• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Racist all the time, apparently.

A good example of this is an incident on "Hey Hey it's Saturday" in 2009.

104914-jackson-jive-on-hey-hey-it-039-s-saturday.jpg

http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/10/08/the-world-sees-red-over-hey-heys-blackface/

The world saw it as racist, while HHIS viewer's just saw it as funny.

That was only racist because there was an american that took offence to it on the show so everyone had to play along
its racists because of americans

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
finally ggot a hearthstone invite. so fducking excited.

downloading now. should be ready to play within the hour ;D ;jD

It was popular in the UK too, so it's racist there. It's fair to say that if something is common knowledge in the US and the UK, there is little excuse not to be aware of it in Australia. In non English speaking countries I think it's a bit fuzzier.

Why? I don't know how I should have been expected to know something that I'd never heard of or experienced before. The first time I'd heard of it was on gaf after hey hey, and I'm pretty sure it was the same way for a lot of people.

finally ggot a hearthstone invite. so fducking excited.

downloading now. should be ready to play within the hour ;D ;jD

Jelly~ Hope it's as fun as it looks.

Everyone should just play magic...

Omikron

Why? I don't know how I should have been expected to know something that I'd never heard of or experienced before. The first time I'd heard of it was on gaf after hey hey, and I'm pretty sure it was the same way for a lot of people.

Jelly~ Hope it's as fun as it looks.

Everyone should just play magic...
I play Scrolls.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
HOLY CHECK PRESENTS: AUSGAF BATTLES.
While Hearthstone downloads and installs, based on previous discussions on Ausgaf, i present Battle 1 (and probably the only one)

I've organised playlists of the the hottest 100's from 1993 - 2002 and 2003 - 2012.

I will be selecting 50 random songs from each, and pitting them against eachother! and if you are as bored as me, you can vote on your preference (wont supply youtube links.. that will be way too much work.. if you know the song good, if not.. google it)

VOTE NOW - Bold your choice!

(really this is just an excuse for people who work in IT to spend more time on youtube so they can listen to these..
Code:
Powderfinger - D.A.F vs. 					Sarah Blasko - Don't U Eva
Frenzal Rhomb - Mr. Charisma vs.				A Perfect Circle - Imagine
Tism - Whatareya vs.						Josh Pyke - Memories And Dust
Faith No More - Evidence vs.					The XX - Angels 
Pennywise - Society vs. 					Gus and Frank - So Entertaining
Filter - Take a Picture vs. 					Placebo - English Summer Rain
TLC - Waterfalls vs.					 	The Cops - Call Me Anytime 
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Impression That I Get vs. 	John Butler Trio - Good Excuse
Alex Lloyd - Lucky Star vs. 					Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
Metallica - Hero Of The Day vs.					Illy - Pictures
Alice In Chains - Would vs. 					The Living End - I Can't Give You What I Haven't Got
Everclear - So Much For The Afterglow vs.			 Birds of Tokyo - This Fire
Badly Drawn Boy - Silent Sigh vs. 				The Strokes - Juicebox
Pearl Jam - Wishlist vs. 					Little Red - Rock It
Garbage - Push It vs.					 	Bliss N Eso - Down By The River 
Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby vs. 			Coldplay - Clocks
Grinspoon - Ready 1 vs. 					The Herd - 2020
Alice In Chains - No Excuses vs. 				Santagold - L.E.S. Artistes
They Might Be Giants - New York City vs. 			Powderfinger - Stumblin'
Christine Anu - Last Train (With Paul Kelly) vs. 		Michael Franti And Spearhead - Everyone Deserves Music
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication vs. 			Kanye West - Love Lockdown
Sharp - Alone Like Me vs.				 	Seeker Keeper Lover - Light All My Lights
Ween - Push Th' Little Daisies vs.			 	Missy Higgins - Scar
Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye vs.				 	MGMT - Kids
Gomez - Shot Shot vs. 						The Killers - Human 
Smashing Pumpkins - Dancing In The Moonlight (Acoustic) vs. 	Nero - Promises 
Filter and The Crystal Method - Trip Like I Do vs. 		Kings of Leon - Fans
Local H - Bound For The Floor vs.				Xavier Rudd - Let Me Be 
Spiderbait - Outta My Head vs. 					System of a Down - B.Y.O.B
The Whitlams - Melbourne vs.				 	Epicure - Tightrope Walker
Grinspoon - Just Ace vs. 					The Wombats - Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves)
The Whitlams - Chunky Chunky Air Guitar vs. 			John Butler Trio - Funky Tonight
R.E.M. - The Man On The Moon vs. 				Seth Sentry - Float Away
Arkana - The Futures Overrated vs. 				The Wombats - Our Perfect Disease
Foo Fighters - Disenchanted Lullaby vs. 			Snow Patrol - Hands Open
Korn - Freak On a Leash vs. 					Bluejuice - Act Yr Age

