• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

senahorse

Ha yeah, you have every right to be pessimistic. I'll honestly be surprised if the noalition go with any form of NBN at all, I could easily see them blaming Labor's incompetent accounting on why they won't, they don't have a good history of fulfilling big infrastructure projects.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
happy to have a gathering at my place for ausgafPAXAUS, it's a bit out in the burbs (35 min train ride from flinders then a nice walk :) ) but the offers there.

My PS3 is plugged in to the big TV out the back so it's pretty easy to grab a DVD or Blu and just chuck it in.

Plus we have hundreds of DVDs and Blus, would be an insane amount of HDDs.
Commitment issues, all of you :)

I've not converted everything I have. I'm less likely to encode movies than I am a television show. It's so much easier to watch a season that's been encoded than it is going from disc to disc. On top of that, I was tired of having all the discs sitting out, just taking up space. This means they now get to sit in the garage taking up space.

Does it include all the racist ones?
I wish. They'll only live on in the murky depths of the internet.

While we're all posting pictures of physical media, here's my progress approximately 6 months after I've picked up board games as a hobby:

It's not much of a collection, but it's getting there.

Agricola, Puerto Rico, Carcassonne + Inns and Cathedrals, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Battlestar Galactica, Munchkin, King of Tokyo, Galaxy Trucker, Game of Thrones Card Game, as well as the game that got me into the hobby - Zombies!!! + mall expansion.

And Cards Against Humanity because where else am I going to put it.

So far my favourite is Carcassonne - I think the art is gorgeous, the game is incredibly simple to teach, and I find the tile and meeple placement systems to be incredibly engaging and strategic even though there's a whole lot of luck involved.

I've only played it a few times so far, but I'm also really enjoying Puerto Rico, perhaps even more than Agricola.

Nice collection you have there. I've had my eye on Galaxy Trucker for myself and King of Tokyo for when my son is older. Are they worth the purchase?

jambo

Commitment issues, all of you :)

I've not converted everything I have. I'm less likely to encode movies than I am a television show. It's so much easier to watch a season that's been encoded than it is going from disc to disc. On top of that, I was tired of having all the discs sitting out, just taking up space. This means they now get to sit in the garage taking up space.

There's a great new invention you should try, they're called shelves.

Shaneus

Do you have a process for ripping everything? I was hoping for some way to do an "Insert disc. Have program copy everything from disc onto HDD. Encode in MKV, keep commentary. Rename". Like Sickbeard, but with DVDs and automation and shit.

Gave up after two discs of trying to rip Futurama (and finding that the PAL copies have crappy interspersed frames to account for 60Hz originals) and never being satisfied with the results.

Do you have a process for ripping everything? I was hoping for some way to do an "Insert disc. Have program copy everything from disc onto HDD. Encode in MKV, keep commentary. Rename". Like Sickbeard, but with DVDs and automation and shit.

Gave up after two discs of trying to rip Futurama (and finding that the PAL copies have crappy interspersed frames to account for 60Hz originals) and never being satisfied with the results.

I used AutoGK and DVD Decrypter in the past. Found that combo idea on some webpage called "How to make aXXo quality rips!"
lol

Kritz

Banned
Nice collection you have there. I've had my eye on Galaxy Trucker for myself and King of Tokyo for when my son is older. Are they worth the purchase?

Galaxy Trucker is quite expensive but I've had a lot of fun playing it. Is one of those games where players can be knocked out for a while and kinda just sit there looking at their severed heap of spaceship parts while the other players are still actively doing stuff. The game doesn't take too long to explain how it works, and once you're out of the building phase it's a really easy game for people to follow. Cards could fair to be a bit less ambiguous to their meanings, however - considering they don't have that much information to be conveyed on them.

King of Tokyo is kinda the game I play when moving between games. It's extremely simple, highly luck based, with a standard push your luck system. I think the elevator pitch of the game (Giant monsters battling each other for control of Tokyo) is much more interesting than the game itself, but the game makes up for these shortcomings with its brutally quick matches and the funny situations you end up in as a result of certain dice rolling big or screwing you over completely.

I much prefer Galaxy Trucker, and it's the kind of game that has a great pitch to get people playing, the act of building together your spaceship while competing with everyone else on the table for parts has a great social dynamic, and it's just fun to watch your spaceship get through a round on a wing and prayer.

That's pretty serious when you have a 200 gig plan and share it with 2 other people.

If Netflix officially launched in Oz and was unmetered on iinet, I would jump in.

I had the same problem with spotify, I really wanted to get it but would have killed my phone data cap in a day or two.

There's a great new invention you should try, they're called shelves.
Your views interest me. Do you have a newsletter to which I can subscribe?

DVD Decrypter -> Handbrake. It doesn't take too long in terms of your own involvement but it takes a while to perform the actual rip and encode. You can keep commentary tracks (which I do), as well as multiple languages and subtitles.

Fusebox

Banned
Btw I also got that Looney Tunes boxset from your link this morning Jase, thanks for the tip man, I'm sure my kid will love it.

Just gotta dig out the old DVD player now, damn region-locked PS3.

jambo

I will most likely lend it to my cousins as they have 2 young children. Great for when I have some little tackers running around too!

Microsoft Store is run by Digital River.
It all makes sense now!

I just ripped one out. Wasn't a HDD though.

Couldn't help myself
lol nice

Just a note, the reason these are so cheap is that quite a few of those models had overheating issues and would die. Seagate replaced them with a new model so AusPOST are likely clearing the old stock ASAP.

