• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Quasar

Well the video ssrvices list for xb1 is out. Even sparser than I imagined. Not even Foxtel, which I figured would be the big headlining platform selling app. Not that I care about foxtel. iView is pretty much the only local streaming sevice I use on any platform.

I guess it missing and sbs and ten having apps is all due to them already having Windows 8 Store apps and iView not.

I guess it missing and sbs and ten having apps is all due to them already having Windows 8 Store apps and iView not.

Yup, I got the impression that dev kits were sparse down here so expect these apps to turn up in 6 months or so.

At least you can change your region to the US and get a ton of content!
I expect that's what most people will be doing who have gone from PS3 -> PS4.

Netflix is there on PS4 (and in the US for X1) so that is most of the app usage covered there.

Jintor

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have an article in the latest hyper about how Microsoft could potentially have fucked with the nature of game ownership. Give it a look! I don't care if you even just furitively page through the mag at some newsagent, although my editor would probably prefer you buy it.

Quasar

Yup, I got the impression that dev kits were sparse down here so expect these apps to turn up in 6 months or so.

At least you can change your region to the US and get a ton of content!
I expect that's what most people will be doing who have gone from PS3 -> PS4.

Netflix is there on PS4 (and in the US for X1) so that is most of the app usage covered there.

Well yeah I use netflix on my ps3. Bit of an issue with xbox though with it locked behind a paywall.

Though really...its crunchyroll that I use most. That and youtube. I wonder if the windows8 core will be a barrier to getting a xbone youtube app.

Jintor

1394118_677278882305029_198112548_n.jpg

Someone parked a TARDIS at the Galleres Victoria

Orioto did an awesome Mega Drive 25th anniversay poster
tumblr_mvyv68jqMU1qdq8qno8_1280.jpg

Also 0mi linked to a good interview with Mark Rubin from Infinity Ward. Great read, especially when he gets to this part and doesn't "no comment" the situation. At least he's honest.
GC: So, just finally, I have to ask: why does the PlayStation 4 version look so much better than the Xbox One? Is the resolution really the only difference?

MR: [laughs] Yep, it’s the only difference. The TVs are different on some of them, but… they both have their different rendering engines but they’re as close as possible. It really comes down to resolution. Xbox is upscaled 720, it’s outputting at 1080p but it’s upscaled from 720. Whereas PlayStation 4 is native 1080p. So that’s really the only graphical difference. But it is enough. Some people here are saying they don’t really notice a difference…

GC: So the obvious assumption from all this is that the PlayStation 4 is definitely more powerful than the Xbox One, is that true?

MR: [acting very embarrassed] I can’t answer that.

GC: You can’t answer it on a technical level or because you’re being diplomatic?

MR: Can’t answer that.

GC: You can’t say whether you’re avoiding the question for diplomatic reasons?

MR: [embarrassed] I just can’t say anything…

[Even the attending PR guy is looking embarrassed by this point]

PR guy: It’s very hard for us to be…

GC: Are the console manufacturers leaning on you to avoid these sort of questions?

MR: [unsure - speaking to PR guy] I don’t know if that…

MR: [even more embarrassed to us] Yeah, there’s things that we… We sign NDAs with the first parties [i.e. Microsoft and Sony - GC] and there are things that we’re not allowed to talk about.

GC: So when John Carmack and Shinji Mikami say the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are almost identical, is that something you could agree with?

MR: Hmm… I would say that’s a bit inaccurate but I wouldn’t be able to tell you any detail of why that’s inaccurate.

GC: For diplomatic reasons?

MR: Yes.

GC: But will that same proportional gap always be there?

MR: Don’t know. Until we get there I honestly don’t know. To be not diplomatic or anything [laughs] we really don’t know. We’ve done as much as we can in the time we have to get where we’re at. Will they close the gap? Will they go off in the opposite direction? Who knows? But for this game it is what it is.

GC: Do you think everyone else will have these same problems? All these other cross-generational games that are out at launch?

