• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Lock up your kids QLD!

There has been a public outcry over the Supreme Court in Brisbane's decision to release notorious sex offender Robert Fardon from prison.
Fardon, 64, has spent most of his adult life in prison after being convicted of numerous sexual offences against women and children.

The Court of Appeal ruled Fardon remain in jail pending the current hearing, in which witnesses can be called to determine whether a different supervision order would adequately protect the community.
Justice Peter Lyons is hearing the case and says he is willing to release Fardon on a date to be fixed, subject to a supervision order.

During his annual sentence review this week, two psychiatrists testified that Fardon represented a moderate risk of reoffending if he were to be released under a strict supervision order.
The Supreme Court heard Fardon had previously been assessed as a psychopath by Australian standards.
But one psychiatrist told the court he is less likely to reoffend due to his age as the risk of someone in their 60s committing rape is lower than someone in their 30s.
How big is the sample size on that 'people in their 60's trying to commit rape' study?

It cuts fucking deep :(

ku-xlarge.jpg

In 2012, just eight weeks before E3, George Lucas dropped a bombshell: instead of starring a generic bounty hunter, 1313 would be helmed by the iconic mercenary Boba Fett. Some staffers tried to push back—they’d spent over two years working under an entirely different vision—but Lucas and his team of executives wouldn’t reconsider. They wanted a game with Boba in it.

Created because George Lucas wanted to compete with the gargantuan Call of Duty series, First Assault was originally a large-scale [MP] shooter set in a time period after Return of the Jedi, according to two people familiar with the game.

[Version Two] grew from the remnants of a project code-named Wingman that was going to be a Wii U title modeled after the old TIE Fighter and X-Wing games.

Sources describe Chau as the gatekeeper for George Lucas, and two high-level ex-LucasArts employees both said she had a tight control on Lucas's schedule. She would run rehearsals with the staff before they could meet with Lucas, sources said, and she would micromanage what the team could say and when they could say it.

Later, when Far Cry 2 designer Clint Hocking joined LucasArts, he and a small team spent a year and a half designing their open-world game—a "wonderfully complex game driven by choice and consequence" that never quite got the resources it needed

LucasArts axed an Indiana Jones game for Xbox 360 and PS3 that had been in development for years, according to people familiar with the project.
The company also shut down a 2D physics-based shooter called Caveland that was meant to be an experimental digital title, like the sidescroller Lucidity before it.

LucasArts Singapore was working on a remastered version of the classic point-and-click game Day of the Tentacle, according to three people familiar with that project. Like the special editions of the first two Monkey Island games, released in 2009 and 2010, the remastered Day of the Tentacle would be pseudo-3D, with remade background art and cut-scenes redone to run at 30 frames per second. One person familiar with the project pegs it at 80% done.

There was Smuggler, a game designed for cross-platform multiplayer that would let you play as a customizable character within the Star Wars universe, smuggling and trading between Facebook, tablets, and consoles.P

There was Outpost, the Star Wars take on Zynga's FarmVille that would let players build empires, one click at a time.P

There was Death Star, the iOS game in which you'd get to control your very own version of the Empire's iconic space station.

What made LucasArts different was the studio's tendency to cancel finished projects—games like Death Star and Outpost had already gone through QA testing and were very close to being shipped, according to two sources.

EA had considered buying the storied studio up until a combination of factors—like the SimCity disaster and CEO John Riccitiello’s departure—led to the deal falling apart. More people have come forth to corroborate those EA negotiations, and according to two high-level sources, EA's deal would have financed both 1313 and First Assault—LucasArts would've stayed where it was, working under EA supervision.

:(

Danoss

Lock up your kids QLD!

How big is the sample size on that 'people in their 60's trying to commit rape' study?

My dad's older than this guy and had a nasty car accident a while ago which caused a shit-tonne of micro-strokes in his brain. He recovered brilliantly and is still going strong, building stuff at home and renovating sections of the house, as well as his day job. This is after saying he'd take it easy and just pay someone to do what he wanted done after he redid the entire bathroom and made it look a million dollars.

Might be a good idea to find out the name of that psychiatrist so no one goes to them. Ever.

hamchan

Yeah I really want to try the Steam Controller. Always appreciate new experiments in input methods. They're really hyping up the haptics.

that steam controller gif was in perfect time with the music on the radio the second I loaded Ausgaf.

I'm a little ambivalent was to what the controller is actually meant to do better than a twin stick, or even the wii U gamepad. it is different, I will certainly give them that.

lexi

Banned
Hyped as hell for that controller. Haters can go play their moderately refined controllers and leave innovation to the master race.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
that steam controller gif was in perfect time with the music on the radio the second I loaded Ausgaf.

I'm a little ambivalent was to what the controller is actually meant to do better than a twin stick, or even the wii U gamepad. it is different, I will certainly give them that.

Everything because twin sticks are god damn garbage.

I used to be someone who thought the DualShock controller was the best thing ever. Good god I was so wrong, The thing is awful and the dead zone stick aiming bullshit is just atrocious. I have to turn on auto-aim in GTA5 because attempting to actually shoot on a dual stick makes me wanna kill myself.

If this ends up being a good medium between a twin and mouse, Then i'm seriously all for it.

