• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Spent more in 30 minutes in melbourne (transport getting home) then I did up until adelaide gaf all day Friday (busses, beer, schnitzel)

r1chard

So this is the result of my efforts most of last week, the Minecraft Horse cake:
IMG_20131117_140850.jpg
All chocolate because, honestly, no-one really likes fondant. And it was delicious and the birthday girl thought it was awesome. She's not eaten the horse yet, which is constructed out of liquorice allsorts painted with chocolate.

The lettering looks way better from the top ;) and they're supposed to be purple (Abbey recognised them as being purple, but in the photo they're that horrid grey... oh well)

Never again. Next time I go with something way simpler :)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
awesome work rich!

i dont suppose anyones waking up at 5 to watch the f1s? contemplating it.. but if no ones in steam chat it'll be borings. and ill probably just google the results tomorrow.

Frawdder

i dont suppose anyones waking up at 5 to watch the f1s? contemplating it.. but if no ones in steam chat it'll be borings. and ill probably just google the results tomorrow.
I'll probably watch it, not sure if I'm just going to stay up all night or try to get some sleep beforehand.

So this is the result of my efforts most of last week, the Minecraft Horse cake:

All chocolate because, honestly, no-one really likes fondant. And it was delicious and the birthday girl thought it was awesome. She's not eaten the horse yet, which is constructed out of liquorice allsorts painted with chocolate.

The lettering looks way better from the top ;) and they're supposed to be purple (Abbey recognised them as being purple, but in the photo they're that horrid grey... oh well)

Bravo. Dad of the year.

In other news, cod ghosts for ps3 360 is now $49 shipped from ebay. Probably the first time a new cod game has lost half the RRP in less than 2 weeks.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Call-Dut...ED-/111214928454?_trksid=p2053400.m2307.l3996

Mar

Still loving the absolute shit out of it. I think it having a fairly shallow ruleset works in it's favour... you're driven to aim for score rather than spend ages completing modes in a deeper game and thinking "oh, that's it?" or something and going back to the beginning. That might only apply to newer Stern games though, I reckon most 90s DMD titles would be fine in that regard.

For some reason, the other day I thought about Scared Stiff and figured (without looking at various rankings/ratings) it would be pretty cheap. Bit wrong on that one! But I know Getaway is generally not too expensive to pick up (I don't think), and I know you love it ;)

Otherwise, System 11 games (and others around that time period) seem to be the biggest bargains at the moment. Good replayability but for some reason are still (relatively) significantly cheaper than machines from eras either side of it. Still can't find a damn Taxi though :(

Oh, High Speed is perfect for skills polishing, too. Rewards reflexes flow play, which is great because while you can adapt flow play to a stop-start game, you can't take stop-start/careful play and adapt it to a flow game. Honestly, if I was in your shoes I'd almost be looking out for a HS. It's like Getaway but cheaper, and if you don't like it you're practically guaranteed to not lose a cent on it.

Great to hear you're enjoying it. I'm sure I'd love High Speed myself but haven't got a chance to play one yet (which is saying something considering how many pinball events I've been to this year...).

And well, I did it. I bought a pinball machine. Not Scared Stiff unfortunately (though I made offers on 2), and not Getaway. I ended up bidding and winning a rather worn Bride of Pinbot for a pretty good price. It will need a bit of work to get in perfect order, but thankfully I have some pretty close friends now who fix and recondition pinball machines as a profession. Getting it in running order won't be a problem, and, by the way, Bride of Pinbot happens to be my favourite machine so I'm reasonably chuffed by the whole thing. I'm even looking forward to fixing it up as I'm sure many beers and good times will be had during.

You have your state final in two weeks time right? I wish you the best of luck. My state final isn't until mid-way through December. Here's hoping we meet in the international final in Feb. Did you see France's number one player is coming down for it? He's 13th in the world and I'm hoping some more internationals come along (besides the New Zealanders). I'll be going along to the final regardless if I make through the state qualifier or not.

Wow dude great work! Your daughter will remember that for the rest of her life, don't worry about that!

