• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Have the ship dates on the PS4/Killzone bundles changed? When my wife pre-ordered it for me two weeks ago from JB she was told the 24th of December was the likely release date but now some are saying mid-december? I'd love if that was the case.

CmdBash

looking to get a graphics card, have the price drops for those nvidia cards hit australia yet? I don't know what the original aussie prices were so i can't find out myself. or are graphics cards here the usual ~$100 more than rrp?

Have the ship dates on the PS4/Killzone bundles changed? When my wife pre-ordered it for me two weeks ago from JB she was told the 24th of December was the likely release date but now some are saying mid-december? I'd love if that was the case.

Last I heard was the shipment is expected to arrive on Friday the 20th, they had been saying before Christmas just to cover themselves just in case.

MelbGAF until it drunkenly becomes mitchgaf and aniseed and holycheck eat kebabs drunkenly at 5am again
When: November 8th 5-6pm Onwards
Where: BEER FUCKING DELUX???LOL.
Attending:HolyCheck, Aniseed, cosdwallop, lafiel
Maybe: Megadrive, DeathJr
Not Attending:
Why: Because.

cancelled-390x250.jpg

PSA Reminder

PS Vita with Killzone Mercs is $188 tomorrow!

If my bonus/tax return had come through I probably would have picked one up, but I'm not near a Big W for a few weeks any way :/

legend166

Okay, not to get all talkback radio here, but I'm not sure I understand how you can walk up to someone completely unprovoked and punch them in the head, causing their death, and the result only four years in prison. Especially when you already have a history of alcohol fueled violence.

Danoss

It's a multi-faceted problem that certainly isn't helped by the abhorrent culture surrounding alcohol in this country.

I don't like the phrase 'alcohol-fueled violence' at all. While it does draw attention to one aspect of the problem, it's a cop-out. It's not like these people accidentally get drunk and it's not as if the alcohol is the real driving force behind it. If someone drinks and becomes violent as a result, maybe that is surprising to them, maybe it's not what they're like when sober, but that first instance is a warning that alcohol is not a drug for them. If they continue to use/abuse it knowing this, that is doubly on them because they did so knowing the outcome.

A friend of mine sold ecstasy and ended up in prison. No one died and no one bought it that didn't want it (except the undercover cop that bought from him, maybe). He got 8 years for that. If anyone here met him, they would see he learnt his lesson many years ago and did not deserve a sentence worse than a killer.

Quasar

Yeah if I didn't have a good gaming PC the consoles would make perfect sense.

Oh I have one thats OKish (a 8GB RAM / Intel i5 2500k / AMD 7870 machine) but its a office and server machine (as well as gaming) not a living room machine which is what I'd want as an alternative to replacing my PS3 (and soon PS4).

Which makes these kinds of decisions problematic.If proper Steam boxes were launched (or even priced/shown) now it would be an easier decision I feel.

senahorse

Oh I have one thats OKish (a 8GB RAM / Intel i5 2500k / AMD 7870 machine) but its a office and server machine (as well as gaming) not a living room machine which is what I'd want as an alternative to replacing my PS3 (and soon PS4).

Which makes these kinds of decisions problematic.If proper Steam boxes were launched (or even priced/shown) now it would be an easier decision I feel.

Mine is in my office/study as well. I have just run network cabling to both gaming areas and run HDMI and USB over ethernet. Wireless 360 pad has great range so I leave the dongle in the office.

A friend of mine sold ecstasy and ended up in prison. No one died and no one bought it that didn't want it (except the undercover cop that bought from him, maybe). He got 8 years for that. If anyone here met him, they would see he learnt his lesson many years ago and did not deserve a sentence worse than a killer.

The government doesn't collect a tax on ecstasy.

They collect a tax on alcohol.

Quasar

Okay, not to get all talkback radio here, but I'm not sure I understand how you can walk up to someone completely unprovoked and punch them in the head, causing their death, and the result only four years in prison. Especially when you already have a history of alcohol fueled violence.

