• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Shaneus

Lite n Easy week 4 completed.

Day 1: 94.9KG
Day 29(today): 90.5KG

This thing is actually working woot :D

Also, although we have been mostly strict with it, we have been having 1 cheat day a week (e.g. last Saturday had Grill'd and some fatty snacks and Tonight we are making homemade pizza) and I have been having a bunch of scotches/bourbons each weekend. Very happy so far :D

3beefcake.gif
Good shit! I'm just on day 1 of the second week and I shit you not, lost about 3kg (majority of which I'd assume is water weight).

Been sticking pretty closely to the whole thing as well, bringing the LnE lunch into work most days (forgot once or twice) and snacking the hell out of lunch-size popcorn things but I guess that's better than just picking up any old shit from the supermarket.

Quality of meals is surprising, too. Everything I've had I've been super impressed with. Having something different every night that's (mostly) almost home-cooked quality is a great change.

It's exxy and whatever, but I can see how after a month or two (or more) of this, it'd be enough to get you into a habit of eating less and eating well continually.

senahorse

Excellent Shaneus, really good work. The first week for me was pretty crazy as well, seems it takes a few weeks to balance out and even then it's up and down. Just keep going how you are, if you plateau maybe cut out the snacks :). *Weight loss brothers fist bump* :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Huge announcement!

On Monday the 18th November it will be Ausgaf Steam Communities 5 year anniversary!

uyHkSFC.gif

It's been 5 years since I made that community and what a ride it's been. Talk about all the games we have played as a community over those years. TF2.. Need for speed ... Dota 2 .. YEA, Outstanding work!

QBIAUMj.gif

So join us in steam chat on Monday to celebrate the special occasion by not actually playing any games.

81kIEzR.gif

WOO!

Just lite n easying, have to get back into regular exercise shortly. The end game is april when we get our dirt bikes, I need to fit into all the gear and also be fit, that's my motivation atm :D
Nice :D I know some people on steam chat recommended that T25 thing and although they all gave up >.> I have found it pretty good so far. And it's free!

Huge announcement!

On Monday the 18th November it will be Ausgaf Steam Communities 5 year anniversary!

uyHkSFC.gif

It's been 5 years since I made that community and what a ride it's been. Talk about all the games we have played as a community over those years. TF2.. Need for speed ... Dota 2 .. YEA, Outstanding work!

QBIAUMj.gif

So join us in steam chat on Monday to celebrate the special occasion by not actually playing any games.

81kIEzR.gif

WOO!

Hooray! Will there be diretides?

Can we just play diretide anyway???

XlBmvsQ.png

MWave sale. Free Postage.

360 sale

Dishonored for $9
Dead Space 3 for $19
Crysis 3 for $19
Tiger Wood 2014 for $19
Persona 4 Arena for $19
The Bureau XCOM Declassified for $19
GRID 2 for $19
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance for $19
Tomb Raider for $19
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razorz Edgez for $19
Gears of War Judgment for $29

PS3 sale
Dead Space 3 for $19
Crysis 3 for $19
Tiger Wood 2014 for $19
Persona 4 Arena for $19
Ni No Kuni for $25
Bioshock Infinite for $29
Beyond 2 Souls for $49

WiiU games
LEGO Undercover for $39
New Super Luigi Bros U for $39
Pikmin 3 for $42

3DS games
SMT Soul Hackers for $19
Donkey Kong Country Returns Again for $39
Etrian Odyssey 4 for $39

senahorse

Nice, what are you getting?

A couple of dual sports. For me I will be getting a Yamaha WR250R and my girlfriend, most probably a Yamaha XT250 (she is fairly short and it seems to have one of the lowest seat heights).

WR250R:

Yamaha-3.jpg

XT250:

D4usr8i7e_ebc83e5d5df0f5cc8c811c7f7c708181_medium.jpg

Nice :D I know some people on steam chat recommended that T25 thing and although they all gave up >.> I have found it pretty good so far. And it's free!

