• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Fredescu

It's not the education system that has a left wing bias... it's reality

Honestly I think reality is centrist. That is, there is no grand theory that works for all social organisation. It just happens that the mainstream right is working against the data that we have at the moment. I think if "we" started moving left, we could eventually move far enough left that the data would be against those trying to take it further left. I think it's better to side with the data than to claim allegiance to any particular side. Unfortunately siding with the data necessarily entails changing your mind on things from time to time, and this is seen as politically weak.

jambo

mYErxBI.gif

aqfeV18.gif

I got absolutely no work done yesterday thanks to GAF, and I can already see today is going to be the same.

I'm a sucker for rumour threads, and love the way people start to flip out around console launch time. I log on today to see new rumour threads, and now I see that Battlefield 4 and AC4 embargos lift today. Yeah.... no work today.

Danoss

Danoss, I'm finding the Kindle Paperwhite light to be pretty great. There are many increments to the brightness setting, so it's very likely that you'll find a setting that works for you. I think I've settled on 7 (out of 24) which is dull enough not to be annoying in a completely black room, and not to even notice there's a light on in normal lighting. I'm sure you could make it bright in bright light and dull in dull light but I'd prefer to have one preferred setting and not to have to fiddle.

x3n05, after a bit of time with the touch screen, it has it's pros and cons. It's definitely nice and responsive and only needs a light tap or flick to turn the page. It's much easier to look up the definition of a word with a long touch instead of tap tap tapping with the keys to hunt for the word. The long touch brings up a dialog with two tabs, one for the dictionary and one for wikipedia, which is pretty awesome. If you're a dullard like me, this is super handy.

The main downside to it is that I've read when reading to toddlers it's good to point at the words, but doing this is a complete pain when you can't touch the screen.

Thanks for that, Fred. I saw this yesterday and didn't even have a spare second to reply. This is a rushed reply as I have to dash out, so it may be a little jumbled.

I liked the idea that the light system was designed to essentially front light the screen so it would still read like a book and not like other screens. Reading for lengthy periods on a tablet or monitor is very fatiguing, and I hope the reality of the Kindle light is as good as it was intended to be.

I'd imagine it is best suited to dim light situations, whereas a complete lack of light would likely still introduce eye strain after a while due to the extreme contrast. Still better than a tablet or monitor as it wouldn't be shooting the light directly into your eyes. Hopefully I've got the right idea with this, let me know if I'm off the mark by too much. I'm glad you're liking it though and it's good to hear that I'm not missing out on too much by sticking with my Kindle 2.

I wouldn't have even thought of the touch screen being an issue in the manner you have discovered. Kids definitely give you a different perspective on many different things, even having friends with kids is eye-opening in a number of ways. Books are great at being books.

Speaking of books, I'm sharing this article well after it was posted, that's what happens when you don't check social media feeds for a while. It's a great read and a shame that it needs to be brought to peoples attention in the first place. Neil Gaiman: Why our future depends on libraries, reading and daydreaming.

Lexi, that's a typical Australian accent of someone with a decent education of artistic temperament being articulate rather than full on bogan.

not even 50% Strine.

lol @ people in other states thinking their accent is that different. The australian accent tends to be more based on education, socio-economic background, ethnic background (I have cousins who sound nothing like me) and city versus rural/semi rural.

The rumour mill is going nuts. MS must be in meltdown etc. Fire trucks and people panicking in Redmond.
*looks out window* nope

Sounds pretty normal for people who work in development to write off their own projects. It's a particular kind of self-deprecation you get even from people who've shipped a few products. They start shitting themselves when something isn't a Gold master candidate weeks or months before a GMC is due.

I don't doubt there are issues. I just have faith they will be fixed
before I get a Xbox next year post price cut

edit: cboat said it far more eloquently than I ever could. GAF's poet laureate

jambo

lol @ people in other states thinking their accent is that different. The australian accent tends to be more based on education, socio-economic background, ethnic background (I have cousins who sound nothing like me) and city versus rural/semi rural.

No one outside of Adelaide can pronounce dance properly.

Fredescu

The australian accent tends to be more based on education, socio-economic background, ethnic background (I have cousins who sound nothing like me) and city versus rural/semi rural.

And whether or not you're from Queensland.

I'd imagine it is best suited to dim light situations, whereas a complete lack of light would likely still introduce eye strain after a while due to the extreme contrast.

