• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

jambo

Just realised the DVDs are region 2 so I can't play them on my PS3.

I might finally have to look in to proper DVD -> digital options to stream them...

Edited my post to add the region information.

Apologies to anyone for any confusion.

Also, who isn't ripping their discs and converting them to digital files? C'mon, peeps.

jambo

Also, who isn't ripping their discs and converting them to digital files? C'mon, peeps.

My PS3 is plugged in to the big TV out the back so it's pretty easy to grab a DVD or Blu and just chuck it in.

Plus we have hundreds of DVDs and Blus, would be an insane amount of HDDs.

Fredescu

If anyone here is an animation fan or just enjoys old Warner Brother Animation, this may interest you:

Looney Tunes - The Complete Golden Collection (Volumes 1-6)

24 discs of old Warner Brothers goodness for $15 shipped. 15 dollaridoo. Shipped. 356 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies made between 1930-1968. 15 quid.

Bargain.

Edit:
Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)

Thanks for the reminder, rep. My player is region free plus I usually rip my disc and convert them to watch. Sorry to anyone for any confusion :(

Does it include all the racist ones?

jambo

Rahk just posted this in the IRC...

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...-withdrawal-20130528-2n88i.html#ixzz2UXlj9tut

There is no Game of Thrones this week.

Let me repeat that with emphasis - there is NO Game of Thrones this week.

This absence is all due to an "alleged" US "public holiday" that "commemorates" the "sacrifice" of those who "died" while "serving" their "country".

I'm sorry, but what were they fighting for, if not for my white, middle-class privileged self to be able to sit down in my comfortable home with my big screen TV and ample amounts of processed snack foods and watch fantasy stories about war? What is this, Nazi Germany?

tTI8wJB.jpg

o_O

Edited my post to add the region information.

Apologies to anyone for any confusion.

Life's too short. I've been collecting DVD's and Blurays since 1999. I tried but got maybe 30% of the way
In the third pic there are a bunch of black boxes. Each of them has a double sided slip case on a rail (like a mini filing cabinet) with up to 80 discs in each box. These are all my DVD box sets of shows that I either don't collect any more, have the full set, but don't watch very often (ie once every 10 years). This is full of stuff like Seinfeld, Red Dwarf, Mission Impossible, lots of old stuff (because most of its better than the new stuff)

It would be a full time job. And I don't have one of those and it would still take too much time.

I gave up ripping Seinfeld and just grabbed torrents. Takes way too fucking long!

We don't have a DVD player in the house aside from my PS3/360 lol run the boys stuff off USB or Plex. Future!

Clipper

Life's too short. I've been collecting DVD's and Blurays since 1999. I tried but got maybe 30% of the way
In the third pic there are a bunch of black boxes. Each of them has a double sided slip case on a rail (like a mini filing cabinet) with up to 80 discs in each box. These are all my DVD box sets of shows that I either don't collect any more, have the full set, but don't watch very often (ie once every 10 years). This is full of stuff like Seinfeld, Red Dwarf, Mission Impossible, lots of old stuff (because most of its better than the new stuff)

It would be a full time job. And I don't have one of those and it would still take too much time.

Yeah, I know how that feels, mate. I have to reorganise my collection soon, bought a new cabinet to do so ages ago, but just getting the time is the tricky part. Here's how my stuff looked as of early 2011:
I've since bought another one of the set of shelves and have filled it with various stuff, including board game boxes and mixed mes, DVDs and Blu-Rays. One of these days I will get around to sorting it all to be as neat as it used to be...

Feeling quite antsy this morning. Unmotivated, easy to distract and unable to focus on anything for more than a few minutes at a time.

This state of mind comes and goes, but when I get it, it's like my productivity plummets.

Also, gaming GAF is awful. How is it that I was so entertained by it for such a long while?

Shaneus

Feeling quite antsy this morning. Unmotivated, easy to distract and unable to focus on anything for more than a few minutes at a time.

This state of mind comes and goes, but when I get it, it's like my productivity plummets.

Also, gaming GAF is awful. How is it that I was so entertained by it for such a long while?
Ever chase up the ADHD thing? Maybe you should.

Ever chase up the ADHD thing? Maybe you should.
I talked to a counsellor through my work's EAP about the distraction thing. She thought it might be related to my sleep patterns, diet exercise etc., especially with me being a new dad. I told her I'd try to adjust my lifestyle and get exercise during my lunch hours for a while and make a follow up appointment.

Still haven't done that. Making the appointment, I mean. I've been jogging along the river and catching naps when I can.

Ugh. Did another points order this morning with a fresh account, fresh Paypal. Already cancelled.

FMLuck

Do you drink coffee? My focus has been a lot better at work since switching to tea.

Although my focus was fucked the last 3 weeks due to no sleep, so it is most likely that. Last 2 night the boy has slept through so I feel a million fucking dollars today and got more work done between 8am - 9am than I usually do in a whole day!

Fusebox

Banned
Oh shit Hulu+ just accepted my Mastercard!

Historically Hulu+ has never accepted any non-US credit card or paypal account and I had to account share off GAFfers but the GAFfer I was sharing with let the account lapse and now he isn't around anymore, so I gave my own account a try as a long shot and for some reason it now works!

