• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

hamchan

If those COD Ghosts and WatchDogs PC minimum specs are true then the 360/PS3 versions of those games must be the worst running pieces of crap ever.

Fredescu

The shock at PC minimum specs going up just shows how much the old consoles have slowed progress (and perhaps shows that a lot of gaffers jumped into PC gaming very recently). Specs used to go up and up all the time. 6GB RAM oh no! It has been economically silly to buy any less than 8GB for years!

So Gravity. Script was a bit naff, but it is probably the most visually impressive film I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing, and definitely something you need to see on the big screen. 3D was very good as well.

jambo

The shock at PC minimum specs going up just shows how much the old consoles have slowed progress (and perhaps shows that a lot of gaffers jumped into PC gaming very recently). Specs used to go up and up all the time. 6GB RAM oh no! It has been economically silly to buy any less than 8GB for years!

It's funny because it looks to be returning to the days of the 90s, at least for a little while, where you had to upgrade your PC every 12-18 months to stay in check with new hardware and more and more power hungry games.

Also RAM is so cheap at the moment, so I don't get why people don't just grab some more.

Fredescu

It's funny because it looks to be returning to the days of the 90s, at least for a little while, where you had to upgrade your PC every 12-18 months to stay in check with new hardware and more and more power hungry games.

I don't think it will ever return to the 90s, but yeah, we'll continue to see increased specs as developers come to grips with the new consoles.

Also RAM is so cheap at the moment, so I don't get why people don't just grab some more.

RAM has gone up in price! I bought 16GB for $130 a few months ago, now it seems to be $170+ everywhere.

Best place/company to convert AUD to USD?

Australia Post.

Pretty much the best rates for cash. Crisp new bills but you will probably have to wait a few business days to pick up your cash since they get the cash from amex. You can order online as well. AU 10k limit.

compare to a UAE if you have one nearby.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Wrong!

It's gone up due to the fire at the Hynix factory a month or so ago.

6GB isn't all that much to ask for and there's no resolution attached to the specs as well. Watch dogs will be an interesting benchmark come Nov.

So Gravity. Script was a bit naff, but it is probably the most visually impressive film I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing, and definitely something you need to see on the big screen. 3D was very good as well.

I think I'm going go see it again very soon. 3D next time. Didn't realise it was so well done as I was trying to stay away from gravity threads and info.

jambo

I don't think it will ever return to the 90s, but yeah, we'll continue to see increased specs as developers come to grips with the new consoles.

Obviously it's never going to fully return to those days as the current games needing high specs is more to do with a lack of optimistaion than the devs really pushing the hardware.

RAM has gone up in price! I bought 16GB for $130 a few months ago, now it seems to be $170+ everywhere.

Wrong!

It's gone up due to the fire at the Hynix factory a month or so ago.

I didn't know about this. Sounds like when the Thai floods increased HDD prices for a while.

Stackboy

Played a good amount of GTA Online over the weekend, was pretty great. Really enjoy robbing a few stores, rolling into a racing MP game then getting stuck into a playlist. I really need to buy a headset though, so I can yell at convenience store attendents to rob them quicker and communicate with the great unwashed online.

I'll get around to requesting admittance to the Ausgaf crew soon, on PS3.

Any of you guys go to EBExpo? Sounds like EB/publishers fucked up majorly and didn't set the place up to be accessible for disabled people, resulting in disabled people being unable to get to the play areas for the top shelf stuff like the next gen consoles.

Side note: I can see the reasoning to separate that stuff from the floor, means people can experience it in a quieter place where you can actually enjoy it properly. Also the Kinect stuff! Might actually fucking work up there without other people.

Sony response: "Sorry! We fucked up! Free PS4's all round for you guys!"

That's awesome.

Sorry to bust up this party, but.

I7v06xd.png
Pretty sure it was $25 somewhere? Will look tonight, might have been Amazon over the weekend.

Fake Edit: Actually it's $27 everywhere. Amazon & Gamersgate links.

Also is it a full on expansion? Someone on Twitter was saying its only a few missions long but adds plenty of content.

The RAM thing isn't too big a deal. The GPU is though!

Minimum
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better
Recommended
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

The fuck! My 460 has done well so far, haven't felt the need to upgrade even with Crysis 3 or Metro.

Can't even run minimum!

I wonder if COD Ghosts is going to be a massive step up visually from BO2, which ran deliciously on my PC............................................................................................

senahorse

Recommended specs for GPU are pretty crazy for a CoD game. I guess I can expect graphical fidelity on par with Metro Last Light? Or I can expect an unoptimised PC game. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

That is a lot of content indeed, almost like a rebalance with all that extra stuff to choose from.

But the 6 is bigger than the middle 5!
No culture looks at the middle number! You're either first or last!

Also another thing!

GTX 460 1GB - 675MHz/1350MHz/3.6GHz 1GB GDDR5

GTX 550 Ti - 900MHz/1800MHz/4.104GHz 1GB GDDR5

Whats the point of all those Hz numbers! Lower is better?!?

