• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Rezbit

What else is new. Australia's toxic level of ignorance has always dragged us behind the rest of the developed world on EVERYTHING. Our roads and public transport are a joke and our telecommunications are even worse.

Too true. But hey, as long as the miners and farmers are making a buck, it doesn't matter amirite?!

Arksy

Is the Origin server like in my basement?

Is there any reason I'm downloading bf4 at 3mb/s that I might be unaware of?

I said god damn.

Frawdder

So, in NBN news, NBN Co updated the rollout map earlier. If you're in an area that was flagged as "work commenced" prior to election, I'd check to see if that's still the case because it seems every FSAM wherein no physical construction had started has been taken off the rollout. Despite work "commencing" almost 14 months ago, my town is no longer included.

Fuck you, Syntheo.
Damn, taken out of the zone, down the road is still fine but my house now outside it.

Work commenced probably 12-18 months ago too (maybe more but can't remember).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dodo is pretty great down here on ADSL2. Runs on Telstra copper. Cheap as all hell too!

Probably hit and miss depending on territories though.

I think I'll try my luck with VeeTel -- its unlimited plan is $10 less a month and unlike my grandfathered TPG plan is ADSL2+. I'm too far from the exchange to see an increase in download speed, but the ~1Mbps upload will be much appreciated. My problem is that I'm stuck on an exchange with only Telstra Wholesale infrastructure and desire at least 300GB for $80 or less, so the likes of iiNet and Internode are out of the question.

Damn, taken out of the zone, down the road is still fine but my house now outside it.

Work commenced probably 12-18 months ago too (maybe more but can't remember).

There are reports on Whirlpool of FSAMs that were well into the construction phase being yanked, too (Edit: I see x3n05 falls under this particularly unlucky banner). One bloke said that his area is now no longer shaded even though the rollout had reached the PCD phase, but I wouldn't be surprised if areas wherein fibre has already been laid reappear on the map as "build commenced" sites at some point.

Edit edit: The rollout here in WA is now completely buggered, though. As of today there are only 11 FSAMs under construction in the entire state, Syntheo's second and final contract expires next month (though I believe it's still obligated to continue working until early next year), and Downer's contract is only worth a paltry $10m. With the Coalition insisting upon its FTTN charade, there's a very real chance no further contracts will be awarded until after the government finally (and begrudgingly) admits that FTTH is the way forward, which could be months away. What a joke.

I'll give it a go. Removed the ones I didn't care for.

HOLY CHECK PRESENTS: AUSGAF BATTLES.

VOTE NOW - Bold your choice!

(really this is just an excuse for people who work in IT to spend more time on youtube so they can listen to these..

Code:
[B]Powderfinger - D.A.F[/B] vs. 					Sarah Blasko - Don't U Eva
TLC - Waterfalls vs.					 	[B]The Cops - Call Me Anytime[/B] 
[B]The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Impression That I Get[/B] vs. 	John Butler Trio - Good Excuse
Everclear - So Much For The Afterglow vs.			 [B]Birds of Tokyo - This Fire[/B]
Badly Drawn Boy - Silent Sigh vs. 				[B]The Strokes - Juicebox[/B]
[B]Garbage - Push It[/B] vs.					 	Bliss N Eso - Down By The River 
Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby vs. 			[B]Coldplay - Clocks[/B]
[B]Grinspoon - Ready 1[/B] vs. 					The Herd - 2020
They Might Be Giants - New York City vs. 			[B]Powderfinger - Stumblin'[/B]
[B]Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication[/B] vs. 			Kanye West - Love Lockdown
[B]Ween - Push Th' Little Daisies[/B] vs.			 	Missy Higgins - Scar
[B]Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye[/B] vs.				 	MGMT - Kids
[B]Smashing Pumpkins - Dancing In The Moonlight (Acoustic)[/B] vs. 	Nero - Promises 
[B]Spiderbait - Outta My Head[/B] vs. 					System of a Down - B.Y.O.B
[B]Grinspoon - Just Ace[/B] vs. 					The Wombats - Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves)
[B]R.E.M. - The Man On The Moon[/B] vs. 				Seth Sentry - Float Away
[B]Foo Fighters - Disenchanted Lullaby[/B] vs. 			Snow Patrol - Hands Open
[B]Korn - Freak On a Leash[/B] vs. 					Bluejuice - Act Yr Age

and now for the side battle
5 top 5 songs from the respective periods:

[B]Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings[/B] vs. 		Hilltop Hoods - Chase That Feeling
[B]Placebo - Every You Every Me[/B] vs. 				Kings of Leon - On Call
Nine Inch Nails - Closer vs.					[B]Art Vs Science - Parlez Vous Francais[/B]
[B]The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony[/B] vs.				Eskimo Joe - Black Fingernails Red Wine
[B]Powderfinger - These Days[/B] vs.					Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out

No they did not, but they also didn't say it wasn't either. The new details emerging that the exclusive is for 'life' is the change in message.
I don't think it's a change in message, when reporting like this occurred during the initial announcement: "...is set to be an Xbox console exclusive, with Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC versions planned for release in spring 2014...".