Well I don't know the details of the case that the judge had to weigh up, but I imagine one aspect would be whether the death was accidental or not. Of course he was charged with murder and not manslaughter or some such.

That's not to say that I feel a person with a drunken violent history should on the face of it, only serve 4 years for another drunken violent escapade that caused another persons death.

Then why the fuck have I been declaring earnings on my drug dealing income and paying tax?

Oh shit, that probably explains the constant audits I have...

Jintor

Actually you can totally claim drug deal expenses back on tax since it's expenses used to generate income-earning activity

of course, to do that you'd need to declare your illegal income in the first place, so...

Fusebox

Banned
I

Hot damn that must have been a lot of ecstasy he sold. Unless your mate is the guy who sold to Anna Wood, iirr he got made an example of.

Jake.

does anyone know if the vita on sale tomorrow at big w for $188 w/ killzone is the 'old' oled model or the new one? or should i just order the new one from playasia for $225ish?

Fusebox

Banned
does anyone know if the vita on sale tomorrow at big w for $188 w/ killzone is the 'old' oled model or the new one? or should i just order the new one from playasia for $225ish?

$188 you can't go wrong either way imo. You either get the better screen of the older one or the sleekness of the new one.

Jake.

i was actually wrong, on playasia the new one is around $240. as of yesterday i am officially unemployed so maybe i shouldn't be doing big purchases like this, but i haven't bought a video game system since the ps2 in 2002 so (i did own a gba but sold it shortly after getting it)....

i was actually wrong, on playasia the new one is around $240. as of yesterday i am officially unemployed so maybe i shouldn't be doing big purchases like this, but i haven't bought a video game system since the ps2 in 2002 so (i did own a gba but sold it shortly after getting it)....

That's an impressive stretch. Maybe you shouldn't buy it. Not because you're unemployed, but because you wouldn't be able to say that about video game consoles anymore.

Jake.

well, yeah. i actually haven't properly played a video game since gta: sa on pc (what was that, 2005?) but i've slowly been getting the itch again and i figure a vita would be cool if its on sale from the little research i've done. i considered a 3ds but i have zero interest in nintendo games and i can't justify paying $600 for a ps4 (even though i consider that a reasonable price) + whatever for a new tv. which handheld system has the more 'quirky' japanese titles? the vita is region free which is a huge plus to me, but the memory card prices seem crazy stupid.

It's the old OLED one. The new LED screen one isn't out anywhere but Japan I'm pretty sure.

I really really really want to grab an OLED one before they all disappear, after seeing the OLED in action I don't think I could deal with the LED screen!

Shaneus

What headphones?! I like headphones.
Ah man, I should've PMed you :(
Anyone in the market for a good pair of portable headphones should order these: http://www.oo.com.au/Sennheiser-High-Fidelity-Metal_P205027.cfm

$70 delivered, and they usually go for $200+
Sennheiser MX980 buds, retail for little over two-hundo, shipped from within AU for $70. Super-nice too, good impressions on Head-Fi.

Was this the woman who was king-hit at the races earlier this week? Or another thing?
That it resulted in a death, fuck's sake. You just don't know what could happen in any kind of fight, let alone someone being king-hit.

Hot damn that must have been a lot of ecstasy he sold. Unless your mate is the guy who sold to Anna Wood, iirr he got made an example of.
Yeah, that must've been a fuckload. Or maybe it's different if you're selling vs. if you're caught with them on your person ie. selling 5 pills might be WAY different to getting caught with 5. (Or selling them to an undercover cop vs. a cop seeing you sell them to a mate)

Fusebox

Banned
Ah I would have grabbed a pair too, serves me right for not popping into this thread often enough. Lesson learned and learnt.

Was this the woman who was king-hit at the races earlier this week? Or another thing?
That it resulted in a death, fuck's sake. You just don't know what could happen in any kind of fight, let alone someone being king-hit.

