• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Shaneus

Blame Salsa.

Also I see you added me on Facebook! Along with about a dozen other people. I should check this piece of shit Facebook more often lol
I shit you not, that was *maybe* 10-12 months ago. Possibly less, maybe around the time of your bucks' when you were in Geelong. But I suspect it was a few months before that.

XCOM is $10 on Amazon for a Steamcode.
QLDer? $8 credit for a bar meal on June 5th lol

I shit you not, that was *maybe* 10-12 months ago. Possibly less, maybe around the time of your bucks' when you were in Geelong. But I suspect it was a few months before that.

Heh, I usually just use the wife's Facebook account for promo stuff since it is always logged in but when this one failed I jumped into mine to give it a shot.

I can't imagine how I could juggle keeping up appearances on Facebook as well as everything else! No idea how 18 year old me did it :/

lexi

Banned
Truth bombs: NV lacked atmosphere, was boring and had a poor overarching narrative. It did have some pretty awesome quests but they're wasted on the boring NV world.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Truth bombs: NV lacked atmosphere, was boring and had a poor overarching narrative. It did have some pretty awesome quests but they're wasted on the boring NV world.
Bullshit, Vault 11 has more atmosphere than the entirely of Fallout 3.

Kritz

Banned
Deus Ex 3 is better than Deus Ex 1
The boat and car levels in Half Life 2 were amazing
STALKER is one of the best video game series ever made
Nintendo developed games are mindnumbingly boring babby games
Red Dead Redemption is littered with filler missions and garbage combat encounters, and is all together a poor video game hindered by a BAFFLINGLY stupid destruction of the only cool mechanic the game offered - the regression of the slowmo ability throughout the game.
Saints Row: The Third is a worse game than Saints Row 2, and the only reason to play it is because of the three missions with songs in them.
Alan Wake's combat sucked
Vanquish is cool, but it isn't that good
The save system in Dead Rising makes the game better
Euro Truck Simulator 2 is one of the best video games of last year
Fable 2 is actually a cool game. Fable 1 is also really fun. Fable 3 probably wasn't worth the money I paid for it.
All 3D Grand Theft Auto games, with the exception of The Lost and Damned, are shitty Rockstar trash. And Mafia II is better than all of them.
Mirror's Edge's shooting was fine. It was actually kinda fun. The thing people should complain about is how long you spend in fucking ventilation shafts, holy shit.
Batman: Arkham Asylum has about three hours of fun stretched to the breaking point of tedium.

WHO GOT A MICROPHONE I NEED TO DROP SOMETHING

Jintor

Red Dead Redemption is littered with filler missions and garbage combat encounters, and is all together a poor video game hindered by a BAFFLINGLY stupid destruction of the only cool mechanic the game offered - the regression of the slowmo ability throughout the game.
Saints Row: The Third is a worse game than Saints Row 2, and the only reason to play it is because of the three missions with songs in them.
Fable 2 is actually a cool game. Fable 1 is also really fun. Fable 3 probably wasn't worth the money I paid for it.
All 3D Grand Theft Auto games, with the exception of The Lost and Damned, are shitty Rockstar trash. And Mafia II is better than all of them.
Mirror's Edge's shooting was fine. It was actually kinda fun. The thing people should complain about is how long you spend in fucking ventilation shafts, holy shit.
Batman: Arkham Asylum has about three hours of fun stretched to the breaking point of tedium.

I'll give you those. The rest can eat it.

Bullshit, Vault 11 has more atmosphere than the entirely of Fallout 3.

Vault 34 was my favourite as it demanded that I take the companion system seriously as well as allow me to adapt my playstyle to survive in the radiated Vault. It was a bitch but the whole time I was like "fuck yes, this is the kind of adversity I want to see".

Kritz

Banned
I like two things

Shooting people in the face
And driving trucks on things

Crackdown is the greatest game of all time by this logic, and who am I to argue with logic.

EDIT:

OH

Stanglehold was a pretty awesome game too.

Stranglehold
Fable 2
Fallout 2
Crackdown?

GAMES WHERE YOU CAN SHOOT PEOPLE IN THE BALLS

Jintor

I can't assess Stalker nor Fable, I'm indeterminate on Vanquish, and Batman AA was hella rad for significantly more than 3 hours but probably less than the total amount of time I spent on it.

Jintor

I still have to play that. I've got it... I just promised myself I'd play To The Moon first... and I haven't even done that

BOLD IS TRUE

YOU SUCK

Also how the fuck is GTA3 shitty trash? At the time it was groundbreaking! Revolutionary! Huge leap forward in game design! Mindblowing ffs!

Mafia 2 is awesome though. The gunplay/controls are orgasmic. I want that in GTA5.