and now for the side battle
5 top 5 songs from the respective periods:

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings vs. 		Hilltop Hoods - Chase That Feeling
Placebo - Every You Every Me vs. 				Kings of Leon - On Call
Nine Inch Nails - Closer vs.					Art Vs Science - Parlez Vous Francais
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony vs.				Eskimo Joe - Black Fingernails Red Wine
Powderfinger - These Days vs.					Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out

Fredescu

I don’t expect people to have innate knowledge, but to go as far as to say "it's only an American thing" is to have experienced it, considered it, and drawn a conclusion about it. If you decided your conclusion was worth sharing with the world, you'd hope you would have read up on it just a tiny bit.

Wow, BF4 MP actually looks pretty great on PS4. Did not expect that with a cross gen title at launch when PSN hasn't even gone up!

And yeah, Dark10x is saying they fucked up the recording for DF. Should have been upfront about it, just makes them look like a joke at this point.

us that count have been living it up in next gen since last year. or since the dick smith sale!

cant wait for mario 3d world. gonna be amazing.

will be hard to dethrone animal crossing from game of the year though
WiiU is a fucking dust magnet for me. Keeps it all away from my PS3 which used to hold that mantle.

Also I finally got to try Mario 3D Land this week. Mario games just ain't for me. Felt repetitive. Felt like deja vu. Felt like I wasn't a kid any more.

At least I loved Mario Galaxy. That was pretty amazing to play for the first time.

Are you agreeing with me or... ?
N64 games always looked odd as fuck to me. Maybe it was more that most PSOne games had a thick layer of vaseline on them so they didn't look as blocky to me as N64 ones did.

It's only racist because someone perceives it to be racist. Amazing.
I felt it was racist because they made their skin black for a joke.

Dead Man

I don’t expect people to have innate knowledge, but to go as far as to say "it's only an American thing" is to have experienced it, considered it, and drawn a conclusion about it. If you decided your conclusion was worth sharing with the world, you'd hope you would have read up on it just a tiny bit.

Well, not to be a dick, but that's not what you originally posted, and it even if you do know of it, it doesn't mean you have to take on board their view if they are not the intended audience.

For instance ( a trivial example but I hope you get what I mean) apparently in Mexico it is rude to put your hands below the table while you are eating. That doesn't mean if I am in Australia and filming people eating that I will tell them they should keep their hands above the table.

It is quite possible for something to be offensive to one group, but to have a totally different meaning to the group at which it was aimed. That is not to say that you can use cultural relativism to excuse hateful shit. It is to say that it is important to take the intention and intended audience into account when assessing your response something. Otherwise we get to a place where KFC cricket ads ARE racist simply because someone in another country says so.

I think a lot of those "it's an American thing" comments are responding to suggestions that Australians are familiar with blackface and it's history, therefore making them super racist.

While Hearthstone downloads and installs, based on previous discussions on Ausgaf, i present Battle 1 (and probably the only one)

I've organised playlists of the the hottest 100's from 1993 - 2002 and 2003 - 2012.

