• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Many horror stories? A few tradie mates used to do repair work for public housing, a few stories made you lose faith in people.

lol well. Off the record yes. Daily.

They aren't all bad though. Like, 25% are terrible people probably. Working responsive maintenance means you mainly come across the people who make a mess or feel comfortable calling up a hotline to get someone else to fix their house. This doesn't really include the people who have unavoidable issues (like HWS breaking down, which is really hard to mistreat thankfully!) so some tradies have it easier than others.

Generally though the tradies are treated really well by tenants, after all they are the ones who are doing a job for them for free. Also the tradies can only do what is requested of them by Housing so if a tenant has some beef over not getting something fixed they will rage at Housing, not the contractor who has no choice in the matter. Most tend to settle into the work and hit upon different strategies for getting in the tenants good books, sometimes with hilarious results!

Having a bad run in the courts down here this past fortnight where 99% of people are from public housing though which is depressing. I would tar everyone with the same brush, plenty of nice people out there but we rarely hear from them. Although this week was bad with the cops needing to be called on a few of them, as well as one contractor being racially abused well beyond usual levels.

There is a fuckload of money to be made though if you can knuckle out what parts of work you lose money on and profit from. Most importantly, recession proof! People break shit quicker than it can be fixed so most tradies take much, much lower rates to take on public housing work as it is a constant flow of tons of work.

You just need to put it out of your mind that it is all tax payer dollars, otherwise you get sad again :(

Hot chocolate Friday!
20130927_085742.jpg

It's their "console" OS i guess you could say, There's stuff behind the hood but all you're going to really see is big picture. If you want to quit and go back to the desktop then that's an option.
I don't think so, at least not in the sense you're thinking/suggesting. Having the desktop underpin Big Picture Mode, or whatever, is kind of pointless. In Windows the desktop still runs in the background while a game runs, and that all the services and crap that goes along with it is why it takes so many resources. If SteamOS does away with all that and only runs game-specific stuff, that's part of the reason they'll get so much better performance. I really hope they don't take the easy way with it being an "OS that's kind of good for games" and more of a " OK, you want to play a game, I can do that. Word processing? See the other guy" type system.

Trying to think the last time I paid $60+ for a video game... Perhaps a football manager a few years back?
I hadn't paid more than $40 for a game for two years until GTA V!

Trying to think the last time I paid $60+ for a video game... Perhaps a football manager a few years back?

I think my last one was GW2 about a year ago. When you can wait a few months and get games like Tomb Raider/Bio Inf. etc... at $10 through steam it does tend to make me a little gunshy.

Danoss

I was thinking about this and I think and I think I have figured out the appropriate in-universe response to wanton acts of violence or destruction against the innocent. The clear result of this would be an application of Obligation of the Crime variety to local authorities.

I think it's actually much simpler than that. It can be boiled down to various aspects of the social contract.

So my official time to finish GTA5 is about 30 hours in game time, spent twice as much time as Michael than Trevor!

Now time to hit the stockmarket! Pißwasser has hit an all time low of $2.25 from around $27 a week ago! Buy buy buy!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Pikmin and w101 are pretty dual screen intensive, I'd go with rayman first to familiarise yourself before you start multitasking 3 armies in pikmin... 1 with the wiimote on the tv, one on the gamepad and then a 3rd to switch to.

jambo

I was reading up on some patch notes and it's awesome I got NSMBU after they added Pro Controller support, as I picked one up for half price yesterday.

Mortal Kombat Legacy season 2 released on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZLTS4u9M_2rYRUMj5RoI016wS_JxRnGE

All 10 episodes!

You can make a billion $ in GTA5 via the stock market but what's the point? The most expensive properties are useless and don't produce income, and there's nothing to spend that money on. I hope it carries over to GTA online, but probably won't since R* looking to capitalize with microtransactions for in game cash.

No Michael Jai White :(

LNC or BAWSAQ?

Need to get in on that.

BAWSAQ. Just checking it online now. Wish I could buy shares through RGS!

Just because the country club is useless doesn't mean I don't want to own it!
You're talking to the guy who buys hundreds of video games and never plays them!

Well, that was a productive lunch break.

Picked up Zombi U for $29 from EB and a second hand copy of NSMBU for $39 from JB. Now I just need to order a Pro Controller from Ebay, and I'll be set for a while.

I found a place doing boxed Wii U Pro Controllers delivered for $29. Are there any better deals around?

Arksy

Mortal Kombat Legacy season 2 released on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZLTS4u9M_2rYRUMj5RoI016wS_JxRnGE

All 10 episodes!