The biggest story here is that many are now expecting "exclusive" to mean "timed exclusive" unless it's from a first-party owned developer. I was never under the impression it was going to anything other than Microsoft platforms (not that I am interested in either buying a PS4 or this game, really).

Stackboy

I listened to Dig music last night for a good 2 hours with my fiance (that's not getting old) and we both really enjoyed it. It jumped around the decades and also played some stuff we didn't recognise, but still liked. It's now my go to radio station. I'll be listening to it in the car on the phone, on the way to work.

Also, Spelunky is 50% off today on Steam.

Wtf, did I just watch a romantic fireworks scene in pokemon????!!

That was really weirrrrrrrrrd

The weirdest part is you get the same cut scene with Shauna(?) if you play as a girl.

So, in NBN news, NBN Co updated the rollout map earlier. If you're in an area that was flagged as "work commenced" prior to election, I'd check to see if that's still the case because it seems every FSAM wherein no physical construction had started has been taken off the rollout. Despite work "commencing" almost 14 months ago, my town is no longer included.

Fuck you, Syntheo.
Urgh. Why are only the not-really-part-of-Brisbane-proper suburbs completed :| Welp, time to move to Inala if I want decent internet.

ijrzms6dqyy070he19.gif

I'll forgive the transgression due to your age young lady!
My mistake sir.

hamchan

I don't think it's a change in message, when reporting like this occurred during the initial announcement: "...is set to be an Xbox console exclusive, with Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC versions planned for release in spring 2014...".

The biggest story here is that many are now expecting "exclusive" to mean "timed exclusive" unless it's from a first-party owned developer. I was never under the impression it was going to anything other than Microsoft platforms (not that I am interested in either buying a PS4 or this game, really).

Vince Zampella just confirmed that it was timed exclusive and that he only found out recently that EA made a deal for full exclusivity.

That's pretty crazy.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Anyone know a good cheapish laptop for a kid to use for a few years that at least has a discrete GPU so it doesn't suck ass during games?

Like under $1k

I'm struggling to find anything.

senahorse

Anyone know a good cheapish laptop for a kid to use for a few years that at least has a discrete GPU so it doesn't suck ass during games?

Like under $1k

I'm struggling to find anything.

What games? You play a lot of dota, people have found that to run find on the surface.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What games? You play a lot of dota, people have found that to run find on the surface.

For a friend's kid. He is like 10, wants it to last a few years. Only plays the basics like minecraft and shit these days but i'm guessing he might expand as time goes on.

Shaneus

Hahaha, Typing of the Dead: Overkill. Sega are still pretty awesome sometimes.
WHAT?!?!?!?

The Japanese version of TotD was one of the greatest games on DC. US version less so, only because the slightly different spelling mucked me up.

Fake edit: They have those big, chewy pretzels here and... it's ONLY TEN DOLLARS?!? GET OUTTA HERE. If everyone doesn't buy this I will shoot and kill them. Can't believe it'll have co-op AND the full regular Overkill game included. That's amazing.

No shit, GOTY.

Bargin Octopus: Any current codes for GMG? Is there maybe a Halloween one that would apply to TotD?
Edit: GMG20-50Z66-SCTEU to bring it to $8. Got damnit, Sega. I love you so freakin' much.

senahorse

Yeah most games (even some brand new AAA titles) can be made to run fine for the surface. Having said that, it's not a device for a 10yr old, I would probably check out the cheaper Asus models that MSY stock.

Omikron

WHAT?!?!?!?

The Japanese version of TotD was one of the greatest games on DC. US version less so, only because the slightly different spelling mucked me up.

Fake edit: They have those big, chewy pretzels here and... it's ONLY TEN DOLLARS?!? GET OUTTA HERE. If everyone doesn't buy this I will shoot and kill them. Can't believe it'll have co-op AND the full regular Overkill game included. That's amazing.

No shit, GOTY.

Bargin Octopus: Any current codes for GMG? Is there maybe a Halloween one that would apply to TotD?

720p. Be warned.

That shit is becoming far too common.

It was a nice day

So i stayed inside and played games.

And finished Beyond. Eh.

And GTAV. Ho.

And so, for me, that was the Sony Playstation 3. Its going to be a dvd/Bluray/netflix machine for the bedroom.

Aso, fuck whoever designed the level with the
stairs
in Luigi's Mansion 2.

Will start wind waker HD next.

jambo

How the... what the?

Sega have been pretty on-point with the majority of their stuff in the last few years, I'm sure it'll be fixed. Any idea if there's discussion here (or anywhere else) why they would've done that?

Durante has been called, but he's still working on Deadly Premonition.

2SeeKU

TOTD is one game l don't really need to look pretty. I still have the original TOTD installed on my PC!!

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned but it's cheaper form GMG.

Top Bottom