• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Arksy

Yeah. So I got DKCR today. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

Holy shit. So good!

I heard it was a decent old school DK game but it's so much better than just that. I loved DKC as a kid and this is pretty damn close to being perfect.

So the news is going on about 100km/h winds in Melbourne but I can't find anything near those speeds on BOM.

Whats the deal?

Got up to 100km/h gust here at lunch time. Some idiot didn't turn over their trampoline and it flew through a neighbourhood, hit a power pole, blew into a roof and smashed up all the tiles and trusses/eaves. Also was nice enough to knock the power cable off the house so the live wire attached to the house blew across the road onto the neighbours lawn. Safe.

So AusGAF... let's say you wanted to stalk a fellow member of AusGAF who you keep streetpassing with...

Using Jintor as a completely hypothetical, randomly and arbitrarily selected example.

HOW WOULD YOU DO IT

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. So I got DKCR today. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

Holy shit. So good!

I heard it was a decent old school DK game but it's so much better than just that. I loved DKC as a kid and this is pretty damn close to being perfect.

I really liked it too. Lots of interesting ideas and it only gets better. It never goes back to the well too many times, it's EAD Tokyo levels of "oh my god, so many ideas",

Any Destiny fans here? I was one of the winners in this IGN competition:
IGN is excited to partner with Activision and Bungie to bring you an evening in Sydney focused on one of the most anticipated games of 2014, Destiny.

The evening, taking place on October 3, will be led by special guest Dave Dunn, Destiny's Head of Art, who will give attendees an exclusive presentation on the game before answering audience questions in an intimate Q and A session. There will be special Destiny giveaways on the night and food and drink will also be provided.
I have two tickets, but my mate who was originally coming along has had to pull out. The ticket is available to any AusGAFer who wants to head along, it's from 6pm - 8pm at Pyrmont (Activision HQ) tomorrow night.

So the news is going on about 100km/h winds in Melbourne but I can't find anything near those speeds on BOM.

Whats the deal?

Got up to 100km/h gust here at lunch time. Some idiot didn't turn over their trampoline and it flew through a neighbourhood, hit a power pole, blew into a roof and smashed up all the tiles and trusses/eaves. Also was nice enough to knock the power cable off the house so the live wire attached to the house blew across the road onto the neighbours lawn. Safe.

140km/h down here in laverton/wyndham. Fallen trees everywhere, road works, traffic lights out of order, roofs blown off...

Deeku

So AusGAF... let's say you wanted to stalk a fellow member of AusGAF who you keep streetpassing with...

Using Jintor as a completely hypothetical, randomly and arbitrarily selected example.

HOW WOULD YOU DO IT
Wanna know where he hangs out irl? Cos I can totally tell you!

Shaneus

Roadshooooow!! Thanks Shaneus, now I wanna track one down and have a slap.
Have an iPhone?
http://www.pinballfinder.org/

I'm sure I'd seen the map that app points to, but I couldn't tell you where or how. Unless I'm thinking of melbournepinballfinder.wordpress.com.

Where did you buy yours from? Don't know if there is anywhere is Tassie anyway.

Pure luck, basically. I have a mate who has ~30 machines so I was always just going to borrow one of his, but I kinda wanted one of my own. Saw a guy on either Aussie Arcade or Aussie Pinball talking about how he has/had machines on location and that he lived in Geelong. Shot him a message asking if there were any around here. Said he was getting rid of (but not in any hurry) High Speed (which happens to be one of a small number of machines I was looking at getting) but wasn't in a real hurry. Told me the price, did a quick Google search of him and discovered he works at Bumper Action in Melbourne... servicing pinball machines! Had a look, saw it was in as good a nick as you'd ever find an almost 30yo-ish machine.

So now I have a pinny :D
Long story short: Check out pinball forums, you're quite likely to find someone who wants to get rid of theirs, is importing another one, that sort of thing. It seems a large number of pins selling aren't to make their seller a handsome profit, more either to a) make room because their missus cracked the sads, or b) finance another pin. Either way, that usually means they'll sell at a good price.

He's looking alright:

Qbb0ray.jpg
*snigger*

Omni

Kinda random. Any of you guys have to deal with Telstra online billing?

Can anyone tell me what I've circled actually means? It says my account balance is $231. But I haven't put any money into my account - I pay bills as they come. Does it mean that I somehow owe $231?

Ydahs

Heading home from the Steven Wilson concert. It was absolutely incredible.

If you can snap up a ticket for one of his shows, do so. You won't regret it.

Omni

Yeah, it means you owe that much.

How the hell do you manage to spend over 100 bucks/month on your mobile bill? Tons of international calls??

Actual bill is like $80 usually. Last few months I've had a 4GB data pack + have been buying songs from the Bigpond music store. Been meaning to cancel the extra data now that I'm back home.

No idea how they're getting $231 though... and due by the 18th sep? Eh. I'm 90% sure I paid the bill that was due then. IDK.

In other sad news, Tom Clancy passed away at the age of 66.

Oh, sadness. 66 is so young.

GTA Online this weekend guys? When hopefully the servers aren't broken (though they'll probably still be super broken).

I'm planning on getting on there for the first time on Saturday with some mates. On 360. Looking forward to it. Only just finished the main story the other night. Loved it.

