• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Dead Man

Burns are a pain if you set the dynamic contrast too high, loads of complaints on that front. But the real issue is the input lag, as much as 70ms on this tv.

I must be insensitive to input lag then, never noticed a problem besides normal controller shenanigans.

Edit: And why would people bump up the contrast to the point of burning? Regardless of anything else it is still a plasma screen.

Gazunta

Yeah it's absolutely spot on.

I wonder if the hive mind of game reviews is leading to people to drop out of games? Like, I buy a couple of games every reviewer is raving about, find them all to be crap, and decide that I must just not be getting games any more, so give up the hobby?

Omikron

I wonder if the hive mind of game reviews is leading to people to drop out of games? Like, I buy a couple of games every reviewer is raving about, find them all to be crap, and decide that I must just not be getting games any more, so give up the hobby?

Not sure about that as it is a pretty big leap, but I am sure it does breed a lot of frustration.

Personally I don't really read reviews and haven't for a long time.

Like, I buy a couple of games every reviewer is raving about, find them all to be crap, and decide that I must just not be getting games any more, so give up the hobby?
Reviews are a strange little microcosm. I would prefer them to stray in one of two directions; opinion piece or critical analysis. At the moment they are somewhere between hype device and quickplay.

At the end of the day you are more likely to gain the information you need to make that purchase decision from word-of-mouth than from professional reviews as they are writing a piece of media that is a blanket statement, rather than catered to your actual needs.

Also your taste in games suck. Everyone says so. So there.

Friday hot chocolate club represent:
20131018_095209.jpg

Good news, everyone!
aDOZV5h.png

It's weird though, you have to physically logon to the computer you want to share with using your Steam credentials, and then share that computer, rather than your account. It seems like you allow individual devices access to your whole library and not give user X access to your whole library no matter which device they logon to, which seems different to how they're talking about the whole thing.

The only games I've played in the past few weeks were Monaco (not hugely impressed, going to stick with it though, as I think there's a good game in there if I'm patient) and Sonic Racing Transformed (man, this game is just pure, distilled fun). Oh, and GTAV a bit, but really all I did was screw around - seeing how long I could fly upside down, seeing if I could chase and parachute onto a jumbo (I couldn't), etc.

What's the food hippy? I gotta get my croissant on soon, trying to space out smaller meals through the day. Also yes, Sonic Transformed is the best Kart racer since CTR!

Also amd plz

Also Sony am cool

American NPD figures are interesting, PS3 finally outsold the 360 over there due to the GTA5 bundle and Kingdom Hearts HD came in at number 6 for the month, which is a huge win for Square. Hopefully shows them it's a viable market on consoles still. Diablo 3 did really well too, I know a bunch of people who picked it up in the US & Australia. Still need to grab one so I can co-op with my buddy!

Shaneus

I'm almost the same, but it's not me who thinks I don't "get" games, it's reviewers. Mar_ and 0mi brought this up (somewhat) on Twitter, that (older?) people are migrating more towards true "social" gaming that requires physical interaction instead of calling someone homophobic insults over a microphone. Have to say, I think that's a big part of it as well... you have an experience and even though it might not be a co-operative/competitive one (such as pinball) at least you're sharing it with other people. If I'm playing through the story of GTA5, there's very little that drives me to share my experience of it with other people because they're all experiencing pretty much the same thing.

that (older?) people are migrating more towards true "social" gaming that requires physical interaction instead of calling someone homophobic insults over a microphone
I don't agree that people are migrating purely to physical interaction (I know you and Mar are getting into pinball a lot more recently, and a lot of people in AusGAF are playing a lot more board games), but instead I've found that I'm more interested in social gaming, whether it's physical or video games still. I'm actively looking for games that are co-op and buying those ahead of other games so I can play them with my mates. That's the important thing. I'm definitely not interested in playing with randoms if all I'm going to get is accused of cheating or slurs.

However I've still found some anonymous players--even in COD!--can be pretty good, it just depends where you look. The more 'serious' modes in MW2, like hardcore search and destroy (I think it's called?) generally had people more interested in a fair and exciting game, even if they lost, than winning and shouting down the mic.

What's the food hippy?
It was a scrambled egg baguette with bacon, hollandaise and stuff. I bought it because I've never seen a scrambled egg roll before. It was alright.