MR: Well, I think they’ve already said they are haven’t they? Battlefield 4 is 720 on Xbox One and I think 900 on PS4? Titanfall has said they’re 720… So we’re not the first to say we’re 720 on the Xbox One.

GC: No, no. So they’re all obviously hitting the same wall.

MR: Yeah, so you’re reading that correctly in that it’s not specifically us doing something villainous. It’s a thing where all of us have to work at getting better at developing for both consoles. And that’s the fun part. I always use the analogy that the first game on a new console is always like an awkward first date, but once you know a lot more about each other it’s a lot better.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have an article in the latest hyper about how Microsoft could potentially have fucked with the nature of game ownership. Give it a look! I don't care if you even just furitively page through the mag at some newsagent, although my editor would probably prefer you buy it.
Cool, if I feel like getting dressed later on I might grab a copy!

Well yeah I use netflix on my ps3. Bit of an issue with xbox though with it locked behind a paywall.

Though really...its crunchyroll that I use most. That and youtube. I wonder if the windows8 core will be a barrier to getting a xbone youtube app.

Not sure how it works with X1, pretty sure they scrapped family accounts so you only need one Gold account per console (like Sony only requires one PS+ account per console) so mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe you could use other regions apps. Probably not though :(

And yeah, Crunchyroll is on PS4 I'm pretty sure.

No idea why Google haven't got a Youtube app ready to go on either platform.

7lQhOeE.jpg

US confirmed, for those of you with US accounts that are importing (I'm looking at you Death!). Nice that you get $10 free.

EDIT: Oh actually you can use that $10 credit to download the PS4 update of BF4/AC4 etc! Good for gamers who couldn't wait for next gen and want to see what the next gen version is like (also they can then sell their PS3 copy, Death again :) ).

Nice. Though I've got ps plus sorted out till 2015. Picked up annual subs for 30 bucks.

I have'nt bought any of those games for current gen, and don't plan on doing so.

10 bucks free credit is awesome though.

Btw Kritz, Amazon shipped Killzone. I should get it in 4 days. Time for you to start looking out for a ps4.

Quasar

Not sure how it works with X1, pretty sure they scrapped family accounts so you only need one Gold account per console (like Sony only requires one PS+ account per console) so mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe you could use other regions apps. Probably not though :(

Oh. OK. Not beang to able to use other regions apps really annoyed me (and it annoys me on Windows 8).

And yeah, Crunchyroll is on PS4 I'm pretty sure.

Yeah. Announced for launch day in the US.

No idea why Google haven't got a Youtube app ready to go on either platform.

Googles non interest in Windows 8 and Windows Phone I think has something to do with the XBone no-show.

Dunno about Sony. Maybe its simply not ready.

Or maybe they are leaving that for browsers to handle.

Oh sorry it was not a public offer, a friend in the US found it at a local store for me.

There's going to be another $30 annual PS subs offer on Black friday, if you have friends in the US, ask them to buy for you.

Kritz

Banned
Btw Kritz, Amazon shipped Killzone. I should get it in 4 days. Time for you to start looking out for a ps4.

Cool, I can throw some paper your way whenever y'all want it. How much is shipping a dvd interstate cost nowadays?

Also, still betting I can walk into a Big W or Target on the outskirts of Hobart and pick one up day 1. Unless they don't get stock at all.

Got dang. Dude who got sent his Xbox One by Target in the US says Zoo Tycoon is a forced 38GB install.....

Also his friend turned his Xbox One off by shouting XBOX OFF over Skype lol

Twitter here

X1 games have to be installed, can start playing once they reach 50% installation. COD Ghosts install took about 25 minutes to reach 50%....

Shaneus

Ah ha, on that R290X performance discrepancy:
Update on AMD Responds to R9 290 Series Performance Variance

On November 5th we reported AMD's official statement on R9 290 Series Performance Variance issues. AMD has now updated us with another statement on the specifics of the issue, and that the fix is in place thanks to a new driver.

