• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Danoss

New Bundle of Holding is up! It has been up for a while, I'm super late posting it. This one is Cthulhu themed and the main interest are the source materials, I know nothing of the games on offer. Kenneth Hite wrote the book on Lovecraft, literally, he has a number of contributions here and they'd be worth a read for anyone interested in the subject matter. I might jump on the cheap bundle just for Dubious Shards, and it'd mean I could give away a copy of the Trail of Cthulhu Players Guide when I run the game and feel less bad for doing so.

On another topic, I've absolutely had it with the neigbourhood cats. For over 24 hours straight now, they've been moaning and screaming and fighting all over my property. In the backyard, on the patio, on the roof, under the house and often directly under our bedrooms when trying to sleep. At least 3 of them have been a menace at any one time with 5 found this morning when I attempted to shoo them away. The cats don't care one iota. I'll scare them off only to have them return as soon as I turn my back.

Looking into my options this morning, there's very little onus on cat owners to do much of anything in regards to controlling them. If they're not being neglected or abused then it's fine. Dog owners need leashes, poop bags, solid fences and more to not be in a position of possibly receiving a fine. Cat owners need none of those things and are only 'encouraged' to keep them inside of an evening with the reason being safety, namely from other cats.

I know these belong to my next-door neighbour, but the father claims they don't belong to them and he's tried contacting various authorities to try and handle them without much luck. Bullshit. His friendly young daughter has put his weights up numerous times talking about her cats when we run into eachother.

These cats have killed two wild birds in my backyard, not recently, but that has happened. A couple of months ago, I was out the front doing some weeding and one newish neighbour I hadn't met approached and asked if I'd seen a particular looking bird, similar to one he was holding, one of his pets. Strangely enough, the morning before I saw down feathers and blood spatter on my patio and wondered what it was from as I had not seen a carcass. I told him the unfortunate news and what the likely culprits were.

Anyway, last night was the final straw. I like to keep my window open for fresh air, but I couldn't afford the luxury due to the racket being made right underneath it. I'm off to the council to arrange a cat trap to catch these little buggers. I'm only allowed to hire one at a time, so I have a feeling there'll be a number of trips back until this problem is resolved.

Kindle MatchBook sounds pretty sweet. I was about to chuck out a whole heap of books, wonder if it counts.

Edit: It's based only on your Amazon purchase history, which doesn't help me all that much, but still a little!

Hopefully they extend that to Book Depository at some point, since they own them. I know myself and many others here would be well set if they did.

Dodo is pretty great down here on ADSL2. Runs on Telstra copper. Cheap as all hell too!

Probably hit and miss depending on territories though.

Dodo was running well until last month. Now, between 5-9pm it slows down to 1/4 the speed, streaming starts lagging and some sites take ages to load. Could be due to a telstra issue but was supposed to have been fixed already. :/

The street opposite to my house is NBN ready according to the rollout map. Fuck this.

Danoss

I thought cats have a curfew? We bring ours in by 6pm at the latest!

Also yeah, 99% of my books are from Book Depository.

Not in NSW at least. You can lodge a complaint for a nuisance cat, which may result in letters being sent to the owners recommending they rectify this problem. There may also be fines if the problems persist. Knowing the rate at which these things move, I imagine this would take far too long.

The lady I spoke to at the council gave me alternative options of capture when I informed her of the situation. A $19.70 bond for the trap and $7.30 hire fee seemed reasonable. For the owner, there will be a fee from the pound if they want it back on top of; animal not registered - $165; animal not microchipped - $165; no identification (collar tag) - $110.

With the cost of retrieval being what they are and a number of other factors, I'm pretty sure I'll never see these things again.

There are 4 different cats that come and lie around in my backyard every day around 4pm. I checked with what neighbours I have, they only have dogs, no cats.

I've been debating setting a trap for some time now. They don't really bother me though, barely make any noise.

As a life long cat owner I just can't understand how people can let their cats roam around at night, it's animal cruelty imo, it'll cut their life expectancy in half.

For us, if the sun is down, they're inside, if nobody's home to check on them once in a while, they're inside.
Never had a cat pass before the age of 18.

markot

Banned
There are 4 different cats that come and lie around in my backyard every day around 4pm. I checked with what neighbours I have, they only have dogs, no cats.

I've been debating setting a trap for some time now. They don't really bother me though, barely make any noise.

Hitler

Mondy

Banned
8wT71oS.jpeg

Do we know if our Target are doing this?

huge steak, baked potato and salad for lunch...