I will be selecting 50 random songs from each, and pitting them against eachother! and if you are as bored as me, you can vote on your preference (wont supply youtube links.. that will be way too much work.. if you know the song good, if not.. google it)

ctrl+F "Hard act to follow".

:(

Fredescu

The point I was poorly trying to make is that the cultures where that representation of blackface comes from are the two most influential cultures on us. I'm not trying to say something as absurd as everyone should know fact X. Just that it's not a terribly obscure fact completely removed from our experience.

(really this is just an excuse for people who work in IT to spend more time on youtube so they can listen to these..

Powderfinger - D.A.F vs. Sarah Blasko - Don't U Eva
Frenzal Rhomb - Mr. Charisma vs. A Perfect Circle - Imagine
Tism - Whatareya vs. Josh Pyke - Memories And Dust
Faith No More - Evidence vs. The XX - Angels
Pennywise - Society vs. Gus and Frank - So Entertaining
Filter - Take a Picture vs. Placebo - English Summer Rain
TLC - Waterfalls vs. The Cops - Call Me Anytime
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Impression That I Get vs. John Butler Trio - Good Excuse
Alex Lloyd - Lucky Star vs. Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
Metallica - Hero Of The Day vs. Illy - Pictures
Alice In Chains - Would vs. The Living End - I Can't Give You What I Haven't Got
Everclear - So Much For The Afterglow vs. Birds of Tokyo - This Fire
Badly Drawn Boy - Silent Sigh vs. The Strokes - Juicebox
Pearl Jam - Wishlist vs. Little Red - Rock It
Garbage - Push It vs. Bliss N Eso - Down By The River
Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby vs. Coldplay - Clocks
Grinspoon - Ready 1 vs. The Herd - 2020
Alice In Chains - No Excuses vs. Santagold - L.E.S. Artistes
They Might Be Giants - New York City vs. Powderfinger - Stumblin'
Christine Anu - Last Train (With Paul Kelly) vs. Michael Franti And Spearhead - Everyone Deserves Music
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication vs. Kanye West - Love Lockdown
Sharp - Alone Like Me vs. Seeker Keeper Lover - Light All My Lights
Ween - Push Th' Little Daisies vs. Missy Higgins - Scar
Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye vs. MGMT - Kids
Gomez - Shot Shot vs. The Killers - Human
Smashing Pumpkins - Dancing In The Moonlight (Acoustic) vs. Nero - Promises
Filter and The Crystal Method - Trip Like I Do vs. Kings of Leon - Fans
Local H - Bound For The Floor vs. Xavier Rudd - Let Me Be
Spiderbait - Outta My Head vs. System of a Down - B.Y.O.B
The Whitlams - Melbourne vs. Epicure - Tightrope Walker
Grinspoon - Just Ace vs. The Wombats - Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves)
The Whitlams - Chunky Chunky Air Guitar vs. John Butler Trio - Funky Tonight
R.E.M. - The Man On The Moon vs. Seth Sentry - Float Away
Arkana - The Futures Overrated vs. The Wombats - Our Perfect Disease
Foo Fighters - Disenchanted Lullaby vs. Snow Patrol - Hands Open
Korn - Freak On a Leash vs. Bluejuice - Act Yr Age

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings vs. Hilltop Hoods - Chase That Feeling
Placebo - Every You Every Me vs. Kings of Leon - On Call
Nine Inch Nails - Closer vs. Art Vs Science - Parlez Vous Francais
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony vs. Eskimo Joe - Black Fingernails Red Wine
Powderfinger - These Days vs. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
No fucking contest those last 5 dude.

ctrl+F "Hard act to follow".

:(
ijrzms6dqyy070he19.gif

I'll forgive the transgression due to your age young lady!

The point I was poorly trying to make is that the cultures where that representation of blackface comes from are the two most influential cultures on us. I'm not trying to say something as absurd as everyone should know fact X. Just that it's not a terribly obscure fact completely removed from our experience.
Plenty of people avoid US/UK culture though! Tons of people on GAF skew Japan/Korean in their knowledge and what has seeped into their brains.

