything!

158290_detail_v2.jpg

Not fair :(

Would only buy on clearance any way, like the SR2 pizza box edition which was $20 one day

Food/meal tips go go go. Looking to polish up my diet a bit to lessen the weight intake. I'm on a pretty strict budget too, so affordable = good. Bulk not a problem as that means I have leftovers and less money spent in the long run.
whatever, make your own food, cut down on processed foods

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/
taste.com.au

if you have a tablet, load these websites up and stick the tablet in a recipe stand

also get some cookbooks. Trust me, its worth getting to grips with cooking. A lot of the better cookbooks these days have tips for how to do simple basic things that a lot of starter cooks get wrong (ie overheating oil, not setting the oven at the right temperature, etc)

you want a cookie or a slice of cake? make it. Probably way less fat that the packaged stuff.

Might see it, depending on whether I'm free on September 9th (I recall making a commitment to one weekend in that month but I'm not sure which one). Plus I'll make it a film marathon day of sorts if I see it - and see France Ha's at a arthouse cinema near-by afterwards.

Looking through the films on that line-up most of them look wholly unappealing - "approved for adoption" looks like the only interesting one imo.

Yeah, I guess it really depends on whether you're interested in Korean films. The "family" ones looked interesting (but I was working), and I might end up seeing the Oceans 11 rip tonight if I get time, but otherwise nothing really appealed. I really recommend approved for adoption though. I think it managed to hit a soft spot for everyone in the audience. Plus it had this awesome stop motion short made out of noodles beforehand!

I'm making shakshuka for the first time right now. I'll let you know how it goes. If it's nice, is should be a reasonably cheap meal and easy to make (and it looks like the sauce will freeze for easy after work meals).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/ - the food looks pretty and it should be healthy. So maybe check that site out and see if there's anything there you can do.

Bookmarkerooony.

whatever, make your own food, cut down on processed foods

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/
taste.com.au

if you have a tablet, load these websites up and stick the tablet in a recipe stand

also get some cookbooks. Trust me, its worth getting to grips with cooking. A lot of the better cookbooks these days have tips for how to do simple basic things that a lot of starter cooks get wrong (ie overheating oil, not setting the oven at the right temperature, etc)

you want a cookie or a slice of cake? make it. Probably way less fat that the packaged stuff.

Bookmarkeroony v2. You misunderstand, though. I can and do cook, often, and quite well. I'm instead looking to better my cooking skills towards foods that are less carby. I'll need to dig into my houesmate's cookbook archive, given she's a vegetarian and knows her shit.

Cut carbs.

Cheers, and yeah, that's what I'm looking for.

I'm making shakshuka for the first time right now. I'll let you know how it goes. If it's nice, is should be a reasonably cheap meal and easy to make (and it looks like the sauce will freeze for easy after work meals).

Yes! Please, do!

Danoss

Slow-cooker meals, stir-fry and soup will become your best friend. They're all relatively cheap to make, result in a lot of food and will be a very healthy diet with the right ingredients.

I'll tell you what my doctor told me. It's not necessarily what you eat, but how much of it you eat. Of course there are things that are best avoided for better results. Like Bodyboarder said, cut out carbs (not entirely); to expand on this, rice, bread, pasta and the carb heavy vegetables (potato, sweet potato, pumpkin ad the like) are one's to avoid if possible. You don't have to eliminate these things entirely from your diet, but it is best if you do.

If you still want some of the above the total serve of it on your plate should be quite small, smaller than the palm of your hand. Same goes for meat, only have a little and surround the rest with vegetables. Go to town on the vegetables, but don't overdo it, be sensible and keep your meals much smaller. It'll be tough to start with, but your stomach will adjust and it'll be easy to do. If you want something between meals then a piece of fruit is fine to sate the hunger, but no more than 2 pieces per day.

As for drinks, water is your best friend here. Stay off soft drinks, it's bad news. You can have milk, but make it low fat milk and don't have a lot. Other dairy is not a great idea either, especially cheese.

Stick to this and exercise for 30 mins daily and you'll be laughing. You don't have to do a crazy amount of exercise, a brisk walk which is enough to break a sweat for the 30 mins will do.

If the above advice is useless to you and you just wanted recipes, I apologise, I'll leave it here in case it's useful to anyone else. I don't have a lot of my recipes typed up because I just wing a lot of it. I'll give you what I have.

