• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Arksy

Anyone know a thing or two about DSLR cameras? I'm looking to pick one up today or tomorrow before I fly overseas.

Not sure what to get, I'm too much of a newbie on the topic of cameras. I just want something decent that'll take good shots and has a viewfinder.

Kritz

Banned
Y'know, that BF4 footage looks surprisingly decent. Has that game hit sub-$45 yet?

It's been out for, what, half a week? That seems long enough for some euro retail store to start selling it cheap.

Anyone know a thing or two about DSLR cameras? I'm looking to pick one up today or tomorrow before I fly overseas.

Not sure what to get, I'm too much of a newbie on the topic of cameras. I just want something decent that'll take good shots and has a viewfinder.

no one is this thread has any strong opinions on that subject. at all. nope. not a one.

Danoss

I'm happy to oblige, but there's a number of questions I'd have to ask before feeling I could give a helpful answer. If you're up to a chat on mumble or something it'd sure make it a lot quicker and easier.

no one is this thread has any strong opinions on that subject. at all. nope. not a one.

I'm certainly not one of them and I totally didn't eat a ban for refusing to put up with idiots on the topic. Definitely not me.

Depends, where are you travelling overseas and quite possibly will be cheaper to buy abroad.

Y'know, that BF4 footage looks surprisingly decent. Has that game hit sub-$45 yet?

It's been out for, what, half a week? That seems long enough for some euro retail store to start selling it cheap.

$42 via Mexican VPN on origin.

Arksy

I'm happy to oblige, but there's a number of questions I'd have to ask before feeling I could give a helpful answer. If you're up to a chat on mumble or something it'd sure make it a lot quicker and easier.

I don't have a mic handy, but if you'd like to send me the mumble details I'd appreciate your help!

Depends, where are you travelling overseas and quite possibly will be cheaper to buy abroad.

I'm not too certain, first port of call will be Istanbul and I'll definitely want a camera for that city. I doubt it'll be cheaper to be honest, especially factoring in the GST TRS.

I don't have a mic handy, but if you'd like to send me the mumble details I'd appreciate your help!

I'm not too certain, first port of call will be Istanbul and I'll definitely want a camera for that city. I doubt it'll be cheaper to be honest, especially factoring in the GST TRS.

That's fair enough. If you were going somewhere like the states it would be a different story.

How much do origin care about VPN purchases?

They don't. I think gmg had it cheap $48 recently, but again you have to use a VPN.

Shaneus

Anyone in the market for a good pair of portable headphones should order these: http://www.oo.com.au/Sennheiser-High-Fidelity-Metal_P205027.cfm

$70 delivered, and they usually go for $200+
Wow, thank you! I wonder why they're so cheap?!?

Never heard of that model before, but it looks like Head-Fi given them the thumbs up, so I can only imagine that for $70 there the headphone deal of the century. That, and I haven't owned a pair of earbuds in forever (compared to IEMs).

legend166

So my PC is busted. It just boots directly into the Windows Repair utility, which says it can't repair the problem.

The BIOS can recognise my Windows drive, so I'm pretty sure it's not dead. It might be corrupted, but I don't have another PC to test it in.

I'm thinking it may be a virus somehow, so I put the AVG rescue disk on a USB stick, changed the boot priority, aaaand it still boots into Windows Repair.

This is the first time I've had major PC problems in years. And it sucks.

Edit: Wait, I got it to boot into the rescue drive. Using the file explorer utility, I can see my SSD (which has Windows on it) and stuff so it's not dead.

This virus scan is going to take awhile.

Kritz

Banned
So my PC is busted. It just boots directly into the Windows Repair utility, which says it can't repair the problem.

The BIOS can recognise my Windows drive, so I'm pretty sure it's not dead. It might be corrupted, but I don't have another PC to test it in.

I'm thinking it may be a virus somehow, so I put the AVG rescue disk on a USB stick, changed the boot priority, aaaand it still boots into Windows Repair.

This is the first time I've had major PC problems in years. And it sucks.

Edit: Wait, I got it to boot into the rescue drive. Using the file explorer utility, I can see my SSD (which has Windows on it) and stuff so it's not dead.

This virus scan is going to take awhile.

Probably not remotely the problem, but is the hdd selected as the boot device? I had some trouble with an old samsung ssd where my mobo bios would randomly forget where it is in the boot order and try to boot off another hdd.