Shaneus

Oh, I didn't mean to infer *solely* physical interaction, but more a leaning to it... even in the types of games that are played online, they leverage genuine co-operation moreso than just chatting for chatting's sake (like a genuine co-op game, for some reason I'm thinking of something like The Lost Vikings, I don't know why).

Topic change: This might be handy for comfy-couchers wanting to rock it with a KBaM setup. No idea how good it would be (or even if that link works, it's kinda broke from the office) but it looks like it might be useful. I'd give it a go myself, but I don't really do a lot of KBaM PC gaming (at least, not from the couch).

It's my birthday today. Perfect time to quote these immortal Pink Floyd lyrics:

"So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way but your older. Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death"

jambo

"So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way but your older. Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death"

"You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder. You know it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder as you get older. And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south, hide your head in the sand, just another sad old man, all alone and dying of cancer."

Mine was 1077 days. Seemed like an odd amount for them to recognise so it makes sense everyone got it at the same time.

I don't have any CC information on GAF so I hadn't bothered changing my password ever.

Also Sonic Lost World DEADLY SIX EDITION for WiiU is $65 at Target.

Also Xbone is a good deal here compared to PS4 when you look at it superfisically. GG Choc.

Kritz

Banned
I think I changed my password back when the battlefield heroes hack happened.

Shame, too, cuz that was a good password.

Gazunta

x3n05 I was foolishly hoping I could just walk into a store over the weekend and grab one :)

(He says, after still not being able to find a Telstra store that has an iPhone 5s in stock for a month now)

Teh hacked! Well, kinda.

Interesting that PS4 is being sold at RRP while Xbone is at a discount.

Yeah you get a Kinect & FIFA14 for an extra $30. I can see it selling a ton to uneducated families at Christmas time if they have enough stock sitting on shelves here in Australia.

Only if they still have a pack in game though.

"You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder. You know it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder as you get older. And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south, hide your head in the sand, just another sad old man, all alone and dying of cancer."

My favourite Floyd song. You win my heart.

lexi

Banned

It's my birthday tomorrow. My favourite part of that song:

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain. You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today

And then the one day you find, ten years have got behind you. No one told you when to run, You missed the starting gun

Love Pink Floyd and Time is my favourite song. So good.

Kritz

Banned
Played some Halo 3 today.

Reminds me of why I never want to pay for an online subscription, and why console MP is usually garbage. Slow matchmaking, no dedicated servers, incredibly laggy games, just utter garbage playerbases... it was always a really terrible experience, and I'm kinda reminded of that after a few hours of going back.

I sure still love Halo 3, though.

They got hacked so it was the correct thing to force password changes. If you choose the same password that's your fault, not theirs, if you get your money stolen :)

Played some Halo 3 today.

Reminds me of why I never want to pay for an online subscription, and why console MP is usually garbage. Slow matchmaking, no dedicated servers, incredibly laggy games, just utter garbage playerbases... it was always a really terrible experience, and I'm kinda reminded of that after a few hours of going back.

I sure still love Halo 3, though.

Halo 3 is for friend matches or griefing. Or both.

Anything else is stupid.

May be relevant to your interests, Death:

Evilore said:
We've just had an admin account compromised briefly by an automated attack. The hole was immediately plugged, but we're forcing a site-wide password reset for the safety of the members since it's possible they obtained some data. If you used the same password for other sites, be sure to update any relevant accounts elsewhere as well, and be especially careful with your email accounts. Sorry for the trouble.

The password change should take between 1 second to 30 seconds to be effective in the database architecture.

Email address is not involved in the password change.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand beaten.

My new password is
Jaseflingsp00p

I know about the hack. My point was, there should be a script that thould automatically prevent the user from reusing the same password for a new password. Didn't expect this from GAF IT dept.

Kritz

Banned
My new password is
Jaseflingsp00p

I know about the hack. My point was, there should be a script that thould automatically prevent the user from reusing the same password for a new password. Didn't expect this from GAF IT dept.

maybe they changed how passwords are salted as well, making it impossible to compare the last password with the new one?

Axiom

Your password is 3400 days old, and has therefore expired.

Beat ya's all!

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!"

"Your password is 3420 days old, and has therefore expired"

Honestly this is kind of depressing, but explains why fewer and fewer people remember that Nintendojo guy and seeing live pics of the Gamecube reveal

Top Bottom