Also TLaD was meh, Gay Tony was the best of the GTA4 series.

Fredescu

So the question remains, if civilisations of the past have already concocted characters and worlds, why should art/books/movie/television/stage/musicians express themselves by coming up with their own flawed, non-tested ideas when they could just use what has already been done?

Eh, sure language and the use of it changes and evolves but that's pretty different and much more gradual than a lot of game mechanic changes are. Broadening it to all art would make this discussion take a lot of time and really, I know shit about the history of stage performance, let alone my general videogame ignorance, so that time would probably be wasted.

So now that I've excused myself from addressing your point completely. Blockbuster videogames get made by thousands of people. If you work for a huge developer, people "express themselves" in the same way that I expressed myself at work fixing some mail server for someone. People have fixed mail servers in the past but this one needed fixing so I fixed it. If I had to build it from scratch to fix it, things would have been a lot worse, but thankfully I could build on what had already been created and just make it a little better.

Indie games aren't really like that but what they have in personality and authorship, they often lack in scope and polish. So I would refine my point to say that big companies should stick to making sequels, and indie dudes should keep making new IP. In a perfect world the big rich publishers would buy up all the indie devs once they make a couple of good games and give them hella polish while crushing their soul. I don't think that happens as much as it used to, so my point remains that big pubs should just stick to sequels and buying up IP.

Is that Devils Advocate Fred or Regular Fred? Like the QOTSA song?

tumblr_ln95plmeq61qzyqcno1_400.jpg

I don't even know anymore.

SOMEONE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
20130529_204826dgux4.jpg

Also after listening to an old old Idle Thumbs where Remo talks about making cardboard keyboard cutouts for Civ5 I printed out the Golden Reel locations for LA Noire from Rockstar Social Club when I went cheevo hunting for them lol
20130516_14585005uee.jpg

Not sure how worried I should be about my sanity at this point.

In better news Rated R is still one of the best albums of all time. QOSTA had a great run up until Era Vulgaris. Still do good stuff, just not 5/5 classic stuff.

Eh, sure language and the use of it changes and evolves but that's pretty different and much more gradual than a lot of game mechanic changes are. Broadening it to all art would make this discussion take a lot of time and really, I know shit about the history of stage performance, let alone my general videogame ignorance, so that time would probably be wasted.

So now that I've excused myself from addressing your point completely. Blockbuster videogames get made by thousands of people. If you work for a huge developer, people "express themselves" in the same way that I expressed myself at work fixing some mail server for someone. People have fixed mail servers in the past but this one needed fixing so I fixed it. If I had to build it from scratch to fix it, things would have been a lot worse, but thankfully I could build on what had already been created and just make it a little better.

Does Blockbuster even exist any more? The ones in Geelong shut down years ago and the one in Warrnambool closed last year.

Shaneus

dicks!

also yeah this hotline miami is pretty cooool! and yeah dat music! lttp etc..
You can access the beta update as well, which adds a bunch of stuff including (apparently) features in the Vita version that weren't included with the initial PC release.

Under the "code" option (properties, updates or something... where there's the option to choose different builds) enter the code "hlm" to get the good stuff.

Look at Mr Cool over there.
Damn straight. Providing straight-up beta access to all the coolest games. Thanks!

Stackboy

Gushing about my son.

I love how much you gush about your son man, it's refreshing.

On launch Fable 2 suffered a bug that prevented me from being able to finish the main quest. It wasn't patched for months. I've never bought anything with the word Fable on it again.

*Attempts to put down mic quietly, ends up smashing himself in the face, leaving blood all over the floor and also his dignity*

Oh and #teamfallout3.

Gazunta

I like two things

Shooting people in the face
And driving trucks on things

Crackdown is the greatest game of all time by this logic, and who am I to argue with logic.
I knew I liked you.

I like two things

Homing missiles
Jumping off buildings

CRACKDOWN

legend166

Anyway, let's get onto something fun.

AusGAF, I need a $1000 gaming PC build. Use www.arc.com.au

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand go!

Okay so this was the build I recommended to my brother a few months ago, anything better I should be looking at since then?

Motherboard - ASRock Z77 EXTREME3

CPU - Intel Quad Core i5 processor i5 3570K

RAM - G.Skill 16GB RAM

SSD - Crucial M4 128GB SSD

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Graphics Card - Gigabyte GTX660Ti

Power Supply - Corsair HX-650

Case - COOLERMASTER HAF RC-912

About 20% of this is true, and the other 80% makes you the worst human being who ever lived. I'm seriously rethinking my stance on capital punishment now.

Kritz

Banned
20% of the time I'm right all the time.

Also who's idea was it to try and finish my advanced games assignment the day it was due, and the day before our team has to show off release 1 in project. That person isn't very good at planning.

Top Bottom