Hello, We've identified that there's variability in fan speeds across AMD R9 290 series boards. This variability in fan speed translates into variability of the cooling capacity of the fan-sink. The flexibility of AMD PowerTune technology enables us to correct this variability in a driver update. This update will normalize the fan RPMs to the correct values.

The correct target RPM values are 2200RPM for the AMD Radeon R9 290X "Quiet mode", and 2650RPM for the R9 290. You can verify these in GPU-Z. If you're working on stories relating to R9 290 series products, please use this driver as it will reduce any variability in fan speeds. This driver will be posted publicly tonight.

*Update - The driver is now available - Catalyst 13.11 Beta 9.2
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2013/11/07/update_on_amd_responds_to_r9_290_series_performance_variance/

After been a lifelong Xbox user am seriously considering picking up a PS4 at some stage as there xbox one doesn't seem that compelling. Coming as primarily a PC gamer at the moment, only really using consoles for exclusives the PS4 just seems to be better at the moment.
Main game I really want to play on consoles will likely by Destiny and some other console exclusives that come out next gen. Will probably play the waiting game and see how they go post launch to see if there are any glaring issues with either of them, and see which ones friends pick up as well.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
After been a lifelong Xbox user am seriously considering picking up a PS4 at some stage as there xbox one doesn't seem that compelling. Coming as primarily a PC gamer at the moment, only really using consoles for exclusives the PS4 just seems to be better at the moment.
Main game I really want to play on consoles will likely by Destiny and some other console exclusives that come out next gen. Will probably play the waiting game and see how they go post launch to see if there are any glaring issues with either of them, and see which ones friends pick up as well.

PC + WiiU + 3DS.

join the right family.

PC + WiiU + 3DS.

join the right family.

Just picked up a 3DS a few weeks ago actually, for down time when I'm in the country without access to my PC. Almost there apart from the WiiU but at the moment will pass just as not at home enough to play it along with everything else (actually just Dota)

Steam name is droppedbear - but can you PM first just so I know who is sending me invites
Not playing much at the moment as in middle of exam period but will be on more in next few weeks (and hopefully during diretide)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Just picked up a 3DS a few weeks ago actually, for down time when I'm in the country without access to my PC. Almost there apart from the WiiU but at the moment will pass just as not at home enough to play it along with everything else (actually just Dota)

Lol dota, you'll be right at home in the Ausgaf steam group! Where it's always dota. Unless it's the game of the month! (pokemon, worms etc)

Shaneus

Holy fuck, (re?)watching Toy Story 3 on TV now and it's all coming back to me. How can they make a kids movie so fucking dark?!? Rep, AFAIK you've shielded the boy from this as much as possible, I just need confirmation.

It's evil. Portray a human or two as bad = fine. But a whole slew of toys? Yeah, good work making a "kids" movie... you've just remade Chuckie.

Hah, that got them a custom tag. Good stuff.

The Wolverine was much better than it ever should have been. A very enjoyable movie to watch on a technical level, really well made (even if some of the CGI isn't up to scratch). Really good use of DOF, score and camera shots.
Still forgettable at the end of the day, but easy to recommend for a single viewing.

Also Planes is a mishmash of attempts. I'll get into that another day. I like it but at the same time, not really.

Fuck the haters, Cars is one of the best movies Pixar made.

Holy fuck, (re?)watching Toy Story 3 on TV now and it's all coming back to me. How can they make a kids movie so fucking dark?!? Rep, AFAIK you've shielded the boy from this as much as possible, I just need confirmation.

It's evil. Portray a human or two as bad = fine. But a whole slew of toys? Yeah, good work making a "kids" movie... you've just remade Chuckie.

Ha yeah. He loves Toy Story 1 but wasn't that into TS2 so I never bothered with TS3. I like both those movies, but nowhere near as much as the first one.

