• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Stackboy

Sorry to hear about the hard times you, your parents and your sister are going through rep. That has to be really difficult, to be the big brother to someone who lives their life like that. I hope your sisters finds some peace soon and realizes that you all there for her as a family.

You sound like a pretty great dad to your little fella too man. I always like your stories about what you get up to, together.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
tl;dr - my sister has a mental illness she has refused to acknowledge for years.

Yeah these looked awesome, haven't come across a site that sells them though. I get the impression it was more a proof-of-concept.

as some one else in the same boat who's spent a year following updates on courtcases and seeing if my sibling will end up spending a few years in jail. *bro fist*

I finished FC3 yesterday. It wasn't very good.

I should try and finish something else while i'm on my 1 week off. Not sure what next.
Did you get far into GTA5? That has basically eaten up all my time.

Starting to get fucking irritated by the little quirks.
Trevor cannot buy a helipad or airplane hanger in Los Santos, yet Michael & Franklin can.
Also you cannot share garages/hangers/docks between characters. Which means a lot of swapping and driving to get what you want.
Trevor is banned from the airport for life, only because he can't buy a hanger.
Cops will be called to your current location if you stand still for too long.
Cops will be called to your current location if you shoot a lone hiker in the middle of the wilderness in the back of the head with a silenced pistol.
Cops sometimes check bushes. Sometimes they don't.
Cops will search an area for way way way too long at 1/2 star. I can understand a major manhunt for 60+ seconds if you have shot someone but fuck, some scuzzy bitch doesn't like me reading my text messages standing still on a footpath and I need to hide behind a dumpster for a minute while the cops scour the area for whatever fucking thing they would charge you for? Which results in losing money and all your weapons? For standing there looking at your phone? Obama's America.
NO FUCKING INDICATORS ON VEHICLES ALSIFNSODNIFOSHIEFIOAHUWDO

Also, as someone who never really played on public servers, but knows the reputation because I've been gaming for so damn long, but still. Damn. Time from joining to first gay slur over mic was about 4.5 seconds. Time to "I'll shank you for real asshole" was about 8 seconds. Fucking teenage boys eh?
Yeah that's why I don't have a mic/headphones on consoles. Even playing L4D2 with Kritz was enough to learn half a dozen or so new racial slurs

Joking!

Also thanks everyone for the kind words about my comics. You have no idea how nice that is to hear right now.
I can honestly say that I have really enjoyed them lately. The topical ones have been brilliant, when you put a part of yourself/your life into a comic it really shows. After all, who hasn't stood on a piece of fucking Lego? That fucking hurts! Even if not Lego, every parent has stood on some kind of toy that just happens to direct trauma right into the soft, meaty spot.

Our son has taken to hiding pencils or other small, hard to notice items under rugs just to fuck with us :/

It's worrying that your sister hasn't been able to get the help that she clearly needs. Even more worrisome is that she doesn't seem to be able to have that forced upon her, as bad as that may sound, it may be the only way she can be helped. When you were telling the part where she was evaluated by the psych and they were informed about her actions not being a one-off, I thought "yes, now they'll have to help her!" It's frustrating, to say the least, that she was released given what they were told. My jaw literally dropped as I read that. It was my understanding that if someone is demonstrably dangerous to either themselves or others that action must be taken. It's part of the country protecting its citizens.
I'm just glad that the police are involved now, so hopefully they keep an eye on her and don't less shit escalate again.
I'm never shocked at how mental health is treated here, I work in an industry that profits from it so I've seen it all sadly.
Not to say we aren't making progress, we have come a long way in that regard over the last decade. Just a long way to go.

I hope you can eventually put your mind at ease about where you are in all of this and the day-to-day with you family. Although we haven't met, I am sure you're a wonderful husband and father and you don't need to question yourself there in any way. The fact that this worries you speaks volumes. We can ultimately choose who we become and choosing the right friends is integral to how we turn out. With a stable and loving home life, your son has every chance to turn out exactly as you'd hope. While this may not help, I feel it is worth mentioning.
Yeah I know, I know I'm doing the right thing but there is never a way to silence the "what if" voice in your head, even though I know it's a balancing act to keep things together regardless.

Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy David Cage 3? Might grab it after uni.
Pretty sure I linked the other day, Big W has it for $68 (if you guys have Big W down there).

Hmm. Did you grab a Vita? Pretty sure there is a MOBAlite game on there that might have been PS+.

as some one else in the same boat who's spent a year following updates on courtcases and seeing if my sibling will end up spending a few years in jail. *bro fist*

Damn that sucks man, hope things get better for them. So far it looks like a fine and maybe a good behaviour bond for my sister.

