• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Kritz

Banned
ME1's shooting is better than 2. And 2 tries to be an actual shooter.

Powerful, uniquely designed weapons with a clear sense of risk reward in the simple using of the mechanic > call of duty LT+RT sprayhoses

Fusebox

Banned
ME1 for me but I agree there is no way I could go back to it.

So true. :(

I played 1 when it came out and loved it, missed 2 and 3 and recently bought the trilogy. The plan was to replay 1 and then move on but damn it's slow, and there's so much dialogue and no way to go back through the dialogue if I get distracted and miss what they're saying.

Not a new page:

#teamnewvegas

Fredescu
FallbackPants
reptilescorpio
Jables Swan
Rezbit
Kritz
jambo
wonzo
DarthHomer
Fogz
reggie

#teamfallout3

Omi
lexi
Dead Man
Fusebox
hamchan

#teamfallout 1

pieatorium

#teamfallout2

Jintor

#teamtheworldendswithyou

Box of Bunnies

#teamdoesn'tplaygames

roosters93

Dead Man

Gold. Boody idiot.
Oh boy, now we've moved all the way to 'calling people apes isn't racist'. Pack it up guys, we're done here. Jesus fucking christ.
I'd given up on it, but now I have to go look again, damn you.
I was going to say sequels are great until third installments. But then that invalidates my fallout position. Fuck.
Yeah.... but.... maybe only the third game is crap, so FO3 would be fine, right? Since it's the fifth game? Right?
Also Saints Row 3
Ah crap. Yeah, that breaks the rule.
New Vegas shits on Fallout 3. Better story, better characters, better location, more refined mechanics, etc. etc. etc...

LOL, just no.

Fusebox

Banned
Far Cry 3 disc out, NV disc in.

I wasn't feeling FC3 anyway, I just finished Spec Ops (awesome game) and am a bit over regular shooters right now.

Jintor

I've got to get out of that fucking thread before I pop a gasket at someone and get banned. Christ. I want to punch my fist through a fucking monitor.

I took it as a backhanded compliment. Or something like that. Whatever it is when someone says "obviously the fault is with me" when they clearly mean "the fault is obviously with you". I guess that's textbook irony now that I think about it. I thought you were being ironic, in the proper sense.
Sorry, the fault is obviously with you.

Just to confuse matters all-the-more, I'm going to respond to the part that I didn't, previously...

Characters and story are rarely central to a video game. Sequels are better because a new IP usually involves a new series of mechanics to help define that IP. Getting these mechanics right during development can be difficult, and often the nature of software development means it's possible to be too far along in development to change something fundamental without throwing out months of work. So a new IP is often an experiment. If the same developer is lucky enough to be able to make a sequel, they will have learnt lessons during the development of the first, and have lots of feedback from players to filter through to allow for refinement.

Meanwhile the ancient greeks used papyrus and the mechanics of novels haven't changed all that much from that. Hell, Samsung still makes it.
I don't quite agree with this. Exactly the same criticism can be levelled at books, movies, comics, whathaveyou. With books, the mechanics of a series is very much ironing, or feeling out, of the characters, their interactions, the settings and even the pacing of the story and the universe as a whole. There are a number of book series that started out much like a new video game IP; trepadicious grasping at themes, story beats, narrative styles, literary techniques and group/individual dynamics. These are similar, if not entirely analogous, to the experimental nature of the initial game of a new series, which then takes feedback, as well as organic growth of the characters and world to refine, flesh out and expand on the success of what came before.

So the question remains, if civilisations of the past have already concocted characters and worlds, why should art/books/movie/television/stage/musicians express themselves by coming up with their own flawed, non-tested ideas when they could just use what has already been done?

Jase: Improvement through iteration!

No Wang for anyone it seems. Nice work webprogrammers!

New page? You 50pp pleb.
#team50ppp

You guys have convinced me to fire up NV again and give it more of a go.
Take it slow and it is a fantastic journey. One of the best games of the generation for my money, finally made the baby steps of Oblivion/Fallout 3 worth my attention in terms of storytelling and atmosphere.

GOTY edition patches made it a glitch free experience on 360 too.

Far Cry 3 disc out, NV disc in.

I wasn't feeling FC3 anyway, I just finished Spec Ops (awesome game) and am a bit over regular shooters right now.
FC3 is more of a hunting game than a shooter!

If I'm flying down to Melbourne domestically, do I want to go to Avalon or Tullamarine?
Avalon. Then keep heading south for another 3 hours until you reach me!

Fusebox

Banned
You're hyping me up rep! I just downloaded and installed 300mb worth of NV updates and then reinstalled the game to my PS3 and am about to hit the new game button.... now.

I've got to get out of that fucking thread before I pop a gasket at someone and get banned. Christ. I want to punch my fist through a fucking monitor.

Lol Jintor, I didn't think you'd be the type to start breaking shit just because people are disagreeing with you.

Go back in and let em have it, no point busting up a good monitor.

Jintor

I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but he stormed in there, said "If you hold the opinion you do you're a racist fuck" and then called me condescending for thinking people were better than they apparently are.