Yeah I'll be taking it out of the shell anyway. I've read some people having issue and others that it has been fine.

Shaneus

LOL, that's was terrible.
That's what she said.

And thank you to everyone for their thanks about the box set. I'm really glad that there are so many people in here that wanted it... even if they are saying it's primarily "for their kids."
Mine was for someone else's kids. If you know what I mean.

My sister's kids. Duh.

AusPOST have some cheap HDD's. 2TB for $50, 3TB for $70. Might rip one out for a new media drive.
Brilliant. As someone who's upgrading a bunch of stuff in his NAS quite soon, I might partake in a 3TB or two. Or I might wait for them to get cheaper (will they get cheaper? That's damn cheap).

Deeku

so, my playasia order of luigis mansion and nsmb2, turned out that nsmb2 wasn't really in stock or something
semi thank god
, so i changed it to a cheapass copy of layton vs phoniex wright (jp). they didn't recalculate the 25% coupon thing properly so i kinda got extra discounts lol!

i kinda hate layton and like phoenix, so will be interesting.

Galaxy Trucker is quite expensive but I've had a lot of fun playing it. Is one of those games where players can be knocked out for a while and kinda just sit there looking at their severed heap of spaceship parts while the other players are still actively doing stuff. The game doesn't take too long to explain how it works, and once you're out of the building phase it's a really easy game for people to follow. Cards could fair to be a bit less ambiguous to their meanings, however - considering they don't have that much information to be conveyed on them.

King of Tokyo is kinda the game I play when moving between games. It's extremely simple, highly luck based, with a standard push your luck system. I think the elevator pitch of the game (Giant monsters battling each other for control of Tokyo) is much more interesting than the game itself, but the game makes up for these shortcomings with its brutally quick matches and the funny situations you end up in as a result of certain dice rolling big or screwing you over completely.

I much prefer Galaxy Trucker, and it's the kind of game that has a great pitch to get people playing, the act of building together your spaceship while competing with everyone else on the table for parts has a great social dynamic, and it's just fun to watch your spaceship get through a round on a wing and prayer.

Thanks for the write up. Both sound good in their own ways. I'll have to put them on my wishlist. I reckon my boy will love King of Tokyo when he's older.

Love how evilore runs this place, such as the aftermath of the suicide attempt,

He perma-banned my waifu ;.;

I don't think banning Kevin was a great idea. Even though he's obviously having problems right now and some threads seem to have aggravated that he needs a support base, and that has proven in the past to be gaf. I hope the ban isn't for too long, I'm worried it might make things worse.

happy to have a gathering at my place for ausgafPAXAUS, it's a bit out in the burbs (35 min train ride from flinders then a nice walk :) ) but the offers there.

whoooo party at holychecks!

Welcome back.

What?! Anti got banned?! Fuck! She was really good to read.

Brilliant. As someone who's upgrading a bunch of stuff in his NAS quite soon, I might partake in a 3TB or two. Or I might wait for them to get cheaper (will they get cheaper? That's damn cheap).
Don't see them getting cheaper. Perfect media drives to swap into the PC.

I don't think banning Kevin was a great idea. Even though he's obviously having problems right now and some threads seem to have aggravated that he needs a support base, and that has proven in the past to be gaf. I hope the ban isn't for too long, I'm worried it might make things worse.
I expect Evilore discussed it privately with KevinCow through PM's. Probably a similar ban to everyone who gets them during exams and the like.

He needs to get some outside help, GAF is too much of a crutch.

I expect Evilore discussed it privately with KevinCow through PM's. Probably a similar ban to everyone who gets them during exams and the like.

He needs to get some outside help, GAF is too much of a crutch.

I sure hope so. That "call a hotline" post seems oddly cold otherwise. Sometimes people need a crutch to get through, I just think he'd be better getting professional help and not being cut off.

What?! Anti got banned?! Fuck! She was really good to read.

It was pretty crazy really.

HOLY JASE

I sure hope so. That "call a hotline" post seems oddly cold otherwise. Sometimes people need a crutch to get through, I just think he'd be better getting professional help and not being cut off.

It was pretty crazy really.

He has been posting about it for quite a long time. GAF is a huge help but you need outside help as well otherwise things will collapse.

Also holy shit at the ban! What the fuck indeed.

:/

Also Riggs was banned but I never liked Riggs anyway. AM was pretty much always worth reading, sad to see her go.

Hope GirlGAF thread doesn't die down too much :(

Deeku

also shan, get a jp 3ds, you'll be fine. plus you'll be in japan next year and you can go pickup 500 yen bargain bin games n stuff!

Fusebox

Banned
AusGAF my old Dell Vostro desktop is giving me the shits, it keeps doing these annoying microfreezes. I want to put in a glorious SSD drive which will fix all of my problems and make my dreams come true. Which one should I buy? 256GB should be fine.

About the JP 3DS though, I bought a DSi LL in Tokyo and got annoyed by the fact the entire OS is in Japanese, is the JP 3DS OS in Japanese as well and would that bother you? Makes simple things like hooking up wifi and stuff a real pain imo.

also shan, get a jp 3ds, you'll be fine. plus you'll be in japan next year and you can go pickup 500 yen bargain bin games n stuff!

hehe, thanks. I think I will! I'm mainly concerned with being in over my head language wise and not being able to get friend connections with Australian 3DS's. Why does it have to be so hard? D:

He perma-banned my waifu because he didn't like her personally ;.;

ilv4CoXC4mTKk.gif

Top Bottom