...trying to finish... the rest... the rest of the work day...

...slowly slipping into... meat coma.

halp?

markot

Banned
8wT71oS.jpeg

Do we know if our Target are doing this?

AT FIRST I WAS LIKE WOW THEY DROPPED THE PRICE OF THE PS3! AND THE GAMES! AND THAT ANDROID CONTROL PAD LOOKS LIKE A NICE DEAL ILL GET THAT TOO!!!!!!

THEN ITS AN AMERICAN ADDDDDD.

NEXT UP ILL POST SOME ADS FROM RUSSIA TO GET YOU GUYS HYPED FOR.

Shaneus

another topic, I've absolutely had it with the neigbourhood cats. For over 24 hours straight now, they've been moaning and screaming and fighting all over my property. In the backyard, on the patio, on the roof, under the house and often directly under our bedrooms when trying to sleep. At least 3 of them have been a menace at any one time with 5 found this morning when I attempted to shoo them away. The cats don't care one iota. I'll scare them off only to have them return as soon as I turn my back.
Danoss be surrounded by mad pussy.
Literally.

Durante has been called, but he's still working on Deadly Premonition.
Oh, is that out already? Fuck. Mo' money.

Speaking of which.. Gazunta, is X-COM on iPad worth $10.49? Wasn't there someone else who loved the shit out of it?

Wooooo! Tip off! Congrats on the win dude. Tempted to lash out on a season pass.

Also Kawhi, you so kawaizy :)
Win?

PS. Fuck you, Sony.

AC4 is surprisingly awesome. Mainly due to the awesome level design.

Also I swear the frame rate is higher than the other AC games. Like, much higher at times. Only used to it running this well on PC, AC3 was pretty trudgy in terms of framerate if I remember correctly.

Speaking of which.. Gazunta, is X-COM on iPad worth $10.49? Wasn't there someone else who loved the shit out of it?

Win?

PS. Fuck you, Sony.

I get the impression it's a really really good port to iOS. Like really good.

Win for Lakers.

Also did you call them over the phone or is this all still by email? Seems most cases get a positive result if you pester them over the phone.

Shaneus

Also did you call them over the phone or is this all still by email? Seems most cases get a positive result if you pester them over the phone.
First two or three points of contact was by phone. They told me they'd look into it and get back to me in 10 business days, and from that point forth it's been all email. Might give them a call tomorrow maybe, but I think that with what they've written now it'd probably be useless.

Also, Spelunky is half-price on Steam until the 2nd of Nov. Three great gaming deals today: TotD, Spelunky and X-COM. WTF.

So if my quick google search is correct, the only mention of Black Mirror in ausgaf was by midonnay last year after the first episode aired. (miss that guy)

It's a British miniseries created by Charlie Brooker.

QDd4D3Qm.jpg

You may know him from Screenwipe, Newswipe Weeklywipe or...

Each episode of Black Mirror is a different scenario with a different cast. They're set in the near future and feature technology and media as we know them but in a slightly off-kilter way, or with an innovative take that has altered society.
It's hard to say much without spoiling it.

But it is such a great little show. I just watched Season 1 (3 episodes) this week after having it in my bookmarks folder of 'TV shows to watch' for a while.

Of what I've watched, the 2nd episode is the best. It was such an affecting piece of television. It reminds me of shows like Band of Brothers, The Wire, The Shield in so much as while unrelated in content, they are all engrossing and once finished you just sit there for a while soaking in how awesome what you just watched was. It's just well-crafted high quality TV. Watch it.

Gazunta

YES YES YES FUCKING YES BUY THIS GAME IT IS REAL AND SPECTACULAR ON IPAD

It won't run on OG iPad but I absolutely adore it on my Mini. God I just adore this game.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So if my quick google search is correct, the only mention of Black Mirror in ausgaf was by midonnay last year after the first episode aired. (miss that guy)

It's a British miniseries created by Charlie Brooker.

QDd4D3Qm.jpg

You may know him from Screenwipe, Newswipe Weeklywipe or...

Each episode of Black Mirror is a different scenario with a different cast. They're set in the near future and feature technology and media as we know them but in a slightly off-kilter way, or with an innovative take that has altered society.
It's hard to say much without spoiling it.

But it is such a great little show. I just watched Season 1 (3 episodes) this week after having it in my bookmarks folder of 'TV shows to watch' for a while.