Nah.
Here's an article on it. Just ignore the sensationalist alliteration and excessive promotion of the victim's family's views. (is that the correct display of possession? lol)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I literally went to Beer Deluxe at 5:37 PM for nothing. Thanks a lot guys. At least I caught up with friends and saw a awesome fucking film in melbourne today.

Oh and I've successfully passed my first year of uni :D with at least 5 High Distinctions 1 P 1 credit.. although I do have one unit left to do over summer so maybe I haven't technically passed my first year yet.. although the trimester ends in feb :p

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
such a tease
What'd you see Laf?
Stories We Tell.

It's basically a documentary that explores the nature of memory and "truth" and how it's represented within a narrative framework.. honestly rare to see a film that pushes all my buttons in terms of personal taste, everything from the human elements of the story presented to it's representation of the idea that everyone has a "story" to tell strongly resonated with me.:p

Really glad I got around to seeing it since I'm pretty sure it's going be phrased out of the cinema soon.

Shaneus

Ah I would have grabbed a pair too, serves me right for not popping into this thread often enough. Lesson learned and learnt.
You didn't need another pair of headphones anyway.

Edit: Seems like it's been a sucky day for a number of people. Here, chuckle for a bit <3

Danoss

It was actually. I don't remember the exact number, but it was quite a lot.

He was caught during the mardi gras and so they made an example out of him too. His name was published in the paper as having committed the crime and everything the next day. As far as I know, doing that is also illegal.

nah i didnt see laf anywhere, the event was cancelled so i wasnt in the city

WHAT HAPPENED

Stories We Tell.

It's basically a documentary that explores the nature of memory and "truth" and how it's represented within a narrative framework.. honestly rare to see a film that pushes all my buttons in terms of personal taste, everything from the human elements of the story presented to it's representation of the idea that everyone has a "story" to tell strongly resonated with me.:p

Really glad I got around to seeing it since I'm pretty sure it's going be phrased out of the cinema soon.

Ooh looks good. Very personal subject matter it seems.
Now I want to see this and At Berkeley in terms of new docos.

It was today? I thought it was 18th. :/
It was meant to be tonight...

I literally went to Beer Deluxe at 5:37 PM for nothing. Thanks a lot guys.
I have no idea! I saw the post at about 17:20ish saying it was canceled, that's when I was about to head down to Beer DeLuxe. I guess Holy and Ani bailed? I was in the city but didn't see anything indicating anyone else was around (on GAF or Twitter) so had a lovely night out with the wife instead.

What happened, guys?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think I just had one of those nights where everything seemed to be spiraling out of control and I felt like I had to make a decision right then and there. I guesssss Canberra wouldn't be too bad.

I'll try not to complain in the thread anymore ><
Do what makes you happy shan. even if it doesnt utilise your degree.

You should have decided what you wanted to do before doing a degree!:p

Hmmm, I can't think of anything specific jobs for your degree, but I guess that kinda means you can do anything! I mean, you've clearly got a thing for Asian languages, so I would think that you'd naturally gravitate towards something related to that. Just do a lot of networking during your exchange. And you'll probably do Jet or some other equivalent so that's work experience plus another chance to network and see what other opportunities may come up.

Don't worry too much, you're still young. Explore for a while. If you're seriously unhappy, go the masters route.
Well, I knew I wanted to do something related to my degree going in. I'm just still not sure exactly what :p I guess it probably depends on the opportunities that pop up too.

If you don't know where to start, do Canberra if you can. If you get into DFAT, there's the chance of travel and living in other countries.

after a few years with that experience under your belt, if you don't like it, try something else.

Diplomat gets my vote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwC_IaY3BmY

On a more serious note just focus on what you like best. Hell my uni degree has been basically useless so far, just got to find the right job. You don't have to use it straight off the bat.
hahaha, I should get around to watching those films. Diplomacy does sound exciting to say the least.
And remember that your job doesn't have to be the "thing" that makes you happy, or defines you. As long as you don't dislike your job (you're spending a lot of time there!), it doesn't have to be your everything.