Dead Man

Code:
[B]Powderfinger - D.A.F[/B] vs. 					Sarah Blasko - Don't U Eva
[B]Frenzal Rhomb - Mr. Charisma[/B] vs.				A Perfect Circle - Imagine
[B]Tism - Whatareya[/B] vs.						Josh Pyke - Memories And Dust
[B]Faith No More - Evidence[/B] vs.					The XX - Angels 
[B]Pennywise - Society[/B] vs. 					Gus and Frank - So Entertaining
[B]Filter - Take a Picture[/B] vs. 					Placebo - English Summer Rain
TLC - Waterfalls vs.					 	[B]The Cops - Call Me Anytime[/B] 
[B]The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Impression That I Get [/B]vs. 	John Butler Trio - Good Excuse
Alex Lloyd - Lucky Star vs. 					[B]Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks[/B]
[B]Metallica - Hero Of The Day[/B] vs.					Illy - Pictures
[B]Alice In Chains - Would[/B] vs. 					The Living End - I Can't Give You What I Haven't Got
[B]Everclear - So Much For The Afterglow[/B] vs.			 Birds of Tokyo - This Fire
Badly Drawn Boy - Silent Sigh vs. 				[B]The Strokes - Juicebox[/B]
Pearl Jam - Wishlist vs. 					[B]Little Red - Rock It[/B]
[B]Garbage - Push It[/B] vs.					 	Bliss N Eso - Down By The River 
Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby vs. 			[B]Coldplay - Clocks[/B]
Grinspoon - Ready 1 vs. 					[B]The Herd - 2020[/B]
[B]Alice In Chains - No Excuses[/B] vs. 				Santagold - L.E.S. Artistes
[B]They Might Be Giants - New York City[/B] vs. 			Powderfinger - Stumblin'
Christine Anu - Last Train (With Paul Kelly) vs. 		[B]Michael Franti And Spearhead - Everyone Deserves Music[/B]
[B]Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication[/B] vs. 			Kanye West - Love Lockdown
[B]Sharp - Alone Like Me[/B] vs.				 	Seeker Keeper Lover - Light All My Lights
[B]Ween - Push Th' Little Daisies[/B] vs.			 	Missy Higgins - Scar
Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye vs.				 	[B]MGMT - Kids[/B]
Gomez - Shot Shot vs. 						[B]The Killers - Human[/B] 
[B]Smashing Pumpkins - Dancing In The Moonlight (Acoustic)[/B] vs. 	Nero - Promises 
[B]Filter and The Crystal Method - Trip Like I Do[/B] vs. 		Kings of Leon - Fans
[B]Local H - Bound For The Floor[/B] vs.				Xavier Rudd - Let Me Be 
[B]Spiderbait - Outta My Head[/B] vs. 					System of a Down - B.Y.O.B
[B]The Whitlams - Melbourne[/B] vs.				 	Epicure - Tightrope Walker
[B]Grinspoon - Just Ace[/B] vs. 					The Wombats - Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves)
[B]The Whitlams - Chunky Chunky Air Guitar[/B] vs. 			John Butler Trio - Funky Tonight
[B]R.E.M. - The Man On The Moon[/B] vs. 				Seth Sentry - Float Away
Arkana - The Futures Overrated vs. 				[B]The Wombats - Our Perfect Disease[/B]
[B]Foo Fighters - Disenchanted Lullaby[/B] vs. 			Snow Patrol - Hands Open
[B]Korn - Freak On a Leash[/B] vs. 					Bluejuice - Act Yr Age

[B]Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings[/B] vs. 		Hilltop Hoods - Chase That Feeling
[B]Placebo - Every You Every Me[/B] vs. 				Kings of Leon - On Call
[B]Nine Inch Nails - Closer[/B] vs.					Art Vs Science - Parlez Vous Francais
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony vs.				[B]Eskimo Joe - Black Fingernails Red Wine[/B]
[B]Powderfinger - These Days[/B] vs.					Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out

Don't work in IT, voting anyway, fuck your rules, you don't own me.