Beef Chow Mein

Ingredients
500g mince steak
1 large carrot
1 big handful of beans
1 medium brown onion
1 large clove of garlic
1 half head of cabbage
1 packet chicken noodle soup
1 handful of rice (uncooked)
3 cups hot water
tomato sauce
soy sauce
curry powder
pepper

Preparation
Dice carrot, onion and garlic
Slice beans
Shred cabbage

Method
Heat oil and place onion, carrot and beans in a large-ish pan.
Cook until onions are golden.
Throw in garlic.
Place mince meat in, breaking it up and cook until brown.
Grind some pepper on meat while cooking.
Pour in packet of soup and water, stir through and bring to the boil.
Throw in handful of rice.
Drop hot plate to a fast simmer.
Place shredded cabbage in and cook until cabbage wilted and carrot and beans are cooked (usually 3-4 mins at this point).

After above is done
Squirt some tomato sauce in.
Pour in some soy sauce.
Sprinkle in some curry powder.
Adjust to taste (I usually put about the equivalent of 2-3 tablespoons of each in to begin with, then continue to add in curry powder to taste).

Slow Cook Curried Sausages

6 Thick sausages
3 cloves garlic
2 sticks Celery
1 large Onion
2 large or 4 medium Carrots
5-6 Small potatoes
Handful Green beans
Salt
Pepper
Cumin
Paprika
Curry Powder
Worcestershire sauce
Small tub tomato paste (150g)
400mL Coconut Milk (light)
Beef Stock cubes
Corn flour (optional)

Dice celery and onions, finely dice the garlic. Loosely chop the carrots and potatoes. Slice the beans. Throw all prepared vegetables into slow cooker. Generously crack pepper over them and grind only a small amount of salt.

Mix 2x beef stock cubes (I use Massel brand, which these cubes would normally make 1L of stock) into 250mL (1 cup) of boiling water. Add paprika, cumin, pepper, worcestershire sauce and (plenty of) curry powder and stir. Add in the small tub of tomato paste and whisk until blended. Pour the coconut milk in and give a good stir until it is smooth. If you want some more sauce just add another 1/2 cup of water i, it won't noticeably reduce the flavour.

Pour the above mixture into slow cooker, mixing well and then add and submerge sausages. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.

The sauce may not have thickened enough by the time it has cooked. You may remove the lid 30 mins or so before it is due to be ready to allow this to happen. I usually find this is not enough and instead use some corn flour to thicken it to my liking, mixing some sauce with the corn flour in a separate cup before pouring in and stirring through.

Recipe should easily halve if less food is desired. Reduce amount of sausages and increase amount of vegies if less meat is preferred.

Vegetable Soup

3-4 med-large carrots
2 large sticks celery
2 large swede
2 large parsnip
2 cloves garlic
1 large onion
8 cups beef stock (I use massel brand for a vegetarian acceptable soup)
1 bay leaf
400g tin diced tomatoes
pepper

Slice celery, finely dice garlic. Dice all other vegetables into about 1cm cubes.

Put aside garlic, throw some olive oil a large saucepan and add vegetables on a medium heat. Pepper well. Cover with a lid and cook for about 15 mins or until all vegetables have softened but retain their shape. Add garlic and stir though.

Add beef stock, diced tomatoes and bay leaf and stir. Cover and drop to a simmer for at least 30 mins, but longer is preferable for a more flavoursome soup.

Leftovers can be frozen for later use.

Didn't have my soup recipe written up, so I did it just for you. Now you have one of each of the type of recipes that will help with cheap eating and weight loss. Hope it's somewhat useful to someone if you've got others you're happy with.

You hitlers are goading Nintendo. But guess what. Nintendo is Russia. And Russia wins in the end. Hitler.
So you're admitting it. If Nintendo is Russia, then you're saying that the WiiU is their winter; cold and desolate, a landscape of featureless death. No games, no life, nothing but their piles of money to see them through until the summer.

Yeah, I agree with you.

Slow Cook Curried Sausages
You should look into making a cassoulet. It's basically a slow-cooked white bean stew with sausages and/or duck confit on top. My god is it glorious. Going to look into making one with just chicken sausages or roasted duck in the next month or two before winter runs away, but it's definitely edible in summer.

0316b07ae23b11e2b49e22000ae91347_6.jpg

Jintor

So you're admitting it. If Nintendo is Russia, then you're saying that the WiiU is their winter; cold and desolate, a landscape of featureless death. No games, no life, nothing but their piles of money to see them through until the summer.

Yeah, I agree with you.

And it always wins

Top Bottom