Warrnambool yo, knocking up bombs for the hell of it

Brett Neil Butler, 40, of Hopkins Road, Warrnambool, appeared in Warrnambool Magistrates Court yesterday charged with burglary and theft at a Hopkins Road milk bar where he had previously worked. Concerns for the accused being released are heightened after it was discovered that the accused built the explosive device that he admits to making only a week ago

Detective Senior Constable Wheeler said that about 12.30am Thursday the Hopkins Road milk bar, located across the road from where Mr Butler has been living, was burgled.
She said Mr Butler had jemmied the rear roller door to gain access and stole 17 cartons of cigarettes valued at $2200.
He also stole Leila Rose and Good Friday Appeal charity tins, which were both nearly full.

While at the property police officers located what appeared to be a home-made bomb in the garage.

Detective Senior Constable Wheeler said the device consisted of a can and a glass jar strapped together with duct tape. Wires that appeared to be linked to a battery and a pull string were attached. The policewoman said a liquid capsule usually found on a spirit level was also attached. Detective Senior Constable Wheeler said the Bomb Squad came to Warrnambool early yesterday to assess the device. She said the jar contained a number of nails and screws and it was eventually dismantled.

Detective Senior Constable Wheeler told the bail justice Mr Butler planned to travel to Queensland in three weeks to see his children. She said Mr Butler had two prior offences for failing to appear on bail and there was a warrant in Queensland for his arrest.

Also, violence against women. We say, sure why not. Do it again and again and again. No problem.
Repeats like clockwork. No one gives a fuck.

Rahk

That thing looks huge. Will it come with wrist supports like professional 10pin bowlers wear?
I think it just looks like that because there's nothing to show the scale. Here's an image of what seems to be the prototype controller and it looks to be about the same size as a 360 controller.

prototypes.jpg

Thanks, Rahk :)

I'm not as impressed, anymore. I've been waiting for a company to work outside the constraints of traditional sized controllers and deliver something big enough that a family of 5 could camp in for a long weekend.

Preorder cancelled.

markot

Banned
I have a great name for Malaysia if we ever go to war with them or anything.

Malaiseya.

Get it?

Also if I was an Asian philosopher and released a book I'd call it 'morally wong' but my last name would have to be wong. Or first. I think it'd sell well.

markot

Banned
I think women are bad.

Proof? James Cameron.

His two worst movies are the biggest movies ever. Just because of sex.

Not terminator 2 or aliens. Titanic and avatar.

It also proves women are more depraved sexually. As does 50 shades of grey.

Tony Abbott was right.

Btw stupids, it crowd.

Shaneus

So, did anyone hear any of Tony Abbott's speech at the North Melbourne breakfast this morning? What a complete and utter fuckhead.

senahorse

Urgh, why do I read comments on news sites for articles related to climate change, the ignorance is astounding. It always results in, "it's a hoax, I know better than 97% of all scientific studies because Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones told me so"

Shaneus

Omg tell me what Tony did you assed face hitlerian goomba!
No link, heard it on the radio. He said something like "All I know is, Jeff Kennett is a pretty good guy. I don't know what his curse is, but I hope it doesn't come into play on today's Grand Final and that everyone plays well".

For those that don't know, "Kennett's Curse" came into play a few years ago when Hawthorn beat Geelong in a GF, Kennett said something stupid and until last week, had "cursed" Hawthorn into losing every game against Geelong since. So absolutely fucking nothing to do with Hawthorn vs. Fremantle.

Dipshit.

Bernbaum

I had to google which teams were in today's grand finals in order to make small talk with my butcher/barista/bottlo guy down at the shops. I also had no idea that both GF's were on this weekend.

Bernie Bernbaum: AusGAF's constant finger on Australia's cultural pulse.

GO LAKERS.

lexi

Banned
I had to google which teams were in today's grand finals in order to make small talk with my butcher/barista/bottlo guy down at the shops. I also had no idea that both GF's were on this weekend.

Bernie Bernbaum: AusGAF's constant finger on Australia's cultural pulse.

GO LAKERS.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Danoss

Just 12 hours remain on the current Bundle of Holding.

4 games; 3 campaign/scenario books; a GM advice compilation; and a years subscription to adventure seeds, inspiration and twists on existing material and creatures. All for the excellent GUMSHOE system and giving you the ability to play in your own space opera, personal horror, mutant crime investigation or spy thriller.

Current average price for the lot is $13.53, only $3.53 over the minimum price. Last chance to get some great games for yourself and aid cancer research.

markot

Banned
Just 12 hours remain on the current Bundle of Holding.

4 games; 3 campaign/scenario books; a GM advice compilation; and a years subscription to adventure seeds, inspiration and twists on existing material and creatures. All for the excellent GUMSHOE system and giving you the ability to play in your own space opera, personal horror, mutant crime investigation or spy thriller.

Current average price for the lot is $13.53, only $3.53 over the minimum price. Last chance to get some great games for yourself and aid cancer research.

GAME BOARD

BOARD

BOARD

BOARDDDDD

WATCH IT CROWDDDDDD

Arksy

Heh, I love some NFL, but it is silly as hell.

I never got to see any Ice Hockey and Basketball, but I spent way more time paying attention to baseball than I did NFL.

If anyone asked me why, I wouldn't be able to tell them. :(

It's such a boring sport, yet I...uhh..kinda' like it...

Killzone 4 MP has dedicated servers, 60fps, free DLC maps, all guns and abilities unlocked from day 1.

Seems like they got their shit together, I remember hearing back in the day that Killzone 2 MP is right up there with MW1/Halo 3 in terms of awesome MP experience.

Top Bottom