Grinspoon - Ready 1 vs. The Herd - 2020

FUCK YOU I CAN'T CHOOSE

The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony vs. Eskimo Joe - Black Fingernails Red Wine

And sometimes there is just no right answer :(

Mondy

Banned
So NBNco just posted a 1 billion dollar annual loss.
In 50 years time, we will all look back on this fiasco as when ignorant old fools kneecapped Australias future for the sake of political point scoring and yet another corporate blowjob (Telstra). Shame.

Everlong is like, one of the best songs of all time. Foo Fighters were amazing back when Grohl was working his arse off to prove he wasn't just Cobain's drummer.

(Nate Mendel was originally from Sunny Day Real Estate, one of the early emo bands! Diary was an awesome album)

Old Man Sam is easily the most well known Spiderbait track for those over 25. Oh, also Buy Me A Pony. DUH. :?

Yum, dem reload animations. Pretty much the only reason I played BF3 SP.

Also, my wife went halves with the in-laws and bought me AC4 for $48 for my birthday today. She has been out at a dinner with the girls and the whole time I thought I wasn't allowed to play it until Thursday, she gets home as is all like, "Did you finish the game already???".

>_<

Imma be tired at work tomorrow!

Dead Man

Everlong is like, one of the best songs of all time. Foo Fighters were amazing back when Grohl was working his arse off to prove he wasn't just Cobain's drummer.

(Nate Mendel was originally from Sunny Day Real Estate, one of the early emo bands! Diary was an awesome album)

Old Man Sam is easily the most well known Spiderbait track for those over 25. Oh, also Buy Me A Pony. DUH. :?

Everlong was always a bit of a limp song to me, never quite felt like it paid off, but that video is a classic. So good.

As for Spiderbait, the song all my crew knew back in the day was Spiderbait - Run Off the same album as Old Man Sam I think. Awesome band.

Yum, dem reload animations. Pretty much the only reason I played BF3 SP.

Also, my wife went halves with the in-laws and bought me AC4 for $48 for my birthday today. She has been out at a dinner with the girls and the whole time I thought I wasn't allowed to play it until Thursday, she gets home as is all like, "Did you finish the game already???".

>_<

Imma be tired at work tomorrow!

Didn't you say your bday was on halloween?

Omikron

If you want to show a video, please link a video, not embed a fucking massive gif. Gaf has enough of them to annoy the shit out of me.

Omikron

No I don't, I blame you for posting it. :p

Nevermind that barely looks any different to the last n BF games really in its shitty low res gif form. Waste of time!

Ha, was wondering why it took a few secs to load up! Try and keep it under 4MB!

Didn't you say your bday was on halloween?
It is! Which is Thursday!

Nevermind that barely looks any different to the last n BF games really in its shitty low res gif form. Waste of time!

Compared to BF3 on PS3/360 it looks a whole level up! That's the point at the end of the day, bring consoles into the range of third party games being 1080p/60fps.

Shaneus

It really fucking is. Video is by Michel Gondry, too.

Never gone out of my way to listen to Foo Fighters, but out of all the rock bands to come out of the 90s, almost definitely my favourite (never mind consistently good, even 20 some-odd years after their inception). Wiped the fucking floor with Nirvana, too. Helps that Grohl et al never seemed to hit a point when they clearly lost it or looked like they tried too hard. Plus the song they did for the miners, that was pretty fucking rad as well.

Plus this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, in NBN news, NBN Co updated the rollout map earlier. If you're in an area that was flagged as "work commenced" prior to election, I'd check to see if that's still the case because it seems every FSAM wherein no physical construction had started has been taken off the rollout. Despite work "commencing" almost 14 months ago, my town is no longer included.

Fuck you, Syntheo.

