• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Danoss

aaawww man that looks awesome. I'm sure those will come in handy for a bunch of different games. Were the paints expensive? I've always wanted to paint my own miniature for RP stuff, but I don't think I'd be able to steady my hands enough to paint something so tiny. Good luck with it! I hope it works out well.

The cheapest place I've found for paints is Defiant Gaming. They're cheap for a lot of things, actually, and their service is excellent. I linked directly to the main paints I and many others use. You don't need to buy many to start out with as you can just mix different ones to make your own colours. Grab the primary colours, a few key others, some decent brushes and a cheap palette and you're ready to go. The only other thing needed is a primer, I use this type, which comes in different sizes and colours with the main ones being white, black and grey.

As for the steady hands thing, it's all practice and technique. I'm not even close to being there and I don't know if I ever will be. When you're on stimulants all day, every day, it makes having a steady hand rather difficult and hard to control though. At least that's my excuse, haha.

If you want cheap (and good, this combo totally exists!) minis to paint, have a look at the Reaper Bones range. Orders over $100 get free shipping and I'm quite likely to put in an order that qualifies, because I must have Cthulhu! Screw it, I'm posting a photo of it painted by some amazing person because it's just so great.

77194_p_1_mj.jpg

Here it is on a scale that all Australians understand.

cthulhu2.jpg

You're welcome to piggyback on this order if you like. Otherwise a place local to me, Tabletop Empires also sells them at a very reasonable price and how could you say no to a Cyber-gorilla? He looks rad painted (not mine) and I may have to buy another :)

I jumped on the latest Reaper Bones Kickstarter because it's just such great value. Be sure to scroll down and have a look at Khanjira, it's essentially a Tarrasque, which I'm sure you're well aware of what that is. I wasn't until one came up near the end of my D&D campaign. All the other players jaws dropped and I was like "What? What is it?" and then they told me... So awesome. I can add extras on to my Kickstarter pledge until the end of the year, so if you or any other people here want something, just let me know and it can be arranged. Stuff won't ship until this time next year though, which will surely dull the enthusiasm of many.

If you don't care that much, that's cool too. I'm just pretty excited about this whole thing and gushing to my gaming mates is like preaching to the choir; with them I'm like 25+ years late to the party.

Also... when's the next SydGAF meeting? I'm introverted and probably wouldn't talk much buuuuuut I have to advance the course of drunk Mario Party 'tralia wide (and meeting you guys would be pretty rad)!

I may be in Sydney around December. Could be a good chance to organise a meet up of some sort?

These two things are most likely to spark a SydGAF meetup. A new person and an out-of-town visitor are surefire catalysts. If not, I'll certainly be up for it. We can be introverted together – I'm an ambivert so I can go both ways! No alcohol for me though, it doesn't mix well with dex at all.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about the Melbourne Cup?

If it weren't for this post and the replies to it, I would not have even known it was on today. Now I can knowingly not give a shit about it. It's like the least interesting version of a rich person fight there could possibly be.

EDIT: I totally didn't try and snype this new page, but at least there's some cool (to me) stuff to see.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I prefer to think of those as a feature.
They do tend to make my lounge room more homely.

So are we all north Adelaide gaf? I think jambo and dead man are both north a bit from memory. I think I'm the only Barossa gaf seeing as you're a Towny now :(

Danoss

I was looking around for solvents to be used for painting with alcohol and oil-based paints. Now I know why the cheapest prices were found in Adelaide.

I want that fucking Cthuhlu. Looks like a boss.

My son loves scary shit so this will be a nice little hobby in a year or so to do something calming and intricate.

Danoss

I want that fucking Cthuhlu. Looks like a boss.

My son loves scary shit so this will be a nice little hobby in a year or so to do something calming and intricate.

Totally!

I recall when I was in primary school and living on the Central Coast, there was a shop called the Plaster Funhouse (I think) at The Entrance where they sold sculpts made out of Plaster of Paris. You'd buy one and then sit at a table and paint them. They'd supply brushes, paints, water and glaze so you could do all that at your leisure and was included in the price of the item. A couple of the ones I did should still be at mum's house. I had a bulldog one and she didn't like that I painted the genitals/anus pink which drew attention to them.

So relaxing and fun. Painting as a group activity is excellent.