I imagine it is. I don't read in the dark for long, but it's super handy when I'm putting the lad to sleep and he's on the edge of sleep for 5-10 minutes. I can read while he sleeps a bit deeper and doesn't notice when I leave.

Dead Man

Alright, listened to it, you sound fine Lexi, you sound like someone who was a bit nervous about being interviewed, but your voice is good. No accent worries.

Killzone, Knack, controllers and the camera for the PS4 are already out for sale in the US :(

Thanks for the link Rep!
No problem Gaz!

I don't doubt there are issues. I just have faith they will be fixed before I get a Xbox next year post price cut
Well yeah, that's what most people are saying. Will be possibly tons of issues at launch but should be cleaned up by Easter.

Didn't we learn anything from the 360 launch?
The games are shit, the hardware will fucking exploded after a few months and you should just play superior version of the great games on PC for the first year until first party studios wrap their heads around the new hardware.

Gazunta

Today's Kickstarter update:

There was a Kickstarter information event held in Brisbane, that I didn't get notified about.

Kickstarter have yet to verify my identity.

Shipping objects to the states is FUCKING EXPENSIVE AGH

That is all.

Roll on November 13!

OH HAI GUYS

ITS ME

8.png

THA BARGRIN OCTUPUS!!!

ITS THAT TIEM IN THE GENERASION AGAIN!

END OF GEN!!!

THAT MEANS BARGRINS AT LUNCH!!!

Today's speical is Target.

They have a delightful little number called Batham Arkham Orings for only $48 on 360/PS3!!!!!

Next up is this slinky little minx called AssCreed Black Flag 4 for only $48 on 360/PS3!!!!!!

Make sure to see your waiter (or watever you call those peoople who stand at the front of the mealbarn and show you to your seat is called) when you go in the door as they will have these nifty little coupons that will allow the above, delicious, prices for the next week!

So the Killzone 4 PS4 Bundles are unofficially official.

Just got the call from a mate at JB to come pre order. I'm at work so the wife is going to pop in

He reckons the bundle will land Christmas Eve for $699.

senahorse

So NVidia Shadowplay sounds pretty great. I can record all my gameplay with little/no performance impact on the game, need to give it a whirl. It will be nice to capture the insane and buggy moments experienced in game.

Thanks for all the nice / somewhat reassuring comments. I love AusGAF.

So long as you and your gutteral twang stay the heck away from Madelaide. City of Darnce.

jk, any city where you can walk to the airport from the CBD in your lunch break is all right by me

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
OMG MEETUPS!

RadelaideGAF/Not So BadelaideGAF
When: November 15th 5-6pm ONWARDS
Where: Elephant?
Attending: HolyCheck, Jambo, Frawdder, Lucian Cat, Dead Man, Mr Tone
Maybe:turtlesbonanza
Not Attending:
Why: Because Jambo has no real friends

MelbGAF until it drunkenly becomes mitchgaf and aniseed and holycheck eat kebabs drunkenly at 5am again
When: November 8th 5-6pm Onwards
Where: BEER FUCKING DELUX???LOL.
Attending:HolyCheck, Aniseed, cosdwallop, lafiel
Maybe: Megadrive, DeathJr
Not Attending:
Why: Because.

KEEN? QUOTE POST AND LET ME KNOW.

jambo

Somebody from Sydney is having adequacy issues. Point, laugh, move on.

I can kind of get a small joke article about the result, but going through and doing 12 sections and a couple of paragraphs on each is a bit over the top.

Plus it isn't really that funny, most of the "jokes" are 10-15 years old and the guy shits on Lonely Planet for no real reason either.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I can kind of get a small joke article about the result, but going through and doing 12 sections and a couple of paragraphs on each is a bit over the top.

Plus it isn't really that funny, most of the "jokes" are 10-15 years old and the guy shits on Lonely Planet for no real reason either.

this is the blurb from the homepage for the article:"

Was Lonely Planet drunk when it rated Adelaide?
FACT: Adelaide is awesome. Adelaide kicks your city's butt. Lonely Planet reckons it is the world's 9th best city. This is a joke, right?

Dead Man

Yeah, there's jokes to be made, but you have to be a lot cleverer than that guy to do so. Not very clever, mind you, just a lot more clever than him.

Well I feel reassured now.

Top Bottom