If you want to show a video, please link a video, not embed a fucking massive gif. Gaf has enough of them to annoy the shit out of me.
And that's why I prefer to browse on MobileGAF nowadays. Wish GAF had the option to hide images and GIFs.

It's pretty funny going into an OT with it turned off.
5DgWPRIl.png

So, in NBN news, NBN Co updated the rollout map earlier.
Yeah, saw that. So bad. I don't even have the shitty second rate NBN in my area.

AC4 is pretty awesome. Level design is back! Definitely not the team(s) who made AC3, although all the mechanics are cribbed across.

Tone of the game is way better, also no bullshit. Just straight in, fuck cunts up, murder and dice up feral pigs, climbing palm trees and jumping around beautiful islands.

Breath of fresh air!

It really fucking is. Video is by Michel Gondry, too.

Never gone out of my way to listen to Foo Fighters, but out of all the rock bands to come out of the 90s, almost definitely my favourite (never mind consistently good, even 20 some-odd years after their inception). Wiped the fucking floor with Nirvana, too. Helps that Grohl et al never seemed to hit a point when they clearly lost it or looked like they tried too hard. Plus the song they did for the miners, that was pretty fucking rad as well.

Plus this.
Yup, love their 90's stuff. Solid gold albums. One By One was pretty solid too.

That miners song was shit though.

So, in NBN news, NBN Co updated the rollout map earlier. If you're in an area that was flagged as "work commenced" prior to election, I'd check to see if that's still the case because it seems every FSAM wherein no physical construction had started has been taken off the rollout. Despite work "commencing" almost 14 months ago, my town is no longer included.

Fuck you, Syntheo.
3 more years JaseC!

Also Syntheo always seemed shoddy as fuck. When they handed back NT I assumed they got royally fucked with a cancellation clause (we have similar ones in place, one of which made the company $1.8 million this year already!).

And that's why I prefer to browse on MobileGAF nowadays. Wish GAF had the option to hide images and GIFs.

It's pretty funny going into an OT with it turned off.
5DgWPRIl.png
Pretty sure there is an extension for that!

Oh for fucks sake, NBN!! I just want Internet. Can I please get some Internet? Thanks for spending all this money on providing those with Internet with even better Internet and letting those without internet be deprived of internet for longer. I mean, why the hell would you even dream of doing that? That's right, you wouldn't. Fuck you all.

Thanks for the heads up, Jase... I think :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
3 more years JaseC!

Also Syntheo always seemed shoddy as fuck. When they handed back NT I assumed they got royally fucked with a cancellation clause (we have similar ones in place, one of which made the company $1.8 million this year already!).

Between the RFS date blowouts and complaints about sub-par/delayed wages, I think it's abundantly clear that Syntheo was taking on more work in order to receive more lump sums from NBN Co, only to pay its subbies peanuts and pocket the rest. What's equally frustrating, though, is that NBN Co turned a blind eye to this the entire time and, well, here we are.

Oh for fucks sake, NBN!! I just want Internet. Can I please get some Internet? Thanks for spending all this money on providing those with Internet with even better Internet and letting those without internet be deprived of internet for longer. I mean, why the hell would you even dream of doing that? That's right, you wouldn't. Fuck you all.

Thanks for the heads up, Jase... I think :/

On the bright side, at least I can now churn without worrying about a 12-month contract overlapping with the possibility of an NBN connection. I've had enough of TPG's inconsistency.

Mondy

Banned
Australia's internet is so fucked. Really gonna gimp the country heading into the mid century.

What else is new. Australia's toxic level of ignorance has always dragged us behind the rest of the developed world on EVERYTHING. Our roads and public transport are a joke and our telecommunications are even worse.

senahorse

Fuck you, Syntheo.

Same situation here, work commenced over 12 months ago, some physical work had been done. Now it's gone from the map, our area was being done by Silcar, sounds like they probably got out of the contract. NBNco and the coalition are a bunch of fucking morons.

Top Bottom