Dead Man

tl;dr - my sister has a mental illness she has refused to acknowledge for years.
Damn man, that is rough as hell. Sounds like you are doing the right thing though, you can only do what you can do. Don't apologise for the vent post, half of us have dumped one of those on AusGAF.

So one of my ancestors died in WWI and my mum thinks it's weird that I'm not particularly bothered by it. He wasn't even a young bloke, he was 39. She said "Anzac Day is going to hit so much harder now." He didn't even fight for Australia, he was English. Then she said I was terrible for not caring. She really did. More than once.

How unfortunate, he was one of 5 and a half million confirmed Allied casualties. Am I really supposed to be upset about it?

( ͡°_ʖ ͡°) But yeah, getting teary for somebody you never met is a bit weird unless they did something that personally impacted you.

Aww man, I totally want to give you a big hug.

Excellent post. I echo all the sentiments within.

I'd like to vote for Danoss as the President of AusGAF.

Seconded.

Dammnnnnnn GTA5 made $815.7 million day one. Over $1 billion within 3 days.

Also Vita people like fighters right? More work for Armature! Yay!
They could end up being the next Read At Dawn, have a big launch window AAA game for the PS5.

Also heh at those stretch goals
1a00290101bfcce1d8c49f342aa0e4f1_large.png

Apparently we get the European version of Beyond Two Souls, small amount of violence cut but all the sexyness is still there baby! (Props: Choc)

Free Sesame Street eBook type thing for iOS
$10 Blu Ray sale at JB (list of movies!)
PS3 500GB with The Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls & GTA5 for $400! Great deal.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hmm. Did you grab a Vita? Pretty sure there is a MOBAlite game on there that might have been PS+.

Damn that sucks man, hope things get better for them. So far it looks like a fine and maybe a good behaviour bond for my sister.

yeh ended up getting suspended sentences + good behavior bond for a few years.

but still. ugh

Shaneus

Holy crap dem blurays. My list maybe:
boogie nights
blade runner
children of men
clerks
con air
Elf
Gattaca
get him to the greek
Mallrats
Rock, The
Starship Troopers
Talladega Nights
This Is Spinal Tap: Special Edition
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Anyone know if the Blade Runner is the final cut or just some crappy vanilla one? I already have it on HD-DVD (shut up).

I'd like to vote for Danoss as the President of AusGAF.

Shaneus never mind your cheque where's my plane ticket to the UK?!
Screw your ticket, the only thing I'm concerned with is squeezing in your suitcase, remember?

Shaneus

Sweet. Ordered anyway.

Turns out that between Melbourne CBD and Geelong stores, I can pick up almost everything I want without having to worry about JB's shitty, shitty delivery service. The ones that I couldn't pick up I just removed from my cart, not worth the hassle.

Settled on:
Boogie Nights
Blade Runner
Clerks
Con Air
Get Him to the Greek
The Rock
Starship Troopers

Shaneus

are you sure?

ku-bigpic.jpg
Tell me that supports Move.

I thought Get Him To The Greek was pretty bleh but I'm not a huge fan of Brand.

All the others will stand up to multiple viewings though!
I liked it. I could appreciate it more than I could with, say, The Hangover (which was out around the same time, but just shitty). I also quite like Brand in small doses, and Puff Daddy's minor role in it is pretty damn funny.

Also, the dorky guy from New Girl is in it (he's the jazz guy at the magazine).

That news doesn't make me happy. Doesn't mean I'm choked up about it, either.

I saw him once give one of his "live shows / speeches / paid boasting sessions". Walked out after 20 minutes. A vile and reprehensible human being. That night I didn't know who was the greater problem: him or the crowd of people laughing at his 'comic delivery' of how he harmed and killed people. Ugh.

Rahk

Thanks for recommending The Genius, Dannos.

I started watching it at the end of last week thinking I'd just watch an episode here and there, but at about ep 3 or 4 it hooked me and I ended up watching the whole thing over the long weekend.

I've never really watched any reality game shows, but anytime I would catch bits of an episode it seemed like half of it would be spent on elimination i.e. voting out someone, interviewing everyone about how they feel etc. I appreciated that they kept elimination very simple in The Genius and focused mostly on the games/events, only having brief interviews with the core people of each episode.

Unfortunately I was spoiled on the winner by reading wiki pages for some of the contestants, but that didn't really ruin my enjoyment of it.

legend166

Awesome! Play time/item %?

6:33, 68%.