Wow.

Yoshida confirmed and said these are sell-through numbers holy crap

https://mobile.twitter.com/yosp/status/402014678244524032
exir0Mf.png

Fucking hell. Easily quickest selling console. Wii did less than 400k first month in the US.

This thing is fucking huge. Puts the hardware failures in context even more, ignoring the fact we have an instant audience for our complaints.

Game on X1, game on. :)

Should be huge here too since they sold out super fast and have been allocating more and more shipments over the last few weeks to get them to pre-order holders for Xmas.

EDIT: Also compared to the massive issues Sony had in the past making enough stock for launch it's even more mindblowing they could produce such a HUGE amount of consoles without the gigantic delays we saw with the PS2 or the Wii at times.

In other news, cod ghosts for ps3 360 is now $49 shipped from ebay. Probably the first time a new cod game has lost half the RRP in less than 2 weeks.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Call-Dut...ED-/111214928454?_trksid=p2053400.m2307.l3996
Yeah pretty much every new release has been $50 these last 2 months. End of gen baby! Everyone is waiting for next gen versions, as evidenced by the PS4 version outselling the WiiU version by a country mile a week before the console was even out lol

Did you see France's number one player is coming down for it? He's 13th in the world and I'm hoping some more internationals come along (besides the New Zealanders). I'll be going along to the final regardless if I make through the state qualifier or not.
That's pretty awesome, do they stream these finals at all?

Jintor

rad as butts

Proof that there's no justice in the vidya world. WU has Wonderful 101 and will have Bayonetta 2 before there's anything worth buying a PS4 for.

The worst part about the Wii U's situation is that it's going to be lucky to make Gamecube numbers, which are an incredibly poor showing compared to PS360, let alone Wii.

Still, good that PS4 is showing that traditional consoles are viable in this world of smartphones. There's nothing I want one for just yet, but once Kingdom Hearts 3 or Final Fantasy XV roll around I'm right in.

I will never understand what people see in the Kingdom Hearts series *folds arms* *falls off a grumpy cliff of grumpiness*

It's like the intersection between Disney nostalgia and Japanese melodrama. There's less focus on the Disney nostalgia and more on the Square-Enix melodrama and refining the action RPG gameplay in titles after the first game.

It was the Disney nostalgia of the first game that hooked me, but the refinements to the gameplay in subsequent games and my enjoyment of the doofy Square-Enix melodrama that's kept me coming back.

Jintor

it seems like FFVIII to me; if I had played it while I was in high school (well, primary school for FFVIII), I'd have gotten really into it, but I didn't have a PS2 so I missed out and don't particularly want to go back.

My girlfriend is really into it though so I suspect I'll be seeing a lot of it soon enough. *sigh*

hamchan

Proof that there's no justice in the vidya world. WU has Wonderful 101 and will have Bayonetta 2 before there's anything worth buying a PS4 for.

The worst part about the Wii U's situation is that it's going to be lucky to make Gamecube numbers, which are an incredibly poor showing compared to PS360, let alone Wii.

Still, good that PS4 is showing that traditional consoles are viable in this world of smartphones. There's nothing I want one for just yet, but once Kingdom Hearts 3 or Final Fantasy XV roll around I'm right in.

Have they confirmed the Bayonetta 2 date yet? Love the original, won't buy a Wii U at current prices just for it but will play it eventually.

Nintendo really messed up the Wii U first year with the dearth of software. If Donkey Kong, Mario Kart and Smash next year can't change the fortunes of the system then it's pretty screwed.

I will never understand what people see in the Kingdom Hearts series *folds arms* *falls off a grumpy cliff of grumpiness*

For me it's good action RPG gameplay mixed with Final Fantasy/Disney childhood memories. Oh and that soundtrack is one of the best in gaming too. The wacko storyline is hilarious too, can't help getting wrapped up in it even though it's one of the most convoluted stories ever.

Have they confirmed the Bayonetta 2 date yet? Love the original, won't buy a Wii U at current prices just for it but will play it eventually.