In the same line of minis as Cthulhu, there's some really great looking stuff. I'll be grabbing the Pit Fiend and Colossal Skeleton from Reaper too. I linked to my local store which just got them in.

OmCz8Gx.jpg

Un7ZYeO.jpg

Painted well, they look brilliant.

EDIT: Plaster Funhouse is still around! Seems they open up places just for school holidays but there are places available for parties and such. Found a pic of the bulldog I was talking about too. Not my paint job of course, but it looks like they still sell it.

OvEvQVh.jpg

Gazunta

I told everyone that we won't be 'doing' anything for Melbourne Cup and was called unAustralian. Made me even more determined not to do anything hahah.

Instead I just said well anyone who wants to go celebrate can bugger off to the pub across the road for an hour :p

Just don't have time today to organise shit...(he says while typing on GAF)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I've spent a fair amount of time this year researching horse racing as my grandparents co-own some horses... I really should put my new found knowledge to good use and research bigger races like this.

Instead I will drink beer.

I didn't care for horses before, but working at Mooney Valley made me hate horse racing, the douchey jockeys that ride the horses, the local media and the patrons more than I could ever want to in a lifetime.

The general staff were quite lovely though.

I spent most of my time watching TV anyway. I watched cartoon network sometimes.

Danoss

Oh, this is what I came to share, then I got caught up replying to rep. Not complaining :)

Found this when catching up on my G+ feed. It's from Metatopia , which is a RPG game design festival/convention.

kyVSoDS.jpg

I think it's a great example of how inclusive the community is and the effort they'll put in to be more-so. There's something for everyone in the roleplaying arena and I love that the message is quite strong. The more I read, see and hear, the more it's visible that the message is "If you like RPGs, that's all that matters to us. Come and have a good time, we'll do our best to ensure you do".

I've always thought 'tolerance' is bullshit. Tolerating is one thing and I perceive it as a negative. Acceptance is what should be encouraged and something to strive for. No one is pleased to say others 'tolerate' them. To be accepted is what most of us want, need and deserve.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
OMG MEETUPS!

RadelaideGAF/Not So BadelaideGAF
When: November 15th 5-6pm ONWARDS
Where: Elephant?
Attending: HolyCheck, Jambo, Frawdder, Lucian Cat, Dead Man, Mr Tone, DeadMeadow88
Maybe:turtlesbonanza, H Protagonist, bananafish
Not Attending: Vormund (too busy jet setting in asia)
Why: Because Jambo has too many friends and this is the only time that works for him. Get an autograph.

MelbGAF until it drunkenly becomes mitchgaf and aniseed and holycheck eat kebabs drunkenly at 5am again
When: November 8th 5-6pm Onwards
Where: BEER FUCKING DELUX???LOL.
Attending:HolyCheck, Aniseed, cosdwallop, lafiel
Maybe: Megadrive, DeathJr
Not Attending:
Why: Because.

KEEN? QUOTE POST AND LET ME KNOW.

Another maybe for radelaide.

Xbox Live sale

Serious Sam 1, 2, 3 are $2.50 each
EDIT: Huh, 2 isn't out here? Odd.

Oh yeah, Mighty Ape has the CE of Wind Waker HD for $99 today only

I've spent a fair amount of time this year researching horse racing as my grandparents co-own some horses... I really should put my new found knowledge to good use and research bigger races like this.

Instead I will drink beer.

Smartest investment you can make!

Well I didn't place any bets this year, first time in a while. Even avoided the office sweeps.

Instead I may go buy ghosts with the money id have lost betting.

Shaneus

I've always thought 'tolerance' is bullshit. Tolerating is one thing and I perceive it as a negative. Acceptance is what should be encouraged and something to strive for. No one is pleased to say others 'tolerate' them. To be accepted is what most of us want, need and deserve.
Hear hear. "Tolerate" is what we do with people who feel they have to "tolerate" people different to them.

Cheers, them and target have it for cheap. Haven't played a "twitch" shooter in a while and $60 seems reasonable. Though think I'll wait for the reviews on ps3. Can always just focus on bf4 until then.

Target have it for $64 yeah.

They also have a deal where you get the game AND some Turtle Beach headset for $67 total lol

Also eBay group buy has popped up again, $57 posted with the pre-order DLC.
Really fucking cheap. Especially if you want to upgrade for $10 at next gen.

PS. lololol, I remember almost the exact same thread cropping up when Horizon DLC was announced. I think rep linked to it from AusGAF?