T25 sounds alright, I need to get back into Power90, was doing good for a while until I got lazy, now I have new motivation.

Bernbaum

Well done Shaneus and x3n05 with your weightloss milestones. Once you figure out how to discipline yourself, it's actually pretty easy.

Anyone with nexus 5/4 should open google now and say "Ok google, who are you", "Ok google, When am I".

Language must be english US for ok google to work, and talkback enabled.

You will not be disappointed.

More fun with google now:

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Man the parklands around nth adelaide look so dry and brown :( I swear it was never this non green before. Looks a bit sad.

Curses drought, curses.

senahorse

Well done Shaneus and x3n05 with your weightloss milestones. Once you figure out how to discipline yourself, it's actually pretty easy.

Thanks, my biggest issue has been not so much what I ate, sure I ate crappy junk food at times but more the exception, it was more my portion size. The first couple of weeks of lite n easy was pretty hard as I used to eat until I was full, and the drop in portion size meant I was hungry all the time even just after eating. Now I am learning to eat until I am satisfied (which happens to be the meal size of lite n easy). I guess the old rule is true about being able to have bad things (e.g. junk food, chocolate etc) but just do so in moderation :)

Anyone with nexus 5/4 should open google now and say "Ok google, who are you".
Works with any device with the latest Google Search installed. Works on Galaxy S3 Mini on Android 4.1.2.

Also, that's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, my biggest issue has been not so much what I ate, sure I ate crappy junk food at times but more the exception, it was more my portion size.
For most of our meals (particularly when we cook a lot, say chili, where it will be a ton of meals), we portion by weight. It's easy to go overboard when there's something delicious staring you in the face.

A couple of dual sports. For me I will be getting a Yamaha WR250R and my girlfriend, most probably a Yamaha XT250 (she is fairly short and it seems to have one of the lowest seat heights).

WR250R:

Yamaha-3.jpg

XT250:

D4usr8i7e_ebc83e5d5df0f5cc8c811c7f7c708181_medium.jpg

T25 sounds alright, I need to get back into Power90, was doing good for a while until I got lazy, now I have new motivation.

Good choice on the wr, you'll have a blast with it.

Crazy storm hit the sunshine coast. I've never seen hail this large! Thank christ it didn't hit Brisbane because my car isn't under cover.

615238-hail-mooloolah-valley.jpg

Wow. We only ended up getting grape size stuff thankfully.

senahorse

For most of our meals (particularly when we cook a lot, say chili, where it will be a ton of meals), we portion by weight. It's easy to go overboard when there's something delicious staring you in the face.

That's the next step, we will probably stick with lite n easy for another month or so (except xmas) and in the meantime plan our meals and use the scales to work out portions :)

Good choice on the wr, you'll have a blast with it.

It seems to be the best dual sport (in 250 size), a little more expensive than most but you get what you pay for. I already have a bunch of mods that I want to do, but a few of those will have to wait until after the factory warranty runs out. After a few years with this one I will probably get a bigger bike, maybe a KTM, but for now, baby steps. I used to ride dirt bikes a bit when I was kid, but that was 20 years ago, so we are starting out by getting a few lessons and getting our licences, can't wait for the new hobby/adventure to begin :)

Deeku

Crazy storm hit the sunshine coast. I've never seen hail this large! Thank christ it didn't hit Brisbane because my car isn't under cover.

615238-hail-mooloolah-valley.jpg
reminds me of that crazy sydney hail storm from like 10+ years ago. our roof got majorly messed up but i was pretty happy after collecting a bunch of those cricket ball sized hail and keepin em in the freezer! they didn't last long though:(

My parents have gone away and my 15yo brother has invited some friends over :| This is going to be the worst night.

reminds me of that crazy sydney hail storm from like 10+ years ago. our roof got majorly messed up but i was pretty happy after collecting a bunch of those cricket ball sized hail and keepin em in the freezer! they didn't last long though:(

I remember that one, think I kept a couple of hail balls too. RIP sea monkeys inconveniently placed between a window and the kitchen sink.

