• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Dead Man

If the Driveclub thing is true then that fucking sucks. The Xbone launch lineup looks so much better compared to the PS4 lineup but I doubt I'll be buying an Xbone ever.

GT6 looks like ass on the old hardware so I won't play that, will wait for GT7 on PS4.
GT6 looks good, but it will sound like shit and be a piece of shit design wise. I'll be there day one :(

As for Drive Club, meh. Both consoles have pretty weak launch lineups. I think after 12 months Sony's will probably be quite a bit better than MS's. People that buy consoles based on launch lineups are weird.

z82rKJv.jpg

LOL

Edit: Double post spread across two pages, bugger it, it's staying.

Manax

Scrap drive club, start again

Motor storm pacific rift 2 ps4 launch title
Would buy it day one no questions asked

Imagine those sweet sweet lava tracks on a ps4.

Shaneus

Wait, people actually care about Driveclub? Game looks like a poor mans Gran Turismo.
It's an old man's PGR. Which is why HYPE. Us old men know our shit.

There's plenty of smoke behind this rumour. It's not just going off the word of a single source.

Colour me not surprised if it is delayed, but I don't mind because I won't be buying a next gen console for a while.
Pretty much this for me. I'm only disappointed because it means DC misses being launch/honeymoon sales and gets lumped in with the first batch of third-party shit releases.

The only thing that now remotely interests me as far as PS4 launch goes is Resogun and (less remotely) Pinball Arcade. As that's a retail title as well (yup, they're selling a disc-based version) I'm almost kinda hoping *that* is their replacement for DC (although people will be PISSED if that's the case).

Wait, people actually care about Driveclub? Game looks like a poor mans Gran Turismo.
More like a spiritual sequel to PGR by the Motorstorm guys.

I CAN'T SEE THAT IT'S BLOCKED AT WORK YOU NONCE.
You have a phone don't you? Oh well! Wait until you get home to see!

Pretty much this for me. I'm only disappointed because it means DC misses being launch/honeymoon sales and gets lumped in with the first batch of third-party shit releases.
Sony are already slicing its sales by including it in PS+ so I don't think sales targets would be high thankfully. It will definitely take a hit though.

Which is why Namco should capitalise on the opportunity and port one of the PS3 RIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDGEEEEEEEEEEEEE RACERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!

Gazunta

Holy crap, I just realised - are these the first consoles that are launching without a new Ridge Racer?

Oh wait Wii U doesn't have a Ridge Racer either. No wonder I'm not interested in this gen!

senahorse

If I wasn't so stubborn, I would just cancel my console pre-orders. Drive Club was really the only game I was going to play at launch. There might be others but I haven't been following it closely at all.

Holy crap, I just realised - are these the first consoles that are launching without a new Ridge Racer?

Oh wait Wii U doesn't have a Ridge Racer either. No wonder I'm not interested in this gen!
Vita and 3DS kindaaaaaaa got Ridge Racer's. They were like, 1/4 of a Ridge Racer each really :/

It's been a long generation remember! Too bad they outsourced all the RR stuff :(

If I wasn't so stubborn, I would just cancel my console pre-orders. Drive Club was really the only game I was going to play at launch. There might be others but I haven't been following it closely at all.

Do you have a bit of a PSN backlog? A bunch of them are getting PS4 updates with 1080p/60FPS type stuff. Pretty sure Flow/Flower are included, all are YOPO so at least you might have those to play!

senahorse

Vita and 3DS kindaaaaaaa got Ridge Racer's. They were like, 1/4 of a Ridge Racer each really :/

It's been a long generation remember! Too bad they outsourced all the RR stuff :(

Do you have a bit of a PSN backlog? A bunch of them are getting PS4 updates with 1080p/60FPS type stuff. Pretty sure Flow/Flower are included, all are YOPO so at least you might have those to play!

Not really, well a few I didn't finish I guess, but nothing I am really excited to go back to, new graphics or not. I am sure there will be something, maybe an indie game that has been money hatted to not come to PC.

Stackboy

Wasn't there a rumor that Giant Bomb were closing due to no funding? Can't remember what came of that.

Jeff said if anything CBSi has plans to start more websites. I don't think there is any threat of GB closing. Their video content of late has been excellent. Happy to be a subscriber.

Drive Club getting delayed into next April :/

Huge huge huge blow to Sony, Forza has next gen launch all to itself. This is going to cost them big time. No idea why they didn't just throw a fuckload of resources at it 3 months ago to get it over the line.

Certainly going to lead to lower sales.

Is this a rumour or has it been confirmed?

Is this a rumour or has it been confirmed?

Rumour. All the insiders have confirmed with their sources its getting delayed until next Spring (our Autumn) and Rushy from Evolution replied with a 'no comment' type response rather than 'our game will be out at launch', so yeah. It's not going to be good news.

senahorse

The only thing left for me is new engine FIFA. Otherwise I think I'd cancel (if the rumour is confirmed).