Of what I've watched, the 2nd episode is the best. It was such an affecting piece of television. It reminds me of shows like Band of Brothers, The Wire, The Shield in so much as while unrelated in content, they are all engrossing and once finished you just sit there for a while soaking in how awesome what you just watched was. It's just well-crafted high quality TV. Watch it.

theres been much talk about it in steam chat :)

Omikron

I do enjoy the schadenfreude of a console launch a bit much, two is almost overkill.

Today's amusement:
CoD confirmed 720p on Xbone, 1080 native on ps4, both 60fps.

PS4 loses DLNA and can't play mp3s.

Dead Man

I do enjoy the schadenfreude of a console launch a bit much, two is almost overkill.

Today's amusement:
CoD confirmed 720p on Xbone, 1080 native on ps4, both 60fps.

What? Jesus, what a fucking stupid thing consoles are.

jambo

Has anyone here ever had an issue with missing executables for Source games?

I've been getting the following error when trying to launch Garry's Mod

fsZq7jS.png

I've tried everything the Steam Support Wiki has told me to no avail =[

EDIT: Would it be possible for someone to upload the gmod exe to mediafire or some such, might be that simple?

Pretty annoyed about that, on top of it not being able to play audio CDs.

I've used my PS3 to play CDs and MP3s at parties so many times. The visualiser is awesome and it was so handy.

Danoss

If this were the case, I wouldn't mind that much. Unfortunately it's the exact opposite and I will be glad to see the back of these little shits.

As a life long cat owner I just can't understand how people can let their cats roam around at night, it's animal cruelty imo, it'll cut their life expectancy in half.

For us, if the sun is down, they're inside, if nobody's home to check on them once in a while, they're inside.
Never had a cat pass before the age of 18.

The difference between a responsible cat owner and a stereotypical one. It's ridiculous how much of a disparity there is between the requirements of a cat owner and a dog owner.

Danoss be surrounded by mad pussy.
Literally.

I love it!

I also awoke this morning to see the release of a new Bad Religion album, called 'Christmas Songs'. It was an interesting choice for a title, I thought, wondered why, and read on. Well, it is exactly what it says, a collection of Christmas songs sung by a non-religious punk band. Apparently Greg Graffin was a choir boy in his youth.

The funny thing is that 20% of proceeds from this album go to SNAP (Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests). They also set the album up for streaming in full on YouTube.

The cat trap should be delivered any minute now. When paying for it yesterday, the $7.30 hire fee covers the use of it for a full week. That'll be as many of them as I can catch in that period, hopefully the lot!

Gazunta

BTW, Charlie Brooker used to be a game reviewer and cartoonist, and he was stonkingly good at both those things.

I hate him so much

j/k

or am I

I've seen one episode of the first series of Black Mirror when it aired on SBS. It was the one where people ride the exercise bikes to earn creditsand they live in tiny rooms with advertising on all the time.

I can't say I liked it heaps, I watched the whole thing but it didn't make me want to go out of my way to watch the others.

I get the impression the video/audio stuff is waiting on dedicated apps going by the wording. Same thing with themes.

Sony like money, so ignoring those 3 areas wouldn't make sense. Surprised that Spotify didn't have an app confirmed yet.

hamchan

Kindle Paperwhite 2 arrived, now to start binge reading again.
I go very off and on with reading, some years I'll try to read more than 50 books, other years, like this one, I'll read near 0 books.

I set the goal of 52 books. I've read 34 and am 9 books behind schedule according to goodreads. I'm reading a couple of short books at the moment (Heart of Darkness and Animal Farm) which will help. Once uni finishes I should be able to crank up the pace.

I've seen one episode of the first series of Black Mirror when it aired on SBS. It was the one where people ride the exercise bikes to earn creditsand they live in tiny rooms with advertising on all the time.

I can't say I liked it heaps, I watched the whole thing but it didn't make me want to go out of my way to watch the others.

That one was my favourite and now you're on the list.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Just found out I have 2 practical and 2 written exams in the week leading up to the meet up. Jesus I'm gonna need a drink or 5

Stackboy

So either my Samsung 40" LCD is going to be repaired today, or it's not going to work and I'm going to need to buy a new LCD.

I've been looking at 40" Samsung LCD's and the best price I've found is around $800. Anyone know of a better bargain?

lexi

Banned
Yeah you can probably get a bigger plasma for cheaper.

Plasma's are harder to maintain though, in my opinion. AND DIE EARLY ON YOU!

Top Bottom