Not yet, it's still just "2014".

it seems like FFVIII to me; if I had played it while I was in high school (well, primary school for FFVIII), I'd have gotten really into it, but I didn't have a PS2 so I missed out and don't particularly want to go back.

I was like 16 or so when I finally picked up a PS2 and played both FFVIII and Kingdom Hearts in 2004 so I guess there's something to that.

Shaneus

exir0Mf.png

Fucking hell. Easily quickest selling console. Wii did less than 400k first month in the US.

This thing is fucking huge. Puts the hardware failures in context even more, ignoring the fact we have an instant audience for our complaints.
The Dreamcast was pretty high as well, wasn't it? I seem to remember that had a strangely high day-one sales number or something. Maybe not.

Great to hear you're enjoying it. I'm sure I'd love High Speed myself but haven't got a chance to play one yet (which is saying something considering how many pinball events I've been to this year...).
From what I can gather (and I was having a chat to the dude I bought the machine from about this tonight... I was over there because he managed to get a *perfect* backglass and was happy to swap my slightly scratched (but barely noticeable) one for bugger all) High Speed is a game that wasn't brought in big numbers to Australia. At least, that's going by how rarely they're seen on eBay or any other sites, despite seeing far, FAR higher numbers of Getaway. I know mine at one stage was an import from Germany (the default attract message is in German, bahaha).

And well, I did it. I bought a pinball machine. Not Scared Stiff unfortunately (though I made offers on 2), and not Getaway. I ended up bidding and winning a rather worn Bride of Pinbot for a pretty good price. It will need a bit of work to get in perfect order, but thankfully I have some pretty close friends now who fix and recondition pinball machines as a profession. Getting it in running order won't be a problem, and, by the way, Bride of Pinbot happens to be my favourite machine so I'm reasonably chuffed by the whole thing. I'm even looking forward to fixing it up as I'm sure many beers and good times will be had during.
Congratulations! It's very much the most nervous feeling getting one and thinking "holy fuck these seem a lot smaller in arcades/pubs". Can I ask how much you paid for it, the sort of condition it's in etc. (or if it's playable)? Just as a matter of curiosity, because I don't really know prices of different pins etc. and what sort of condition it's in.

I'm stoked you got your favourite one as well, right off the bat. I honestly don't think I have one (I have ones I want to get, but most I'm yet to physically play) but I think if I'd played a HS on location, it would've been the machine I'd have wanted: Steve Ritchie table, simple ruleset, fast/flow play, cool callouts, cheesy music. About the one thing I don't share with Nate Shivers is taste for car/racing pins. I think a car-themed pin with solid flow play is a perfect match.

You'll get so much play and fun out of that game, though. I've never seen one in person, but the sound and art package is insanely good (even if the ruleset is a little iffy IMO). I was surprised (and still am) how much usage I'm getting out of mine, especially considering it's nowhere near as "deep" as basically every game that came out after it. If I make it to Sydney (I don't know how finals work... is it only the winner of the state finals that goes up? I have no idea) I definitely want to have a look!

PS. One of the first things you must do (apart from letting your missus play it first... that's customary or something) is get it to sing Old MacDonald ;)

You have your state final in two weeks time right? I wish you the best of luck. My state final isn't until mid-way through December. Here's hoping we meet in the international final in Feb. Did you see France's number one player is coming down for it? He's 13th in the world and I'm hoping some more internationals come along (besides the New Zealanders). I'll be going along to the final regardless if I make through the state qualifier or not.
Hey, thanks! I honestly have no idea how well I'll do, especially considering the winner of the AC/DC state final I've beaten (finished higher, not actually played against) each tournament meet I've been to, and I think I've finished above everybody at least once (so I guess that means something!).
Unfortunately I can't say the same about going up for the finals even if I don't make it... I may have to save any potential travelling money if (when?) I decide to go to Pinburgh ;)

Mar

Congratulations! It's very much the most nervous feeling getting one and thinking "holy fuck these seem a lot smaller in arcades/pubs". Can I ask how much you paid for it, the sort of condition it's in etc. (or if it's playable)? Just as a matter of curiosity, because I don't really know prices of different pins etc. and what sort of condition it's in.

