• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

America exchange students quickly learnt that calling it a case got them a beatdown realllllll fast.

Also the establishment would force them to drink Fosters for the rest of the week.

Fredescu

A slab is not the same thing as a case or a carton. A slab has one layer of beer, usually cans. If you use them interchangeably you're every bit as bad as people who use "jam" interchangeably with "song".

A slab is not the same thing as a case or a carton. A slab has one layer of beer, usually cans. If you use them interchangeably you're every bit as bad as people who use "jam" interchangeably with "song".

From Wikipedia:
A carton of 9 litres of beer in stubbies (24 bottles) became known as a "slab" because, compared to the more cube-like shape of the "traditional" cartons, they were flatter and hence like slabs.

So I guess carton/case should only be used for longnecks/bombers/etc.

What if my band only knows one song and we like to play it repeatedly for hours, nonstop?

We be jammin', dawg. Why you be down on us?

Fredescu

So I guess carton/case should only be used for longnecks/bombers/etc.

Do stubbies even exist anymore? I don't think I've seen one since I've been drinking age.

What if my band only knows one song and we like to play it repeatedly for hours, nonstop?

We be jammin', dawg. Why you be down on us?

If you can manage that, chances are you're pretty high, which means the chances of it being a note for note rendition are pretty low. Therefore there is some degree of improvisation, and therefore you're jamming.

Do stubbies even exist anymore? I don't think I've seen one since I've been drinking age.
Pretty sure VB ones still do. Maybe XXXX as well? Don't see them in Vic much. The point is that the lower height of the stubbies (and cans) is the reasoning for the name.

Also, Mountain Goat just released their line of cans in time for summer!

I know you guys joke about Hitler and all but this sounds shady as fuck

Nine News Darwin was given a tip-off late yesterday that a Customs vessel would dock in Fort Hill Wharf in Darwin Harbour and managed to capture footage of the refugees being offloaded from a ship before being placed in a bus that had its curtains drawn.

It is the first boat arrival under the Abbott government's controversial new policy which only releases information to the media and public until they are dealt with and shipped out.

"I don't have the ability to say anything on that as you know from the policy announced a few days ago," the spokesperson was quoted as saying.

Also look forward to this every day for the next 3 years, gutless lazy fucks
When asked if the Indonesian objections were an indication that much needed to be done to change Jakarta's opinion, the minister opted to blame the Labor Party for leaving "a complete mess in border protection".
"The current laws under the Labor government only encourage people smuggling so there is a lot of work for us to do."

Shaneus

a slab is defined as a carton.

therefore it's carton
Slab of VB:
I4585Pv.jpg

Carton of VB:
Sd9lLWe.png

Well lah-di-dah Mr. I-Brew-My-Own-Beer.

I know you guys joke about Hitler and all but this sounds shady as fuck

Also look forward to this every day for the next 3 years, gutless lazy fucks
Couldn't have said it better myself. Great choice of words, and amazingly appropriate.

Give this man a brofist, stat.

hamchan

So Valve announces their new hardware and we still don't know anything new about it other than that there'll be multiple specs to choose from.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So Valve announces their new hardware and we still don't know anything new about it other than that there'll be multiple specs to choose from.

Expected though to be honest, it's just an announcement that they are doing shit.

I can't see steamOS really working at this stage, it's going to be like trying to convince someone who has used Microsoft office for 10 years to switch to open office. They will just look at you and ask why, there's really no point in making it your main application.

For a HTPC though it's perfectly fine and that's what it is aimed at. Should be interesting to see how much latency is on the streaming setup.

Rahk

Expected though to be honest, it's just an announcement that they are doing shit.

I can't see steamOS really working at this stage, it's going to be like trying to convince someone who has used Microsoft office for 10 years to switch to open office. They will just look at you and ask why, there's really no point in making it your main application.

For a HTPC though it's perfectly fine and that's what it is aimed at. Should be interesting to see how much latency is on the streaming setup.
Yeah, it's built for the living room so I don't think they're expecting anyone to use it as a primary OS. I'm sure some people will dual boot to play around with it though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yeah, it's built for the living room so I don't think they're expecting anyone to use it as a primary OS. I'm sure some people will dual boot to play around with it though.

Yes and no thought they do believe Linux is the future of pc gaming and it's why they are doing this crazy Endeavour.

While now its your living room they clearly hope people will switch over to our completely in the coming years.

Dse 50% off Nintendo stuff. Good luck finding stores with stock though.

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/117642

Wotcha!

If anyone wants to pick up a Wii U (hears crickets), I know, I know..but on the off chance someone does...Dick Smith is selling them for half price.

So you can pick up a Wii U for $214

Source: Ozbargain.

Note, ends Monday.

I've never even seen a WiiU or WiiU game at the store down here! Had to go 100km inland into the bush to buy my one ages ago lol

Arksy

Would there be any chance of a price match with other stores? People on Ozbargain saying they're basically all out already...not sure how though.