Long story short: Check out pinball forums, you're quite likely to find someone who wants to get rid of theirs, is importing another one, that sort of thing. It seems a large number of pins selling aren't to make their seller a handsome profit, more either to a) make room because their missus cracked the sads, or b) finance another pin. Either way, that usually means they'll sell at a good price.

Sounds good. I'll have a midlife crisis soon I'm sure and go and buy one.

I'm planning on getting on there for the first time on Saturday with some mates. On 360. Looking forward to it. Only just finished the main story the other night. Loved it.
It's an XBL Gold free weekend too, so I'll be on, along with everyone else. Expect the servers to die.

Shaneus

Sounds good. I'll have a midlife crisis soon I'm sure and go and buy one.
Pfft midlife crisis. Buy one regardless. I'm dead serious when I say if you pick even remotely carefully, a machine will at least hold it's value. Don't get anything new ($6,000+), don't get anything that requires "work" and don't buy something solely on the theme (because it's usually the worst IPs that make the best games).
Edit: Rep, that battery still available online? The link you linked doesn't accept any orders :/

Oh yeah, for you guys in the Melbourne CBD: Nitrogen gelato place opens today! It's on Bourke St near Russell St. Had some last night at their pre-opening thing, pretty nice. They broke a few of the mixing paddles on the commercial KitchenAids in the 10 minutes we were there. And KitchenAids are bloody solid.

Also in other new Japan still doesn't like Wind Weaker :/

Still sold six times as much as The Wonderful 101 :(

I think the sales are okay in context. They're not that good in real terms, yeah, but it's over half of Link's Awakening DX's first week, for example, which was a significantly bigger upgrade on a much stronger platform.

Or more contemporarily it's about a third of Resident Evil: Revival Selection's first week, half of Metal Gear Solid HD Edition's and three quarters of Devil May Cry HD Collection's, all of which offer better value (two games each (well, three in DMC's case) compared to just Wind Waker) and had the benefit of the PS3's userbase being 10x Wii U's.

I keep fucking waking up at 6:30 in the morning, feeling pretty good about the sleep. Then I go back to sleep for 30-60 more minutes and when I wake up again I feel like shit! What gives! Should I just get up the first time I wake up? Just seems odd since I don't go to bed until after midnight.

Rahk

We sleep in 90 minute cycles so you are probably waking up mid-cycle the second time. It would probably be better to just get up at 6:30 if you are waking up then naturally.

Hey guys I'm sorry about last night. I haven't had access to a PC all week and I didn't see the Edge of the Empire message until this morning D: Hope you weren't waiting too long...

In other news I turned 21 today and have miraculously lost the ability to sleep in somehow. I don't think I like being old...

Omikron

Hey guys I'm sorry about last night. I haven't had access to a PC all week and I didn't see the Edge of the Empire message until this morning D: Hope you weren't waiting too long...

In other news I turned 21 today and have miraculously lost the ability to sleep in somehow. I don't think I like being old...

:<

happy birthday!

Dead Man

Pfft. 21? I'm almost twice your age and I certainly am not old :) Happy birthday though.

Danoss

Happy birthday, Shan!

Don't feel bad about missing the game last night, it happens. I was plenty late getting into the game myself, so they were waiting on me. I think we're back on for more RP on Monday.

Oh, to be 21 again... I'd happily trade the ability to sleep in (which I don't have either) for all the other shit my body has decided to start being a jerk about. Turning 32 next month myself and not looking forward to the time when the body really starts falling apart. Very little of it is surprising considering what I've done to it, but some stuff is like "oh, that's a thing now?"

Jintor

remind me to get cyborg replacement parts in my mid-20s. I'm already shooting lasers into my eye at some point so I should probably just go the whole hog

Stackboy

Any Destiny fans here? I was one of the winners in this IGN competition:

I have two tickets, but my mate who was originally coming along has had to pull out. The ticket is available to any AusGAFer who wants to head along, it's from 6pm - 8pm at Pyrmont (Activision HQ) tomorrow night.

I would, but I live in Brisbane. So keen for Destiny.

Old is 80+

Dead Man

Woo! Work is telling me I have been transferred to a new program, which has no idea of this, and I have no hours at any site, so no pay! Awesome. Fucking wankers.

Edit: Anyone know of any work going in Adelaide at the moment. Not really joking.

Alright, being an adult then I suppose. Kinda feels a bit all down hill from here.

Thanks guys :)

You have to shoot them in so you can shoot 'em out, ya know?

We should put that AusGAFPAX group photo in the next OP

I concur. That was a great shot.

Happy birthday, Shan!

Don't feel bad about missing the game last night, it happens. I was plenty late getting into the game myself, so they were waiting on me. I think we're back on for more RP on Monday.

Oh, to be 21 again... I'd happily trade the ability to sleep in (which I don't have either) for all the other shit my body has decided to start being a jerk about. Turning 32 next month myself and not looking forward to the time when the body really starts falling apart. Very little of it is surprising considering what I've done to it, but some stuff is like "oh, that's a thing now?"
Aah, I'm glad to hear that. Not sure if I'll be back in time for monday night but fingers crossed.

I dunno, even I'm starting to feel like my body doesn't want to do things it used to.

Woo! Work is telling me I have been transferred to a new program, which has no idea of this, and I have no hours at any site, so no pay! Awesome. Fucking wankers.

Edit: Anyone know of any work going in Adelaide at the moment. Not really joking.

D: I hope it's just for this week and things get sorted...

Top Bottom