HolyCheck

My parents have gone away and my 15yo brother has invited some friends over :| This is going to be the worst night.

I remember that one, think I kept a couple of hail balls too. RIP sea monkeys inconveniently placed between a window and the kitchen sink.

Make the most of it, prove to them how much cooler you are than him. Demoralise him. Spout Cod/ DOTA knowledge (what ever they're into) like it's no bodies business.

Make the most of it, prove to them how much cooler you are than him. Demoralise him. Spout Cod/ DOTA knowledge (what ever they're into) like it's no bodies business.

hah, I wish. Somehow being 21 doesn't make me as cool as I thought it would :p Plus I'm like 90% sure one of these kids was expelled for drug dealing. Wanna go hide my valuables, but they're all in the lounge room >.>

HolyCheck

hah, I wish. Somehow being 21 doesn't make me as cool as I thought it would :p Plus I'm like 90% sure one of these kids was expelled for drug dealing. Wanna go hide my valuables, but they're all in the lounge room >.>

Get his details, always handy to have a friend of the family contact!

Shaneus

Cheers! It wasn't specifically a milestone that I'd hit (and it's not what I want out of LnE) but more that it's retraining how I think about food and portions etc.

In terms of that, I think it's working wonders. I really only see myself doing it for maybe two or three months and maybe then one week every month or two if life gets a bit much. Otherwise, I hope to be on the track of cooking, portioning and eating a shitload better with the routine LnE gets me in :)

HolyCheck

I don't know why I bother coming to adelaide.

All it does is make me sad and make me miss it then I spend 2 months wanting to move back.

CryptiK

So many faulty Consoles from Amazon I hope mines not :(.

I was planing to chuck it straight up on Gumtree since of recent reviews and the delay of DriveClub but I don't want it to go faulty on the person so I might just Firmware update it and check it it runs ok before I throw it up.

Idk shan youre pretty cool
Distract them with some sweet bird noises then sneak in and grab your valuables.

LOZLINK

So many faulty Consoles from Amazon I hope mines not :(.

I was planing to chuck it straight up on Gumtree since of recent reviews and the delay of DriveClub but I don't want it to go faulty on the person so I might just Firmware update it and check it it runs ok before I throw it up.

How much are you looking for it?

legend166

XlBmvsQ.png

MWave sale. Free Postage.

360 sale

Dishonored for $9
Dead Space 3 for $19
Crysis 3 for $19
Tiger Wood 2014 for $19
Persona 4 Arena for $19
GRID 2 for $19
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance for $19
Tomb Raider for $19
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razorz Edgez for $19
Gears of War Judgment for $29

PS3 sale
Dead Space 3 for $19
Crysis 3 for $19
Tiger Wood 2014 for $19
Persona 4 Arena for $19
Ni No Kuni for $25
Bioshock Infinite for $29
Beyond 2 Souls for $49

WiiU games
LEGO Undercover for $39
New Super Luigi Bros U for $39
Pikmin 3 for $42

3DS games
SMT Soul Hackers for $19
Donkey Kong Country Returns Again for $39
Etrian Odyssey 4 for $39

Pikmin 3 for $42?

Okay.

Thanks rep!

HolyCheck

killzone is the greatest first person midget rampage sim out there

Picked up LEGO Undercover & Soul Hackers. thx for the heads up

Enjoy Lego undercover. Other than the annoying load times its a great game and we'll worth a time investment

legend166

So I'm finally putting the time into playing Dark Souls (on PC).

It's a pretty great game. Although I think people are too willing to overlook some hilarious poor design. Half the challenge of the game comes through obfuscation. I appreciate not having my hand held, but a game simply not describing vital game mechanics is just dumb. Yeah, yeah, you can just read about it on the net, but I still think it's poor design. The best difficult games are ones where you understand the mechanics and what the game requires of you, but you have to improve your skill level in order to achieve the goal. Not "oh you have no idea how humanity works, or what some items do, or what half the icons in the game even mean? Sucks for you!"