Fredescu

No culture looks at the middle number! You're either first or last!
The first number is the family, so the 550 is newer but a more cut down version from it's parents than the 460. The 560 ti is the 460 replacement for the 5xx family.

GTX 460 1GB - 675MHz/1350MHz/3.6GHz 1GB GDDR5

GTX 550 Ti - 900MHz/1800MHz/4.104GHz 1GB GDDR5

Whats the point of all those Hz numbers! Lower is better?!?

Different chips, different memory bus width resulting in lower memory bandwidth. Better off looking at graphs rather than trying to figure out anything base on the name: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/541?vs=542

The first number is the family, so the 550 is newer but a more cut down version from it's parents than the 460. The 560 ti is the 460 replacement for the 5xx family.

Different chips, different memory bus width resulting in lower memory bandwidth. Better off looking at graphs rather than trying to figure out anything base on the name: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/541?vs=542
They should put these graphs on the boxes!

Useless Hz.

Australia Post.

Pretty much the best rates for cash. Crisp new bills but you will probably have to wait a few business days to pick up your cash since they get the cash from amex. You can order online as well. AU 10k limit.

Thanks for that.

Australia Post.

Does the same apply if I want to convert USD to AUD?

The banks give terrible exchange rates.

Shaneus

GAZUUNNTTTAAAAAAHHHH:
This year once again Llamasoft is pleased to annouce that we will be present
at the Replay 2013 exhibition in Manchester on the 12 and 13th October.

As usual we will have a variery of Llamasoft games old and new. Additionally
you'll have a chance to see and try a pre-beta build of our current work in progress:
"TxK" on the PS Vita.

So if you can make it to the exhibition, look around for sheep, oxen,
goats and glowing neon webs suspended in virtual space and when you'll find us you'll find TxK too.

More info about the Replay 2013 exhibition can be found at : http://llamasoft.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=58e9392511&id=0b7840f394&e=acfd6f3c41

==============================================
You are receiving this email because you registered to get news from Llamasoft about its new games development and useful information.

Meanwhile, at a JB HiFi store somewhere...

JB-Tour-de-France.jpg
Glorious.

There has been some stellar trolling with these little sale cards at JB. I wonder if they're all from the same store?

Arksy

Best place/company to convert AUD to USD?

Do you need cash? Because if you get a Citibank Plus account they have no conversion fees at all.

I was in America withdrawing cash out of ATM's at the spot rate, much better than the (still good) Australia Post rate.

It's easily the best way to convert if you're able to withdraw in USD, but if you're IN Australia and need USD in cash, than Aus Post is your best bet!

Rezbit

If those COD Ghosts and WatchDogs PC minimum specs are true then the 360/PS3 versions of those games must be the worst running pieces of crap ever.

I wouldn't have that much confidence in the PC versions either TBH. I bet they're both barebones, lowest effort ports of the next-gen versions.

Cod will just be in 500p or whatever it always has been on consoles
Watch dogs is an ubisoft game so of it will join all the other ubisoft games in the worst framerates in history list

Does the same apply if I want to convert USD to AUD?

The banks give terrible exchange rates.

no idea, soz. Usually will get the best rate ona particular currency in the home country- ie Au Dollars exhange rates will be better in aus, US$ in US, Euro in Europe, etc.

Hey the Dollar's at 94 something today. any exchange rate you get from a bank or whatever will be at least 3.5 cents lower than that. If your CC gives you the exact rate, are they also charging a foreign currency fee (which usually ends up being the same as a bank that charges no fee, but give you a lower rate instead)

if you wanna work out how much you actually get charged, try this:
http://www.xe.com/creditcard-charges-calculator/

anyone following the saga of the 'how many lost 60's episodes of Dr Who may or may not have been recovered and released digitally by the BBC later this week?' BoB, I know you like old Who.

numbers bandied about are 2, 9, 20 and 90. I'm going to go for 9, myself.

what's in the UK, Gaz? EDIT: Oh, I see. a migraine.

anyone following the saga of the 'how many lost 60's episodes of Dr Who may or may not have been recovered and released digitally by the BBC later this week?' BoB, I know you like old Who.

numbers bandied about are 2, 9, 20 and 90. I'm going to go for 9, myself.

I followed the rumour about a good portion of the destroyed episodes being found in Africa or whatever for a bit when it first popped up a couple months ago and haven't paid it much mind since, though I know it cropped up again this week. Not really putting any stock in things until the Beeb themselves say something.

Any recovered episodes would be good news of course, so I'm not really fussed by how many, if any, it is. I would expect less rather than more, though. Would be a bit funny (though still good) if it was "just" the ones they've already put out animated recreations of.

I prefer Y's Mega Mewtwo but X's everything else from what we know so far. Gettin' X.

Problem with the worldwide launch is that it means we don't have Japan figuring out all the version exclusives and any other differences before it reaches everyone else like usual so it's still a bit of a crapshoot.

Do you like silly rainbow deer that doesn't even look like an X, or badass flying demon bird that actually looks like a Y?

That shit's not silly, it's majestic.

Top Bottom