But, hey, if you can see the files on your HDD, worst case you can just backup all your data (assuming there actually aren't any viruses) and wipe the thing with a fresh OS.

legend166

Probably not remotely the problem, but is the hdd selected as the boot device? I had some trouble with an old samsung ssd where my mobo bios would randomly forget where it is in the boot order and try to boot off another hdd.

But, hey, if you can see the files on your HDD, worst case you can just backup all your data (assuming there actually aren't any viruses) and wipe the thing with a fresh OS.

Yeah the boot order was okay. I'm thinking that may be what I'll do. Just need to find my Windows 7 disc.

Never heard of that model before, but it looks like Head-Fi given them the thumbs up, so I can only imagine that for $70 there the headphone deal of the century. That, and I haven't owned a pair of earbuds in forever (compared to IEMs).
Yeah, I'm in the market for new IEMs, no way I could go to ear buds. About to pull the plug on some Hifiman RE-400s.

Shaneus

Does it have a mic as well? Would the volume controls work with Andriod?
Volume controls aren't remote-controls, just look to be an in-line resistive setup (as in, it controls the volume between the jack and the speakers, not on the device itself). Giveaway is the jack itself, which only has three parts to the sleeve: positive left, positive right and ground. If it had a mic or remote control option, it would have a fourth.

The more you know :)

IEM or bust for me at this point, no way I could go back to buds :(
If they're good, they're good. For that price and quality, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Danoss

Sure thing, mumble details are - mumble.danoss.net:3487

Quote for password.

I've also included my email address if I happen to take too long to reply as I have today. You can use that in the traditional fashion or to add me on G+ if you want to use hangouts or something as an alternative.

Arksy

Sure thing, mumble details are - mumble.danoss.net:3487

Quote for password.

I've also included my email address if I happen to take too long to reply as I have today. You can use that in the traditional fashion or to add me on G+ if you want to use hangouts or something as an alternative.

Excellent! I'm there.

IEM or bust for me at this point, no way I could go back to buds :(

I actually really dislike IEM's. I don't know... maybe I haven't found the right pair? They feel really invasive. I had a decent pair of earbuds and I was really pleased with them until they busted. By all accounts these Sennheiser ones sound better and have much better build quality... for about the same price!

Dead Man

Move to new house, migrate internet - 5-10 working days. Okay, I can use my phone. Gets to new address... no reception on the phone. FUUUUUUCK. Hopefully back online Wed/Thu next week, but maybe not till the week after, going to be a long week :/

Move to new house, migrate internet - 5-10 working days. Okay, I can use my phone. Gets to new address... no reception on the phone. FUUUUUUCK. Hopefully back online Wed/Thu next week, but maybe not till the week after, going to be a long week :/

Worst nightmare realised.
Don't have too much fun!

Danoss

I actually really dislike IEM's. I don't know... maybe I haven't found the right pair? They feel really invasive. I had a decent pair of earbuds and I was really pleased with them until they busted. By all accounts these Sennheiser ones sound better and have much better build quality... for about the same price!

They're certainly not for everyone, some just don't like the feeling of things going inside the ear canal. I had a pair of Sennheiser CX300 yonks ago (before I knew much of anything in this area) and thought they were great, until I heard another pair and realised how muddy the sound was; they're listenable but a lot of the lower end frequencies really need to be reigned in.

Being at home a lot, I don't use earphones often, but I'm currently using a pair of Brainwavz M2 and really like them.

Gah, that's frustrating!

Disconnecting is rather freeing and you can quickly see how much of the online sphere you can do without. I found that I can do without most of it. Of course, if it's not a choice and a connection is needed for whatever reason, then it's pretty shitty.

IEMs definitely aren't for everyone. Better ones will have interchangeable buds so you'll likely be able to find ones that fit. If you can get a good fit, creating a proper seal, the isolation is fantastic and the resulting sound can be incredible. Ear buds don't even compare, you have to have the volume louder to compensate for the lack of isolation.

My previous ones were Shure SE215s (recommended by AusGAF!), which I really liked (perhaps a little bassy), but the cable connections corroded and broke (on the ear piece end, ironically, since the cables are replaceable), so the Hifiman RE-400s are the ones I'm going for.

Shaneus

Have you used Comply tips with any IEMs? They really make them shine and are essential, IMO.

Danoss

Have you used Comply tips with any IEMs? They really make them shine and are essential, IMO.

I was going to mention those in my post, but I just posted it so I could talk to Arksy.