Game changer.

Do you drink coffee? My focus has been a lot better at work since switching to tea.

Although my focus was fucked the last 3 weeks due to no sleep, so it is most likely that. Last 2 night the boy has slept through so I feel a million fucking dollars today and got more work done between 8am - 9am than I usually do in a whole day!
I drink coffee, but not every day. Usually, I use it to get me through the morning as I'm never quite awake before 10am otherwise.

lexi

Banned

Historically Hulu+ has never accepted any non-US credit card or paypal account and I had to account share off GAFfers but the GAFfer I was sharing with let the account lapse and now he isn't around anymore, so I gave my own account a try as a long shot and for some reason it now works!

Game changer.

Not sure if worth it. I'm mostly happy with just Netflix, even if it doesn't have newer stuff.

I would, however, love HBO Go. I love living in a world where a company has content I want to purchase and they refuse to sell it to me.

Fusebox

Banned
Not sure if worth it. I'm mostly happy with just Netflix, even if it doesn't have newer stuff.

I would, however, love HBO Go. I love living in a world where a company has content I want to purchase and they refuse to sell it to me.

Yeah HBO Go would be the final piece of the puzzle for me, but as it is Netflix and Hulu+ is the awesome combo. Netflix for movies, full series and older shows. Hulu+ for latest eps of Daily Show, Colbert, Hells Kitchen, Family Guy, Parks and Rec, Community etc.

Dead Man

Hey AusGAF: I'm not dead yet! Won't have internet for another couple of days (won't even have power tomorrow night).

Can't get the direct URL of this pic I took this morning to embed in a post, if someone wants to post it directly in here go ahead...

http://instagram.com/p/Z00HjZO91Y/

Have so far been to Jerash, Mount Nebo, the Dead Sea (got covered in mud), Kerak, Petra (hells yeah) and tomorrow Wadi Rum. Jordan is pretty nice actually. Not as hot as expected thus far, but still sunburnt.

Postcard over.
Outstanding.
Lash out on a better hotel dude, that looks ancient.
LOL
If anyone here is an animation fan or just enjoys old Warner Brother Animation, this may interest you:

Looney Tunes - The Complete Golden Collection (Volumes 1-6)

24 discs of old Warner Brothers goodness for $15 shipped. 15 dollaridoo. Shipped. 356 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies made between 1930-1968. 15 quid.

Bargain.

Edit:
Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)

Thanks for the reminder, rep. My player is region free plus I usually rip my disc and convert them to watch. Sorry to anyone for any confusion :(
Bought. Now is when the $40 kmart dvd player pays for itself.

I got rid of all my DVDs/blurays/music CDs etc. at the start of the year. Liberating. And after signing up to mog (spotify ripoff) I'm half tempted to delete all my music.

though I did keep my Simpsons boxsets.

Ugh. Did another points order this morning with a fresh account, fresh Paypal. Already cancelled.

FMLuck

I stupidly paid by cc so I have no idea where I stand.

I got rid of all my DVDs/blurays/music CDs etc. at the start of the year. Liberating. And after signing up to mog (spotify ripoff) I'm half tempted to delete all my music.

though I did keep my Simpsons boxsets.
I've pretty well been doing the same, except at the start of the year when I noticed all three Arrested Development seasons on sale for $30. Sold. I already had all of them on my computer but it was still worth it

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Taco mix was disappointing :/, so no pics. Nothing wrong with the texture and tasted fine, but was totally devoid of all the spice and flavouring I put in. Consistency was right on, but it was boring. I'll have to double or triple everything next time. There was a nice, subtle chilli heat stoking the flavours which was about the only thing I got right, and even then I wanted it far hotter.

Speaking of hot, this sauce is incredible.

sauce5tuk6.jpg

And by incredible I mean inevitable diarrhoea.

legend166

Game changer.

Interesting.

I don't think I have the time to actually subscribe since I've got more than enough to watch on Netflix. Does Hulu do a free trial?

Taco mix was disappointing :/, so no pics. Nothing wrong with the texture and tasted fine, but was totally devoid of all the spice and flavouring I put in. Consistency was right on, but it was boring. I'll have to double or triple everything next time. There was a nice, subtle chilli heat stoking the flavours which was about the only thing I got right, and even then I wanted it far hotter.

Speaking of hot, this sauce is incredible.

sauce5tuk6.jpg

And by incredible I mean inevitable diarrhoea.

Did you by any chance put more meat than usual but with the same amount of spices.

also, did you put the spices in when you first started cooking the meat?
I've had occasions where I have made come curries but added more veg, but not more curry simmer sauce and the end result is blander than I'd like.

just checking.

also. Salt.

other than that, carry on.

also premium double length Kleenex

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did you by any chance put more meat than usual but with the same amount of spices.

also, did you put the spices in when you first started cooking the meat?
I've had occasions where I have made come curries but added more veg, but not more curry simmer sauce and the end result is blander than I'd like.

just checking.

also. Salt.

other than that, carry on.

also premium double length Kleenex

I think you're right - too much meat-to-spice ratio. Put the spices in first, fried them briefly with the onion, garlic, and chili, then the meat, then the beans, and let it simmer in the oven hotpot for about six hours (took the lid off for the last hour to reduce the liquid). I blame the ratio. The meat tasted fine, and the texture was good, and there was definitely an underscore of chilli heat throughout. But it definitely needed more cumin and hot paprika, and maybe twice the chilli and garlic.