Don't mind at all. It's this one: http://www.pinball-machines-australia.com.au/the-machine-bride-of-pin%C2%B7bot-project/

Seems to be in reasonable running order with probably a bunch of globes to replace and some switches to fix. I'm not too fussed on the wear on the backbox and playfield. The largest amount of work I think will be removing that mylar (you can see it's bubbled in many places). There's a Bride of Pinbot at the location I play most of my games at, and I'm very familiar with how difficult it is to get at things on the playfield. If I have to remove everything to clean up that mylar, well, that will be a pretty big task. The friend I have who fixes the machines in my local league fixes the Bride here and so again, I'm not worried about being able to get it running well, but it could potentially be a bit of work.

I paid $1725 which is probably a bit too much for a Bride that's not 100%, but it's a machine that I love even after playing it hundreds of times here so personally it's worth it. Fiona loves it too even though she finds it a little brutal, but understands it will be great as a machine to teach advanced ball control techniques (it's definitely not a flow game that's for sure, which is why I was iffy on buying one as it's not the best example to have to practice for tournaments).

I've never seen one in person, but the sound and art package is insanely good (even if the ruleset is a little iffy IMO).

Bride of Pinbot gets a lot of criticism for being a 'one shot game'. It's all left ramp all day. But I just find that even that one shot is difficult enough that it's incredibly rewarding when you can manage to continually hit it and get to the final mode, and start scoring billion awards. Even the number 1 player in Australia has only ever gotten 2 billion on the one here, which I've done a few times myself. So even though it's basic, it's challenging.

PS. One of the first things you must do (apart from letting your missus play it first... that's customary or something) is get it to sing Old MacDonald ;)

My plan is to, eventually, get the hidden billion shot mode which I don't think has ever been filmed. It might actually be impossible but hey, if I own one I may as well go for it. It only needs around 54 shots to the centre ramp in a row without a miss... Piece of cake!

if (when?) I decide to go to Pinburgh ;)

Yeah... I really want to do that... Still thinking about it.

Stackboy

When does PS+ roll over for the free PS4 titles?

Just checking out the Sony games store website. Makes it super easy to "buy" games using PS+

I liked the story and all the whimsy from the first game but the grinding was a deal breaker and the story got too crazy for me :( But I remember being little and seeing ads for it on TV, and then having to wait 8ish years till I finally got to play it because I never had a PS. The graphics weren't as good as I remembered but the hype sure carried me a long way.

Mine went from Melbourne to Botany (NSW). Weird shit.

I've had packages go there first then to Melbourne but never the other way around. Really strange

Yours should still arrive by the estimated delivery date though. Mine was Wednesday, I think I just got lucky. Gonna be a real kick in the balls if I get a lemon now lol

edit: maybe not tomorrow then. We'll see

Unlikely, 1 milion sold and 400 alleged reports of failure.

Maybe the tracking info got mixed up, earlier it was showing me customs cleared at an earlier time than customs initiated.

Fusebox

Banned
It really isn't. It's just completely flat as a comedy and entirely uninteresting as scifi parody. I don't know what people see in it.

At the time it was quite unique and the humour wasn't as dated but I can't imagine it attracting any new fans today, truly one of those 'you had to be there smeghead' shows.

Release day

My shipping status updated to Fowarded for delivery. I'm gonna have a PS4 in less than 12h omg omg omg

Mine says this:

SIGNED FOR BY: 845840146
SHIP CARRIER: DHL
TRACKING ID: 2357736960
LATEST EVENT: Sydney
Package arrived at a carrier facility - November 18, 2013 5:36:10 AM

So it's in town, I'm still expecting it tomorrow at this stage though.

The Dreamcast was pretty high as well, wasn't it? I seem to remember that had a strangely high day-one sales number or something. Maybe not.

It had the record day one sales for the us on its release, 225k

not really that big now, i think mid 600k was the best us release week sales prior to this

Top Bottom