Forza Motorsport 5 Car Pass detailed [$49.99; multiple 10-car packs monthly]

WOW

I knew it would be bad before I even looked.

$50 for cars only.

First pack is at launch.

For a game that they didn't finish in time to get on the disc in the first place.

So those 10 cars could very well have been done and dusted before the vanilla game itself was.

That is madness.

How many packs of cars are there? At $50 you would expect $10 each pack right?
Fake Edit: Oh I think it's 4 packs.
So $15 per pack?

They have 40 cars that they can pump out, with such detail that you can do the "look over every inch of interior" shit, in the next four months?

This is DLC separate to the game?

40 cars with that much detail not included in the game?

Rezbit

WOW

I knew it would be bad before I even looked.

$50 for cars only.

First pack is at launch.

For a game that they didn't finish in time to get on the disc in the first place.

So those 10 cars could very well have been done and dusted before the vanilla game itself was.

That is madness.

How many packs of cars are there? At $50 you would expect $10 each pack right?
Fake Edit: Oh I think it's 4 packs.
So $15 per pack?

They have 40 cars that they can pump out, with such detail that you can do the "look over every inch of interior" shit, in the next four months?

This is DLC separate to the game?

40 cars with that much detail not included in the game?

What the fuuuuuuck. Next gen is gonna suck the biggest nuts.

Look what came today! Too many fucking games on the go now :/

No dice for ps3. I'll take that as a sign.
Try instore, seems to be working for some people.

The deal is for PS3/360 but the price is supposed to be $89. Scanning at $66!

What the fuuuuuuck. Next gen is gonna suck the biggest nuts.
Worst thing is they can't pull the "we went gold a month ago!" bullshit because they have already admitted they are working crunch all the way up to Day One just to get it finished, part of the game has to be downloaded in a day one patch!

The people comparing it to Killzone season pass need to be banned. Straight up trolling right there. Could not be more different.

Just read about it on the Animals Australia place, the horse broke her leg and was put down right then and there. Why did she have to be killed just because her leg broke? It's disgusting.

Hey come on now dude, the Imam of Nizari Ismailism knows what he's doing! The horse obviously needed to be put down.

Rezbit

A broken leg for a horse is pretty much a death sentence. Horses can't really be immobile for over 12 weeks. If the break was bad there's not really anything they can do. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Fredescu

Says Anandtech: "To get right to the point then, this is one of a handful of cards we’ve ever had to recommend against. The performance for the price is stunning, but we cannot in good faith recommend a card this loud when any other card is going to be significantly quieter. There comes a point where a video card is simply too loud for what it does, and with the 290 AMD has reached it."

"Sports" where there is a good likelihood of having to kill a living thing as a result of its participation seems a little inhumane to me but I guess we wouldn't want to deprive people of their silly little hats.

Like, you might as well just let them loose in a forest and go horse hunting instead of racing them if you're going to have to shoot them anyway.

Says Anandtech: "To get right to the point then, this is one of a handful of cards we’ve ever had to recommend against. The performance for the price is stunning, but we cannot in good faith recommend a card this loud when any other card is going to be significantly quieter. There comes a point where a video card is simply too loud for what it does, and with the 290 AMD has reached it."

I can deal with a loud card if I'm getting an amazing bang for my buck.

Holy shittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt at Last of Us! That is fucking polish right thar on dat thar screenie thing.

Ug8gh.gif

Also

3RD PARTIES TO THE RESCUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

roosters93 said:
Hahah
I'm not going to say whether you're right or wrong, but the magic 8 ball says 'all signs point to yes'.
Well, seeing as I'm at a net loss of $9.72 AUD, I suppose cute girl at KFC aka "The Jint" has to propose to me? I'll try score you a Pepsi Blue that's probably been in storage or a landfill for the past ten years though~!
Also you're too late this is my last week of uni EVER (assuming I pass my exams)
ani-gant-stare.gif

Oh, is that what they told you?

Oh, forget you jerk, my mum Shanshan can beat you up anyway! And your Fire Emblem ships suck!

[ausgaf family tree wanted -- inquire within]

The Last of Us

Intro destroyed me. I shed tears. Not fair :(

Jeez those jaggies though. Also low res textures. Come onnnnnnnnnnnnn next gen Naughty Dog!

Top Bottom