You can make a billion $ in GTA5 via the stock market but what's the point? The most expensive properties are useless and don't produce income, and there's nothing to spend that money on. I hope it carries over to GTA online, but probably won't since R* looking to capitalize with microtransactions for in game cash.

Holy shit. Thanks :D :D :D

FUME5

Rockstar have said that your cash does not transfer between GTAV and GTAO.

Dryk

Since Harvest Festival was cancelled, oztix refunded my tickets just now so I went and bought:

Rayman Legends
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3

which to play first??!
I chose Pikmin. I'll be buying Rayman off Steam soon enough though, I only played through Origins for the first time over the last few weeks.

legend166

Well, that was a productive lunch break.

Picked up Zombi U for $29 from EB and a second hand copy of NSMBU for $39 from JB. Now I just need to order a Pro Controller from Ebay, and I'll be set for a while.

I found a place doing boxed Wii U Pro Controllers delivered for $29. Are there any better deals around?

Where's that place?

Just imagine the number of beers that money could have bought you, and despair.
I've started finding ciders I actually really enjoy that 1) aren't super dry, 2) don't taste like lolly water. Also the wife seems to enjoy dry ciders. The ones I've found I like are often from normandy and brittany.

Not every game I buy get played, but every beer I buy gets drunk.
I've got beers that've been in my cupboard for years. :)

Jintor

God damn OT thread has me reading a surprisingly good John Constantine/HP crossover fanfic. It's like I'm 17 again, only I'm doing tax law at the same time.

Jintor

Fuck, don't start talking about Law. I deal with Law students all day every day and would prefer not to think of you guys like that.

Is attendance mandatory for this course? :B

Tax law is boring. Boringgggg!

Also it is theory based >.< Why do you think the commish keeps issuing those rulings?!

sure, but in application all I need to do is "Oh, TR whatever, apply to thingy, gtfo". No need to ponce around wondering if restorative or retributive or responsive regulation blah blah blah zzzzz...

Arksy

Is attendance mandatory for this course? :B

sure, but in application all I need to do is "Oh, TR whatever, apply to thingy, gtfo". No need to ponce around wondering if restorative or retributive or responsive regulation blah blah blah zzzzz...

Fuck yeah. Retribution. WOOHOO!!

lol well. Off the record yes. Daily.

They aren't all bad though. Like, 25% are terrible people probably. Working responsive maintenance means you mainly come across the people who make a mess or feel comfortable calling up a hotline to get someone else to fix their house. This doesn't really include the people who have unavoidable issues (like HWS breaking down, which is really hard to mistreat thankfully!) so some tradies have it easier than others.

Generally though the tradies are treated really well by tenants, after all they are the ones who are doing a job for them for free. Also the tradies can only do what is requested of them by Housing so if a tenant has some beef over not getting something fixed they will rage at Housing, not the contractor who has no choice in the matter. Most tend to settle into the work and hit upon different strategies for getting in the tenants good books, sometimes with hilarious results!

Having a bad run in the courts down here this past fortnight where 99% of people are from public housing though which is depressing. I would tar everyone with the same brush, plenty of nice people out there but we rarely hear from them. Although this week was bad with the cops needing to be called on a few of them, as well as one contractor being racially abused well beyond usual levels.

There is a fuckload of money to be made though if you can knuckle out what parts of work you lose money on and profit from. Most importantly, recession proof! People break shit quicker than it can be fixed so most tradies take much, much lower rates to take on public housing work as it is a constant flow of tons of work.

You just need to put it out of your mind that it is all tax payer dollars, otherwise you get sad again :(

Yeah once you've found your niche you're set. A mate does work on the aboriginal communities up north and he makes a killing. Though for what he puts up with I wouldn't do it.

Yeah once you've found your niche you're set. A mate does work on the aboriginal communities up north and he makes a killing. Though for what he puts up with I wouldn't do it.

Yeah Aboriginal Housing is basically a blank cheque for anything that needs doing. They have a bottomless budget it seems. Can be hard to deal with the tenants but everyone I have met administratively have been fantastic, at least they care about the societal impact of their jobs a hell of a lot more than regular Housing workers (although that most likely comes down to unfair governance from high above).

Speaking of beer, I just passed 100 different beers (and cider) tried on untappd since signing up. Almost exactly a year ago.
I passed 500 uniques recently. Not sure if I should be proud or ashamed! Though I follow people with 1500+, so that makes me feel a little better...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I've cracked!

I signed up to untappd, let's see how many I can do by the end of the weekend.

Edit: I will be sure to add every beer at the qantas club as they will be free.

Top Bottom