I've had that sauce, it is wonderful. I've only ever had it at the pub, I should really find some when shopping. Easily the best hot sauce I've ever had.

Are you in Melbourne? There's a supermarket in Heidelberg that sells it, along with the less spicy green and red variants. If you want I can get you some and mail it your way, if you're interstate or out of reach.

Stackboy

Lexi how much on average do you think your Netflix watching downloads? Just curious.

Gazunta

Has there been any nailing down of any AusGAF shenanigans during AusPAX? Looks like my Sunday is off the menu thanks to King Kong being extended another week or so :)

Fusebox

Banned
I can't believe hulu plus still has goddamned ads. Hopefully it at least has less ads

Yep, Plus still has ads but the best thing about Plus for me is being able to use it directly on PS3 and iOS.

Also if you're used to Foxtel or Aussie FTA ads the Hulu ads are NOTHING by comparison. They're barely a blip on the radar.

- They're short, and there's a countdown timer telling you exactly when the show will start/resume. usually no more than 60 seconds.
- They're much quieter than the actual show, as opposed to Aus TV ads which have me diving for the remote late at night to turn them down, I often have to turn Hulu ads up if they look interesting.
- They're usually ads for games, movies, shows and when they aren't they're at least usually funny or really slick. None of this Barrys Bargain Bricks local warehouse yelling shit at you, think more Superbowl halftime ads.
- Lately I've seen a lot of shows that let you choose from the start between having regular ad breaks or watching a 2 minute movie preview or something similar before the show instead and then getting the whole show ad free after that.

Interesting.

I don't think I have the time to actually subscribe since I've got more than enough to watch on Netflix. Does Hulu do a free trial?

Yep 7 days free but iirr it will autorenew so remember to cancel on the 7th day if you don't like it.

Danoss

Are you in Melbourne? There's a supermarket in Heidelberg that sells it, along with the less spicy green and red variants. If you want I can get you some and mail it your way, if you're interstate or out of reach.

I am in Sydney. I did find a place in North Rocks that sells the stuff for $5 a bottle. Postage is $10, but luckily it's not too far from my house. It's here at Fireworks Foods, that place looks like heaven for spicy food lovers.

Thanks for the offer, if I don't have much luck with them I'll definitely take you up on it.

EatChildren

It's just shy of $5 for a bottle in store here too. But yeah, let me know. Happy to grab you whatever you want and mail it your way.

Kritz

Banned
While we're all posting pictures of physical media, here's my progress approximately 6 months after I've picked up board games as a hobby:

It's not much of a collection, but it's getting there.

Agricola, Puerto Rico, Carcassonne + Inns and Cathedrals, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Battlestar Galactica, Munchkin, King of Tokyo, Galaxy Trucker, Game of Thrones Card Game, as well as the game that got me into the hobby - Zombies!!! + mall expansion.

And Cards Against Humanity because where else am I going to put it.

So far my favourite is Carcassonne - I think the art is gorgeous, the game is incredibly simple to teach, and I find the tile and meeple placement systems to be incredibly engaging and strategic even though there's a whole lot of luck involved.

I've only played it a few times so far, but I'm also really enjoying Puerto Rico, perhaps even more than Agricola.

Yep, Plus still has ads but the best thing about Plus for me is being able to use it directly on PS3 and iOS.

Also if you're used to Foxtel or Aussie FTA ads the Hulu ads are NOTHING by comparison. They're barely a blip on the radar.

- They're short, and there's a countdown timer telling you exactly when the show will start/resume. usually no more than 60 seconds.
- They're much quieter than the actual show, as opposed to Aus TV ads which have me diving for the remote late at night to turn them down, I often have to turn Hulu ads up if they look interesting.
- They're usually ads for games, movies, shows and when they aren't they're at least usually funny or really slick. None of this Barrys Bargain Bricks local warehouse yelling shit at you, think more Superbowl halftime ads.
- Lately I've seen a lot of shows that let you choose from the start between having regular ad breaks or watching a 2 minute movie preview or something similar before the show instead and then getting the whole show ad free after that.

Yep 7 days free but iirr it will autorenew so remember to cancel on the 7th day if you don't like it.
That kind of advertising warms the cockles of my dead heart :)

lexi

Banned
Lexi how much on average do you think your Netflix watching downloads? Just curious.

I couldn't say. It must account for a bit cause I watch a lot of it. I have a 500gb plan that counts uploads and at the end of the month I've only used 140gb.

Stackboy

I couldn't say. It must account for a bit cause I watch a lot of it. I have a 500gb plan that counts uploads and at the end of the month I've only used 140gb.

That's pretty serious when you have a 200 gig plan and share it with 2 other people.

If Netflix officially launched in Oz and was unmetered on iinet, I would jump in.

Top Bottom