Fredescu

I assume it doesn't lack a desktop mode though, right? I was thinking of running it as a main OS, dual booted with Windows as a backup.

Fredescu

Would there be any chance of a price match with other stores? People on Ozbargain saying they're basically all out already...not sure how though.
It's printed in a catalogue so I'd say there's a slight chance, if you can find a store that won't ring to check stock levels.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So AMDs conference was .. Interesting to say the least. No price though on the high end card, Which doesn't surprise me at all. They tend to do that.

Oh well, Upgrade can wait until the end of the year or early next. No rush yet.

Humble Mobile Bundle 2 (for Android) is out, and has:
Punch Quest (pretty good), Bloons TD 5, Time Surfer (made in Melbourne), and Star Command. BTA for Ravensword: Shadowlands and Carmageddon.

I assume it doesn't lack a desktop mode though, right? I was thinking of running it as a main OS, dual booted with Windows as a backup.
If it's fast to boot, I could see a lot of people dual booting. Assuming it's easy to setup. Alternatively, I wonder if we'll start to see games coming out on say a bootable DVD or USB stick with SteamOS preloaded so when you start the game it just quits out of Windows (or whatever) and boots into SteamOS specifically for that game.

It's Wii backwards compatible only (no GameCube) and I'm pretty sure it comes with a HDMI cable!!

I do love the ad, though. 50% off. Now $214. Save $214! Thanks, Dickie!

I'm half tempted but have ultimately talked myself out of it. There just aren't enough games right now. At this point, I'd probably only get Lego City, and it's a number of months before anything more else compelling comes out.

I'm getting better at realizing that saving money now is not always the better alternative to potentially spending more money in the future.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If it's fast to boot, I could see a lot of people dual booting. Assuming it's easy to setup. Alternatively, I wonder if we'll start to see games coming out on say a bootable DVD or USB stick with SteamOS preloaded so when you start the game it just quits out of Windows (or whatever) and boots into SteamOS specifically for that game.

I would doubt it but you never know, I think it's really designed to be a online only box with a hard drive. It's why streaming is so important to the device and steam being steam. They want to remove the physical aspect of what you're buying.

I imagine it's Ubuntu with some tweaks which will make it into the standard kernel and it just boots into big picture mode. It's going to be a very updated big picture mode since they intend to support things like local media streaming, spotify and so on.

Look it could be awesome. If you're going to build a gaming only PC that sits in the corner and you only use it for games, then excellent. if we get next gen titles ported over to linux with killer opengl support and even AMD mantle support then you could have a serious winner.

The issue is going to be publishers like EA who will want to bring them across but will require origin. Ubisoft is now using Uplay as a steam/origin front so I imagine they will have to do the same.

It's going to take a fuck load to convince those guys to spend time and money on porting applications and games from windows to linux.

It's why SteamOS feels like a valve and friends only thing and will probably stay that way for a good while.

Rahk

Yes and no thought they do believe Linux is the future of pc gaming and it's why they are doing this crazy Endeavour.

While now its your living room they clearly hope people will switch over to our completely in the coming years.
Yeah, that seems to be the direction they're moving in for the future. For now, it seems like they just expect people to get a cheap Steam machine for the living room to play the available Linux games and stream other games from a Windows PC. The OS will keep evolving though.

They're kind of light on details so far, so who knows. I was thinking it could just be designed purely as a console-like experience based on their emphasis that it is designed for the TV and living room, but I guess it would need a desktop mode for people that want to continue playing games with keyboard/mouse. Also, until they get more support there's still going to be a lot of games you won't be able to play on SteamOS unless you stream them from a Windows PC.

Arksy

I'm so glad that Valve is fighting hard to bring gaming to Linux. Gaming is the only reason I'm not jumping ship.

I am not a programmer, but I remember some people far more knowledgeable than I in this area said bringing gaming to Linux was really hard and kind of gimped because OpenGL sucks compared to DirectX.

Is this true?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm so glad that Valve is fighting hard to bring gaming to Linux. Gaming is the only reason I'm not jumping ship.

I am not a programmer, but I remember some people far more knowledgeable than I in this area said bringing gaming to Linux was really hard and kind of gimped because OpenGL sucks compared to DirectX.

Is this true?

From my understanding, OpenGL is actually "ahead" of directx in terms of features. Things like tessellation were done a good while back on OpenGL but no one really used it for a good while.

Carmack was a big driving force behind GL over DX since he believed it was the better choice and it is, Except there's no really good documentation for it so it is more difficult to program for.

In theory, Valve could come along and actually make Source 2 OpenGL only and update the documentation and make the tools used for the engine to be more user friendly which would get more people messing around with OpenGL.

It just essentially fell to the wayside years ago and no one really bothered to try and use it for any AAA titles. I think ID Tech 5 was OpenGL based and that's the last major engine that I know of, Off the top of my head.

Top Bottom