Well I told them to PM me the code if they don't want me to unlike lol

You're hyping me up rep! I just downloaded and installed 300mb worth of NV updates and then reinstalled the game to my PS3 and am about to hit the new game button.... now.
Wait..... PS3 version...

Uh oh.

:/

I know. I'm arguing against Fred's NO NOO IP COZ SEQUALS IZ WHERE IZ AT, BITCHES! stance.

Keep up!
Is that Devils Advocate Fred or Regular Fred? Like the QOTSA song?

I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but he stormed in there, said "If you hold the opinion you do you're a racist fuck" and then called me condescending for thinking people were better than they apparently are.

Penny+Arcade+Internet+Fuckwad+Theory.jpg

Pretty sure Codswallop is a New Vegas man! I thought I saw him tweet #teamnewvegas earlier!

He was the opposite of sensitive the moron.

We said a good game, not two!

Wait, Klepek is leaving Giant Bomb? Who will tell them about gaming news? This seems like a bad idea.

who needs news when you have them making up bullshit
if i wanted/cared about gaming news outside of e3 ill ask you chaps or go find a different site.

edit
also #teamneverfinishedfo3andyettoownfo:nv

Is that Devils Advocate Fred or Regular Fred? Like the QOTSA song?
I'm not sure. I'm not even sure if I'm Regular Jase or Devil's Advocate Jase. I'm not even really sure which Jase Regular Jase is. I think he may be Opportunity To Take The Opposite Stance Jase.

I'm just really confused... and sleepy.

A little hungry, too.

Kritz

Banned
I read racist threads, and truly enjoy reading them, but I know the moment I post something I will be banned.

Because apparently pretend racism is still super racist

Danoss

Just came across the Bundle of Holding. It's what the humble bundle does, but for indie RPGs instead, how cool!

I own the bottom 3 but know about all of them and they are all well worth having in your collection. Grab 'em while you can.

Shaneus

Subway open up in my town today! Yay having it for tea tonight!
It has a drive through... has you ever seen a subway with drive through before?
I pass one every day on the bus to work.
Okay, this exchange totally reminded me of The Simpsons where Kirk van Houten says how cool it is to sleep in a race car bed, when Homer replies "I sleep in a regular bed with my wife" or something like that.

Fucking awesome.

Jintor

Games on the Bethesda engine have a memory leak bug on PS3 that wrecks the game the longer you go with it... I think...

Dead Man

The strip by itself is single handedly better than the entirety of Fallout 3s locations.

3 empty buildings with a loading screen is better than what now? Given the limitations of Beth's engine, trying to make anywhere that depended on masses of people was ridiculous. It could have been amazing. It wasn't. Freeside was pretty cool, but The Strip was garbage.

Really that bad? :(

Yeah, pretty bad.

Games on the Bethesda engine have a memory leak bug on PS3 that wrecks the game the longer you go with it... I think...

Yeah, and the bigger the save file gets the worse the game runs too.

Strip had plenty to do and see in the PC/360 GOTY editions. I can't remember shit of F3 aside from the town on a boat that refused to let me load my game on.

The BEST part of Fallout 3 is the intro. That was fucking awesome. That feeling of opening the door and seeing sunlight. Next gen moment. Too bad everything afterwards bored me to tears and felt like a grind.

Just came across the Bundle of Holding. It's what the humble bundle does, but for indie RPGs instead, how cool!

I own the bottom 3 but know about all of them and they are all well worth having in your collection. Grab 'em while you can.
Oooooh this is awesome! Pretty sure I've heard of Hollowpoint.

Thank fuck for indie bundles.

Really that bad? :(
All the Beth engine games run like shit on PS3 most of all. The memory leak stuff is terrible, New Vegas had major issues due to not having enough RAM to load into. So many millions of changes are saved into your save game. They removed a few houses from the GOTY edition as they had massive memory hogging items for one reason or another.

The woes of using someone elses engine! Thank fuck for Kickstarter.

Okay, this exchange totally reminded me of The Simpsons where Kirk van Houten says how cool it is to sleep in a race car bed, when Homer replies "I sleep in a regular bed with my wife" or something like that.

Fucking awesome.

lol Jambo said he takes the bus to work, that doesn't sound all that fun. Although it is Adelaide so maybe it wouldn't be as cutthroat there.

Thank fuck for living 5 minutes from work!

Fuck you, I got some shitty MySQL error and it then said I was already given a code. Christ, you're worse than that cunt Jase, I swear.

Blame Salsa.

Also I see you added me on Facebook! Along with about a dozen other people. I should check this piece of shit Facebook more often lol

Dead Man

Strip had plenty to do and see in the PC/360 GOTY editions. I can't remember shit of F3 aside from the town on a boat that refused to let me load my game on.

The BEST part of Fallout 3 is the intro. That was fucking awesome. That feeling of opening the door and seeing sunlight. Next gen moment. Too bad everything afterwards bored me to tears and felt like a grind.

LOL no it didn't.

Top Bottom