I like that the PC version doesn't have the new engine they are using. EA after a few years of doing some great things are pretty much my most hated Dev/Pub again, yet I still give them money...albeit as little as possible thanks to key sites.

Manax

Kinda true for me in the racing genre. All my simulation, arcade and futuristic racing needs are covered by well established, high quality franchises.

Pretty much this, don't know how you can overly excited for a new racing ip which doesn't seem to be doing anything too different. (Unless I need correcting on that)

Does look solid though, glad they're giving it the time it needs.

01./00. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 1.866.570 / NEW
02./00. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2013.10.10} (¥7.770) - 360.115 / NEW
| 3DS # | 213.570 | 122.987 | 79.300 | 3.443.652 | 3.404.535 | 13.223.532 |
| PSV | 60.166 | 3.538 | 6.134 | 773.802 | 568.267 | 1.904.627 |
| PS3 | 12.395 | 10.232 | 26.312 | 662.768 | 880.799 | 9.522.852 |
| PSP # | 3.467 | 4.093 | 15.585 | 381.013 | 638.094 | 20.010.024 |
| WIU | 3.276 | 4.001 | | 464.625 | | 1.091.912 |

Dang. Vita did better in Japan last week than I expected in the face of massive lines for Pokemon.

Also Pokemon isn't as big outside Japan as I expected in the end, my expectations were probably too high though after those "Pokemon will break the GTA5 records!"

Also Japan likes GTA5 lol

The only thing left for me is new engine FIFA. Otherwise I think I'd cancel (if the rumour is confirmed).

I would pick up Knack for the son and I (if the wife let us play violent games together) but apart from that I would really only be all over Killzone. Free indie games like Resogun would be a ton of fun but at the end of the day I only have time to hit the big releases.

Oddly enough I would probably grab AC4 if I had a launch next gen console! The PS4 gameplay footage from that has been plentiful so I expect it to run well.

Fredescu

I like that the PC version doesn't have the new engine they are using. EA after a few years of doing some great things are pretty much my most hated Dev/Pub again, yet I still give them money...albeit as little as possible thanks to key sites.

The PC version has always been very low priority. It was running on the PS2 engine long after the consoles had the new gen engine.

When I was more active on Steam I often thought that getting FIFA on Steam with proper multiplayer implementation would hugely boost it's popularity on the platform. Just a simple 2v2 can be a tonne of fun and over fairly quickly if you just want a quick 10 minute game of something, and you can have custom leagues and stuff to keep the longevity. Not to mention Be A Player online mode, imagine a full AusGAF team!

But, obviously, they stuck to their Origin guns, and only sort of half assedly implemented some of the better co op features as online. Also they had their weird mouse driven free Fifa Online which seems to be still going, so I guess the focus is on that, but it's more of a F2P microtransaction driven thing than pick up and play co-op. Oh well. It's probably the one game that makes me buy a console each time.

Maybe I should cancel the PS4 after all and just give the PC version of Pro Evo a go. I haven't played that since 6.

I would pick up Knack for the son and I (if the wife let us play violent games together)

Yeah, the violence is the reason I don't want Knack yet. My lad is pretty impressionable when it comes to that stuff. I'll wait for the world to impose it's violent order on him by force before introducing beat em ups to him.

Yeah, the violence is the reason I don't want Knack yet. My lad is pretty impressionable when it comes to that stuff. I'll wait for the world to impose it's violent order on him by force before introducing beat em ups to him.

Heh. Yesterday they had Music Group and there is another kid there that is a bit of an annoying prick, he is like 5 or 6 (NFI why he isn't in school, but the thing is held in an area that is predominately public housing....) and yesterday the wife saw him tussling with our son over a toy of some sort. My son calmly put the toy down, glared at the kid, go a wind up and slapped him a solid one across the face without moving anything other than his arm lol. Was quite funny apparently.

So yeah, no violent media for him. Worst he sees is Pixar movies which I edit the naughty words and weapons out of.

senahorse

The PC version has always been very low priority. It was running on the PS2 engine long after the consoles had the new gen engine.

When I was more active on Steam I often thought that getting FIFA on Steam with proper multiplayer implementation would hugely boost it's popularity on the platform. Just a simple 2v2 can be a tonne of fun and over fairly quickly if you just want a quick 10 minute game of something, and you can have custom leagues and stuff to keep the longevity. Not to mention Be A Player online mode, imagine a full AusGAF team!

But, obviously, they stuck to their Origin guns, and only sort of half assedly implemented some of the better co op features as online. Also they had their weird mouse driven free Fifa Online which seems to be still going, so I guess the focus is on that, but it's more of a F2P microtransaction driven thing than pick up and play co-op. Oh well. It's probably the one game that makes me buy a console each time.