I've probably played through the game three times now up to maybe 85% completion (in terms of actually beating it, not amount of items). Once I quit in Maridia because that place sucks, and once I quit in lower Norfair cause I got stuck and didn't know where to go.

I think I'm at the point in gaming now where if I get stuck and don't know where to go for like 10 minutes I'm whipping out my phone and looking up a walkthrough. I do not have the patience or time to spend figuring stuff out any more.

Rezbit

6:33, 68%.

I've probably played through the game three times now up to maybe 85% completion (in terms of actually beating it, not amount of items). Once I quit in Maridia because that place sucks, and once I quit in lower Norfair cause I got stuck and didn't know where to go.

I think I'm at the point in gaming now where if I get stuck and don't know where to go for like 10 minutes I'm whipping out my phone and looking up a walkthrough. I do not have the patience or time to spend figuring stuff out any more.

Yeah nice. Wish I could go back and play it for the first time again. I played through it casually on Wii U and finished it in 2:20. Still fun, might try and get a faster time.

Totally agree with you in regards to the second point, I hate getting stuck these days. Especially when the solution is so easy to get.

EDIT: BTW what is your NNID?

Dryk

TELSTRA is weeks away from unveiling technology that by 2015 could be more than four times faster than the Coalition's $20.4 billion National Broadband Network.

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/techn...es-rest-standing/story-fn4iyzsr-1226734350277

Nope, we don't need no NBN.
Anything wireless can do FTTH could do better, glass is just a straight up better medium and targeted distribution of data is far more efficient. The only reason that any wireless technology looks good is because we're all still stuck on copper. We should by all rights all be on at least 1Gbps by now.

Danoss

Thanks for recommending The Genius, Dannos.

I started watching it at the end of last week thinking I'd just watch an episode here and there, but at about ep 3 or 4 it hooked me and I ended up watching the whole thing over the long weekend.

I've never really watched any reality game shows, but anytime I would catch bits of an episode it seemed like half of it would be spent on elimination i.e. voting out someone, interviewing everyone about how they feel etc. I appreciated that they kept elimination very simple in The Genius and focused mostly on the games/events, only having brief interviews with the core people of each episode.

Unfortunately I was spoiled on the winner by reading wiki pages for some of the contestants, but that didn't really ruin my enjoyment of it.

It's great to hear more people watching and enjoying the show. When it grabs you, it sinks its teeth in deep. I wanted every spare minute I had to be spent watching the show.

Excellent point on the elimination not being a detractor from what really matters. In a way they baked the elimination into each episode so you'd have a decent idea who the candidate will be based on how well they're scoring. It is kept fresh when the winner selects and/or the candidate picks as the reasons for each can be surprising. The elimination process solves the problem of stealing focus away from why we watch and enjoy the show by being a game itself where the loser exits. Simple, elegant and fits the theme, demonstrating how well thought-out the show was.

I, too, had the winner spoiled in the same way you did and noticed it didn't impact my enjoyment of the show either. I think that speaks to the shows strength not being in the final outcome, but in the events that lead up to it. We see different strategies, tactics and changes in behaviour that all stem from a relatively simple and interesting game. Essentially it wasn't that they won so much as how they won and the events that contributed that made it so captivating.

Jintor

I think we may already have addressed this pressing issue but where is best place to buy Pokemans to have it this weekend

Today was better, cops are being irritating and won't talk to any of us. Doctors too. Sooo basically we can't do shit because no-one is willing to tell us who is handling her case in either regard. Joy! Seems like they are holding her though since the cops brought her in, pretty sure in QLD they can hold her at the Hospital for up to 30 days. Hopefully they plan on doing that. Would be nice for them to contact next-of-kin though >_<

Also, the dorky guy from New Girl is in it (he's the jazz guy at the magazine).
Who, Aziz Ansari? Or Nick Kroll? Don't remember anyone from New Girl in there.

Rose Byrne was hot as all hell in that movie at least. Basically the only thing I remember.

That news doesn't make me happy. Doesn't mean I'm choked up about it, either.

I saw him once give one of his "live shows / speeches / paid boasting sessions". Walked out after 20 minutes. A vile and reprehensible human being. That night I didn't know who was the greater problem: him or the crowd of people laughing at his 'comic delivery' of how he harmed and killed people. Ugh.
My boss brought him in a few times as he ran in his suburb when he was a cop in the 80's. Said Chopper was a chicken shit at the time until he started offing people.

Eh.

Well that's Heath Franklin out of work from now on.
I assumed he died years ago!

Looks like Deadman asploded
Link? Saw SmokyDave is gone too, can't find why though :(

Top Bottom