And yeah, Mr Potato Head from the first movie is enough evil for him to get riled up lol

Shaneus

The Wolverine was much better than it ever should have been. A very enjoyable movie to watch on a technical level, really well made (even if some of the CGI isn't up to scratch). Really good use of DOF, score and camera shots.
Still forgettable at the end of the day, but easy to recommend for a single viewing.

Also Planes is a mishmash of attempts. I'll get into that another day. I like it but at the same time, not really.

People keep making Pixar out to be the shit as far as animated movies go, but fact is all of their sequels bar one (TS2, natch) have been thoroughly shit.

Have you seen Despicable Me 2? Wondering whether I can be fucked with that. Same goes for Cloudy w/ Meatballs 2.

People keep making Pixar out to be the shit as far as animated movies go, but fact is all of their sequels bar one (TS2, natch) have been thoroughly shit.

Have you seen Despicable Me 2? Wondering whether I can be fucked with that. Same goes for Cloudy w/ Meatballs 2.

They've only done 3 sequels I thought lol

Also DM2 is pretty good, not great. They lose some of the cool shit in exchange for some good plotlines. Gru is too straight forward and normal though. He isn't maladjusted any more, which makes the movie a lot less funny.

Makes sense though that the minions take centre stage though.

THE ALL MIGHTY MERCH DOLLA

Also the credits sequence pimps the spin off movie, called Minions, which was pushed from 2014 to 2015. Of course.

Still good though! Looks FUCKING AMAZING! But the script really needed tightening up throughout. The villain is poorly, poorly utilised. Actually, he really isn't used at all :/

My son would agree with you about Cars. While it isn't as bad as people make it out to be (I've seen that movie so many damn times) it is purely made for kids and the $$$$$$. It's not their worst movie but it's definitely no where near their best, imo.

Shaneus

They've only done 3 sequels I thought lol

Also DM2 is pretty good, not great. They lose some of the cool shit in exchange for some good plotlines. Gru is too straight forward and normal though. He isn't maladjusted any more, which makes the movie a lot less funny.

Makes sense though that the minions take centre stage though.

THE ALL MIGHTY MERCH DOLLA

Also the credits sequence pimps the spin off movie, called Minions, which was pushed from 2014 to 2015. Of course.

Still good though! Looks FUCKING AMAZING! But the script really needed tightening up throughout. The villain is poorly, poorly utilised. Actually, he really isn't used at all :/
Might give it a miss then. Or at least, wait until I can be more bothered.

Now, thanks to that Banderas meme, I'm going to watch Assassins.

It isn't clear if you think they are, but Despicable Me and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs are not Pixar.

Also, neither is Planes but there was some confusion because the ads leaned on Cars.

The Wolverine was much better than it ever should have been.
I was enjoying the shit out of it until near the end where he goes into the secret lair or whatever the fuck it is. Until then it was pretty low key and restrained. After that? A generic comic book film where I didn't give a crap.

It is! Such a love letter to the whole nostalgic Americana 50s thing.

Shaneus

It isn't clear if you think they are, but Despicable Me and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs are not Pixar.

Also, neither is Planes but there was some confusion because the ads leaned on Cars.
What? Nah, I was just talking about animated sequels in general.

TBH I'm a mite bit offended you assumed I thought Pixar did DM and Cloudy.

Kritz

Banned
SNOB

What do you drink at home?

nothing too crazy. I get coffee beans sent monthly to me from a Launceston coffee group (Ritual Coffee - Tassie peeps should check them out). Then I'll do them up in an Aeropress most days or occasionally through my shitty espresso machine if I want some milk with it (or if I'm making coffee for others - aeropress is too much work for multiple cups).

I'm thinking of buying a french press soon just so I can make a few cups to last me a morning instead of just the one cup the Aeropress makes. Might make my sister get me one for xmas.

I'm not at the level of coffee wankery where I'll roast my own beans, though. That's way too much work for me.

I've heard of people roasting beans with those air popcorn poppers. Actually seems like it could save a fair bit of money if you drink a lot of coffee, too.

Top Bottom