Maybe I should cancel the PS4 after all and just give the PC version of Pro Evo a go. I haven't played that since 6.

Very true regarding lack of platform parity. Though last year's may have been on par with console (at least I think it was), either way we are back where we were before. Maybe in 2019 we can get back on track. I have also thought the same with PES, I belive Fifa is still the de facto standard with Soccer/Football but I think it's gotten better. It even has a co-op mode but I think that might only be for local play. As I only really play casually though maybe it will be a better fit, at least they have their game on Steam :).

Fredescu

Very true regarding lack of platform parity. Though last year's may have been on par with console (at least I think it was)

Yep, has had engine and feature parity since FIFA 11 iirc.

PC is the home of the management sim and Football Manager fred. :p

It has long been the home of PES too! PES was great because there were some awesome mods that were only possible on PC (from memory you could mod team lists and other text based stuff on PS2), but since about FIFA 08/09 it really fell behind and I've ignored it for a long time apart from playing the odd demo here and there. I didn't realise it was on Steam. I might buy it next time there's a sale.

Vita is the home of Football Manager!

Also any idea what the touch control stuff for FIFA on PS4 will be? Some cool implementations so far with other games.

So, I know when and where PAX AU 2014 will be held, but I can't disclose that information, not now.

Only thing I can say - It's not going to be in july nor at the showgrounds.

r1chard

So, I know when and where PAX AU 2014 will be held, but I can't disclose that information, not now.

Only thing I can say - It's not going to be in july nor at the showgrounds.

YAY!
Also, I presume they're divorcing all ties with Penny Arcade creators Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik so that anyone will turn up? No?

Edit: please please please let it be at the MCEC...

Deeku

I played the pro evo 2014 demo and was pretty set on getting it. I thought it was a pretty big improvement on the last one i played (2008?), and it looked hot. But then I read a bit of the OT and apparently it's a horrible mess or something...plus performance issues.

Fredescu

But then I read a bit of the OT and apparently it's a horrible mess or something...plus performance issues.

Wow, yep, looks pretty bad. These two things kill it for me:

- AI players will ALWAYS catch your pacey players who are through on goal. Frazier Campbell is quick, yet Mertesacker of all people will catch up to him, pull at his arm or jersey to slow him down even if Frazier has a 10yard head start.

* the worst case of "the CPU thinks this player has the ball, so the other player can't get to it even though it (looks) free" since Virtua Striker 2002 - you can't have the player's inputs disregarded like that in a footy sim, you just can't.

Thanks for saving me some money deek!

I'm going to guess Q3 sometime when the weather's a bit better, and they'll need time to organise it, so mid-late October. Jeff's shed seems like the most appropriate place unless it's out of Melbourne.

I played the pro evo 2014 demo and was pretty set on getting it. I thought it was a pretty big improvement on the last one i played (2008?), and it looked hot. But then I read a bit of the OT and apparently it's a horrible mess or something...plus performance issues.

But Choc said it looked awesome ages ago! :(

Any word on when PS4 and Xbone demo stations are going to start showing up in Australia? I'm not particularly hyped for any of the games, but I am keen to try out the controllers.

Fredescu

People say the AI cheats, but, I am not so sure. Random events are random.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, it kinda has to "cheat" by design doesn't it? Otherwise there'd be some god strategy you could use and win everything. In real life, other managers learn your strategies and adjust. So to simulate, it kinda has to punish you for using the same strat.

Omikron

Why should he buy it when you won't?

V8dRqmq.png

(thanks Choc for 14! :p)

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, it kinda has to "cheat" by design doesn't it? Otherwise there'd be some god strategy you could use and win everything. In real life, other managers learn your strategies and adjust. So to simulate, it kinda has to punish you for using the same strat.

I am not 100% sure how they cope, but I believe the game adapts to your style of play and tries to counter with various other tactics and such (Miles mentions it in one of the latest video updates). That said, if you say, have all the top players in the various positions you will likely win more often than not even with a bad tactic just from weight of 'stats'.

Fredescu

That said, if you say, have all the top players in the various positions you will likely win more often than not even with a bad tactic just from weight of 'stats'.

Yep, I meant in an even match up. I know people used to speculate about artificial "horror runs" to force you to change up your style. Perhaps they've made it a bit smarter and less obvious now. Either way, I don't think you could "tell" if the AI was cheating in the same way as an action game.

Omikron

Yep, I meant in an even match up. I know people used to speculate about artificial "horror runs" to force you to change up your style. Perhaps they've made it a bit smarter and less obvious now. Either way, I don't think you could "tell" if the AI was cheating in the same way as an action game.

Yeah, it certainly 'feels' like you get on a horror run for no particular reason, but you can never put your finger on why because of all the variables going around... tactics, injuries, morale.... etc etc. If it is pre-coded trigger condition(s), I kinda doubt it.

Morale slumps really are the worst, so freaking hard to turn around.

Top Bottom