Anyway, other than that I'm really enjoying it. My dude is level 25 and I've just beaten the Bell Gargoyles, which was satisfying as anything. Mainly cause at first they would just obliterate me, so I wondered around, did some grinding, got some better armour and then came back and killed 'em. So that was good times.

Also all the calls to make everything like Dark Souls are dumb. I don't want Zelda to play anything like this.

Deeku

yup i'm playing through dark souls now as well. i've made my way to andor whatever and am kinda stuck (again) lol. but at least i can tell that my dude is a lot more powerful than before. just need some patience cos the game really punishes sloppy/rush through play.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
l. Not "oh you have no idea how humanity works, or what some items do, or what half the icons in the game even mean? Sucks for you!"
Eh to be honest part of the fun in the game is discovering how those mechanics work in the grand scheme of things as you progress through the game, discussing it on forums etc. And you aren't gimped in the game if you don't know what those things are, mastering that stuff just makes it easier, but even without it's a reasonable level of difficulty.;p

In regards to big changes this generation:

With the installation of instant streaming and archiving of video game footage of ALL video games I can easily see the power of games media reviews becoming heavily diluted.

We are the internet generation.
We pirate our music because it is free and it is there to be done with little to no effort at our leisure.
We pirate our movies because they are free and it is there to be done with little to no effort at our leisure.
We pirate our TV shows because they are free and it is there to be done with little to no effort at our leisure.

Reviews hit the public just before, or on the day, that expensive video game products release. More and more publishers are pushing the embargoes to the hour of release, rather than allowing the consumers to become informed before the product is available.

Allowing consumers to stream these products from the moment of release, at the same time games media put up their "reviews" creates a wash of possible avenues of education on the product. Unlike games media, consumers number in the millions, creating a cacophony of impressions that flawed & rushed media reviews cannot stand up in the face of once compared.

Streaming in all its forms is becoming incredibly popular, Netflix is becoming the future of television, movies are turning up on VOD services before physical media, Gaikai & the MS solution are on the horizon for games (not to mention all 5 current console platforms having 2nd screen connectivity), Spotify for music. Public broadcast streaming of events has now become expected, rather than asked for. When Nine Inch Nails last toured there was no such thing, now on their reunion tour millions of fans could see their first performances across the globe as the festivals/events would stream the whole thing up on Youtube et al, this has only been 3 years! Even small scale gaming broadcasts have caught dedicated, constantly expanding fanbases in competitive gaming. The current direction of the internet is shifting towards an even more constant flow of information, directly from the source and as instant as possible (removing the middlemen as the process evolves making it more and more cost effective). Some games media have thrived with this shift, Giant Bomb seems to be the most obvious example as I expect the majority of people who follow them do so for the streams and regular video updates, rather than the review and preview write ups. With the 2 biggest console markets allowing their consumers to be bombarded with the knowledge that streams are happening right in their console UI will lead to even more people noticing the benefits of this format, as well as becoming another cog in the streaming machine.

The big question is how much it will really matter? Will it be motivating enough for another market shift sooner rather than later?

Will we take more and more of our product decision making information from non-professional sources this generation due to this instant openness?
Will the Joe on the street have his Ustreamers, his Twitchers that he follows updates on each time a game hits the streets rather than F5 Polygon et al?
Will games media decide to change their ways, band together and tell the publishers things need to be opened up to them rather than continue the intense crunch gaming sessions that lead to uneducated, unintelligent and untrue reviews being published?

We know its coming, Microsoft showed their hand early but at the end of the day everyone accepts retail media will be a niche market. Streaming is the future. It's already here. I'm just wondering how fast this generation will speed up the process, especially in regards to the media surrounding the industry and how it will reshape to evolve alongside it.

Top Bottom