Work, earn money, start at the bottom end, use that money to figure out what makes you happy in life. Explore options you never thought of, things that aren't even on your degree and be open to anything job wise.

You're degree shouldn't hold you back but it does give you specific options. If none of those specifics are what you actually want then that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that.

A lot of people will just work a job and may never find what makes them happy. They might find it at 30, 40, 50 or the day before they die.

There's never a rush to lock yourself into something that's going to dominate your life, so be free for a little bit, maybe look for another job that isn't KFC over the summer and see how that goes.

Oh, I did quit KFC :p while I don't miss the chicken and the valley people I do sorely miss make $20 an hour.

No worries at all. I won't be ordering for a few weeks at least anyway, so there isn't a huge rush. It's not like I have a shortage of models to paint.

I thought it might work out well if it turns out you are down here in December, I could hand them to you in person. If you end up seeing anything you like at Tabletop Empires (links to my suggested range there), they don't have a storefront, but the owner has said that I'm welcome to go to his warehouse to pick things up and save on postage or even just to look around. Let me know if you want me to grab anything, it's very convenient since he's in the same suburb as me and there are a couple of things I want to pick up there but am in no hurry for them at all.

If you like painting, practice and then start up a commission painting service and do that for a job instead of using your degree. That's a dumb joke, I just wanted to add something even though it's completely unhelpful. Others have already said some useful stuff. I do understand that it is not uncommon for many people with degrees to never actually use them. The fact that they have a degree can still be helpful in other areas, even if the degree doesn't apply, it demonstrates a commitment to something. If the degree has nothing to do with the job, it can also show a willingness to diversify, expand, go outside your comfort zone.

Don't stress too much about it, you're young and you have plenty of time up your sleeve. The job you might find most enjoyable and/or worth pursuing may not have even crossed your mind yet and is waiting for you to stumble upon it. I just went wherever the wind took me and ended up taking a backwards career step from insurance into retail and ended up loving it.

I'm about to hit 32 and I still don't know what I want to do (outside of options I would take and have to rule out because it's not possible). As long as you don't end up in that situation, you'll be fine; knowing you had the dedication to complete a degree, I know you won't (I wrote that awkwardly, but you know what I mean).

Thanks man. I guess career progression isn't really as important as enjoying yourself and having good experiences anyway.

That warehouse thing is pretty lucky! There were a couple that looked pretty good from that bones collection. I'll send you a PM ^^

Deeku

there was some ok advice in your thread. but yeah, don't pigeon hole yourself and be open for anythin is the way to go. and cmon, you're going on exchange next year to japan, that's pretty freakin awesome!

7lQhOeE.jpg

US confirmed, for those of you with US accounts that are importing (I'm looking at you Death!). Nice that you get $10 free.

EDIT: Oh actually you can use that $10 credit to download the PS4 update of BF4/AC4 etc! Good for gamers who couldn't wait for next gen and want to see what the next gen version is like (also they can then sell their PS3 copy, Death again :) ).

Oh, I did quit KFC :p while I don't miss the chicken and the valley people I do sorely miss make $20 an hour.
What the hell? $20 an hour! I want that job!!!

Even when I managed a pizza store I was only on $18 an hour :(

...and Vitas are already sold out at Big W.

Heres hoping JB Hifi cave in also and put up a <$200 deal.

Yeah there's been a ton of $200 deals in the past, I want one around the $150 mark! At least with the Big W deal you could sell Killzone and bring it down to $150 easily.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I make $21 a hour from my outside school hours care job! but it's really annoying when I'm not at uni.. since I only have two-hour shifts.>: it's like the perfect job to do straight after hours of classes and study from 8 am to 2 pm tho.

Top Bottom