I tried those when I lost my tips for a set of Ultimate Ears. I didn't get the fuss that people were making over the Comply after listening to them. The sound was just anemic, mids were so thin and the low end was just non-existent. If they were silicone, this would be indicative of being a poor fit. I tried different sizes to be sure and had no luck with any of them.

Shaneus

Oh, I wasn't referring to any particular sound that came from them... just their sealing properties. If all tips sealed the same (regardless of rubber or foam or whatever) I wouldn't have known there was a difference in the sound between them!

I do like the Comply ones that have the wax protection filter on them, though. That was a constant bane of having IEMs :/

I haven't tried them, and several people have mentioned that's the way to go so one of these days I will investigate!

Mind you, ear buds/IEM's for me would just be for travel. I generally use a set of Beyer DT-250's and they amaze me with their sound quality. I've had them for about 5 years and they are still kicking strong, even though I often lug them around in my backpack.

Yeah... love headphones, and I really feel like I'm missing out by not appreciating IEMs.

Yeah... love headphones, and I really feel like I'm missing out by not appreciating IEMs.
If it helps, my first aforementioned set of IEMs hurt a bit for the first week until I got used to the whole idea (and tried different ear buds - the silicon ones were very painful, memory foam way more comfortable and better seal).

hamchan

I'd jump on that cheap BF4 if I wasn't afraid I'd be playing it by myself most of the time and having a miserable experience.

Deeku

i needa get some new iems too, my shure 530s are semi broken after five years. i got those free back then so i don't really wanna pay so much for good iems. but i also don't want inferior sound:/

though the difference between like 2 and 3 drivers is probably not that big a deal. need to go try the lower tier ones and compare.

Mannnn I love being a pirate. Just sailing the seas, trawling for easy marks to blast the shit out of and then sell for sweet, sweet gems.

No service, how does that happen!

Oh right, South Australia :/

IEMs definitely aren't for everyone. Better ones will have interchangeable buds so you'll likely be able to find ones that fit. If you can get a good fit, creating a proper seal, the isolation is fantastic and the resulting sound can be incredible. Ear buds don't even compare, you have to have the volume louder to compensate for the lack of isolation.
Yeah the changeable buds are pretty handy. Love that they just seal up and you don't hear the outside world, even at low volume.
Means I can step out of the office at lunch time, put on some music and just tune out the day.
For at least 10 minutes I'm on my own little island.

If it helps, my first aforementioned set of IEMs hurt a bit for the first week until I got used to the whole idea (and tried different ear buds - the silicon ones were very painful, memory foam way more comfortable and better seal).
Ah that would suck, never had an issue with the UE silicon ones. Still rocking a bunch of cheap ones! Once I lose/break these 2 sets I might look at upgrading. I tend to just stash them in my jacket pocket though so there is always the chance of losing/damaging them lol

Shaneus

I haven't tried them, and several people have mentioned that's the way to go so one of these days I will investigate!

Mind you, ear buds/IEM's for me would just be for travel. I generally use a set of Beyer DT-250's and they amaze me with their sound quality. I've had them for about 5 years and they are still kicking strong, even though I often lug them around in my backpack.

I really don't have an occasion for IEM buds now... I have my HD-25s for DJing and home listening and V-Jays for daily wear (being light and open, they still sound good but for walking around the CBD you can still hear traffic and such quite easily). Plus, they're also good for whipping them off when talking to people rather than faffing about getting buds out and back in.

I guess if these buds work I'll go back to them as they're generally not as finicky as IEMs, so we'll see.

My previous ones were Shure SE215s (recommended by AusGAF!), which I really liked (perhaps a little bassy), but the cable connections corroded and broke (on the ear piece end, ironically, since the cables are replaceable), so the Hifiman RE-400s are the ones I'm going for.

The SE215s are what I've had for a few weeks now and they're pretty great. It's nice being able to lower the device volume so much (compared to non-IEMS) and still be received sufficiently loud. When/if they eventually break I might move on to the Re-400s now too. They look sexy.

So I thought I would give this Dig radio thing a go, since I am pretty much the target audience. First song I hear is Fuckford and Sons... Not a good first impression!

jambo

So I thought I would give this Dig radio thing a go, since I am pretty much the target audience. First song I hear is Fuckford and Sons... Not a good first impression!

You'll be glad about this then

Mumford & Sons Taking A Break For 'A Considerable Amount Of Time'

"We just know we’re going to take a considerable amount of time off and just go back to hanging out and having no commitments or pressure or anything like that," Lovett told Rolling Stone. "It feels like the last week of school right now, before school holiday when you’re in high school."

Top Bottom